By UMPIRE

Hawkeye (Kate Bishop) vs. Cybermen (Mondasian)

MATCH SCORE
Hawkeye (Kate Bishop): 5
Cybermen (Mondasian): 2

By UMPIRE

Space Power Rangers vs. Stormtroopers vs. The Alien

MATCH SCORE
Space Power Rangers: 4
Stormtroopers: 0
The Alien: 1

By UMPIRE

12:7 - Alexandra Amberson vs. Danger Room

MATCH SCORE
Alexandra Amberson: 4
Danger Room: 9

By UMPIRE

12:7 - Calender Man vs. Rainbow Archer

MATCH SCORE
Calender Man: 6
Rainbow Archer: 4

By UMPIRE

12:7 - The Burger King vs. Flo (Progressive)

MATCH SCORE
The Burger King: 6
Flo (Progressive): 9

By UMPIRE

12:7 - Artemis vs. Odin

MATCH SCORE
Artemis: 5
Odin: 8

By UMPIRE

12:7 - Battle Droids vs. Clonetroopers

MATCH SCORE
Battle Droids: 0
Clonetroopers: 14

By UMPIRE

12:7 - Tallahassee (Zombie Land) vs. The Town of Silent Hill

MATCH SCORE
Tallahassee (Zombie Land): 4
The Town of Silent Hill: 7

By UMPIRE

12:7 - The Overlook Hotel vs. Din Djarin

MATCH SCORE
The Overlook Hotel: 4
Din Djarin: 11

By UMPIRE

12:7 - Pele vs. Cúchulainn

MATCH SCORE
Pele: 5
Cúchulainn: 4

By UMPIRE

12:7 - Android 8 vs. Midnighter

MATCH SCORE
Android 8: 9
Midnighter: 3

By UMPIRE

12:7 - The Flash (Wally West) vs. Superman

MATCH SCORE
The Flash (Wally West): 6
Superman: 7

By UMPIRE

12:7 - The Invid vs. The Romulan Star Empire

MATCH SCORE
The Invid: 7
The Romulan Star Empire: 6

By UMPIRE

12:7 - Lucky the Leprechaun vs. Snap, Crackle, and Pop

MATCH SCORE
Lucky the Leprechaun: 7
Snap, Crackle, and Pop: 5

By UMPIRE

12:7 - The Qu (All Tomorrows) vs. The Cylons

MATCH SCORE
The Qu (All Tomorrows): 4
The Cylons: 8

By UMPIRE

12:7 - Michonne vs. Monster Island

MATCH SCORE
Michonne: 2
Monster Island: 11

By UMPIRE

12:7 - Apollo vs. Quetzalcoatl

MATCH SCORE
Apollo: 9
Quetzalcoatl: 2

By UMPIRE

12:7 - Tony the Tiger vs. Dig 'em Frog

MATCH SCORE
Tony the Tiger: 8
Dig 'em Frog: 3

By UMPIRE

12:7 - Scar (Disney) vs. David Xanatos

MATCH SCORE
Scar (Disney): 5
David Xanatos: 9

By UMPIRE

12:7 - Mario vs. Willy the Hillbilly

MATCH SCORE
Mario: 3
Willy the Hillbilly: 10

Keeping the FPL Alive

Nihlium

Count me in as well. I've written so much new material lately & I'll be damned if they will go to waste.

Heh for sure! *insert my body is ready joke*.

One bit on the rule of thumb thing; I figure we wanna keep light on events we're bringing over but as updatedude said about characters, would it be better to transplant certain things like that or at least make them a given. For example, let's say Dayshift (assuming SLJ is a thing still in this new continuity) is something a guy wants to incorporate into a storyline. Am I right in assuming we first want to clear that all of the following exists, but would it be helpful if we have a writeup of those events for reference if allowed? Would that sort of go under the wiki idea or would it being in fic form be preferable where we streamline the events for guys to read.

Id say more, but I want to make sure I am actually making sense before I go on.

I would be wary of porting anything that you don't own. For instance, Becki Bloom is Deo's. If he wants to bring her, cool. If not, that's fine too.

We'll probably remake a young Superhero team eventually. That's the kind of thing that's interesting to fans of comics. Zach will find a place there, wherever that is.

The thing I like most about this format is that it allows Fluid characters who can grow and change through their stories more than a sheet would. 

I'm just going to say that the current incarnation of the FPL, from a technical standpoint, is really good. Heck, it brought guys like me outta "hiatus/retirement". It does NOT limit creativity. Part of the creative process is working within the restraints of any given format. A TV series with a limited time frame per episode for instance, would limit how much detail you can cram in, but gives you access to sound, music, actor charisma, visuals and cliffhangers become easier and more effective to pull off. On the other hand, a novel is good for monologues, filling in background and motivations, and bringing attention to details that can be missed in a visual media. It's all pros and cons.

I mean, we're gonna leave here soon. But that ain't no reason to knock the FPL. No offense meant to anybody, but this place has sentimental value for me. It's been my main page for 15 years. The old CBUB was arguably the best fight site on the internet. Other sites might have been more popular, but this place had the snazziest presentation.

Don't get me wrong, I love the current FPL as much as the first time I stumbled across it years ago, when Kits were still a thing and it took a few days for a character to be added to the database. What I meant when I said "it allows more creative freedom" was that in a FPL/wiki hybrid format, editing and adding to a characters story would be easier than it was now. At least I hope it will be.

I'll say this:

Sentinels, Angels of Mercy, Syndicate, and Fallen won't be automatically transferred. If anything, it'd be best if we simply start from scratch if we need teams/organizations. I know I won't be transferring KALI over to the new place, at least not in its current form.

I agree. Some of the teams needed a reboot anyway. I'm sure some teams will make a comeback in some form or another (I'm almost sure there will be reincarnation of the SLJ.). I'm guessing Khazan won't exist in this new "fpl", at least not in its current form so alot of characters will have to remain in the past or be rewritten.   

I know the Creed will be reborn, and Mr.Styx will also rise from the ashes so there will be some kind of crime organization even if the Syndicate wont exist.

The only thing I'm putting my foot down on is "No Khazan." That's a uniquely FPL/CBUB thing and is best left there. Everything else is still up for discussion.

I'd be fine with calling it something different and changing the setting entirely. But if you mean 'no' to the idea of a nexus of creative possibility then, I don't know. It's not very inviting if there's already a tough, tight continuity in some sense.

Getting rid of a focal point such as Khazan will broaden the world. It will encourage people to use locations other than one central "connected to everything" city. Khazan's more of a crutch than anything.

That doesn't mean alternate worlds/dimensions/times can't exist. All it means is that there isn't once central point where all of these worlds collide.

And there WILL be certain types of characters that just plain won't work. Sack Full of Spiders? No. The thing we're building is geared more towards the actual story writing aspect of things. You can probably write something about some dude running around with a sack filled with spiders, but the actual Sack wouldn't be an entry in the character database.

Basically, the act of character creation isn't going to be the main aspect of the new place. It's using those characters and actually writing stories.

It's gonna be different, and it's possible that some people might not jive with it. But yeah, we aren't just moving to a new site and resuming as-is. We're taking this opportunity to refine things more towards a shared-universe fiction thing rather than "a place where you make a dude then watch him fight." Things might be a bit more confining, but at the same time we're trying to do something with a more concrete end goal. I think most of y'all will dig it once you shake off your FPL expectations. It won't be BETTER, just different.

I think having a main continuity like Marvel 616 would be o.k.; what the rules of that universe would be is up to those setting up the site.

As for the continent of Khazan, it could exist in some form but as Landon said, it shouldn't be the focal point of everything.

Shared Universe. Clean Slate. If people wanna carry over ideas/characters from the FPL, that's cool. Let's just not go into things with preconceived notions about X Y and Z already existing.

Character Wiki from which writers pull characters for stories. People create characters in a more functional format (Not a FPL character write-up). They're posted for all to see, so if they see Soandso in a story, they can look them up/click a link to the Wiki and get a general idea of what the character's about. Characters in the Wiki are free to use by anyone working on stories, but peeps are encouraged to talk with the creator if they wanna DO things with/to them. And if you just wanna make a character without worrying about stories, you can do that too.

Serialized stories released on a schedule. Instead of focusing all of the writing on the character write-ups, shift the focus to storytelling. Someone wants to write a story. They release a chapter on some sort of regular basis. Maybe it's a serialized story. Maybe they're just short stories with the same cast of characters. Play it like each story is an issue of a comic or an episode of a series or something. Maybe even play it where you have actual "series" or something.

Have a small group of editors who look over stories before they go "public" to make sure stuff doesn't contradict other stuff. Like, there'll still be boards for people to post rough drafts, bounce around ideas, and so on, but there'll be, like, an official WordPress site where the "final" stories get posted for public consumption.

That a rough sketch of the idea I've been brainstorming the past few days.

I like this, Landon.  Similiar to my thoughts on how things should work.  Create a character or team to anchor a series on and write stories as "issues".  If you want to introduce new characters, just create different "titles" or incorporate them into your stories.  After a while you'd build up a nice little supporting cast and rogues gallery to draw from.  You could then collaborate with other writers for cross-over events or guest stars or using each others villains.  Just like real comics, only the writing is amateur and no one can draw worth a damn.  So like, a Rob Liefeld comic.

If you people crave the competition angle, maybe have readers rate individual isses released in a given month to see which comes out on top - kind of like issue sales.  Maybe let people subscribe to certain titles as well, to encourage people to contribute regularly to keep their subscribers up.

Even I might awaken from my slumber to engage in such an endeavour.  Keep me posted via Twitter.

Just some friendly advice about the new place without revealing too much about it: 

1. It's a blank slate. We're starting from scratch both in terms of continuity and in terms of site functionality from a technical standpoint. The sooner you drop any preconceived notions about what you think will happen in terms of story or how similar you want it to be to the current FPL and realize that we're starting fresh the better. 

2. We're not moving the FPL. I can say with some amount of certainty that the new place is hardly anything like the current incarnation of the FPL. Like I said it's a new idea, yes we've carried over elements of the FPL but it's a completely new format. 

3. Collaboration is key. With the new systems, open lines of creative communication are key to the sites functionality. Sure you can isolate yourself and just create for yourself and not worrying about anyone else but that wont help the site nor will it really contribute to anything. Besides I think you'll have a lot more fun if you work with other creators. 

4. Give it time. We're trying a lot of new things here. Likewise we're working with new programs that we're not 100% familiar with. It's going to take time to get up to speed. Just give it a chance

5. Let Khazan die a noble death. Khazan has been picked at, probed, twisted, pestered, molded, and sculpted by the masterful minds of the FPL since 1999. It has had enough. (See advice #1)

6. Conceptual creativity is king when it comes to character sheets. This will make a lot more sense once you guys have a chance to see the new place. 

• Like 1

Yeah the Berglar has the right idea.  Take off and Nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.

The best advice is to get rid of everything.  Don't start planning to remake your old or current or conceptual FPL characters.  Don't plan to port storylines, locations, plot devices, organizations, proper nouns, casual mentions, or cleverly subtle oblique references regarding your old stuff.  

No Khazan, in any way, shape, or form, not even as an accidental misspelling of the last name of the Academy Award Winning director of On The Waterfront.

Also, to chime in to the earlier discussion, the FPL definitely limits creativity, but only if you care about votes. :D

This all sounds pretty great. Tarv and Landon, both you guys deserve friggin statues for stepping up to the plate like this; seriously like with horses and swords and stuff. 

I echo a lot of what other people have said, and I've been following the discussion, but I'm mostly going with the flow here. However if there is some financial expenditure involved in setting the site up, I would be willing to chip in via paypal or something.  

Nah, I haven't really done anything except for agree with Landon and get too excited about things. Also, there's a group of us working on everything who all deserve credit as well. Although it's mostly Landon (especially if this thing fails, then it's definitely all Landon). 

Thank you for the compliment though.