44 replies to this topic

#21 Updatedude

Updatedude

Don't feed him after midnight

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 09:22 AM

As Mia suggested Elise to do the scouting, Billy finished up his preparations. He'd been getting his thoughts straightened out while he'd been packing, since he had a feeling this might happen. It was nothing personal. He knew the group was new, and everyone's basically looking out for numero uno, including himself. And it was a suggestion by the big dumb grum, but he didn't survive as long as he did under the employ of "that" man by having no survival instincts.

"Mia, it's up to you. But to tell the truth, I'm not offering you carry you on my back because I'm a good guy. That's why I'm not offering Elise just because she has a limp." Billy took a deep breath, he was going to have to talk a lot, and that's kind of out of character for him. But this was something that he'll have to explain in detail, so they'd know he wasn't just throwing it out there.

"I'm not offering Elise because she has a limp. You and her are the smart ones. If there's a dangerous animal down there, you two will know. But you don't have a gimp leg, so if anything happens down there, you can get away better than Elise. I'd do this myself, but I wouldn't know if what's down there is dangerous even if I was starring right at it. Jack and Layman are smarter than me, but you're the best one for this job" Billy had to take another breath, he felt winded.

"Maybe I'm wrong and it won't make any difference. Chances are I'll walk right into whatever's down there even if we spot it. But I think our chances might be better if we work together. But this is up to you, if we all just rush down by ourselves, we'll probably make it without any trouble anyway."

(OOC: It probably doesn't matter if Mia goes ahead with Awareness vs Living Things or just focuses on a defensive tactic. It's pretty much for flavoring/rp purposes that Billy's made the suggestion, so do as you will.

OOC #2: Billy's pretty much useless here though. Even if he has Awareness of trouble, with his low Knowledge and Speed, I have a feeling he's going to stumble into whatever trap or creature is laying in wait, much like the first room. Hopefully with the Speed and Awareness modifiers of his actions, he won't end up dead when the group hits the bottom.)

#22 Magnus

Magnus

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 02:02 PM

Mia nodded hearing Billy’s plan, The brute was quite smart, even though he seemed to pretend he wasn’t.

“So Billy and I go down first, Jack next, Elise after, and Layman covers the rear?” She suggested loosening her own rope and the extra rope she was carrying for the rest of the group, along with a small flashlight attached to a headband that she looped over her hat.

(OOC Mia will climb down with Billy, Taking a cautious advance and Scouting for danger.)

#23 Hugo Fowl

Hugo Fowl

I am One with the Ferret.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,162 posts
  • Interests:Discworld, Hellsing, Kingdom Hearts, writing, RP's, drama, etc.

Posted 08 February 2010 - 03:42 PM

Oblivious to the conversation, Jack was examining the rope and the handholds down into the pit. They looked sturdy enough to support him, though that orange thing slightly bothered him. But the rope..... Having made his decision, he sat up and walked over to Mia just in time to hear her plan of descent.

"-Billy and I go down first, Jack next, Elise after, and Layman covers the rear?”

"It's a sound plan for us, but I'm uneasy about leaving the rope up here like a beacon showing anyone else the way we went. We know our contact was killed and a few moments ago we were ambushed by the locals. If its all the same, I'd rather make sure we eliminate as many traces of our presence as possible. No sense making it easier for them. Now I can cover you all from up here, everyone else can descend and when your all on the ground, I'll let down the rope and climb down the rocks."

For the first time, he smiled uneasily. "Any objections?"

(Snoop/Dodge and Weave)

#24 ThreeDark

ThreeDark

Hobbit

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:cacoethes scribendi

Posted 09 February 2010 - 03:40 AM

"I commend you on your paranoia, Jack." Layman finally spoke up, his voice breaking the silence that hadn't had a breath's time to settle on the cavern. He stood from his leaning position against one of the walls as he allowed Jack to absorb his compliment. "But I must point out that, in all honesty, it wouldn't take someone of Billy's mental prowess to figure out that if we came this way and aren't here that either we vanished in a puff of Church-Mojo or we went down the Big. Damn. Hole!"

Putting the exclamation point on his comment as he gestured to the dead-end cavern and then the natural drop with his blade. He slipped the metal back into a hidden sheath along his back before continuing, looking at Jack with his visible eye. "So what would unsecuring the rope get us in the long run? A tough climb back up. And what if we have to run from something? Did you think about that Jack? Are you so very eager to die that you want the rest of us to get eaten by whatever might be down the hole too?"

He grunted, the sound wet and hard under his layers. His tirade apparently finished. His shoulders shrugged. "I see your point, but if someone was really after us we're just as likely walking into a trap as being followed. In fact, if I were in..." His hand waves in the air for a moment "THEIR position I wouldn't follow us. I'd set charges here and just leave us to die. That's all it would take. We don't know where this goes, it possibly goes nowhere."

He walked up to Jack and looked up at the man, his voice quiet now. "Always leave a way out, Jack. Mostly for yourself, but not just for you. If something goes wrong, we're going to want out and fast."

He turned to Mia and nods. "Me and Jack will climb down last. Whenever you're ready."

(Finally getting around to this, glad I did wait though. Layman is, of course, going down via the rockface and is going Cautiously and Carelessly)

#25 Landon

Landon

The Main Character

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 04:31 AM

Layman
Cautious Advance
Careless
Rope: No

Fighting: 4 + 1 (Marina's Knowledge) + 1 (Careless) - 2 (Cautious Advance) = 4
Speed:
4 + 1 (Careless) + 1 (Cautious Advance) = 6
Toughness:
2 + 1 (Careless) = 3
Knowledge:
2 - 2 (Careless) = 0
Awareness:
3 + 2 (Cautious Advance) = 5
Luck: 2

Billy
Cautious Advance
Observant
Rope: Yes

Fighting: 4 + 1 (Marina's Knowledge) - 2 (Cautious Advance) = 3
Speed:
2 + 2 (Rope) + 1 (Cautious Advance) = 5
Toughness:
Knowledge: 1 + 1 (Observant) = 2
Awareness:
2 + 2 (Cautious Advance) + 1 (Observant) = 5
Luck:
4 - 1 (Observant) = 3

Elise
Dodge and Weave
Observant
Rope: Yes

Fighting: 2 + 1 (Marina's Knowledge) - 1 (Dodge and Weave) = 2
Speed:
1 + 2 (Rope) + 2 (Dodge and Weave) = 5
Toughness:
3 - 1 (Dodge and Weave) = 2
Knowledge:
4 + 1 (Observant) = 5
Awareness:
4 + 1 (Observant) = 5
Luck:
3 + 1 (Dodge and Weave) - 1 (Observant) = 3

Jack
Dodge and Weave
Snoop
Rope: No

Fighting: 3 + 1 (Marina's Knowledge) - 1 (Dodge and Weave) = 3
Speed:
3 + 2 (Dodge and Weave) = 5
Toughness:
2 - 1 (Dodge and Weave) - 1 (Snoop) = 0
Knowledge:
Awareness: 3
Luck: 4 + 1 (Dodge and Weave) + 2 (Snoop) = 7

Marina
Cautious Advance
Scouting
Rope: Yes (By means of Billy)

Fighting: 2 + 1 (Marina's Knowledge) + 1 (Scouting) - 2 (Cautious Advance) = 2
Speed:
3 + 2 (Rope) + 1 (Cautious Advance) - 1 (Scouting) = 5
Toughness: 2

Knoweldge: 4
Awareness:
3 + 2 (Cautious Advance) + 4 (vs Living Things, Scouting) = 5 (9 vs Living Things)
Luck:
3 - 1 (Scouting) = 2

---

The Drop

Speed: Any character who has less than 3 Speed loses their grip and falls a short distance while climbing. They regain their grasp and continue down but are damaged.

Since no character has less than 5 Speed, all of the characters climb safely.

Speed+Luck: Any character who is damaged by falling that has a combined Speed and Luck less than 4 is damaged twice as the fall and land at the bottom of the hole. This is in addition to the damaged received previously. Any character that falls does not encounter any of the challenges listed below and cannot receive the Cmatk Egg.

Irrelevant, since no character fell.

Cmatk Nest

Knowledge: If the character with the highest Knowledge has 5 Knowledge, they will recognize the orange stains as the Ost Spores. Recognizing the spores is critical in treating the wounds created by contact with them.

Elise has 5 Knowledge, therefore she recognizes the Ost Spores.

Awareness: If the character with the highest Awareness has 6 Awareness vs Living Things, the Cmatk nest is noticed. If the nest is noticed, each character receives +1 Fighting for this room.

Marina has 9 Awareness vs Living Things and notices the Cmatk next. Therefore each character gains +1 Fighting for this room due to Marian's knowledge of the insects. This has been calculated into the above stats.

Fighting: Halfway down the hole the characters encounter the Cmatk nest. Each character with less than 4 Fighting is unable to avoid the Ost spores that the Cmatk spew out of their bellies. Therefore they’ve come in contact with the spores.

Every character BUT Layman has less than 4 Fighting. Therefore, ever character BUT Layman has come into contact with the Spores.

Toughness: If a character comes into contact with the spores, they are damaged if they have below 4 Toughness. If any character has below 1 Toughness, they are damaged a second time. If the spores were not identified, each character that is damaged by the spores is considered Infected. This comes into play at a later date.

Elise and Marina each have 2 Toughness. Therefore they are damaged once. Jack has 0 Toughness. Therefore he is damaged twice.

Knowledge: If any character has 6 Knowledge, they will come to the realization that a Cmatk, even when dead, can be squeezed and forced to release its fungi reserves. Each character with 6 Knowledge receives a Cmatk Corpse item.

No character has 6 Knowledge. Therefore no one in the group gets the Cmatk Corpse item.

Awareness:
Each character that does not use rope that has 6 Awareness vs Artifacts finds a Cmatk Egg left by fleeing Cmatks. Each character that finds such an egg receives 1 Cmatk Egg item.

No character has 6 Awareness vs Artifacts. Therefore no one in the group gets the Cmatk Egg item.

Luck: Any character that obtains an Egg comes into contact with the Ost Spores if they have less than 3 Luck.

Irrelevent since no one received an Egg.

---

SUMMARY

The damage dealt to Marina and Elise heals, since one damage heals between rooms. One damage on Jack heals, but he is still damaged once.

The group received NO items in this room. At the same time, no one was infected by the spores. Call it a wash.

Go ahead and post your reactions. The next room may go up before everyone reacts. If this is the case, still give your reaction posts and then go right into the next room's stuff.

#26 Landon

Landon

The Main Character

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:35 AM

The Stairwell

Critical Stat:
Knowledge

Tip: This "room" only consists of the characters’ movement down the stairway.

When the characters reach the bottom of the hole the land at the top of a large stairway. As the stairs move downward, the cavern opens up into a massive clearing. The ceiling of the area is several hundred feet into the air and numerous holes can be seen in the ceiling. Perhaps you could have gone down one of the other openings to arrive in this room, but there was no way in hell you’d be able to get down from there. At the bottom of the stairway is a walkway about 50 yards long leading to the entrance to the temple. The temple seems to be carved into the other side of the cavern.

Statues adorn the sides of the stairway. Each statues is carved in the likeness of a reptilian abomination. Each statues is a unique depiction and it’s unclear if it’s the same reptilian figure in different poses and garbs or multiple individuals that are depicted. This is fairly rare for a Sobekian temple. While designs amongst temples differ, said designs remain consistent between items found in a temple.

You may have found the real deal.

#27 Updatedude

Updatedude

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 03:19 AM

Billy sets Mia down and dusts himself off a bit. As he collected the equipment, he took a glance at the next section of the ruins. Hmm, reptilian statues. Looks like they're getting to the meat of this little adventure now.

Billy made a beckoning motion to Mia and Elise, there were things they should discuss.

(OOC: Ah, looks like I jumped the gun there, need to write about the actual trip down first. But yeah, Billy's got something to say to Mia and Elise after they all make it down.)

#28 Magnus

Magnus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:30 AM

Marina Held on to Billy as he slowly lowered both of them down the shaft, Elsie and Jack following behind. Looking up she saw Layman jumping across the series of ledges jutting out from the sides of the hole. The trip down the uneventful, the group silent, concentrating on the climb, the only sound the clanking of latches, layman’s boots, and the breathing of those descending.

Using her headband flashlight Mia could spot several small alcoves along the side of the pit where Layman was running, she wondered what could be inside and was about to suggest something t layman when Elsie Broke the silence.

“Spores! Don‘t Touch the Orange Rocks.” he effeminate, yet mechanical voice rang out. Mia could see the canine nose sniffing the stale air as she shifted down the line. Billy made an adjustment of their course to avoid several orange stained rocks jutting out.

“Methel-ethal-bad-shit.” Mia muttered her favorite phrase to use when hazardous material was involved. Refocusing her attention to the area below them she thought she caught sight of something moving. Reaching atop her had she nudged Draco off his perch and turned the small light as his wings began to flutter. The small robot flew deeper down the hole at Mia’s beckoning, illuminating a small area with it’s flashlight. It searched near the space where Mia had seen the shape, but failed to find anything. Mia would have just assumed that she had imagined it if not for the ball of orange-ish goo that struck Draco, knocking it out of the air. As it spiraled down the flashlight illuminated a large lizard like creature. “Booby trap lizards.” She yelled upholstering her pistol and focusing her flashlight on the area.

As the others did the same the light revealed not one, but an entire nest of the creatures. Several were already puffing themselves up and making a gurgling noise from the back of their throat. It sounded identical to the sound she had heard right before Draco was hit by the . . .

Goo. The creatures let loose with their payloads of poisonous spores. The blobs hit both Billy and herself. For a second Mia was worried about Billy letting go of the rope and them both falling to their doom, but the large man held on even as he coughed in the fumes. From slightly above Mia heard the sounds of the others coughing as well, Save for a dry “Heh.” from Layman who was busy opening fire with his gun.

It was Jack who recovered next and opened fire with his revolvers, Mia, Billy, and Elise following soon after. Coughing Mia took aim at the Lizard off to the right of the direction Billy was aiming. The creature was puffing itself up again, but it would ever get the chance, A salvo of bullets from Marina’s pistol ripped into it’s head, killing it outright. The firefight was short and sweet, the group soon surveying the darkness, waiting for others to come, but luckily none did. The group lowered themselves to the ground, Billy testing it with a heavy boot first. Before loosening the harnesses and wiping the goo off their bodies.

#29 Sir Exal

Sir Exal

Still Here, somehow.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Interests:Promising myself I'll change and then never doing it.

Posted 11 February 2010 - 01:35 AM

Elise landed on the ground and took her hands off the rope carefully, as if the ground could collapse at any moment. Billy was keeping an eye out for any cocky Cmatk, and Mia was attending to her robot, it having been apparently damaged at some point. Orange slime covered Mia's right arm, as it covered the top of Elise's head; Elise had watched them descend and heard the scuffle of the things Mia had identified and warned them about, before Layman had shot one and scared most of them away.

The warning had given Elise a fighting chance when the one of the creatures, who had sprayed its chemical on her before Elise had managed to kick it away. "You-okay-Mia?" her simulator asked.

"Yeah," the machinist answered, "but this stuff burns like Hell." Elise agreed. The orange spores did burn quite a bit, probably some xenobiotic chemical reaction. Elise remembered a biology text once referring to Ost--

Oh, shit.

She heard a shot from above, but her simulator drowned it out as she turned it to a quite high volume. "Infection! Wipe-that-crap-off-before--" She stopped, remembering that she herself had been attacked. She took the scarf she wore off, then frantically wiped her head and cheek and anywhere else she thought the spores might have gotten. Mia wiped her arm with a handkerchief. Then Jack came down, wearing a angry expression on his face--as well as a pound of spores. Direct hit for the Cmatk. Elise gasped. They had no time! It'd get right in his mucus membranes and--

Layman landed almost immediately after. The man said nothing, but grabbed one of his water bladders, opened the top, and squeezed, sending a jet of water into Jack's face, rather thoroughly soaking him and washing every trace of Ost from his face. Jack sputtered and yelled in anger. Layman gave a look as enigmatic as he always was. "Don't tell me you girls never learned that in science class."

#30 Hugo Fowl

Hugo Fowl

• Members
  • 7,162 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 03:23 PM

Sputtering after his impromptu shower, Jack shook his head rapidly. Truth be told, he was starting to feel slightly woozy until Layman "helped" out. Not a good condition for a gunman, which was his only useful trait on this mission. Wait a minute....
Eyes widening in shock, he quickly thrust a hand into his jacket to retrieve his photo. Luckily, he took great pains to ensure that it would survive most things and after sighing in relief, he began to examine his condition. After reloading his revolvers, he looked at Layman and nodded his thanks. He then turned to the others.

"Is everyone ok?"

#31 ThreeDark

ThreeDark

Hobbit

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 05:08 AM

Layman nodded back to Jack, tucking the water bladder into his belt. Glancing at the still-warm pistol next to it and giving a grunt. Now that he had time to think he mulled over the descent. It had gone rather wrong, not as wrong as it could have been but wrong nonetheless.

He suspected that it might've had to do with Billy's sudden spark of insight, it never was a good sign when the brute showed signs of outright thinking. Like walking under a ladder or having a white sander cross your path. Or maybe it was just the presence of the place getting to him, he always started getting... superstitious when they were close to something good.

Glancing up at the rope still dangling from the hole he smirked under his bandages, the cloth squirming a bit at the movement. Billy had been smart to help carry the Abomination Girl, he'd hate to have lost either of the women to the Cmatk. It was a bad way to go, for one, and he hated to hear a lady scream. In pain anyway.

His mind flitting back to the warmth at his hip, his pistol was taking a while to cool. He'd have to have that checked out next time he was somewhere he could trust. He hated having to use the thing, it didn't feel right in his hand, but it's really the only way to deal with the creatures. He'd taken out his fair share and, thanks to the distance provided by his weapon, had avoided exposure to any of the Ost. Unfortunately the rest of the group hadn't been so lucky, although only Jack had really been damaged severely enough to give pause. The man's tenacity held, though, so he should be fine.

Layman wasn't worried.

He glanced down the stairway to the statues at the end of the hall.

"Whenever everyone is settled, we should keep moving. Eyes and ears open. Aside from stumbling onto those blasted Ost-Suckers we're doing good."

#32 Magnus

Magnus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 05:37 PM

Mia stifled a giggle as Layman doused Jack with his water. The the multiple ambushes of late it was getting a little stressful and it felt good to calm down a little. Turning around to avoid laughing directly in their faces Mia’s eyes suddenly came upon the statues.

“People, I think we’ve found something.” she said in awe looking at the statues. Draco’s wing was bend out of shape, and the little machine wouldn’t be flying until she had a spare moment to fix him, but his recording equipment was still is good order, she approached one of the statues with Draco sitting upon her hat. Later he would go over the recording to determine the origins, right now she was interested in and artifacts that might have been left, either as sacrifices or from previous explorers.

“Hey, someone want to give me a hand looking around? I’ll handle the artifacts is someone wants to try identifying these things.” she suggested with a hint to Elsie, who was probably the most knowledgeable of the group.
(Casual approach, Hunting for treasure.)

#33 Sir Exal

Sir Exal

Still Here, somehow.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 17 February 2010 - 02:26 AM

Elise moved quietly back; she didn't know what to do with attention like the kind paid to her at the start of the hole regarding her disability. Saddu stood up for her a lot more than she ever did for herself. She watched her companions.

Jack was stoic and unreadable, as always. Layman and Billy were conferring, but the consensus seemed to be to help out the more aware and smarter members of the group. Mia, meanwhile, seemed anxious to get to the door and start tearing up floor panels.

Elise could understand, but in her (and presumably the others') experience, the opening was the most dangerous part of a temple. That and the final room. And quite a bit in between--well, most everything was dangerous, really.

"Stay-near," she had her simulator suggest, then watched as she slowly stepped forward--the walls, the ceiling, and the floor as well.

(Elise is making a Cautious Advance and Looking For Traps.)

#34 Updatedude

Updatedude

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 05:43 AM

Billy sets Mia down and dusts himself off a bit. As he collected the equipment, he took a glance at the next section of the ruins. Hmm, reptilian statues. Looks like they're getting to the meat of this little adventure now.

Billy made a beckoning motion to Mia and Elise, there were things they should discuss... or so he thought. Before either Mia or Elise noticed his motioning them over, Layman suddenly appeared in his face. Layman hissed into Billy's face, "Been getting ahead of yourself, haven't you Billy?".

What Layman continued to say after that, doesn't bear repeating in polite company. Suffice it to say, Layman had noticed a disturbing trend where Billy seemed to be taking the lead. It was something that needed to be nipped in the bud, with a selection of carefully selected words of abuse and inflections that conveyed in no uncertain terms, who was the alpha Recgah of the pack. And what the alpha Recgah says, goes. And the alpha Recgah says to cover the tart, since she's going to be too busy looking for loot to cover her own ass.

Having been put in his place, Billy nodded to Layman and proceeded to follow Layman's "suggestions". He readied himself in case of any trouble and walked over to Mia. "Mia" Billy called out "You looking for a hand? I'll help you out. Don't know much about what's what, but I'll cover you so you can take your time and work things out"

(Billy provides Bodyguard and Two Heads to Mia)

#35 ThreeDark

ThreeDark

Hobbit

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 06:36 AM

After taking a moment to confer with Billy concerning the overall strategy of the group, Layman made his way over to Elise as the canine woman tapped out a phrase. He tilted his head and crouched close, glancing ahead at the statues and down the stairs. The people who built these places really made you want to feel welcome, like walking into one of the Church Headquarters on the core worlds but with sandstone and granite instead of marble and iron and miles of stained glass.

It made you wonder, sometimes. But not too hard, get lost in your thoughts during a dig and you might not come out alive.

He looked back to Elsie. "You too. I'll keep you covered. Point out anything you see to me as soon as you see it."

(Back up and Two Heads for the Puppy)

#36 Hugo Fowl

Hugo Fowl

• Members
  • 7,162 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 08:23 PM

Jack sighed and twirled his revolver as he glanced around at their new surroundings. As he did so, he was remembering simpler times at the circus, when life wasn't so complicated. He glared at a nearby statue. Nothing more then a solitary rock, undisturbed save for the occasional beast and noisy adventurers.

Lucky stiff.

As he surveyed the room once again he frowned. There was something about the room that bothered him..... Mentally he shook himself and stalked quietly over to the rest of the group while trying to isolate the cause of his disturbance. "Trust the feeling", his mother always told him. No sense getting all hyped up over nothing, still.....

He tensed up and shifted his balance.

Doesn't hurt to be careful.

(Duck and cover/Careless)

#37 Landon

Landon

The Main Character

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:10 PM

Layman
Back-Up (Elise)
Two Heads (Elise)

Fighting: 4 - 1 (Two Heads) = 3
Speed:
4 - 1 (Back-Up) = 3
Toughness: 2

Knowledge:
2 - 1 (Back-Up) = 1
Awareness:
3 + 1 (Back-Up) - 1 (Two Heads) = 3
Luck:
2 + 1 (Two Heads) = 3

Billy
Bodyguard (Marina)
Two Heads (Marina)

Fighting: 4 - 1 (Two Heads) = 3
Speed:
2 - 1 (Bodyguard) = 1
Toughness:
4 - 1 (Bodyguard) = 3
Knowledge: 1

Awareness:
2 + 1 (Bodyguard) - 1 (Two Heads) = 2
Luck:
4 + 1 (Two Heads) = 5

Elise
Cautious Advance
Look for Traps

Fighting: 2 + 2 (Back-Up - Layman)- 2 (Cautious Advance) - 1 (Look for Traps) = 1
Speed:
1 + 1 (Cautious Advance) + 1 (Look for Traps) = 3
Toughness:
3 - 1 (Look for Traps) = 2
Knowledge:
4 + 2 (Two Heads - Layman) = 6
Awareness:
4 + 2 (Cautious Advance) + 4 (vs Traps, Look for Traps) = 6 (10 vs Traps)
Luck: 3

Jack
Duck and Cover
Careless

Fighting: 3 + 1 (Careless) - 1 (Duck and Cover) = 3
Speed:
3 + 1 (Duck and Cover) + 1 (Careless) = 5
Toughness:
2 + 2 (Duck and Cover) + 1 (Careless) = 4
Knowledge:
2 - 2 (Careless) = 0
Awareness:
3 - 1 (Duck and Cover) = 2
Luck: 4

Marina
Casual Approach
Hunt for Treasure

Fighting: 2 + 1 (Casual Approach) - 1 (Hunt for Treasure) = 2
Speed:
3 - 1 (Hunt for Treasure) = 2
Toughness:
2 + 2 (Boduguard - Billy) = 4
Knoweldge:
4 + 2 (Two Heads - Billy) = 6
Awareness:
3 + 1 (Casual Approach) + 4 (vs Traps, Hunt for Treasure) = 4 (8 vs Treasure)
Luck:
3 - 1 (Hunt for Treasure) - 1 (Casual Approach) = 1

---

Before Taking The Descent

Knowledge:
If any character has less than 1 Knowledge, they automatically trigger the traps along the stairway, as they proceed forward without bothering to check for what triggers the trap. In addition, any character with less than 1 Knowledge is automatically affected by the worst effect of the trap. All other characters follow the results established later.

Jack has 0 Knowledge. Therefore he makes some sort of "mistake" and triggers all of the traps before anyone can fully assess the situation. He will not receive the following stat buffs.

Awareness:
It’s obvious that these stairs are trapped in some way. The group is experienced enough to realize this. It is also obvious that the statues are a part of the trap, most likely acting as the delivery device for whatever will shoot out as they descend the stairs. If the character with the highest Awareness has 7 Awareness vs Traps, they realize that the statues lining the stairway have hollow eyes, indicating some sort of trap lies within ready to shoot out from the eyes. While there’s no guarantee that being cautious will allow the characters to avoid whatever projectiles shoot out of the eyes, this knowledge is beneficial. The characters gain +1 Toughness for this room if this fact is pointed out.

Since Elise has 10 Awareness vs Traps, everyone but Jack receives + 1 Toughness for this room.

Knowledge:
If the character with the highest Knowledge has 5 Knowledge, they’re able to find one of the trap’s triggers: small filaments that lay across the steps. Stepping on one of the filaments triggers the statues on the left hand side of the stairway. The trap cannot be disarmed, but knowledge of the trap increases the characters’ chances of making it through the gauntlet unharmed. The characters gain +1 Speed for this room if this fact is realized.

Both Elise and Marina have 6 Knowledge. Therefore everyone but Jack receives +1 Speed for this room.

Knowledge:
If the character with the highest Knowledge has 7 Knowledge, they’re able to find the second trigger: Two Sobekian Masks adorn the ceiling. The Masks have crystal eyes similar to the crystal found on the lead looter. Anyone that passes into the "gaze" of these crystals triggers the statues on the right hand side of the stairway. Discovering the nature of the Masks allows for someone to "disarm" them by means of projectiles.

No character has 7 Knowledge, therefore no one can disarm the masks.

Taking A Walk

Speed:
If any character has less than 3 Speed, or if any character triggers the trap automatically, the left hand side traps are triggered.

Billy would have triggered the left hand side traps due to having 2 Speed, but Jack triggers them first due to having 0 Knowledge.

Toughness:
If the left hand side traps are triggered, each character is bombarded by red lasers. Each character with less than 4 Toughness is damaged and each character with less than 3 Toughness is Poisoned. A Poisoned character does not heal between rooms.

Layman and Elise are damaged due to having 3 Toughness. Jack is damaged and Poisoned.

Fighting:
If the character with the highest Fighting has 5 Fighting, they are able to destroy one of the masks on the ceiling. If the character with the highest Fighting has 7 Fighting, they are able to destroy both masks.

No one was able to spot the masks, therefore they cannot be destroyed.

Luck:
If both masks are destroyed, the right hand side traps are not triggered. If only one mask is destroyed, if any character has less than 2 Luck, the right hand side traps are triggered. If neither mask is destroyed, if any character has less than 2 Luck, the right hand side traps are triggered and each character has their Luck lowered by 2 for the next room.

Marina would have triggered the right hand side traps due to having 1 Luck, but Jack triggers them first due to having 0 Knowledge. Also, each character’s Luck is reduced by 2 for the next room.

Toughness:
If the right hand side traps are triggered, each character affected by the trap is bombarded by green lasers. Each character with less than 4 Toughness is damaged and each character with less than 3 Toughness is Poisoned. A Poisoned character does not heal between rooms.

Again, Layman and Elise are damaged due to having 3 Toughness. Jack is damaged and Poisoned.

Toughness:
If a character is Poisoned by both traps, their Toughness will be lowered by 2 for the next room.

Jack’s Toughness is lowered by 2 for the next room.

---

SUMMARY

Layman and Elise were damaged twice. They each heal one damage between rooms and will begin the next room with one damage.

Jack was damaged twice. He already had one damage from the previous room. Jack will NOT heal 1 damage if he does not receive a berry that cures his Poisoned status. Therefore he will start the next room with either 2 or 3 damage. Jack also has -2 Toughness.

Everyone has -2 Luck.

#38 Landon

Landon

The Main Character

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 22 February 2010 - 10:12 PM

The Temple Entrance

Critical Stat:
Fighting

Tip: Zero is evil.

After the characters manage to escape the barrage of laser traps, they get a better view of the walkway leading up to the temple’s entrance. The walkway is comprised of perfectly-carved squares. The squares alternate between three different cuts of polished granite. The fact that the granite is still appears to be new is a sign that few people, if any, have been here before you. Statues similar to the ones found along the stairway spot the walkway. Each one is perfectly situated upon one of the granite squares, as if it were a piece on a game board. The statues face varying directions, as if they were sentries looking for intruders from all directions.

The temple itself is carved into the rock and must have taken numerous years to complete. Various carvings along the side of the temple depict what must be legends from whatever culture worshiped at this temple. Many of these stories have been seen in other Sobekian Temples, but it is a rare occasion to see all of them present at the same temple. This is further evidence that this is the long-sought-after central temple.

"Threatening" best describes the entrance to the Temple, as the doors themselves have the appearance of a reptilian head lashing out at an aggressor. This is not a kind place.

#39 Sir Exal

Sir Exal

Still Here, somehow.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 02:41 AM

Burning fur. Elise would later try to remember anything else from that moment, but she wouldn't be able to. Eye-searing lights, shouting, and the smell of burning fur. Her burning fur. And the burning, the burning hurt, but mostly...mostly the scent. The toxic aroma of her hair burning off her flesh.

When they reached the bottom of the stairs, Elise held her wounds and stared at the rest--especially Jack--sadness and betrayal in her eyes.

#40 Magnus

Magnus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 24 February 2010 - 01:40 PM

Marina walked down the stairs with a little extra energy in her step, she had been on several digs that had yielded interesting findings, but nothing of this magnitude. While it was common for entrances to temples to be booby trapped Mia was more interested in the statues. Reptilian in nature, she couldn’t make out of they were an simply abnormals or perhaps an entire race unto themselves. Putting her foot on the first step she caught herself before she put weight on it. The steps always the steps.

Taking a closer look she could see a small line across the middle of the step, by luck she avoided putting her heel through it. “Watch out, in the middle of the step there’s a-” But she never had the chance to finish as Jack suddenly brushed past a planed his boot directly into the beam. In the next thirty seconds all hell seemed to break loose. Mia curced herself for not paying closer attention to her teammates, Jack had gotten a face full of corrosive lizard spit not five minutes ago, even if Layman had splashed him it was natural he would probably be disoriented from the after effects.

A red dot suddenly appeared on her arm as she tried to duck back into the entrance. She quickly moved farther back onto to have another red light shine directly in her eye. The light quickly became blinding as the laser increased in intensity and fired, the bolt would have hit Mia square in the face if it had not been for the sudden intervention of Billy wrapping a fist the sized of a canned ham around her arm and pulling her out of harms way. She took half a second to breath and mouth a silent “thank you” to Billy before she realized the others weren’t so lucky. The smell of burning fur was quickly filling the room as Elsie was bombarded by lights from the ceiling as well as from the statues lining the hallway. Jack in particular seemed to be getting hit hard. Layman seemed to be no better off than Elsie, through the haze it was hard to see if his bandages had been burnt as well. Mia nodded to Billy and together they charged through the storm of bolts to the other side, somehow managing to avoid being burnt themselves.

Once out of the immediate danger of the lasers the group took a minute to collect themselves. It was clear Jack had been burnt one too many times as he sat against the wall shivering. Mia began looking through her backpack for something to help with the burns but was stopped by Elsie, who didn’t even bother with her voice translator and simply reached into her own backpack to pull out one of the berries they had retrieved from the ambushers aboveground.

As Elsie attended to Jack Mia took the free moment to look ahead, the small walkway lead into a much larger chamber than the last, if those statues had been the welcoming party, these were the firing squad.

“Anyone else got a bad feeling about this place?” she asked taking her pistol out of her backpack and loading it while taking several deep breaths no need to overanalyze anything right now, just follow Billy and shoot at whatever moves.

(Marina is going to Back-up Billy, and is going Careless)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users