Lori Quaid: 1

Black Bolt vs. Kylo Ren

MATCH SCORE
Black Bolt: 4
Kylo Ren: 3

Magnus

Movies

And I like GoT just the way it is.

However, I can understand why AvP would dislike the nudity/sex.

Things could get very awkward if you wanted to watch the show with family.

I loved Les Miserables. *vulgarity*ing awesome movie.

Not as great as the 10th Anniversary but it was a *vulgarity*in awesome flick.

• Like 1

It's not that I'm a pussy or even that it's awkward, really... I mean, I like a little graphic nudity as much as the next guy, but the sheer amount of it in GoT is ridiculous. The scenes with Khal Drogo and Daenerys, for example, I'm fine with, since they were in the book and are actually necessary to the plot, but there are scenes that had no nudity whatsoever in the novels, but had sex and nudity in the show. It's as if the directors feel they need attractive women showing their boobs every episode to keep the male audience interested, when this is obviously not the case.

Still a five-star show, to be sure, just a gripe I have.

AVP the reason why they have so much is because HBO has all there actors and actresses sign clauses in there contracts stating they have to agree to nudity for the tv shows there on. HBO actually wants there to be that much nudity on certain shows they have.

That was reported last year I think.

So maybe it's a Five Star Show due to the NUDITY THEN?!

Naw, that would be the awesome writing, dialogue and characters.

AVP the reason why they have so much is because HBO has all there actors and actresses sign clauses in there contracts stating they have to agree to nudity for the tv shows there on. HBO actually wants there to be that much nudity on certain shows they have.

That was reported last year I think.

Yes, I understand that HBO like nudity in their shows. It just seems silly and excessive to me.

True blood is on HBO and it doesn't have as much nudity and sex as GoT.

You think that's bad, the old HBO had the animated Spawn series on it, and if that was live action, it would have been rated at least NC-17.

I guess it depends on HBO and what show they want to have more nudity then it should.

I just saw the Hobbit. Very fun and great film. Can't wait to see the real battles begin in the sequels.

I saw Zero Dark Thirty and Django Unchained recently. Both were excellent.

Zero Dark Thirty was long and perhaps a bit dense/technical for the casual moviegoer, especially an action junkie who's only there to watch guys shoot terrorists. If that's what you're looking for, you'll be disappointed. In any case, watching the raid scene with an individual who actually does that kind of stuff for a living was an interesting experience.

Zero Dark Thirty was very interesting. Watching it with two veterans of two different branches is indeed cool.

I know it's already been talked about, but I sometimes like to go back to previous movies and rewatch them, especially since I bought this movie recently.

Dredd:

This is my favorite movie of 2012, one of my favorite movies of all time. It has a very simple plot, (Dredd and Anderson have to kill the drug lord at the top of a building to survive), it has almost no character development for Dredd (he's the same badass at the beginning as he is at the end), Dredd almost has no lines in the movie and all of these things work for me, I also thought a bit more about the characters themselves, namely Dredd and Ma-Ma.

Dredd

Watching the movie a few times I realized something about Dredd, when he has the chance to he seems to enjoy torturing his enemies. When he and Anderson raid the first drug den he simply fires shots into the gangsters because, I now realize, there's no time for anything else. He does this several times throughout the movie when faced with several enemies at once, quick shots to kill them as quickly as possible. However, later on when he kills a group of gangsters and meets Caleb, Ma-Ma's second in command, he specificallly takes the time to grab him and throw him out of the 100+something floor in front of Ma-Ma. There is another moment when he kills a bunch of fools with an incendiary round from across the apartment building. He sticks around and watches them burn (and watches one of them fall out the side of the building while on fire), now presumably he could be watching them to see if any survive, but this seems unlikely. He's too far (and a few floors above them) to pick any of them off from a distance if they did survive, I realized that he just likes watching them burn. This is shown in the beginning of the movie when he uses a Hotshot round on a gangster who had a hostage. He could have easily shot him with a simple bullet, but instead ops for an incendiary round that burns the guy's skull from the inside out. Then there is the ending, where he shoots up Ma-Ma with the drug Slo-Mo and throws her out the window of her loft on the 200th floor of the building. Sure, he had a reason to do so, but he had no reason to drug her up and extend her suffering any longer than necessary. Dredd is probably the cruelest character in the entire movie, being perhaps worse than the villain Ma-Ma.

Ma-Ma

I didn't really think about her too much the first few times I saw the movie, but now I realize that she's sort of a tragic character. Only a bit of this is mentioned by the characters (it is revealed that she was a prostitute before her pimp gave her that nasty scar-at which point she killed him and took over his gang empire), but revealed by the world itself. Early on in the movie a gangster shoots up a mall, resulting in several civilian deaths. Dredd, responding to the call, says something like "Require assistance, several civilian casualties and bodies for Resyk". The word "Resyk" appears a few times in the movies, and I'm pretty sure its slang for "recycling". A few minutes later a guy in a mini-street sweeper type thing is loaded up corpses and mopping up the blood right off of a corpse. An announcement also says "The mall will reopen in 15 minutes". So it's clear they are in a society that doesn't care too much about death. Dredd also flat out says "Convulsing, choking, breaking under its own weight. Citizens in fear of the street, the gun, the gang." It's got 800 million residents, with 17,000 major crimes reported each day and Judges only being able to respond to 6% of these reports. The Judges are clearly losing the fight against crime. Peach Trees, the mega-block where the movie takes place, has something like 76,000 inhabitants, with something like a 96% unemployment rate. Hell, there's a point in the movie where Dredd sees a homeless guy and asks Anderson for a judging, which results in something like "Vagrancy, 3 weeks in an iso-cube", so it's also a society where it's incredibly hard to make yourself better than what you are. Dredd's chief orders him to take Anderson on a trial run and says "Sink or swim. Throw her in the deep end." Dredd responds with "It's all a deep end."

All of this made me rethink Ma-Ma, since it's clear that she's a product of her world. If she grew up in Peach Trees, there'd be no way for her to get a job or an education, so what choice was there but to go into prostitution or join a gang? And her violence could just be a response to the violence already seen in society, even the violence of the police system. Hell, Judge Lex flat out says Mega City One is a meat grinder. "People go in one end and meat comes out the other," he tells Dredd. "All we do is turn the handle." Dredd, unlike in other movies, doesn't do anything to say that his view of the world is wrong. They both know that he's right, but unlike Lex, Dredd still works to maintain that system.

Also, I could be entirely wrong, but Dredd and Lex have awesome acting, something I think that is pretty cool considering all their acting is shown through their mouths. Lex, for instance:

Rewatch the scenes with Judge Lex, he's a villain and you can tell it just by looking at the way his mouth movies. It's always got spit on it, he's constantly smacking his lips, he has a really wierd way of talking that screams "scumbag" whenever you look at him.

Anderson

She is, perhaps, the actual main character of the movie, since she's the one that goes through the most character development. She's young, idealistic and wants to make a change... and by the end of the movie you get the feeling that all her ideals have been crushed and she's been beaten by the world around her. There's a great scene where, after she and Dredd take down a squad of gangsters one of them is still alive, looking straight at her and pleading for his life Dredd reminds her that he is guilty of the attempted murder of Judges, that the sentence is death and tells her that if she doesn't kill him she'll get an automatic fail on their trial run. In a move that I wasn't expecting the first time I saw the movie, she goes ahead and shoots him right in the head. Afterwards she's got this blank look on her face that, at least to me, I found hard to look at. That entire scene made me slightly uncomfortable in fact because it just seemed to wrong to execute a guy like that, even one who had just attempted to kill police officers. In other movies similar scenes happen, but they rarely happen with the idealistic rookie pulling the trigger, usually it's by the already grizzeled veteran killing someone and telling the rookie to learn from it.

I know it's already been talked about, but I sometimes like to go back to previous movies and rewatch them, especially since I bought this movie recently.

Dredd:

This is my favorite movie of 2012, one of my favorite movies of all time. It has a very simple plot, (Dredd and Anderson have to kill the drug lord at the top of a building to survive), it has almost no character development for Dredd (he's the same badass at the beginning as he is at the end), Dredd almost has no lines in the movie and all of these things work for me, I also thought a bit more about the characters themselves, namely Dredd and Ma-Ma.

Holy crap. Actually reading these, I look at that film in such a different way. It goes from being a mindless action movie with a simplistic plot (by no means a bad thing) to actually having some real depth there.

*SPOILERS BELOW TO ANYONE READING*

Dredd

Watching the movie a few times I realized something about Dredd, when he has the chance to he seems to enjoy torturing his enemies. When he and Anderson raid the first drug den he simply fires shots into the gangsters because, I now realize, there's no time for anything else. He does this several times throughout the movie when faced with several enemies at once, quick shots to kill them as quickly as possible. However, later on when he kills a group of gangsters and meets Caleb, Ma-Ma's second in command, he specificallly takes the time to grab him and throw him out of the 100+something floor in front of Ma-Ma. There is another moment when he kills a bunch of fools with an incendiary round from across the apartment building. He sticks around and watches them burn (and watches one of them fall out the side of the building while on fire), now presumably he could be watching them to see if any survive, but this seems unlikely. He's too far (and a few floors above them) to pick any of them off from a distance if they did survive, I realized that he just likes watching them burn. This is shown in the beginning of the movie when he uses a Hotshot round on a gangster who had a hostage. He could have easily shot him with a simple bullet, but instead ops for an incendiary round that burns the guy's skull from the inside out. Then there is the ending, where he shoots up Ma-Ma with the drug Slo-Mo and throws her out the window of her loft on the 200th floor of the building. Sure, he had a reason to do so, but he had no reason to drug her up and extend her suffering any longer than necessary. Dredd is probably the cruelest character in the entire movie, being perhaps worse than the villain Ma-Ma.

This is certainly true. It makes me thing that Dredd is by no means an idealistic or even a good person. I seriously suspect that he's been mentally damaged, perhaps to the point being a sociopath/psychopath. He genuinely wants to hurt these people and make them suffer when he gets the chance, and being a Judge gives him a license to do just that. It's particularly notable that when he shot the hostage taker with the incendiary round, in doing so he increased the risks of the hostage being killed. He's clearly not in it to protect innocents or make the world a better place. He wants to punish people.

Ma-Ma

I didn't really think about her too much the first few times I saw the movie, but now I realize that she's sort of a tragic character. Only a bit of this is mentioned by the characters (it is revealed that she was a prostitute before her pimp gave her that nasty scar-at which point she killed him and took over his gang empire), but revealed by the world itself. Early on in the movie a gangster shoots up a mall, resulting in several civilian deaths. Dredd, responding to the call, says something like "Require assistance, several civilian casualties and bodies for Resyk". The word "Resyk" appears a few times in the movies, and I'm pretty sure its slang for "recycling". A few minutes later a guy in a mini-street sweeper type thing is loaded up corpses and mopping up the blood right off of a corpse. An announcement also says "The mall will reopen in 15 minutes". So it's clear they are in a society that doesn't care too much about death. Dredd also flat out says "Convulsing, choking, breaking under its own weight. Citizens in fear of the street, the gun, the gang." It's got 800 million residents, with 17,000 major crimes reported each day and Judges only being able to respond to 6% of these reports. The Judges are clearly losing the fight against crime. Peach Trees, the mega-block where the movie takes place, has something like 76,000 inhabitants, with something like a 96% unemployment rate. Hell, there's a point in the movie where Dredd sees a homeless guy and asks Anderson for a judging, which results in something like "Vagrancy, 3 weeks in an iso-cube", so it's also a society where it's incredibly hard to make yourself better than what you are. Dredd's chief orders him to take Anderson on a trial run and says "Sink or swim. Throw her in the deep end." Dredd responds with "It's all a deep end."

All of this made me rethink Ma-Ma, since it's clear that she's a product of her world. If she grew up in Peach Trees, there'd be no way for her to get a job or an education, so what choice was there but to go into prostitution or join a gang? And her violence could just be a response to the violence already seen in society, even the violence of the police system. Hell, Judge Lex flat out says Mega City One is a meat grinder. "People go in one end and meat comes out the other," he tells Dredd. "All we do is turn the handle." Dredd, unlike in other movies, doesn't do anything to say that his view of the world is wrong. They both know that he's right, but unlike Lex, Dredd still works to maintain that system.

This is an interesting take on things. It's a little easier to sympathize with Ma-Ma. She's still a bad person, but at least it's understandable. In any case, it's not as if she deliberately goes out of her way to harm innocent people. Most of her victims are other criminals. And you put it perfectly: she's the product of the world around her. Doesn't excuse her actions, but it does make them more understandable.

I'm really hard-pressed to tag Lex as being more a bad person than Dredd. Lex is simply a person who doesn't believe in anything, one who's become disillusioned with the system. Yes, he's a greedy, opportunistic bastard. But he doesn't take pleasure in what he does; it's just business.

In the interest of salvaging the film's protagonist, is it possible that Dredd's something of a very jaded idealist at heart? Something clearly happened to him previously in life to make him what he is. So he uses his anger/psychopathy in the best possible way he can, clinging to a system that he has to believe is the best possible one. I found it interesting that when Anderson was reading his mind in the film's opening, the C/O stops her before she gives any deeper insight into Dredd's mind. I have to wonder what Anderson was about to say. I suspect the commander knows that Dredd is damaged and uses him as a bit of an attack dog, if that makes sense.

Dredd was amazing. I enjoyed it after seeing it yesterday. I like the implications of total authority vs. anarchy. I thought Anderson was well done, and Dredd was.... well. Dredd.

"I am the law."

It's such a shame that it didn't do well at the box office.

I wonder why... maybe people prematurely labeled it as completely mindless action and explosions, like some sort of Michael Bay film.

Dredd got good reviews and as far as box office I can't remember how well it did. I hope it did well enough to get a sequel in the future. Dredd as a character loves to punish criminals that do horrible things. Now whether it's because he has some messed up backstory like a Punisher or he is just that damn serious about being a Judge remains to be seen.