Fire Marshall Bill: 6

Angel (King Of Fighters) vs. Julia Chang

MATCH SCORE
Angel (King Of Fighters): 4
Julia Chang: 2

Dinsdale Piranha

Masters of the Universe

Observations from the first 3 episodes.

If Teela is a typical example, I'm guessing the Eternians are quite a bit stronger than earth humans. I haven't seen her lift anything but her leaping ability is superhuman (unless super-leaps are just a convention they're using for athletic humans.) She was also able to send Whiplash flying about 20 feet with a kick. He's at least 8 feet tall and massive; maybe weighing about 1000 lbs. To do that, I'd guess she's in the 1 ton lifting range, and that's while she's a teen.

The big meteor He-Man saved Teela was hard to get a good estimate of size on, but it might be 4-5 meters across. A 4.5 meter sphere of granite would weigh about 125,000 kg. Moving at 1.5 mps it would have a kinetic energy of 363.6 gigajoules, which would hit with the equivalent force of the explosion of 86.9 tons of TNT. To stop/destroy the rock, He-Man's punch had to have at least the same level of energy. (BTW, Teela and anyone within a hundred yards would have been killed by the explosive shock of the punch, but we won't worry about that. :) )

The rock He-Man picks up to shelter the masters is about 9 He-Mans tall and 6 He-Mans wide. Assuming it is as deep as it is wide, and is made of something close to granite, it would weigh 7790 tons. He-Man seemed to be struggling a bat but was able to throw it at Skeletor's minions. This makes me think he may be in the 10,000 ton lifting range.

I didn't figure out the weight of the rock-slide Skeletor used to bury He-Man but it was visibly much smaller than the big rock.

He-Man didn't want to fall into the lava pool, which destroyed Skeletor's sword. This suggests vulnerability to high temperatures. Lava ranges form 1292-2372 degrees Fahrenheit, but steel has a melting point of 2613 degrees Fahrenheit and Skeletor's sword is probably made of something more durable than regular steel and may have a melting point more like titanium which is 3034 degrees Fahrenheit. So, heat at something like 3500 degrees has the potential to kill him.

Episode 4.

Skeletor's bone giant appears to be about 100 feet tall (figured by comparing He-Man's height against the size of the monster's hand.) Assuming the monster would weigh about 300 lbs. (bone being slightly denser than flesh) at 6 feet tall we can project a weight of about 875 tons. The monster moves in a ponderous manner, suggesting that it's strength is not out of proportion to its size. Also, the damage it does to the size of the mountain seems consistent with what a giant of normal strength would do.

For argument's strength, let's say the giant can lift twice it's weight or 1750 tons. My previous estimate of He-Man's strength would make him nearly 6 times as strong as the bone giant. That sounds like we're in the right ball park, though it does make me wonder why he used a trick to beat it.

Episode 4.

Skeletor's bone giant appears to be about 100 feet tall (figured by comparing He-Man's height against the size of the monster's hand.) Assuming the monster would weigh about 300 lbs. (bone being slightly denser than flesh) at 6 feet tall we can project a weight of about 875 tons. The monster moves in a ponderous manner, suggesting that it's strength is not out of proportion to its size. Also, the damage it does to the size of the mountain seems consistent with what a giant of normal strength would do.

For argument's strength, let's say the giant can lift twice it's strength or 1750 tons. My previous estimate of He-Man's strength would make him nearly 6 times as strong as the bone giant. That sounds like we're in the right ball park, though it does make me wonder why he used a trick to beat it.

couple of things

1. If weight would be directionally proportional to weight and if at 6ft. high the monster would be about 300 pounds, then at 100 ft. the monster would be 2.5 tons, not the insane 875 tons you mentioned (you were on the right track, you just had your math wrong)
  2. With #1 said, i would think the giant would be heavier than that, considering characters in the marvel universe such as Beast (lifting capacity of 10 tons), Spider-Man (10 tons), or Ghost rider would be able to lift the skeleton giant if it was only 2.5 tons, and they wouldn't be able to lift a giant that big.
  3. Saying that, I don't think weight would be proportional/ related to weight in this case.
  4. anyway, I think He-Man strength level would be about the weight of the monster if not greater, whatever that may be, because when He-Man pushed or whatever against the monster's hand, the monster staggered back a couple steps

anyway hoped I helped.

Episode 4

Teela is slammed into a cliff wall hard enough to crack the stone but recovers a few minutes later.

When he is augmented by ambrosia, Triclops is strong enough to hold Battlecat over his head with one hand. When the ambrosia wears off, he collapses under Battlecat's weight. The ambrosia ampliflies the warriors' power several times (factor of 10?) but leaves them weaker than normal when it wears off.

Battle cat is larger than a tiger and can be ridden like a horse. At a guess, I'd put him at 2-3 times the mass of a large tiger so about 1400 lbs. Holding him up with one hand is beyond what Triclops could normally do and holding him at all is more than a weakened Triclops can handle. That sounds like Triclops (and possible the average athletic Eternian of his size) can lift about a ton. This seems consistent with Teela's observed feats of strength.

Episode 5

He-Man catches a stone pillar that appears to be about eight feet across. The length is hard to judge but it appears to be at least 50 feet. It is significantly smaller than the rock in episode 1 so I won't figure it out. It's hard to judge the size of the sea monster, which seems to vary from scene to scene (even before it's big growth spurt). It seems much bigger on the inside. :D

couple of things

1. If weight would be directionally proportional to weight and if at 6ft. high the monster would be about 300 pounds, then at 100 ft. the monster would be 2.5 tons, not the insane 875 tons you mentioned (you were on the right track, you just had your math wrong.

Nope. My math is right, it's just based on a principal that most people don't use that often which takes some getting used to.

100 feet is 16.67 times as tall as 6 feet. What you did was multiply 300 lbs * 16.67 to get 2.5 tons. It's a good start but there's something called the square cube law you're not accounting for.

As something gets taller, it also gets proportionately wider and deeper. Think of it this way, if you have some building blocks that are 1" on each side, you only need one of them to make a 1" high cube, but to make a 2" high cube you need 8 of them because you aren't just going up, you have to build on all three axis.

The giant is 16.67 times as tall as a 6 foot man, but much bigger. To find his surface area you have to multiply his original surface area by 278 (which is 16.67^2) and to get his volume you have to multiply his original volume by 4632 (which is 16.67^3).

Volume increases as a cube, and mass--which is a function of volume--also increases as a cube.

1. With #1 said, i would think the giant would be heavier than that, considering characters in the marvel universe such as Beast (lifting capacity of 10 tons), Spider-Man (10 tons), or Ghost rider would be able to lift the skeleton giant if it was only 2.5 tons, and they wouldn't be able to lift a giant that big

Right. A 100' giant who only weighed 2.5 tons would be as skinny as a piece of string, literally. :)

1. Saying that, I don't think weight would be proportional/ related to weight in this case.

2. anyway, I think He-Man strength level would be about the weight of the monster if not greater, whatever that may be, because when He-Man pushed or whatever against the monster's hand, the monster staggered back a couple steps

anyway hoped I helped.

You're going by intuition, and your intuition is right. The weight of the giant would have to be much greater than 2.5 tons. Thankfully, the math to figure out his actual weight is fairly straightforward, and yields an answer that makes sense (though it sounds insane if you haven't done much with the square cube law before.)

More on the square cube law here if you're interested.

couple of things

1. If weight would be directionally proportional to weight and if at 6ft. high the monster would be about 300 pounds, then at 100 ft. the monster would be 2.5 tons, not the insane 875 tons you mentioned (you were on the right track, you just had your math wrong.

Nope. My math is right, it's just based on a principal that most people don't use that often which takes some getting used to.

100 feet is 16.67 times as tall as 6 feet. What you did was multiply 300 lbs * 16.67 to get 2.5 tons. It's a good start but there's something called the square cube law you're not accounting for.

As something gets taller, it also gets proportionately wider and deeper. Think of it this way, if you have some building blocks that are 1" on each side, you only need one of them to make a 1" high cube, but to make a 2" high cube you need 8 of them because you aren't just going up, you have to build on all three axis.

The giant is 16.67 times as tall as a 6 foot man, but much bigger. To find his surface area you have to multiply his original surface area by 278 (which is 16.67^2) and to get his volume you have to multiply his original volume by 4632 (which is 16.67^3).

Volume increases as a cube, and mass--which is a function of volume--also increases as a cube.

1. With #1 said, i would think the giant would be heavier than that, considering characters in the marvel universe such as Beast (lifting capacity of 10 tons), Spider-Man (10 tons), or Ghost rider would be able to lift the skeleton giant if it was only 2.5 tons, and they wouldn't be able to lift a giant that big

Right. A 100' giant who only weighed 2.5 tons would be as skinny as a piece of string, literally. :)

1. Saying that, I don't think weight would be proportional/ related to weight in this case.

2. anyway, I think He-Man strength level would be about the weight of the monster if not greater, whatever that may be, because when He-Man pushed or whatever against the monster's hand, the monster staggered back a couple steps

anyway hoped I helped.

You're going by intuition, and your intuition is right. The weight of the giant would have to be much greater than 2.5 tons. Thankfully, the math to figure out his actual weight is fairly straightforward, and yields an answer that makes sense (though it sounds insane if you haven't done much with the square cube law before.)

More on the square cube law here if you're interested.

Oh ok cool. Sorry about that. I'm not familiar with that principle, and like you said, not many people are. Looks like you've done your homework, lol anyway can't wait to see more

Episode 9

The sand worms that Beast Man sends after the Masters in the desert appear to be about 200' long. Their heads are about 10' wide and the thickest part of their bodies is about 25'. It's hard to figure out what the average width is but I'm going to assume 15'. Figuring a cylinder 15' across and 200' long yields a volume of 1000 cubic meters. If the creature's density is about the same as a human body, they would weigh about 1200 tins each.

He-Man easily overpowers the worms, which is consistent with his hypothesized strength of 10,000 tons. Ram Man is able to knock back a striking head with his own head butt. The worm strikes like a cobra, raising the first third of its body and letting it fall forward. This means that Ram Man's strongest attack is roughly equal to a 400 ton weight toppling over. It's hard to know how his ramming power compares to his lifting limit, but I'd guess it's several times greater and that his lifting limit is about 100-200 tons.

The energy Ram Man is stopping here BTW is 17.43 megajoules, which is a whole lot less than the 31.73 gigajoule meteor that stunned him.

I may have overestimated those meteoroids by quite a bit. They're about 10 tons and that often means they're moving at about 1.5 mps when they hit, but these were visibly going a lot slower. A small meteroid can be slowed down to a terminal velocity of only several hundred mph by the atmosphere, which is a lot more consistent with what we're seeing. That means Ram Man's meteoroid in ep 3 would have been more like 81.58 megajoules, which is much more in line with the worm feat.

Man at Arms blasted one of the meteoroids and both destroyed it and stopped its forward momentum, suggesting that the blast and the rock had the same level of energy. That would be only equal to about 40 lbs of TNT, though that's not bad for a hand-held blaster and is roughly twice as powerful as powerful as a Sidewinder air-to-air missile with a standard payload.

It's interesting to see in this episode that, though the mother dragon is smaller than the bone giant (I'd guess about half the mass) she seems stronger than He-Man. Dragons must be much stronger than their size would indicate. He Man's apparent vulnerability to fire is reaffirmed in this episode.

Man at Arms tried to hit Beast Man with his mace in this episode and Beast Man catches the head of the weapon with one hand. That suggests he is at least 5 times stronger. If I am correct about Teela being able to lift a ton, then Man at Arms, being much bigger and more muscular can probably lift 3 tons. That would suggest Beast Man is in the 15 ton range.

Whiplash survived a falling turret, which would be hundreds of tons of falling stone. There's no telling what portion of that weight actually hit him, but these guys can take a lot of damage.

BTW, if anyone out there is a programmer, I think it would be possible to come up with an algorithm that could tell you someone's lifting limit based on their punching power and vice-versa. If it could be installed on the site, it could be very useful.

BTW, the fight between the big dragon and Skeletor's Asian-style dragon was one of my favorite things in the series.

The big meteor He-Man saved Teela was hard to get a good estimate of size on, but it might be 4-5 meters across. A 4.5 meter sphere of granite would weigh about 125,000 kg. Moving at 1.5 mps it would have a kinetic energy of 363.6 gigajoules, which would hit with the equivalent force of the explosion of 86.9 tons of TNT. To stop/destroy the rock, He-Man's punch had to have at least the same level of energy. (BTW, Teela and anyone within a hundred yards would have been killed by the explosive shock of the punch, but we won't worry about that. )

I'm revising this based on the visual evidence that the meteor is only moving at several hundred mph and not 1.5 mps. Assuming a speed of 300 mph (estimated terminal velocity in an atmosphere) the impact would be 1.124 gigajoules or the equivalent of a little more than 500 lbs of TNT. (This is approximately 5 times as powerful as a modern heavy torpedo or a shell from a 16" battleship gun, BTW.)

This thread is great. The end.

Sidenote: He-Man did seem to stumble a bit lifting that huge rock and you gave an estimate of its weight, but that is a variable depending on the type of rock it is. Eternian rock may be much more dense. It seemed strong enough to take A LOT of meteor hits. Considering what you said about the destructive power of meteors I'm thinking that this rock may have been heavier than it looked (density).

Quartzite may be the strongest rock on earth but it has the same density as granite. Some rocks are slightly denser but not enough to make much difference.

You're right that it took those meteoroid hits really well. It could be some stronger, denser rock native to Eternia. Though unless they tell us something about a special kind of stone, I don't know how to evaluate that.

Episode 13.

Beast Man and Whiplash are throwing big rocks into a volcano. Beast Man lifts a roughly spherical rock about 25' across over his head. If this rock is as dense as granite, it would weigh about 660 tons. Whiplash doesn't seem as strong and merely pushes his slightly smaller boulder over the edge of the cliff.

At a guess, I'd say that Whiplash can lift at least 400 tons and Beast Man about twice that.

The more I do this the most I realize how messed-up the Marvel Handbook is. I've seem lots of Marvel characters lift rocks much bigger than the one Beast Man hoists. This includes guys like Doc Samson and the Thing, who supposedly can't even manage 100 tons.

BTW, if anyone out there is a programmer, I think it would be possible to come up with an algorithm that could tell you someone's lifting limit based on their punching power and vice-versa. If it could be installed on the site, it could be very useful.

This would be pretty hard to do. Striking Force is power- work over time, how much you lift is just how much force you can put out. It could be done, albeit with multiple assumptions. I could code the program in Java, if anyone is interested.

Yeah. I'll write up my thoughts.

It would only give a ballpark figure, but would be based on data about lifting power vs punching power in real world athletes.

Strength: 7

If He-Man is nothing else, he’s strong as crap. I believe Dinsdale did the math and put him at lifting somewhere around 10,000 tons or something ridiculous based on cartoon (2002 series) feats. This is based on the clean and jerk lifting technique.

Speed: 2 (Possibly 3 – If someone has feats to figure this, let me know)

From what I’ve seen, He-Man doesn’t seem very fast. This may be why when given the choice between sidekicks of Orko and Battlecat, he chose the cat. He has good reaction speed and reflexes, but running isn’t particularly impressive. I’m going to just because of his massive strength and clear agility, he’s gotta have a little more speed than an Olympic level human. Could be wrong.

Durability: 5 (possibly 6) – There are not too many feats of He-Man taking hits. He mostly avoids as many as possible, whereas guys like Superman take them head-on. He-Man is very agile for his side and prefers leaping away from damage. I take this as meaning he is aware of his weaknesses and strengths. In order to pull of his feats of strength such as punching meteors and whatnot, he would have to have some tough skin. Plus, I’ve seen him take blasts from Skeletor that had leveled mountainsides. I put his toughness around Ben Grimm level or Colossus.

Agility: 4 (possibly 5) – The leaps and flips that these guys pull off in He-Man is darn near ballet-esque. I’m talking Pirouette’s and twirls just to jump on a rock. He-Man is an excellent gymnast. Teela is probably the best in the Masters, but He-Man is no slouch.

Fighting Ability: 5 – Although the Masters prefer a lot of showy swordplay, they are extremely well versed in a variety of weapons. Price Adam/He-Man is no different. Man At Arms puts He-Man through rigorous training with holographic robots regularly too. He-Man is a strong 5 in this category. Teela and Man At Arms being better fighters.

Intelligence: 2 – I personally haven’t seen any significant intellect yet. His decision to pick Cringor over Orko as a sidekick baffled me. If the Sorcerous is going to give the remaining power of Greyskull to someone and you have these choices as sidekicks that will be endowed with strength and courage, why would you choose a cat over a wizard?

Energy Projection: 2 – He projects no energy. His sword does, he doesn’t.

I’m going to just because of his massive strength and clear agility, he’s gotta have a little more speed than an Olympic level human. Could be wrong.

IMO, Teela and Man at Arms and most athletic Eternians are probably a little faster than an Olympic runner and He-Man is comparable to them.

I put his toughness around Ben Grimm level or Colossus.

I'd agree, at least in terms of blunt-force trauma. I suspect his skin is more easily cut than either of them, and he really worries about intense fire or lava more than they do.

S2 Ep 2

There's a lot of stuff going on in this episode.

The giant stone guardians appear to be 75' tall. They are 12.5 times taller than a 6' man and would be 12.5^3 or 1953 times as massive. This would be 200 lbs * 1953 = 195 tons. They are made of stone (I'm assuming granite) which is 2.43 times as dense as the human body, so they weigh about 475 tons. They are so agile that it is likely they can lift several times their own weight so maybe 1000 tons. He-Man is clearly stronger and Man at Arms' blaster damage takes one of their arms off. From previous estimates, I'm surprised the blaster doesn't do better.

When Skeletor is empowered by the Legacy Stones, he easily lifts and throws a giant stone head. This appears to be roughly the same size as the stone Beast Man lifter in an earlier episode; about 600 tons or so, and Skeletor lifts it more easily. A more impressive feat it is when he hits He Man so hard he punches through several hundred feet of earth and into a magma deposit. (I don't know how to calculate this.)

The Legacy Stone empowered He Man shakes off the blow and swims through the magma, despite his earlier fear of lava and dragon fire, so the stone seems to increase He Man's invulnerability. It increases Skeletor's strength a great deal but doesn't increase He-Mans nearly as much. The two end out being about equal in strength.

Season 2 episode 5

Sy-clone and He-Man are fighting Triclops's bone army. Sy-Clone blasts the side of a mountain, causing a landslide that seals the large cave with what is probably thousands of tons of rock. Unfortunately, since he's not destroying a target of a specific size, I don't know how to calculate this. He does something similar on an even bigger scale with the bone warriors they lure into the rock quarry. He seems to be (with the exception of He-Man) easily the most powerful of the Masters.

He-Man picks up another of the big rocks he likes so much (though it is smaller than the rock in episode 3.) It is roughly cylindrical and is about 80' high and 24' across average. At the density of granite, that would be roughly 3000 tons.

Triclops has a fireball attack that He-Man dodges or deflects. Apparently he thinks it can hurt him.

Episode 6

Triclops fires a "gamma blast" that punches through the wall of Mer-Man's cell. Man at Arms describes the cell wall as "double reinforced Eternian steel" but the wall appears to be made of stone reinforced with rebar. Presumable the rebar is the Eternian steel. The wall varies in thickness from 1-3 feet from scene to scene. The rebar is aldo hard to estimate, but seems to be very thick. At a guess I'd call it 3".

Trapjaw's blaster seems to destroy about a cubic foot or so of stone. It is much less powerful than Triclops' gamma blast. Trapjaw wrestles with Stratos and demonstrates that he is significantly stronger.

Stratos is stunned but not seriously injured by a high fall (hard to estimate, but possibly 50-75 feet.) Earlier, he and Trapjaw each sustain a broken limb from a higher fall. It's hard to make any precise calculations for this but it seems roughly consistent with the idea that Stratos is in the same range as Man at Arms, lifting about 2 tons.

Stratos takes a blast from Skeletor full in the chest and is only stunned. Considering Skeletor's level of power, either he is using a weak blast for some reason or the Masters have some sort of armor that provides an amazing level of protection against energy attacks.

Watching these episodes from the 2002 series, He-Man has an obvious aversion to heat. Possible weakness.