Jump to content
By UMPIRE

Pirates vs. Cowboys

MATCH SCORE
Pirates: 1
Cowboys: 3

By UMPIRE

Sogetsu Kazama vs. Jin Kazama

MATCH SCORE
Sogetsu Kazama: 1
Jin Kazama: 3

By UMPIRE

Chun-Li vs. Rachel (Ninja Gaiden)

MATCH SCORE
Chun-Li: 2
Rachel (Ninja Gaiden): 5

By UMPIRE

Baron Zemo vs. Khan Noonien Singh

MATCH SCORE
Baron Zemo: 3
Khan Noonien Singh: 0

By UMPIRE

Shiki (Samurai Shodown) vs. Yang

MATCH SCORE
Shiki (Samurai Shodown): 4
Yang: 0

By UMPIRE

Leonardo (Mirage) vs. Kyo Kusanagi

MATCH SCORE
Leonardo (Mirage): 3
Kyo Kusanagi: 1

By UMPIRE

Uchiha Itachi vs. Nasty Boys

MATCH SCORE
Uchiha Itachi: 3
Nasty Boys: 2

By UMPIRE

Asuka Kazama vs. Crimson Viper

MATCH SCORE
Asuka Kazama: 3
Crimson Viper: 4

By UMPIRE

Raphael (Mirage) vs. Iori Yagami

MATCH SCORE
Raphael (Mirage): 6
Iori Yagami: 4

By UMPIRE

Michael Myers vs. Jason Voorhees

MATCH SCORE
Michael Myers: 0
Jason Voorhees: 4

By UMPIRE

Domino (Marvel Comics) vs. Cybermen (Mondasian)

MATCH SCORE
Domino (Marvel Comics): 2
Cybermen (Mondasian): 3

By UMPIRE

Xu Wenwu vs. Sun Ce

MATCH SCORE
Xu Wenwu: 4
Sun Ce: 2

By UMPIRE

Bonne Jenet vs. Darli Dagger

MATCH SCORE
Bonne Jenet: 2
Darli Dagger: 6

By UMPIRE

12:15 - Clonetroopers vs. Orcs

MATCH SCORE
Clonetroopers: 0
Orcs: 11

By UMPIRE

12:15 - Lucky the Leprechaun vs. Willy the Hillbilly

MATCH SCORE
Lucky the Leprechaun: 9
Willy the Hillbilly: 2

By UMPIRE

12:15 - Copperhead vs. Shocker

MATCH SCORE
Copperhead: 5
Shocker: 6

By UMPIRE

12:15 - The Flash (Wally West) vs. Supergirl

MATCH SCORE
The Flash (Wally West): 4
Supergirl: 8

By UMPIRE

12:15 - Mandrill vs. Calender Man

MATCH SCORE
Mandrill: 7
Calender Man: 5

By UMPIRE

12:15 - Necrons vs. The Shi'ar Empire

MATCH SCORE
Necrons: 5
The Shi\'ar Empire: 8

By UMPIRE

12:15 - Mr. Peanut vs. Flo (Progressive)

MATCH SCORE
Mr. Peanut: 2
Flo (Progressive): 8

12:17 - Goblins vs. Stormtroopers


Recommended Posts

SEASON 12, ROUND 17

Goblins

Slot: The Team's Cannon Fodder
Season Wins: 3
Season Losses: 1
Fantasy Team Page
Read more about Goblins at Wikipedia
Official Site: Public Domain



Stormtroopers

Slot: The Team's Cannon Fodder
Season Wins: 4
Season Losses: 1
Fantasy Team Page
Read more about Stormtroopers at Wikipedia
Official Site: Lucasfilm LTD


Battle Terrain
Cannon Fodder Challenge: Medieval Reenactment

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Goblins may have weapon experience, but Troopers are deployed in anti-riot duty with shields and electroclubs. The Vibroblade is also part of their training. Throw in superior discipline and experience with mounts (swoop bikes) the Troopers put on a better show than a disorganized Goblin rabble.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Twogunkid said:

Goblins may have weapon experience, but Troopers are deployed in anti-riot duty with shields and electroclubs. The Vibroblade is also part of their training. Throw in superior discipline and experience with mounts (swoop bikes) the Troopers put on a better show than a disorganized Goblin rabble.

The Goblins will have even more experience wielding actual swords and shields, riding actual horses (and caring/preparing them), and they work perfectly well as a unit as well. And depending on what type of medieval this is... their wizards could even put on some magic displays if necessary. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To have a successful re-enactment the goblins need to actually organize themselves. Goblins have repeatedly shown themselves to be incapable of this in media.  Stormtroopers are organized to begin with. And de-electrifying their clubs and de-vibroing their blades, the troopers have experience with melee weapons. They also exist in a universe with energy bows and crossbows so there is familiarity with that as well.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Twogunkid said:

To have a successful re-enactment the goblins need to actually organize themselves. Goblins have repeatedly shown themselves to be incapable of this in media.  Stormtroopers are organized to begin with. And de-electrifying their clubs and de-vibroing their blades, the troopers have experience with melee weapons. They also exist in a universe with energy bows and crossbows so there is familiarity with that as well.

 

Ooh, I'd forgotten about bows as well. Again Goblins will have experience of those in spades. 

Agree that the Stormtroopers may have some limited experience, but their go to weapons are not the actual weapons that Goblins use. 

In terms of organising, Goblins can be organised. They operate in tribes, war parties, hunting parties and more.

The Stormtroopers may be able to march in a line a bit better, but as we can see from the photo of the scenario, this is a reenactment.  Goblins will have witnessed the actual thing, maybe even have actually taken part in it.

Experience of weapons and of the medieval environment, and the ability to reproduce this effectively win the day

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Culwych1 said:

Ooh, I'd forgotten about bows as well. Again Goblins will have experience of those in spades. 

Agree that the Stormtroopers may have some limited experience, but their go to weapons are not the actual weapons that Goblins use. 

In terms of organising, Goblins can be organised. They operate in tribes, war parties, hunting parties and more.

The Stormtroopers may be able to march in a line a bit better, but as we can see from the photo of the scenario, this is a reenactment.  Goblins will have witnessed the actual thing, maybe even have actually taken part in it.

Experience of weapons and of the medieval environment, and the ability to reproduce this effectively win the day

"You're a quick one," a voice said from behind him. Luke whirled around to find himself face-to-face with a white-armored face mask. "Not quick enough."

The stormtrooper raised a force pike and jabbed him in the chest. Luke's body shuddered uncontrollably as the electric shock blazed through him. There was an explosion of pain, and his legs collapsed beneath him. The massive shock paralyzed his nervous system. He lay on his back, unable to move, staring up at the stormtrooper. Helpless.

Luke prepared himself to die.

The force pike struck again.

More pain.

And then, only darkness."

- Taken from Rebel Force 1: Target.

A trooper took down Luke Skywalker with a pike, doesn't get much more old school than that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

22 minutes ago, Twogunkid said:

"You're a quick one," a voice said from behind him. Luke whirled around to find himself face-to-face with a white-armored face mask. "Not quick enough."

The stormtrooper raised a force pike and jabbed him in the chest. Luke's body shuddered uncontrollably as the electric shock blazed through him. There was an explosion of pain, and his legs collapsed beneath him. The massive shock paralyzed his nervous system. He lay on his back, unable to move, staring up at the stormtrooper. Helpless.

Luke prepared himself to die.

The force pike struck again.

More pain.

And then, only darkness."

- Taken from Rebel Force 1: Target.

A trooper took down Luke Skywalker with a pike, doesn't get much more old school than that.

I'm not convinved that a force pike that gives an electric shock when you jab someone compares at all to a medieval pike or sword. If the Stormtroopers are going around jabbing people and expecting electricity to make that person's legs collapse then its going to be a pretty poor reenactment. 

Something with no blade: 

Star-Wars-Cosplay-Emperor-s-Royal-Guard-

Isn't quite the same as this: 

medieval-pike.jpg

I'm giving the Goblins this one in that they'll have used the actual weapons: 

 

goblin-army.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's not as if swords and spears take a life-time of experience to master in the capacity of medieval warfare. Each individual soldier only needs to have relatively basic proficiency in order to take out most opponents. Things like military discipline, strategy, and physical strength are equally if not more important. That said, Goblins are often a threat in the worlds they inhabit, worlds which usually consist of large standing medieval armies, so you would have to think they have some level of discipline, strategy, etc. Most goblins I know use hit-and-run tactics, traps, sneak attacks, and numerical advantages to their advantage. If they're forced to actually stand and fight in an open field, they lose a lot of their usual tactics in most media I've seen. I'm torn on this one

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Peypeypeypey said:

It's not as if swords and spears take a life-time of experience to master in the capacity of medieval warfare. Each individual soldier only needs to have relatively basic proficiency in order to take out most opponents. 

Perhaps - but for the sake of a reenactment experience counts for a lot. Put a sword in someone's hand who is a trained figher with experience of battles with a sword, versus someone who us used to holding a blaster rifle and a difference will quickly become apparant. The same for pikes and other medieval weapons. 

Even more so if this reenactment uses bows and arrows, which a lot do. If there is a group of archers in each then the Goblins will by far be better trained. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The general premise of how to fight with a pike is the same regardless. The electro- clubs work exactly the same as other blunt weapons and the vibro blade without vibrating is still a blade. The troopers have training in sufficient melee weapon training to be proficient and certainly the discipline to properly showcase traditional pike and shot formations and the like.

 

In addition, if we want to get snippy, Stormtroopers are human and goblins are small and humanlike. Goblins typically are hunched over and tiny and their posture may make mimicking human medieval forms difficult or impossible possibly due to sheer physics. A 10-20 foot pike is a problem for them to space their hands out properly, in addition, the longbow is an impossibility as would the length is simply too much for their armspan.

The weight of the pike is not a problem (between 6-14 pounds depending on when we draw from), but the draw strength of a bow is.

The draw weight of a longbow is believed to be between 80-160 pounds (we do not have any real way to test beyond what was recoverd on the Mary Rose which suggests a warbow has a higher draw of 130-150 pounds) The average Goblin according to our friends at Wizards of the Coast is approximately 60 pounds.

Mark Stretton holds the world record for bow draw at 200 pounds at full draw. While it is conceivable you might have a very large Goblin or two capable of using a flight bow a full war bow is out of the question.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm kinda leaning toward the Goblins here. As mentioned, they have more experience with actual medieval gear, and odds are that both teams would have custom-fit medieval gear to use. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...