The Hulk: 2

Scandal Savage vs. X-23

MATCH SCORE
Scandal Savage: 0
X-23: 14

Sign in to follow this  
LoneWolf

American masses and their bad taste

Why do the average "People of Walmart" have such awful taste in entertainment? They make their voice heard with their money and since there are so many of them it really adds up and thus the horrible state of TV/movies/music/video games.

Anyone think otherwise or have other theories? Or does popular=garbage 90% of the time?

Taste in entertainment range widely from person to person, no matter how "good" or "bad" that thing is. If that one thing has enough fans, and becomes popular, it's perfectly fine. Don't like it? Just don't like it. Ex: I am one of many that loves fighting games. My friend on the other hand hates them with a passion, but enjoys COD (which I'm indifferent to AT BEST). But we both agree to disagree because we acknowledge our different tastes in video games. What others eat don't make you sh*t. That's the moral of the story.

• Like 2

The above links in order: film reviews, top 40 music, state of Hollywood, and reality TV. Posted from phone so its hard to edit.

I believe the elusive phenomenon is known as "people have different opinions".

I think it is slightly more simple than that. I believe that there are actually people who enjoy bad things simply because they have not experienced or do not understand better ones, People are also taught to publicly show enjoyment for things that are popular as a way of conforming with the perceived norm. This behavior causes people to claim to like something when they really don't, as long as they think their friends or social circle do.

I think it is slightly more simple than that. I believe that there are actually people who enjoy bad things simply because they have not experienced or do not understand better ones, People are also taught to publicly show enjoyment for things that are popular as a way of conforming with the perceived norm. This behavior causes people to claim to like something when they really don't, as long as they think their friends or social circle do.

I agree when I was a kid I would hide the fact that I liked shows like power rangers  or Hercules the legendary journeys simply because they were not popular with my social group mostly a girl I liked I almost lost a really good friend because I was being a tool and was trying to be something I wasn't but i quickly grew out of that.

and i know of many cases where this kind of shit happened

I think it just depends. For instance, similar to what Wronkite said; I love fighting games for its lore and backgrounds (I.E: resident Mary-Sue Wolverine can get his posterior handed to him by a LAWYER and who'd know Talim was from the Philippines if not for her backstory) but one of my best friends prefer FPS games even when I found them fun but never to my taste. Even then, we find middle ground such as in Mass Effect (which has a large fanbase) and certain anime like Attack on Titan and FMA. 

As for the popularity clinqe, that does tend to happen more than it should. I hate One Piece outside its fight scenes but read it to see why people love it and I dispise My Little Pony but after watching 4 episodes understood why people like it. Overall, yes, many things have their odd tastes (still don't understand how a homage to mecha genre and an overall superior film like Pacific Rim lost to Dispicable Me and don't get me started on Toddlers in Tiaras and Honey Boo Boo); it just depends on your tastes; good or bad and even then, an opinion is an opinion.

realty shows are just away to have a hit show and not have to hire decent actors stupid people will believe they are real and watch them so internet celebrities and anyone willing to make an ass out of themselves in front of billions of people can be famous. 

I mean a sit com actor will get paid a hundred thousand dollars an episode  while you can get by paying a reality show star a third of that and that's if it becomes a huge hit so the network and creator get a lot more of the money that's why reality tv is so popular.  

Maybe as a whole we're getting sick of the DARK stories. 

That being said, I cannot justify an Adam Sandler movie making more than a movie about giant robots beating up aliens.

Not everyone is a geek and into things films like robot smashing aliens. People still love Adam Sandler and his movies always do well. No matter how shitty they are sometimes. People like watching idiots make a fool of themselves. That's why reality tv shows are popular. By now everyone knows their fake but it's just that alot of people still love them for some reason.

Yea alot of people win Grammy's or Oscars. Nobody really really gives a f**k these days because current music is horrible and the Oscars are just bullshit.

Not everyone is a geek and into things films like robot smashing aliens. People still love Adam Sandler and his movies always do well. No matter how shitty they are sometimes. People like watching idiots make a fool of themselves. That's why reality tv shows are popular. By now everyone knows their fake but it's just that alot of people still love them for some reason.

Yea alot of people win Grammers or Oscars. Nobody really really gives a f**k these days because current music is horrible and the Oscars are just bullshit.

Yay ignorance! For one, it's Grammy's, and two, current music is horrible because you don't care enough to find good stuff. The Oscars, I may give to you though. I will also give the Grammy's to you, but for the same reason as the Oscars. Mumford & Sons won Album Of The Year for Sigh No More Part 2 while Fun. loses out on Some Nights? Yeah, okay.

Ah good ole Surfer. One the grammer word was a honest mistake since I was busy doing something else. Which I corrected. Two yea no I stick with good music from back in the day. Rap and Rock today compared to years ago is horrible. I'm talking the ones that are mainstream and get the most attention now. So yea okay.

local h

offspring

soundgarden

alice in chains

all had new albums out in the last year so I have been fairly happy .

but yeah for the most part new music sucks now.

1. Are we sure that we just aren't just paying more attention to the bad stuff? I'm sure if we went back in time to the 80s or so we would find a crapton of terrible music and movies. We see the good stuff from the 80s and wonder why there aren't more good movies nowadays, not realizing that we either forget, ignore, or missed the bad stuff.

2. It's possible that it has something to do with more mediums being around nowadays. There was television, there were movies, there was talk radio, and there was music. Compare it to now. 

The number of television channels has skyrocketed, so the individual channels have stiffer competition. They can't take as many big risks with there shows, so you might get one good new show a year.

For  movies, I hate to say this, but the stars are gone. Aside from Johnny Depp, no one can guarantee that seats get filled. Look at the action movies, who are the big name action stars that appear in franchise after franchise? You have Depp(is the action-comedian), somehow Channing Tatum, Robert Downey Jr (who I admit is doing well), I think the guy who plays Thor, Chris Hemsworth (who I had to look up the name of), might become the must have action star if he gets a good movie. And let's be fair, the average comedy has always played to the least common denominator. I don't do romances, so I can't speak to that front. But the end result is that movies have to play it safe 

Radio has mostly disappeared, though, so -1 medium.

The music industry is actually hurting, so safe, generic, and vapid music is kinda necessary to keep companies from going under. And no one is going to spearhead a change of pace under their conditions.

Video Games have started to rival the big industires. They had their time of rapid expansion and development. Look how fast they progressed, and how quickly new genres sprang up. How long did it take television to do that same amount of development? There problem is that it is so much harder to build a game from the ground up then a movie, so once a company gets a solid franchise, that franchise has to pay for all the other projects the studio undertakes. Some of them do well, some bomb. Some are new and innovative, some are just retreading the same ground. I think bad video game industry has been overblown just a bit, though it definitely got really corrupt really fast, or just plain lazy. You choose.

Now for the internet, the Ultimate Contender of Mediums. That place where you can go to watch movies, television shows, listen to music, and download games, all for free. Now I love the internet, but the fact that it can compete on nearly all levels with nearly every medium is hurting entertainment in general. It means the mediums that have to pay for crap have to compete with something that will just show off old, successful stuff since it doesn't need to sustain itself. And the old guard can't just show off old victories and hope they can stay afloat that way.

Personally, I like having hard copies. I don't have an e-reader. I'm a console gamer. I buy Blu-Ray discs, Dungeons and Dragons hardcover books, even CDs. I don't buy Steam Games, download music (like I-Tunes) or PDFs. And I'm a poor college student. If I want it, I save up for it and get it in the most concrete fashion I can, but I know most people aren't as vehemently against downloading things as I am. Like my friends. Even taking into account cheap prices like Steam Sales, the worth of the games, music, movies, etc that they download is around ten times as much as they actually pay for entertainment, and the objects they do buy are nondigital, like magic the gathering cards. Their digital library is essentially free. I know my friends and I are the two extreme ends of the spectrum, but I feel like most tech savvy people, a constantly increasing percentage, lean more towards my friends end of the spectrum than the middle.

No, you guys just refuse to find the good music. It's not even that hard to find. Radiohead? Debatably the biggest rock band in the world. Check out The Bends if you like guitar rock. Check out OK Computer if you want your mind blown on how computers can actually make fantastic music, not just a bunch of beeps and shit like most people assume. You want some blow your face off rock? Check out Muse's early stuff, their late stuff can blow me. Arcade Fire's song Intervention will punch you in the face halfway through like no song from the 70's ever did. The Black Keys? They made blues music that Ike Turner and Robert Plant loved. With two men! The White Stripes were a big part of a giant rock movement doing the same thing. Two people with a drumkit and a guitar. WIlco and The National bring country-infused rock to the mainstream/rock audience that Willie Nelson only hoped to do. These are some of the biggest bands in the world and they can do things better than old rock bands can do. Here's another one. Debatably the greatest cover ever, "Hurt" by Johnny Cash. He covered a Nine Inch Nails song BECAUSE HE THOUGHT IT WAS AWESOME. Do I like the cover more than the original? Yeah, but I'm not a NiN fan to begin with. Muse covers Nina Simone's "Feeling Good", puts it to rock standards, and comes out with a fantastical song.

This is coming from a kid who grew up on classic rock. The only CD we had in the car was Jethro Tull's Greatest Hits and I loved that CD. Listened to it all the time. That doesn't mean I kept my tastes defined by "only from the 70's". I actually went out and found music. You guys wanna keep being ignorant about music, then keep not looking for bands. But don't throw that "music nowadays sucks" bullshit around. Because you're wrong. You're just lazy.

• Like 2

The music industry is actually hurting, so safe, generic, and vapid music is kinda necessary to keep companies from going under. And no one is going to spearhead a change of pace under their conditions.

The music industry? Not even a little bit. The music production industry? It's dying, as it should. Why should Warner Bros. get such a gigantic chunk of money for something they barely had a part of? Yeah, pretty cool WB, you put a few tunes on a CD. Why is the band making the CD getting a good dollar or so for every CD sold? NO CLUE. Artists make their money through tours and merchandise sales. Guess what? Illegally downloading their CD's doesn't affect those sales at all. The music industry is doing just fine. If anything, illegally downloading can help. Radiohead said "*vulgarity* it, we're putting out In Rainbows for free. Pay what you feel it's worth". They also released it independently, which means they made all the money off the physical album sales. Between those two, it made them a shitton of money. So no, the music industry is not hurting. The music production industry is hurting because really, who needs it anymore anyway?

I will concede on the music end. Really don't keep up with it. I have some songs I like. That's enough. I take it music's just in a transition period then?

Me and my dad were listening to NPR, and how some analyst thought that illegal and legal movie streaming avenues were destroying the business. Apparently studios used to bank a lot on DvD sales, which simply aren't there anymore, so they try to play it safe. I remember being ecstatic the first time a Bioshock movie was greenlit, it had a good director and writer who were really into the source material. It turns out they refused to take the rating of the movie below "R", so the studio smashed it because they weren't willing to take the risk. I don't know, maybe back then they would go through with it anyway.