No really, I don't.
Well, not MUCH anyhow. Here is what I know about Dragon Ball:
1) Goku is some dude from another planet who wanders around learning kung fu. He starts off ridiculously overpowered and as things progress it just grows astronomically worse. I don't know if they ever show him splitting a mountain in two with a karate chop, but I'm pretty sure he could and no one would blink an eye.
2) The planet he comes from is Vegata. I think he also fights a bad guy named Vegata, who then becomes a good guy. Or something. I don't know.
3) Goku is followed around by the usual assortment of anime best buddies. I'm assuming at least one is a girl and there's probably a brooding guy and a comically small old man as well, but I really don't know - that's just an educated guess. I think I saw one with a little pig dude, but I'm not sure if that's DBZ or something else. They all look the same.
4) At some point there is like a little Goku running around. I don't know if this is like his child or a clone or Goku from the past or what, but he's basically just shorter and more cartoony and annoying.
5) Goku has ridiculous hair, even by anime standards. I think he has like, power-up forms or something like Sailor Moon or the Power Rangers. In these forms his hair gets larger and sillier, as do his muscles and abilities.
6) Every episode snippet I've ever seen has pretty much the same plot as every Pokemon I've seen. He and his buddies wander around. He and his buddies train with some eccentric character. He and his buddies join a tournament. Fight fight fight. Goku wins with some ridiculous move he learned earlier. Sometimes, a Very Important Lesson is learned, usually about friendship or some nonsense.
So anyhow, maybe it's just because I'm a grown man in my late 30s, but I don't get what the big deal is. It all seems rather silly to me - even by cartoon standards. Of course, I dislike anime in general so I'm sure I'm already quite biased, but seriously people - WTF?
What I hate about Goku specifically is the overpower levels. It's why I hate Superman. The fun derived from watching someone you know is too powerful to lose wears off quickly. Writers have to start coming up with increasingly stupid ways to make fights winnable (I'm looking at YOU, kryptonite!) just to add a modicum of tension to the whole affair. I don't know if this was an issue for Goku, but it probably was.
Anyhow, there was no real point to this - I just wanted to rant about something and this was the first thing that struck me.
MY BLOG IS OVER 9000!!!!