King Leonidas: 1

Kokoro vs. Ganryu

MATCH SCORE
Kokoro: 4
Ganryu: 3

Sign in to follow this  
broadwaybeyonder

Match 15655 Slappy vs. The Crypt Keeper vs. Gooey Gus

“This had better be good, Keeper,” muttered Slappy.  The dummy sat on an antique chair, gazing at the Crypt Keeper as he stood hunched over a table reading through one of his many books.  “I’ve got better things to do with my nights than be cooped up here in your dump of a crypt.”  The Crypt Keeper cackled as he shut the book, and turned his attention fully to Slappy.  “Heh heh heh heh.  Why, Slappy.  You shouldn’t say things that aren’t true.  You wouldn’t want your noise to start growing again.  Heh heh!” 

“That was Pinocchio, you pile of bones and pus!” snapped Slappy.  “I’ve been sitting here for an hour while you’ve just been reading that stupid book!”  “Ah, but there’s nothing like burying yourself in a good story.  Heh heh heh! “ The Crypt Keeper placed the book back on a shelf as voice grew more serious.  “You should consider yourself lucky that the only threat to you has been dying of boredom.  After your behavior at my last monster bash, I could have turned you into kindling the minute you set foot at my door again.” 

“You’re the one who invited Zeke the Plumber without telling anybody!” 

“That’s no reason for having a brawl that wrecked my haunted home!”

“How could you tell it was wrecked?  It always looks like this!”

The two stood eye to eye glaring at each other.  Then both cackled gleefully.  “Heh heh heh!  Oh, you really are a cut up, Slappy.  I’ve always had a soft spot in my…er…guts for you.  I’m willing to let die-gones be die-gones.  And to make it up to you, I’ve arranged a special trick r treat for you.”  The Crypt Keeper picked up an old remote, pressing a button and turning on a wall of televisions.  Through the static, Slappy could see a surveillance camera view of each room in the Keeper’s mansion above them.  But the cameras also revealed that they were not alone.  Hurrying from room to room were young humans, carrying kegs, dancing and chatting excitedly together. 

“What are these brats doing here?” said Slappy.   “These brats are from a community college near here,” explained the Crypt Keeper.  “Apparently someone invited them all to a night of thrills and chills in my mansion.”  Slappy looked back at the screens stunned.  “Let me get this straight.  These low rent co eds received anonymous invitations to a party in the most haunted looking house on Earth, and they all said yes?”  The Crypt Keeper grinned and nodded.  “I believe they thought it would be ‘lit’.  Heh heh heh!”  Slappy howled with laughter.  “Hahahaha!  Boy, I love humans!” 

The Crypt Keeper motioned to a book case.  “Behind that shelf is a passage way.  It will lead you up to the study.  From there I’m sure you can find some way to make our young fiends feel…comfortable.”  Slappy hurried to the book case, slipping a knife into his suit pocket.  “Oh I’m sure I can.  Thanks a lot, Crypty.  Whenever anyone tells me you’re not a nice guy….I’ll be sure to believe ‘em!  Hahahahahaha!”  Slappy pulled out one of the books, and the shelf moved aside to reveal a stairwell.  Slappy hurried up the steps as the book shelf swung back into place behind him.  

With the Living Dummy gone, the Crypt Keeper’s grin vanished.  “That stupid pile of termite food!  You really think I’d bring you here to bury the hatchet?  Heh heh.  Well you’re right.  I’ll bury it right in your wooden head!” The Crypt Keeper hurried across the crypt to a blue Igloo cooler wrapped in chains and padlocked.  He quickly undid the locks and lifted the lid of the cooler.  Inside, laid out on pile of ice, was a very ugly doll.  It was the size of a Cabbage Patch Kid, but it was purple, wrinkled, and hairless.  It was dressed in a red turtle neck sweater, black pants, and a black leather trench coat.  Carefully, the Crypt Keeper lifted the doll out of the cooler, brushing away the frost on it’s head.  “Shh.  There, there.  I’m sorry you had to be kept on ice for a while, but we must keep you a surprise for that demented Muppet up there.  Now, let’s see if you are still in good shirking order.”   He pressed a button on the back of the doll’s head.  The doll cycled through it’s pre-recorded catchphrases. 

I’M BURNING MAD!  I’M STEAMING MAD!”

“YOU LAUGHING AT ME?  YOU LAUGHING AT ME?!”

“SLIME ANYONE?”

After a final press of the button, a purple slime trickled out of the doll’s mouth.  The Crypt Keeper stuck his finger in the slime and put it in his mouth.  “Mmmm.  Grape bubblegum.  Heh heh!   Ya gotta love those retro 90s toys.  Although it would have been better if it was red scary or slaughter-melon flavored instead.  But no matter.  Now that I know you’re still functioning, why don’t you go warm yourself by the fire?  Or rather….IN it?”  The Crypt Keeper threw the doll across the crypt like a football, sending it flying into a stone fireplace.  A burst of flames shot out of the fireplace, soon replaced by billowing clouds of purple smoke. 

Out the smoke, crawling out on it’s hands and knees, was the doll.  It struggled to it’s feet, swaying to maintain it’s balance.  The toy that was once the size of a normal doll now stood at a towering 6 feet tall.  “I’M BURNING MAD!  I’M STEAMING MAD!”  it growled.  The Crypt Keeper clapped his hands triumphantly.  “Heh heh heh heh!  It worked!  The stories about Gooey Gus were true!  Talk about getting hot under the collar!  Heh heh heh!”  Gooey Gus pointed a shriveled hand at the Crypt Keeper.  “YOU LAUGHING AT ME?  YOU LAUGHING AT ME?!”

“Who? Me?  Oh not at all, my fruity fiend.  Don’t tell me you’re still feeling heated about me putting you in cold storage, are you?”  Gooey Gus squinted at the Crypt Keeper.  “SLIME ANYONE?” Gooey Gus reared back his head, and the Crypt Keeper jumped out the way behind a stone gargoyle.  Gooey Gus unleashed a torrent of purple slime from his mouth on the chair that Slappy had been sitting in.  Within seconds it was completely enveloped in slimy cocoon.  The Crypt Keeper peeked out to look at his ruined furniture.  “Oh boy.  I always liked that armchair.  I had it made of real arms.  But I really think you should focus your rage on someone who really is laughing at you.”  Gooey Gus lurched toward the Crypt Keeper.  I’M BURNING MAD!  I’M STEAMING MAD!”  “Yes, yes, my twisted pile of gum,” said the Crypt Keeper, pointing at the television screens which showed Slappy having taken the teenagers hostage in the study.  “But that little man there is the one laughing at you, not me.”  Gooey Gus cocked his head at the screen and stated as Slappy used his green breath to convert one the teenagers into a lifesized puppet.  “YOU LAUGHING AT ME?  YOU LAUGHING AT ME?!” 

“Yes, he is, Gus,” soothed the Crypt Keeper, patting his arm consolingly.  “And he’s going to keep laughing at you unless you do something about it.  So, my purple pal, what are you going to do about it?”  Gooey Gus looked with his bloodshot eyes at the televisions, then sent them crashing to the floor, and turned to glare at the Crypt Keeper.  “SLIME ANYONE?” “Perfect!” cried the Crypt Keeper, as he ushered Gooey Gus to the book case.  “Secret passage is through there.”  Gooey Gus looked confused at the briefcase, then melted himself into a slimy puddle and slid underneath to the other side. 

The Crypt Keeper rushed back to the television monitors, and set it on a desk to watch the fun.  In the study Slappy had finished with his victim.   On the floor was now a dummy with a painted face, and carved jaw, still wearing a varsity jacket.  “Please,” sobbed a blonde girl.  “Why are you doing this?”  Slappy drew close her, and pointed the knife toward her face.  “Because you are my slaves, sweetie.  I can do what ever I want to you.  You can either do as a say, or you can wind up like your friend over there.”  Another boy in a varsity jacket leaned toward Slappy, stopping short only because of the knife.  “Let us go, you psychotic little…”

His blustering was interrupted as the bookcase burst out into the study, sending books flying and the teenagers screaming and ducking for cover.  Slappy’s eyes widened as Gooey Gus entered the room.  “What are you supposed to be?  The Toxic Avenger?”  Gooey Gus stepped over the fallen bookcase toward Slappy.  I’M BURNING MAD!  I’M STEAMING MAD!”  Slappy couldn’t believe his eyes.  “Wait a minute.  You’re that freak from that PBS show?  Did Keeper put you up to this?”  Gooey Gus stretched out his arms toward Slappy.  “YOU LAUGHING AT ME?  YOU LAUGHING AT ME?!”  Slappy waved the knife dismissively at the lumbering slime monster.  “Yeah, yeah.  You weren’t much for conversation back in the day either, were you?  As you can see I’m busy right now so why don’t you hop on the next Greyhound to Brooklyn and I’ll…”  Suddenly the boy in the varsity rushed forward, knocking aside Slappy and charging toward Gooey Gus with fists raised.  “Leave us alone, you freaks!” he cried swinging punch at Gus’ chest.  The fist sunk into slime that made up Gooey Gus.  The boy tried to pull back his fist, but it was stuck tight.  Gooey Gus looked down at the arm stuck in his chest, then glared down at the foolish boy. 

“SLIME ANYONE?”

The last sensations the boy experienced was the blast of slime dislodging him from the monster’s chest, the feeling of flying through air, crashing against a wall, then the world turning purple as the slime cocooned around him, attaching him to the wall.  The other teenagers scattered, screaming and running to various rooms in the mansion.  Gooey Gus looked around the room. 

“Hey!  Raisin Brain!”  Gus turned around to see Slappy, flanked by two teenagers converted into dummies, and using his magic to grow to Gus’ height.  “You’ve made the worst mistake of your life, gruesome.  And after I’m done with you, I’m gonna make the Crypt Keeper pay!”  Gooey Gus raised his arms above his head as he roared.  I’M BURNING MAD!  I’M STEAMING MAD!”  Slappy readied his knife and he charged forward with his puppets behind him.  “Yeah?  Join the club.” 

OK:

Slappy: Has all his abilities from books/movies.  I’ve added that he can use his magic to grow to human size, but it will wear down over time.  He can ‘recharge’ but he must revert to dummy size while he does. 

The Crypt Keeper: Has all his abilities from his shows. 

Gooey Gus: Gus is essentially Clayface crossed with a zombie.  He can project his slime to trap people and turn to slime himself to get passed locked doors.  He can be weakened by cold or substances that soften his gum based body.  If he gets too cold, he loses strength and returns to doll size. 

Slappy or Gus win by destroying the other, then taking out Crypt Keeper.  The Crypt Keeper wins if the teenagers destroy Slappy and Gus (leaving them easy pickings for the Crypt Keeper), or if he destroys the winner of Slappy/Gus himself. 

Game On!

• Like 1

Learn More About
Slappy
Read more about Slappy at Wikipedia
Official Site: R.L. Stine Links: NOTLD wikipedia page Goosebumps: NOTLD III Yahoo Movies NOTLD III page

The Crypt Keeper
Read more about The Crypt Keeper at Wikipedia
Official Site: Warner Video Links: Wikipedia Wikipedia retrocrush

Gooey Gus
Read more about Gooey Gus at Wikipedia
Official Site: PBS Links: Wikipedia

Awesome set up! I really enjoyed it a lot!

Will need to think on this one before I can make a decision

• Like 1

I liked this match quite a bit, and I found it pretty neat how you managed to combine all three of these '90s characters into a single match.

Props to you on that, it was pretty creative in its inception and its conceptualization.

There were some spelling and grammar issues here and there but it was well done.

For the match, I'm liking Gus here, true Slappy has a proven track record and is pretty hard to put down, but in a way, I'm thinking that it will be much harder for him to defeat Gus than it would for Gus to defeat the latter.

Reason being, Gus may move slow and be lumbering, but his gum is nearly impenetrable if it hits someone, and his body, in being made of gum would prevent any real damage from being inflicted on him by Slappy, unless Slappy manages to get his hand on cold items to attack Gus with in such a sort period of time, unlikely but possible.

Crypt-Keeper would likely hold a bit more of an advantage here against Gus, although I am inclined to think Gus might still be able to defeat him as well, as certain episodes of Tales from the Crypt didn't always go on the way that the Keeper was hoping for, in terms of the bookends, so Gus still has a shot based on that.

Slappy vs the Keeper would certainly be closer in terms of a winner, but if it came down to that I could also see Slappy prevailing, though it would probably be about the same amount of times as it would be with Gus, perhaps a bit more, perhaps a bit less, but not too much further beyond that probability.

• Like 2

Phenomenal Setup. I really enjoyed it. I don't know if the theme of story telling was intentional on top of the 90s lite horror motif, but it totally works. Slappy gaining fame from the Goosebumps series, Gooey Gus coming from a Ghostwriter episode about creative writing, and everyone knows the Crypt Keeper loves a good story. 

As for who would win, I think I am going with Gooey Gus, despite him being a massive goober. I appreciate the Crypt Keeper pulling the strings, but I don't think he has the power to prevail. If Slappy and Gooey Gus were going at it nearby a walk in freezer I would trust Slappy to oustmart his opponent and win, Unfortunately for the living dummy that is not the case. Great job.

• Like 1

Great match with some rarely used characters. I love me some Crypt Keeper. This match is a close one, so I think Crypt comes out on top. It's a slight margin though.

• Like 1

Match Final Results

RATINGS SCORE: 4.40
1 regular members rated the match.
2 CBUB Match Judges rated the match.

MATCH SCORE
Slappy: 1
The Crypt Keeper: 3
Gooey Gus: 3