By UMPIRE

11:9 - Batman (Richard Grayson) vs. Raiden (Metal Gear)

MATCH SCORE
Batman (Richard Grayson): 7
Raiden (Metal Gear): 2

By UMPIRE

11:9 - Odie vs. Eternia

MATCH SCORE
Odie: 4
Eternia: 3

By UMPIRE

11:9 - Middle-Earth vs. Ronald Weasley

MATCH SCORE
Middle-Earth: 3
Ronald Weasley: 6

By UMPIRE

11:9 - Perry The Platypus vs. Raccoon City

MATCH SCORE
Perry The Platypus: 2
Raccoon City: 7

By UMPIRE

11:9 - Tobias Beckett vs. Kasumi Goto

MATCH SCORE
Tobias Beckett: 5
Kasumi Goto: 2

By UMPIRE

11:9 - Princess Merida vs. Mulan

MATCH SCORE
Princess Merida: 1
Mulan: 9

By UMPIRE

11:9 - Knock Out (Prime) vs. Beast

MATCH SCORE
Knock Out (Prime): 0
Beast: 8

By UMPIRE

11:9 - Catwoman vs. Dominic Toretto

MATCH SCORE
Catwoman: 8
Dominic Toretto: 2

By UMPIRE

11:9 - Mickey Goodmill vs. Herman Boone

MATCH SCORE
Mickey Goodmill: 6
Herman Boone: 5

By UMPIRE

11:9 - Mordin Solus vs. Doogie Howser

MATCH SCORE
Mordin Solus: 3
Doogie Howser: 5

By UMPIRE

11:9 - Nightwing vs. Jinx

MATCH SCORE
Nightwing: 8
Jinx: 1

By UMPIRE

11:9 - Sasuke (Ganbare Goemon) vs. Shinobi (Joe Musashi)

MATCH SCORE
Sasuke (Ganbare Goemon): 8
Shinobi (Joe Musashi): 0

By UMPIRE

11:9 - Neal Caffrey vs. Arthur Morgan

MATCH SCORE
Neal Caffrey: 2
Arthur Morgan: 5

By UMPIRE

11:9 - Scorpion (Mortal Kombat) vs. Cassandra Cain

MATCH SCORE
Scorpion (Mortal Kombat): 8
Cassandra Cain: 2

By UMPIRE

11:9 - Nathan Drake vs. Hasky

MATCH SCORE
Nathan Drake: 3
Hasky: 6

By UMPIRE

11:9 - Star Butterfly vs. Kida

MATCH SCORE
Star Butterfly: 2
Kida: 5

By UMPIRE

11:9 - Leonard McCoy (Star Trek 2009) vs. Hawkeye Pierce

MATCH SCORE
Leonard McCoy (Star Trek 2009): 9
Hawkeye Pierce: 2

By UMPIRE

Terror Toad vs. Moon Rock Aliens

MATCH SCORE
Terror Toad: 1
Moon Rock Aliens: 3

By UMPIRE

Inigo Montoya vs. Oberyn Martell

MATCH SCORE
Inigo Montoya: 3
Oberyn Martell: 1

By UMPIRE

William Riker vs. Demona

MATCH SCORE
William Riker: 1
Demona: 4

Movies

Magnus

Yeah I can't wait for Prometheus. That movie is gone be a huge hit and win some serious awards. I am interesting in how its related to the Alien universe.

Yeah, I agree that the Spider Man movie should not be an origin movie. Cause they're also introducing the Lizard (FINALLY), and you know that Spidey and the Lizard's origin will be linked together somehow. It's what they almost always do, and it drives me crazy.

Eh. At least it's bringing in more Comic Book Spider Man stuff. I mean, I love the Ultimate Universe as much as the next guy, but it just feels good to see some web shooters.

MARVANOTE: Also, watched "Woman in Black" yesterday. Was kind of tired, so semi-fell asleep. Still, better than the usual gore scary movies. However, Harry Potter will always be Harry Potter. I can't believe he's anyone else.

Actually, from looking at the trailers for Spider-Man, it will be, at least partially, an origin movie. The first 2/3 of the entire trailer shows his parents leaving(when he was a kid), him getting his powers, and getting used to them.

Ultimate Spiderman was the right way to go because that comic book series was a huge success for Marvel. It attracted Spiderman fans that had gotten tired of the comics back. non comic fans, and more.

Superhero movies, in my opinion, should never be origin stories. Anyone going to watch a Batman, Spiderman, Superman, Hulk etc movie already knows how those dudes got their powers. No need to waste a movie showing how someone got their powers, just start out with them already fighting fools or something.

Origin stories are the worst kind of "character development." I don't want to see what made you into a hero, I want to see how you deal with actually BEING a hero. Characters can change after their first two days of wearing spandex. Stop showing those same two days over and over again for different characters. DO something with them.

The problem is that most of the various superheroes, need an origin movie in order for the average movie-goer to understand who they are and why they act the way they do, just throwing them into the middle of a characters life story, is a fairly good way of just getting them confused and causing them to leave the cinema.

Didn't Daredevil try that? Like, skipping the origin?

I honestly can't remember anything from that movie.

But yes, I see why they lean towards the Ultimate Universe. The original comic book universe just kind of developed. It's hard to recreate that and not sound super ridiculous. The Ultimate Universe was made with the original universe/history already in mind (so they knew they were going to introduce Doctor Octopus, Kraven, etc). Naturally, that makes it easier to show on film. Still, I like the old stuff I remember reading. Eh. That's just me ranting.

MARVANOTE: And I agree with Landon to an extent. I don't want to watch Superman, Batman, and all the classic super heroes being nobodies for half a movie. I mean, you don't walk into a James Bond movie and see James sucking at shooting for thirty minutes.

• Like 1

Another way would be start with the hero already doing his thing and another character (probably someone who doesn't know the superhero) asking him how'd he get into this business. The hero can then just summarize his story.

"Well, I think i was bitten by a radioactive spider... but I didn't get into this whole business until my uncle was murdered. I vowed to catch the guy who did it."

"And did you?"

"Yes."

And that's it. Not half the movie being spent on him being normal, then getting his powers, then figuring out what to do with the powers, then designing a costume, then etc etc. It's not like every single detective movie, spy movie, war movie or similar spend the first half hour showing how the guy got into that business, it starts with people already knowing he's a badass and giving him a job.

Audiences aren't stupid. They don't need to see a character become who they are so long as said character does interesting things after the point we're introduced to them. While Uncle Ben's death is important to Spiderman's motivations, do we really need to see him get bitten by a spider and spend 30 minutes learning how to use his powers in order to "understand" that he's a dude with powers akin to a spider? Can't we learn that through paying attention to what he does? You could easily do a Spiderman movie where he's already been at it for awhile and we see one particularly eventful encounter with a villain, and in order to reflect on his motivations you could have Peter talk to someone about his uncle or something like that. You get the same information, and it has the same impact, but you don't waste the audience's time retelling the same Super Hero Origin Story you've seen in every other "origin" movie.

The HOW isn't important, it's the WHY, and we don't need to have an entire movie dedicated to WHY before we get to the genuinely interesting stuff.

• Like 2

I have a feeling when the Spiderman movie begins he will be Spiderman and then we get the origin story through a flashback or him telling Gwen how he got his powers. If you notice most of the previews and trailers don't focus on his origin and him learning to use his powers or anything like that. It's about his parent's secrets and the Conners.

Funny you

Flashbacks don't make sense because they are doing the same thing in a non-chronological order. There is no effective difference between:

Movie A opens with a normal dude then 30 minutes of him finding out he has powers

Movie B opens with a super powered dude then goes into a 30 minute flashback of him finding out he has powers

They might as well be the same movie that someone was watching out of order.

I'd prefer just a brief summary that he tells someone, kinda like in the Green Lantern movie, where he tells his friends he has super powers. If I remember correctly he just says "I found this alien who gave me this ring, and when I put it on I go all WOOOMPH and fight crime."

Well, with flashbacks, you wouldn't have to do the full 30 minutes that you're talking about.

Instead of (as we see in Spider-Man 1) having the entire first half of the movie, being Parker's life as a non-powered teen, then getting his powers, we could simply start with him being Spider-Man, then a brief flashback or two, of the field trip where he gets bitten by a spider, and another one of the near-accident where he discovers his powers. 2 simple flashbacks, and the 'origin' handled in 5 minutes.

You know what needs to end? Alien invasion movies in the vein of Independence Day and Transformers, where a plucky group of attractive, smart-ass military types defend Earth against impossible odds, destroying a huge city in what amounts to basically a 200 mil $ recruitment ad.

Enough of the Aliens VS US Military already. If they made it here they would win hands down, since the tech required for the travel would guarantee they are far ahead of us.

• Like 1

You know what needs to end? Alien invasion movies in the vein of Independence Day and Transformers, where a plucky group of attractive, smart-ass military types defend Earth against impossible odds, destroying a huge city in what amounts to basically a 200 mil $ recruitment ad.

Enough of the Aliens VS US Military already. If they made it here they would win hands down, since the tech required for the travel would guarantee they are far ahead of us.

Funny you say that. There planning on making Independence Day 2 and Michael Bay is doing Transformers 4. Hollywood is far from over with alien invasion movies it seems.

They'll keep making those films as long as people go see them...

But hey, at least the movies look good aesthetically.

MARVANOTE: Also, has "Chronicle" been discussed on these boards already? Thoughts?

Chronicle was a awesome movie. I absolutely loved it and the way it was shot was great. The kid that played Andrew is a good actor and I loved that TK finally gone shown on screen just how powerful it can be.

Has anyone seen Akira, who has seen Chronicle? The movies become very similar around the last 1/3 of the film. Still, I liked it, good points were brought up.