The Kangaroo: 1
Calender Man: 8

By UMPIRE

12:6 - Segata Sanshiro vs. Count Chocula

MATCH SCORE
Segata Sanshiro: 5
Count Chocula: 4

By UMPIRE

12:6 - Martian Manhunter vs. Captain Marvel (Mar-Vell)

MATCH SCORE
Martian Manhunter: 7
Captain Marvel (Mar-Vell): 5

By UMPIRE

12:6 - The Gregory House vs. John Connor

MATCH SCORE
The Gregory House: 4
John Connor: 6

By UMPIRE

12:6 - The Matrix vs. Alexa "Lex" Woods

MATCH SCORE
The Matrix: 4
Alexa "Lex" Woods: 10

By UMPIRE

12:6 - Skull Island vs. Alan Grant

MATCH SCORE
Skull Island: 3
Alan Grant: 12

By UMPIRE

12:6 - The Frieza Force vs. Phalanx

MATCH SCORE
The Frieza Force: 4
Phalanx: 7

By UMPIRE

12:6 - The Flood vs. Tyranids

MATCH SCORE
The Flood: 2
Tyranids: 8

By UMPIRE

12:6 - Gotham City Police Department vs. Cowboys

MATCH SCORE
Gotham City Police Department: 6
Cowboys: 4

Keeping the FPL Alive

Nihlium

Where everyone else is like "don't bother bringing your pre-conceived notions", me, personally, I'll be reworking a lot of my old stuff into the new place. It helps that a lot of my stuff ain't reliant on Khazan Kontinuity.

We're starting on a blank slate, so things will probably be low key at the beginning, but eventually, I can see things becoming more publicly fantastical. It depends on the contributors.

Nah, I haven't really done anything except for agree with Landon and get too excited about things. Also, there's a group of us working on everything who all deserve credit as well. Although it's mostly Landon (especially if this thing fails, then it's definitely all Landon). 

Thank you for the compliment though.

Don't be shy Tarv. Take all arguments to Tarvius. He is in charge of complaints and Piña Coladas.

So... I'm guessing this new project is sort of an open source world-building community, where things such as characters, lore and stuff are basically added to a shared universe database where users are free to draw upon to write their own stories, no? Okay, maybe as one who hasn't been in the FPL since 2006 I'm not really one to be saying this... but I suppose we're doing away with the whole competitive angle such as voting-based matches and stuff?

So... I'm guessing this new project is sort of an open source world-building community, where things such as characters, lore and stuff are basically added to a shared universe database where users are free to draw upon to write their own stories, no? Okay, maybe as one who hasn't been in the FPL since 2006 I'm not really one to be saying this... but I suppose we're doing away with the whole competitive angle such as voting-based matches and stuff?

Unfortunately, we lack the expertise/resources to implement that competitive aspect. I suppose we can do things manually with forum polls and such, but that's probably not a long term solution.

Yeah. The site we're setting up is less about the characters and more about writing stories. There probably won't be any sort of "this guy fights this guy, so VOTE" things, at least on an official level. If it does take place it'd be informal polls on the message board or something like that.

Not to sound like I'm among those having preconceived notions about this new site and stuff, but for once I'm actually glad that my FPL characters have always been mostly self-contained, not too deeply interwoven into Khazanian lore - it actually makes it easy for them to be ported over into alternate settings with the right tweaks. ^^

I'm porting all the Alpha Sentinels and the entire SLJ command structure.  I'm sorry if that seems like an obviously terrible idea, my characters and ego are much too important for me to try and do something, you know, useful.

Ugh.  Looks like the biggest preconceived notion of all will be making the transition to the new FPL.

The worst thing this site ever did was convince people that having an idea is enough.

(Sorry all, just being bitchy.  It's hard to watch this vision of a fresh start get blown apart by people insisting on clinging to tired old ideas.  I realize this is just my bias, and that y'all looooove your old stuff so much that you can't stand to part with it.)

I don't mind if people have ideas they want to bring over into the new place. I just want everyone to be clear that, yeah, we're not just taking the decade-plus of pseudo-history that's existed in the FPL and saying "All that stuff's already established." Once we get going, if someone were to say "Hey, I like that Young Sentinels idea RP, let's write something using some of those characters we liked," that'd be cool. Stuff like that just isn't automatically assumed to exist.

In the end we'll probably end up with a mix of the old and the new (more new, I hope), and by mixing the two it'll give whatever old ideas we had a new perspective.

I think perhaps a period of time during which the FPL is completely off limits might be in order. Six months? Three months? Just so that we get to a completely untainted creation and get off the ground first before anyone decides to bring back characters. 

I agree with Psuedo's idea. Build a sort of foundation for the new site first using fresh characters, and then after the site has its own identity tweak fpl era characters to fit inside the new site if you wish.

You all give me headaches. 

I would like for most things to be new but I imagine that everyone is going to try and bring their ideas from the FPL into the new place. I would like to see them ingrained properly and rebooted rather than just copied over verbatim. At least try to be a part of the new continuity. Like I'd be cool if Ivan wanted to bring Marjus Voyce over but I'd really prefer if he rebuilt him from scratch to better fit the new place's collaborative continuity. So not just copy/pasting his old character sheet but making "new" Marjus Voyce to better fit this new place. Like he'd have Marjus' essence but he wouldn't be the Marjus Voyce that appears in his current character sheet. That'd be cool with me, but like I said I'd much rather have people bring new characters, new ideas and new stories to the place. 

Don't worry y'all, you can port your stuff over if you like, or create new stuff. All you have to do is not assume it's got the exact same structure as the old FPL. Remember, clean slate.

Here's an example, you can probably port over a superhero type with minimal hassle. I'm personally planning to create some super crook types as well.

But if you say this guy is a Sentinel, and then you imply/assume that the Sentinels are a world wide police force who administrate all the small teams as well as have their own A-Team, then at this point, that's probably gonna have to go through some scrutiny. You'll have to write up (or just port over) a bunch of fics to establish this setup. Once you do, it'll be hunky dory.

I think the only "rules" we have at the moment is that Khazan won't be our main locale and no "silly" characters like a ball of death or a voltron knock off or a sugar junkie hulk. Who knows, if this thing takes off and we get a lot of stories going, it might make sense to have a Nexus of All Realities type thing going, but at the moment, because we're going with a blank slate, that concept is a little too far out there, unless you're able to back it up with a bunch of fics).

We're starting with a blank slate and things are fairly low key right now. But I really don't mind if we grow to become fantastical. But let the growth be organic and natural. If what really works; if what everyone ends up wanting to do is low key Dresden/Potter/whatever stuff, so be it. But if we get a good writer like Mediaman showing up and he likes things grandiosed and is able to back it up with fics, then sure.

The thing is, don't worry about it too much guys. I think it's kinda sounding like the new site guys are saying "don't bother creating or contributing anything, because we got everything covered... erm, why are we letting you guys in again?". But that's not the case. All we're trying to say is, this is a clean slate. A new sandbox. You've got all this new freedom, so why not use it rather than arbitrarily limit yourselves with preconceptions?

It almost seems strange theorizing about things like this now. I mean, the site is a "blank slate" so to speak so talk of "we want this and don't do that but you can do this other thing," is really just speculation. I don't even know what my thoughts will be with all this stuff in the future let alone trying to control a site full of people. I'm inclined to take on a relaxed attitude and deal with continuity stuff as it's presented. Like right now I'd much rather prefer people bring new stuff to the table but if that's not the direction the site wants to go in so be it; I can adapt. That's the give and take of the new place for you and sort of what I meant by dropping your preconceived notions. There's going to be a bit of compromise and a bit of push and shove when it comes to establishing continuity.  Like updatedude said it's a new sandbox  and kicking sand at someone and knocking their sandcastle over isn't cool.