Jump to content
By UMPIRE

Donatello (Mirage) vs. Jubei Yagyu

MATCH SCORE
Donatello (Mirage): 4
Jubei Yagyu: 3

By UMPIRE

Battlesphere Battle Royal Part 18 Match 17279 Chloe Bourgeois vs. Baby Doll vs. Ladybug

MATCH SCORE
Chloe Bourgeois: 1
Baby Doll: 0
Ladybug: 2

By UMPIRE

Minute Men (Kaiserreich) vs. The French Foreign Legion

MATCH SCORE
Minute Men (Kaiserreich): 1
The French Foreign Legion: 2

By UMPIRE

G.I. Joe vs. Zombies vs. The Super Hero Taisen Army

MATCH SCORE
G.I. Joe: 2
Zombies (Return of the Living Dead): 1
The Super Hero Taisen Universe: 5

By UMPIRE

Doctor Strange vs. Fat Buu

MATCH SCORE
Doctor Strange: 6
Fat Buu: 1

By UMPIRE

Space Jockey Alien vs. Astro Megazord

MATCH SCORE
Space Jockey Alien: 2
Astro Megazord: 4

By UMPIRE

Michelangelo (Mirage) vs. Galford D. Weller

MATCH SCORE
Michelangelo (Mirage): 6
Galford D. Weller: 3

By UMPIRE

Cybermen (Mondasian) vs. Agent Bishop

MATCH SCORE
Cybermen (Mondasian): 5
Agent Bishop: 1

By UMPIRE

King Triton vs. The Leviathan (Atlantis)

MATCH SCORE
King Triton: 6
The Leviathan (Atlantis): 1

By UMPIRE

Daredevil vs. Michael Myers

MATCH SCORE
Daredevil: 8
Michael Myers: 2

By UMPIRE

Leonardo (Mirage) vs. Haohmaru

MATCH SCORE
Leonardo (Mirage): 6
Haohmaru : 4

By UMPIRE

11:11 - Julian Bashir vs. Hawkeye Pierce

MATCH SCORE
Julian Bashir: 2
Hawkeye Pierce: 7

By UMPIRE

11:11 - Master Shifu vs. Eric Taylor

MATCH SCORE
Master Shifu: 2
Eric Taylor: 4

By UMPIRE

11:11 - Ryu Hayabusa vs. Deathstroke

MATCH SCORE
Ryu Hayabusa: 3
Deathstroke: 4

By UMPIRE

11:11 - Arthur Morgan vs. Robin Hood

MATCH SCORE
Arthur Morgan: 1
Robin Hood: 5

By UMPIRE

11:11 - Kida vs. Princess Merida

MATCH SCORE
Kida: 3
Princess Merida: 6

By UMPIRE

11:11 - Puss in Boots (Shrek) vs. The Cube

MATCH SCORE
Puss in Boots (Shrek): 3
The Cube: 4

By UMPIRE

11:10 - Dr. Herbert West vs. Julian Bashir

MATCH SCORE
Dr. Herbert West: 7
Julian Bashir: 2

By UMPIRE

11:10 - Princess Merida vs. Princess Fiona

MATCH SCORE
Princess Merida: 8
Princess Fiona: 4

By UMPIRE

11:10 - Elektra vs. Ryu Hayabusa

MATCH SCORE
Elektra: 7
Ryu Hayabusa: 5

Match 15459 Heracles (Greek Mythology) vs. Thor (Mythology)


Culwych1
 Share

Recommended Posts

"Welcome adventurer! Welcome to the Harpy's Claw. What can I serve you tonight?"
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These are the first words you hear as you embark on CBUB's very own choose your own adventure story set in an ancient times of myths and legends. An announcement has been sent to every corner of the world by the Pharaoh of Egypt. The ancient tomb of Amenhotep had been discovered! Reputed to hold the most amazing treasures and the magical items, this was the adventure of a lifetime and a promise of riches beyond belief for anyone who could brave the journey to tomb, and above all survive the many perils they would face along the way. It is the Tourney of the Tomb!
 
This is a concept story only, so you won't need to grab a dice and paper for this one. Future adventures may well see you create a character, increase their stats, and risk it all in the heat of battle.  In this adventure you are Paraephis, known to many as The Nomad, a wondering warrior and mage who travels from country to country, solving mysteries and advising emperors. 
 
So welcome to the adventure, where your decisions affect your fate and that of the world itself!
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
01
 
It has been a long journey to arrive at the port of Epitrillum in the southern Greek Empire. You sit yourself down at the grubby bar, facing the large hairy satyr in front of you. He is absentmindedly rubbing down a cup with a cloth so filthy that it could only be making the cup dirtier. He raises his eyebrow and repeats his question. 
 
"Our deals of the day are on the finest northern ale, and our deep red wine. So, what'll it be? 
 
If you choose a tankard of ale, proceed to 10
If you choose a dark wine, proceed to 23.
If you'd rather order a pink cocktail with a pretty umbrella, proceed to 17
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
02
 
Dawn breaks through the small room's window and finds you already awake and sharpening your sword. 
 
You gather your things, pay the clearly hungover satyr, and make your way to the docks to find the Norse Wind. It's an easy ship to find, large and ornate with a curling dragon statue jutting proudly from the bow. Kadmoc the dwarf is waiting at the dock, his huge axe in hand and eyes steadily sweeping back and forth across the throngs of people and creatures making their way back and forth before him. His eyes lock on you and an easy grin spreads across his face. 
 
"Glad you could make it Nomad."
 
You nod back, "the pleasure is mine Kadmoc. I hear good things about the Norse Wind and look forward to fighting by your side."
 
You board the ship, the creaking of the wood and the splash of waves is instantly familiar to you. The crew seem battle hardened but look friendly and glad to have you on board. A young warrior shows you to your cabin, a small room but with enough space to store your weapons and belongings, and with bed that is surprisingly comfortable. 
 
There seems to be no one else joining the ship, so they hoist the sails and draw up the anchor. Soon a favorable wind is taking the ship away from Greece, and towards the hot shores of Egypt. 
 
You spend some time chatting to the warriors but they soon take the hint that you prefer your own company. The voyage is uneventful, until one day you hear a loud "Land ahoy!"
 
You gather your weapons. Go to 16
 
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
03
 
You and Kadmoc share a small boat as you head towards the beach. You take the time to cast some spells on yourself and the crew; magic armor crackles all over you, and you feel your sword become lighter at your side. Your eyes focus and the world seems suddenly more vivid and bright. 
 
When you all arrive at the beach the first thing you notice is the quiet. A deathly, unearthly quiet that should not be possible in this vibrant sunny setting. 
 
Immediately you draw your sword, and after a moment you notice Kadmoc draw his axe and the sailors follow suit. 
 
Only Thor seems at ease, striding forward to face the danger head on. Although you notice his hand stray towards Mjolnir and gently tap it. 
 
Just when the silence could seem to drag on forever, it breaks with an almighty crack and you see the earth split open and a huge hideous face appear. A huge snake, followed by another and another, easily the size of elephants but with thick coils of muscle, are rampaging among the men. In fact, as you approach, you realise quickly that these snakes are not just the size of elephants- but they also have the heads of them too! Huge tusks and poison-dripping fangs sprout from their grotesque visages.
 
You realise in a moment what these creatures are: Grootslang! Legendary monsters from ancient times, older than even Thor himself, and they are heading straight for you. 
 
Thor has already leaped forward to engage the snakes, and you and Kadmoc rally the other sailors quickly to your side to form a wall of steel. 
 
As the men engage the snakes in battle, you cast a spell that you thought you'd never had to cast. The Unmaker. Drawing from the raw power of the cosmos, this spell wraps itself around all your weapons, infusing them with negative energy. This is death magic, the only thing that is truly effective against the island's own death magic and which you hope will prove effective against the Grootslang. 
 
Soon you discover that you were right! Snakes lie dying as you and your comrades cut a bloody path through them, but not without some casualties. 
 
Almost as quickly as it began the battle is over and you and the men lean on each other to rest a moment, still ready for the next attack. 
 
Thor joins you, slapping your back with a mighty fist that nearly sends you flying forward. "So we are lucky the great Nomad decided to join our party after all!" he roars with laughter, and then stops suddenly. 
 
He turns slowly, just as you feel the same thing he did. A great power is slowly making its way towards you.
 
From the direction you both face you see a loan warrior approaching. He is huge, easily matching if not taller and broader than Thor himself. Across his back he has a lion's hide, and a huge bow and arrow. Casually slung over one shoulder is a huge club. 
 
"By Odin" whispers Kadmoc, "It is Heracles, the demi-god."
 
Thor nods, then quick turns around. 
 
"Quick, all of you, back to the boat - it is a trap! They're after the Wind!"
 
He then turns towards the Greek, and hefts Mjolnir in his hands. He slowly stalks towards the newcomer. 
 
Proceed to 15.
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
04
 
Having thought about it, you decide that journeying with the Greek demi-god may not be the best option at this stage. He shakes your hand and says that there is always a spot on his ship if you change your mind, but that they set sail tomorrow. 
 
You make your way to the docks and meet with many ship owners. It seems that all the world has heard of this Tourney, and travelers, merchants, heroes and scoundrels alike have made their way to this city in search of transport. You encounter a familiar face, the dwarf named Kadmoc and he tells you of his ship the Norse Wind, a large ship that is also looking for a mage/warrior to join the crew and sail to Egypt. 
 
In the end there are seem to be only two trustworthy vessels which could lead you to your destination. 
 
To travel with the Nemean and the demi-god Heracles, go to 25
To travel with the Norse Wind and the god Thor, go to 02
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
05
 
Water laps at the golden sand and you gratefully rest your body on the warm embrace of the island. 
 
You look around and see that Heracles is on his feet, as are a few other warriors and sailors. You estimate perhaps half of the crew have fortunately survived, quite a feat considering how deadly the Leviathan truly was. 
 
"We should make our way inland, see what is there and prepare food and shelter for nightfall" says Heracles, and the crew immediately gather what weapons they can salvage and prepare. 
 
"Wait" you say "there is something about this island. "some magic"
 
Heracles nods. "I feel it too. But whatever this is we will overcome, and we must find somewhere for the wounded" 
 
You take the time to cast some spells on yourself and the crew; magic armor crackles all over you, and you feel your sword become lighter at your side. Your eyes focus and the world seems suddenly more vivid and bright.
 
You start to make your way inland, into the forest and note that it is deathly quiet. 
 
Just when the silence could seem to drag on forever, it breaks with an almighty crack and you see the earth break open and a huge hideous face appear. A huge snake, followed by another and another, easily the size of elephants but with thick coils of muscle, are rampaging among the men. In fact, as you approach, you realise quickly that these snakes are not just the size of elephants- but they also have the heads of them too! Huge tusks and poison-dripping fangs sprout from their grotesque visages.
 
You realise in a moment what these creatures are: Grootslang! Legendary monsters from ancient times. 
 
As the men engage the snakes in battle, you cast a spell that you thought you'd never had to cast. The Unmaker. Drawing from the raw power of the cosmos, this spell wraps itself around all your weapons, infusing them with negative energy. This is death magic, the only thing that is truly effective against the island's own death magic and which you hope will prove effective against the Grootslang. 
 
Soon you discover that you were right! Snakes lie dying as you and your comrades cut a bloody path through them, but not without some more casualties. 
 
Almost as quickly as it began the battle is over and you and the men lean on each other to rest a moment, still ready for the next attack. 
 
Heracles joins you and places a large hand on your shoulder. 
 
"Thank you Nomad, you have done well..." he is about to say more when he suddenly goes still. 
 
You feel it too. Even as your own battle was being fought, another has raged not far from you, and there is a power there as mighty as Heracles himself. 
 
"By Zeus" whispers Heracles, then grins and hefts his club. "A challenge at last!"
 
Proceed to 13
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
06
 
You leave the tavern with Tydeus leading the way. You wonder together through the streets of Epitrillum, and soon lose any sense of direction as house after house passes you by. You keep enough sense to know that you are indeed heading towards the docks. 
 
Suddenly Tydeus stops, and turns to face you. 
 
"I think we have come far enough Nomad" he says, that easy grin never leaving his face. 
 
You look around, and see about ten men appear out of the shadows of doorways and corners. They all are dressed for battle, with weapons already drawn. You realise this is obviously something they are used to doing, and are comfortable with their weapons. They must be paid by one of the other competitors in the tourney to take out as many adventurers as they can. 
 
"You shouldn't have accepted my offer Nomad" says Tydeus, drawing his own curved sword. 
 
You draw your own and whisper some enchantments as you prepare for battle. 
 
Proceed to 14.
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
07
 
Leaving Thor to his own carnage, you surge forward in a whirlwind of death and destruction and you find that the death magic you have infused into your weapon has proven effective against the Grootslang. You slash at one and its skin rips open. It roars in fury, and you duck as the giant tusks fly past your head. The other snakes turn at the noise of their fallen brethren, and it almost seems as they can smell your magic. Two more quickly follow and you cut them down. Fortunately, the defensive spells you cast whilst you were on the boat are still in place and absorbing much of the damage which would otherwise have hurt you by now. This seems to rally the warriors and they rush forward roaring their own battle cries. 
 
Snake after snake falls as you lead the men in a devastating charge, and it what seems like minutes, the battle is over. 
 
You peer around you and see the men starting to relax. Grootslang bodies lie everywhere, as do the fallen comrades from the Norse Wind. You lower your sword wearily, waiting for another attack. 
 
Kadmoc the dwarf steps besides you, dripping with gore. He is out of breath an offers you a smile of thanks. 
 
Thor joins you, slapping your back with a mighty fist that nearly sends you flying forward. "So the great Nomad decided to stop cowering on our ship!" he roars with laughter, and then stops suddenly. 
 
He turns slowly, just as you feel the same thing he did. A great power is slowly making its way towards you.
 
From the direction you both face you see a loan warrior approaching. He is huge, easily matching if not taller and broader than Thor himself. Across his back he has a lion's hide, and a huge bow and arrow. Casually slung over one shoulder is a huge club. 
 
"By Odin" whispers Kadmoc, "It is Heracles, the demi-god."
 
Thor nods, then quick turns around. 
 
"Quick, all of you, back to the boat - it is a trap! They're after the Wind!"
 
He then turns towards the Greek, and hefts Mjolnir in his hands and slowly stalks towards the newcomer. 
 
Proceed to 22
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
08
 
You watch the warriors depart for the island, and immediately start casting some protection spells on yourself. Whatever happens next, you need to be prepared. 
 
Magic armor crackles all over you, and you feel your sword become lighter at your side. Your eyes focus and the world seems suddenly more vivid and bright. 
 
You grip the hard wood of the ship as you stare across the empty waters to the island, hoping to pierce the distance and see what was happening there. You wait, with the few remaining warriors on the ship, straining to hear something. 
 
And then you do. The all too familiar sounds of battle. The war cries of warriors and the howls, growls and shrieks of their mysterious enemy. 
 
The wood almost starts to buckle under your grip as frustration grips your heart. Proceed to 11
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
09
 
The Nemean is a huge ship, painted a deep dark red and with expansive sails that propel it through the water at speed. The stern curves backwards on itself in the image of a fish's tail, and small siren statues sit at equal distance along the bow. 
 
Heracles and the crew spend their time recounting old war stories and drinking rich wine and mead. Most are warriors, although there are a few mages and sailors as well. 
 
You make good speed through the crashing waves for three days, and you feel a sense of ease as you mix with the crew. Anticipation of what is to come when you get to Egypt grips everyone, and some are already counting the ways they can spend their share of the undoubtedly exaggerate treasure. 
 
On the fourth day a sailor up high on the deck shouts that he has spotted land far in the distance. But his words are cut short as he looks in another direction. "Something is coming!" he screams, and immediately the crew scramble around for weapons. 
 
You all peer over the edge of the ship, studying every wave and movement of the water that could give a clue as to what was coming. 
 
Then suddenly an absolutely immense figure appears below the waves. 
 
"It is a Kraken!" shouts a sailor, and they all ready their spears. 
 
"No..." you say, and realise that it is already too late. The shape that you can see, which already dwarfs the ship, is but part of the beast. "... it is the Leviathan"
 
Without any further warning the massive shape emerges from the depths, raises above the water so high that it blocks out the sun, and then crashes down on the Nemean. The ship splits down the middle with an almighty crack, and even Heracles can do nothing but be flung into the water. 
 
The Leviathan continues on its way, not even pausing or perhaps even aware that you were in its way. 
 
Clinging to bits of driftwood, you and what remains of the crew make your way to the island. 
 
Proceed to 05
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
10
 
The satyr nods, and looks at you expectantly until you slide a silver coin across the counter towards him. He makes it disappear and then grabs a large, and thankfully clean, tankard and fills it with a beautiful dark golden ale. He passes it to you and you take a swig of the surprisingly decent brew. You smile appreciatively and he turns away. 
 
"It's not half bad is it!" exclaims a voice by your side. 
 
You look over, and then down, and find yourself staring into a face that is 5% eyes, 20% nose and the remaining 75% hair and beard. The dwarf smiles at you and takes a huge gulp of his own tankard. He lets out a loud belch and then jumps up lithely onto the stool next to yours. You notice that his bare arms are huge, corded with muscle and battle scarred, and that he has a dwarven axe slung across his back. 
 
"So, you here for the tourney as well lad?" he says, looking at you with his piercing eyes. 
 
You nod cautiously, go to 20
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
11
 
The cries and sounds of battle continue to assault your senses, and you realise that without your help these men could soon be dead. Thor would undoubtedly win the day, but how many men would perish whilst he did so! Finally you hear the sound that galvanises you into action - a roar from the dwarf Kadmoc, and then a "NOMAD, FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, GET OUT HERE AND HELP US!"
 
You leap dexterously over the edge straight on to one of the two remaining rowing boats moored to the side of the great ship. A simple strength spell enhances you for a short while, but it is enough to have you racing towards the shore as you pull on the oars. The water churns on either side of you with your broad strokes. 
 
A few moments later you are at the island, and without hesitating jump out of the boat and with one fluid moment are running towards the sounds of battle. 
 
What you see stops you in your tracks: huge snakes, easily the size of elephants but with thick coils of muscle, are rampaging among the men. In fact, as you approach, you realise quickly that these snakes are not just the size of elephants- but they also have the heads of them too! Huge tusks and poison-dripping fangs sprout from their grotesque visages and you see men already lying dead on the floor with great wounds seeping blood into the sands. 
 
You realise in a moment what these creatures are: Grootslang! Legendary monsters from ancient times, older than even Thor himself. You quickly look around to see Thor fairing well against them, Mjolnir laying about him in a whirlwind of death. But his warriors aren't fairing as well. Apart from Kadmoc and a small group who are fighting back to back and just about managing to keep the monsters at bay, the rest are dead or soon to be dead if you don't do something quickly. 
 
You draw your sword, and cast a spell that you thought you'd never had to cast. The Unmaker. Drawing from the raw power of the cosmos, this spell wraps itself around you and your sword, infusing it with negative energy. This is death magic, the only thing that is truly effective against the island's own death magic and which you hope will prove effective against the Grootslang. 
 
If you go to help Thor, proceed to 21
If you rush to save the warriors, go to 07
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
12
 
You try lift Kadmoc, but he is too weak and any further movement could easily kill him. 
 
"Go.... to the boat..." he whispers, before losing consciousness. 
 
You turn and run towards the beach, knowing that you will be too late. 
 
Despite running as fast as you can, when you arrive at the beach you see your small boats already in the water. and on their way to the Norse Wind. You could throw a fireball but there was too high a risk of damaging the Wind. 
 
You hear lightning crack and rocks smash behind you as the gods meet in a ferocious clash, and you sink to your knees in the sand as the newcomers board the Wind.  
 
....To Be Continued
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
13
 
You look at the crew, taking in their exhaustion. 
 
"They are in no position to fight" you say to Heracles. 
 
"Agreed, this is my fight. Whoever else is on this island must have a ship. Go, find it, and I'll join you as soon as I've dealt with this." 
 
You can sense the battle readiness coming off him, a rage that grips him and will not leave him until his opponent lies dead at his feet. 
 
You nod and watch as he strides further into the forest, ready for whatever force awaits him there. Gathering the crew, you go back to the beach and start making your way around the beach towards where the others likely arrived from. 
 
Before long you see a ship anchored not far from the island, and a few smaller boats resting in the sand. 
 
You hear lightning crack and rocks smash behind you as the powers meet in a ferocious clash, and with the crew you make a dash for the boats, ready to take them on to the larger ship and whatever destiny awaits you. 
 
....To Be Continued
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
14
 
Without a word the men surge forward and blades flash in the air. But you are already on the move, ducking and weaving and lashing out with your own sword. Within seconds, three attackers lay bleeding on the ground. You summon a globe of light and thrust it in another's face, and he reels away blinded; you spin in the other direction quick enough to avoid another blade, and stab a man through the throat. You feel steel cut through your arm and blast the attacker with an acid spray spell; he screams as the skin on his face melts and drops dead in a minute. 
 
The battle rages on and you soon find that you are facing just a couple of men, including Tydeus. Bodies lay strewn across the ground, blood soaking into the dirt. 
 
"Damn Nomad! You are tougher than expected, but not sure you have enough left for all of us" he laughs, and at least ten more men step out of the shadows. You notice at least two of them are carrying dwarven forged repeating crossbows. 
 
This could be trouble. 
 
You raise your sword slightly, ready to cast your next spell, when a huge arrow flies past your ear and right into a man's face. He is thrown back and pinned against a wall!
 
"I say we should even the odds!" booms a loud voice, and one of the largest men you have ever seen strides past you wearing a lionskin over his shoulders and carrying a massive club in hand. With one swing he takes out two attackers who, with an awful crunch of breaking bone, are actually sent flying onto the roof of a building. You are galvanized into action, and spring at Tydeus whilst the newcomer cracks a few more skulls. You battle back and forth with Tydeus, and before long you spot an opening; a overreach leaves his side open wide and you plunge your sword into his side. He stares at you incredulously and then gently sinks to his knees, dead before his whole body hits the ground. 
 
The huge man turns to you and grins, pulls a rag out of his pocket and starts cleaning blood and gore off his club. 
 
"Looks like you were in a bit of a pickle there! Glad I could help."
 
You feel the awesome power from this man, a divine presence and suddenly realise who you are facing. 
 
"You are Heracles!" you state, almost in a state of shock. 
 
"And you are the one they call Nomad. It is a pleasure to meet you. Glad I could help."
 
"Yes, thank you" you reply. "But why did you help?"
 
He smiles broadly and explains that he had been passing by in any case on his way to his ship, the Nemean. But, seeing as he did help and he noticed that you had a fair share of magic at your disposal, he could always make use of a mage and a warrior as part of his crew! 
 
If you decide to join Heracles aboard the Nemean, go to 09
If you decline and decide to find your own ship, go to 04
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
15
 
Kadmoc beckons you to follow him. 
 
"I'm going to need you Nomad, help me lead these men to protect the Wind."
 
You and all the rest of the warriors storm towards the ship with weapons drawn, and see a band of warriors already at the beach trying to steal your small boats. They swivel around as you approach. These strangers have clearly been in battle as well, judging by the wounds some of them sport. They draw their weapons as you approach. You outnumber them, and all yell a battle cry, fueled by outrage as you descend on them. 
 
You hear lightning crack and rocks smash behind you as the gods meet in a ferocious clash, and then alongside your new comrades you join battle with these thieves at the beach!
 
....To Be Continued
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
16
 
You quickly climb to the deck of the Norse Wind and find most of the crew assembled there already. Thor himself, who you have yet to meet, stands next to Kadmoc the dwarf and peers at the fast approaching land. 
 
"That's not Egypt" says a sailor peering through a telescope. 
 
Thor nods in agreement. "It is an island" he says with a deep gravelly voice. "But there is magic there."
 
You can feel it too. Old magic, filled with death, from a time long forgotten. It reeks of pain and decay, a warning for any who would approach. 
 
"We shouldn't go there" you say, drawing glances from most of the sailors. Although these are warriors first and foremost, they know of your deeds and respect you enough not to think that you are a coward. 
 
Thor laughs loudly. 
 
"The famous Nomad, afraid of the unknown! I never thought he day would come!"
 
You narrow your eyes, but know better than to antagonise the god of thunder. 
 
You reply slowly; "This is old death magic. I am not afraid, but know better than to play with fire. Nothing good can come of death magic."
 
Thor laughs again. "Well then, you stay on the boat! We shall investigate and prove that there is nothing to fear". 
 
 The men quickly prepare to go to the island, gathering an assortment of swords, shields, axes and bows and arrows. 
 
Kadmoc the dwarf comes over to you. 
 
"Thor can be a bit hotheaded at times" he says quietly. "But we are warriors, and we readily go to the unknown. If there is magic on that island, we could do with some magic of our own."
 
If you stay on the boat, go to 08
If you go with the boarding party, proceed to 03
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
17
 
You ask for your pink cocktail and the satyr snorts with laughter, stomping his weathered hoof on the wood floor. 
 
"I think you have the Harpy's Claw confused with one of the bath houses young man!" Then he winks at you, "and maybe we can meet there later. But right now we have the ale or the wine available"
 
If you choose a tankard of ale, proceed to 10
If you choose a dark wine, proceed to 23.
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
18
 
You enjoy the rest of the evening in the tavern, ordering some food and some more of the fantastic wine. You retire at a decent time, and sleep a deep slumber dreaming of ancient battles. 
 
Dawn greets you with the loud hustle and bustle of the city awakening, and you prepare your equipment, pay the landlord, and make your way to the docks to find a ship and continue your journey. 
 
As you wind your way through the streets you suddenly get an uneasy feeling that you are being watched. 
 
One turn down an alley later and you find yourself surrounded by men with their swords already drawn. A man, obviously their leader, steps forward. He is tall and slim, with dark olive skin and a small mustache adorning his wide face.
 
"Greeting Nomad", he says with a huge grin on his face. "I'm afraid this is the end of the line for you. I am Tydeus, and these men and I are to ensure that you progress no further in the Tourney."
 
With that, he draws his curved sword and the men prepare for the fight. 
 
You draw your own, whisper some enchantments and get ready for the onslaught. 
 
Go to 14
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
19
 
When you refuse his offer, Tydeus stares at you for a moment, his smile slowly disappearing. He nods, then walks off, leaving his unfinished wine on the table. 
 
You think nothing more of it and enjoy the rest of the evening in the tavern, ordering some food and some more of the fantastic wine. You retire at a decent time, and sleep a deep slumber dreaming of ancient battles. 
 
Dawn greets you with the loud hustle and bustle of the city awakening, and you prepare your equipment, pay the landlord, and make your way to the docks to find a ship and continue your journey. 
 
As you wind your way through the streets you suddenly get an uneasy feeling that you are being watched. 
 
One turn down an alley later and you find yourself surrounded by men with their swords already drawn. You suddenly spot Tydeus among them, grinning from ear to ear. 
 
"You should have accepted my offer Nomad" says Tydeus, drawing his own curved sword. 
 
You draw your own and whisper some enchantments as you prepare for battle. 
 
Proceed to 14
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
20
 
You nod cautiously, casually glancing about the room to see if this dwarf stranger has any companions. He doesn't appear to have any, and he smiles at your caution. 
 
"You're right to be wary lad! We're all here for the great competition. That once in a lifetime chance for all the riches in Pharaoh's land. Oh I can just taste the gold already."
 
You smile. Typical of a dwarf to be after the gold in the great challenge. But it was a nice familiarity, which makes you think back to a time long ago when you had stood side by side with similar warriors against insurmountable odds. 
 
The dwarf takes in your smile, and grins back. 
 
"I like you lad, you don't talk much. My name is Kadmoc Gravelbeard. I also know who you are Nomad."
 
"Careful dwarf..." you say warily. 
 
"Don't worry, I won't say anything. And I am sure that most of what I hear is legend rather than truth! But I do have a proposal for you which I think you will find to your liking. Come join us! We are seasoned warriors from the North, led by none other than the thunder god Thor himself. We have a map guiding us straight to the Pharaoh's tomb, and a swift ship named the Norse Wind ready to sail in the morning.  What say you?"
 
You mull it over. You have heard of the Norse Wind and their reputation is good. A crew of strong warriors with at the helm none other than the god of thunder himself, drawn to adventure on one of his escapades from Asgard. So far they have cut a path through a number of monsters to arrive so close to their goal, and you hear that they have stopped a couple of times to help lands in distress. Capable and confident, you could certainly do worse in terms of a crew. 
 
If you accept the Kadmoc's proposal and make your way to the Norse Wind in the morning, go to 02
If you decline Kadmoc's offer, go to 18
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
21
 
Ignoring the dying warriors, you run towards Thor as he whirls Mjolnir around him, laughing in the heat of battle. 
 
You slash at one and its skin rips open. It roars in fury, and you duck as the giant tusks fly past your head. The other snakes turn at the noise of their fallen brethren, and it almost seems as they can smell your magic. Two more quickly follow and you cut them down. Fortunately, the defensive spells you cast whilst you were on the boat are still in place and absorbing much of the damage which would otherwise have hurt you by now. Thor batters down snake after snake and soon, between the two of you, most of them lay dead or dying on the beach. 
 
You slowly come down out of your battle fury, and are dismayed to see that most of the the sailors are dead or dying. You rush forward to Kadmoc who is lying next to the bodies of three giant snakes that he has slain, but not before they caught him with their deadly fangs. 
 
Without hesitating you cast a few healing spells on him, slowing down any traces of poison and sealing his wounds. 
 
He grunts in pain. "You...could have.... helped us..." he mutters weakly, glaring at you.
 
You nod, focused on his wounds. 
 
Thor joins you, about to say something, then stops suddenly. 
 
He turns slowly, just as you feel the same thing he did. A great power is slowly making its way towards you.
 
From the direction you both face you see a loan warrior approaching. He is huge, easily matching if not taller and broader than Thor himself. Across his back he has a lion's hide, and a huge bow and arrow. Casually slung over one shoulder is a huge club. 
 
"By Odin" whispers Kadmoc feably, "It is Heracles, the demi-god."
 
Thor nods, then quick turns around. 
 
"Back to the boat - it is a trap! They're after the Wind!"
 
He then turns towards the Greek, and hefts Mjolnir in his hands and slowly stalks towards the newcomer. 
 
Go to 12
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
22
 
Kadmoc beckons you to follow him. 
 
"I'm going to need you Nomad, help me lead these men to protect the Wind."
 
You and all the rest of the warriors storm towards the ship with weapons drawn, and see a band of warriors already at the beach trying to steal your small boats. They swivel around as you approach. These strangers have clearly been in battle as well, judging by the wounds some of them sport. They draw their weapons as you approach. You are fewer than them, and still wounded from your battle with the snakes, but your men let out a loud roar as you descend on them. 
 
You hear lightning crack and rocks smash behind you as the gods meet in a ferocious clash, and then alongside your new comrades you join battle with these thieves at the beach!
 
....To Be Continued
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
23
 
The red wine sloshes slowly around the cup as the Satyr hands it to you. You take a cautious sip, only to discover that the drink isn't bad at all. 
 
Suddenly a stranger appears at your side. The man is tall and slim, with dark olive skin and a small mustache adorning his wide face. He also orders the wine and smiles at you. 
 
"I am Tydeus" he says. 
 
You nod cautiously, on your guard. 
 
"I take it you are here for the tourney as well?" 
 
Again you nod. 
 
"Of course you are, everyone has heard of the famous Nomad and his great skill!"
 
You relax slightly. Although you are not famous, your notoriety has preceded you on a number of occasions. Generally at the behest of some blabbering bards who grossly embellished the truth of the adventure. 
 
"Are you also here for the tourney Tydeus?" you ask, trying to get a measure of the man.
 
"Actually, I am here with a proposition..." he replies, leaning forward conspiratorially. 
 
You listen to his story; the story of a map in the possession of a merchant by the docks. A man who is looking to sell the map, but who doesn't realise its full potential. 
 
"You are asking me to steal the map?" you enquire, watching the man's expression. 
 
"Borrow I should say... We take it, we replicate it, maybe we give it back, and we're away before anyone is the wiser" Tydeus smiles again. 
 
If you suppose it couldn't do any harm to gain an advantage in the Tourney, you go with Tydeus; proceed to 06
If you decline, go to 19 
 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Learn More About
Heracles (Greek Mythology)
Read more about Heracles (Greek Mythology) at Wikipedia
Official Site: Public Doman Links: Wikipedia.com Greekmythology.com Encyclopedia Mythica

Thor (Mythology)
Read more about Thor (Mythology) at Wikipedia
Official Site: Public Domain Links: Encyclopedia Britannica Myths Encyclopedia Wikipedia

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Creating this type of battle was a first for me, and what a complicated thing it turned out to be! I think most of the logic is sound and have retraced all the combinations a couple of times, but apologies in advance for any glaring errors. Enjoy! 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Huh, wow, this reminds me of some stories I read when I was a kid, where you can choose the path the MC goes. 

This has so many possible paths, reading this through could take while. I'll come back to this. 

Looking great so far, Culwych. :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, DSkillz said:

Huh, wow, this reminds me of some stories I read when I was a kid, where you can choose the path the MC goes. 

This has so many possible paths, reading this through could take while. I'll come back to this. 

Looking great so far, Culwych. :) 

Yup, that's exactly what I was going for. Haven't picked up one of those in ages and certainly have never thought about writing one. But thought it'd be an interesting twist on a setup. Hope you enjoy! There's no real right or wrong path in this one, just a slightly different story depending on your choices. 

 

5 hours ago, Boratz said:

Wow! This one is going to take me some time but I am excited to read it! This was a very awesome concept and very fresh!

Thanks! Let me know what you think once you go through.

 

And of course, who you reckon would win in the battle 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Alright, just finished, and this is definitely a great and unique idea for a CBUB match. :) It really has me wanting to see more of Nomad's adventures and the potential paths he could go through. 

As for the match, ... oooh, tough one. Both have had potentially world-breaking adventures, and the Marvel versions of the characters tussle fairly often, usually without a decisive winner. Heracles is usually a bit stronger and a slightly more-skilled fighter, but Thor has a more diverse powerset. If Thor sticks to h2h, Heracles probably has an advantage. If Thor uses his more exotic powers, he probably wins.

All-in-all, I'd give Thor the better odds here.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Alright! I finished one story, I want to go back and see the different possibilities! I wish I could have a drink with a pink umbrella, but may next time ha!

I really loved this set up and story! It is fun and refreshing on cbub!club!

As for the match! I dont know. Like DSkillz said these two have faced each multiple times in the comics. While power levels change depending on comic writer, the 2 always seem evenly matched. I think Heracles may be stronger physically but Thor does seem to hold other powers that I think will be the deciding factor in this one!

 

Great job again and I'm definitely going to try and go back to follow other parts of the set up

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm sorry I missed this one because this is really good. 5 stars all the way, my man. I love choose your own adventures and you nailed the concept down so wonderfully. I'm both jealous and excited. Maybe a little fired up to write something again lol. I would not want to miss another one of these if you chose to write one.

And yeah, Hercules would have been my guy in this fight. This could have gone either way because they are so alike, just comes down to the lucky blows.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/18/2020 at 6:05 PM, JohnnyChany said:

I missed this during it's run, but it is really inventive in its format. Great job.

Thanks @JohnnyChany, glad you enjoyed it!

 

22 hours ago, SSJRuss said:

I'm sorry I missed this one because this is really good. 5 stars all the way, my man. I love choose your own adventures and you nailed the concept down so wonderfully. I'm both jealous and excited. Maybe a little fired up to write something again lol. I would not want to miss another one of these if you chose to write one.

And yeah, Hercules would have been my guy in this fight. This could have gone either way because they are so alike, just comes down to the lucky blows.

Thanks @SSJRuss! I'll certainly try another one sometime, but it may be in the new year as this actually took quite a bit of time to write, check and then recheck :). I was actually leaning towards Herc in the beginning as well, but again the feats kind of swayed it in either direction. Would love to read something if you did decide to take the plunge! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...