• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#81 Skirmisher

Skirmisher

Field Marshal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,026 posts
  • Interests:The Halo Universe, Warhammer Fantasy and 40K, Deconstructing the Hype of Star Wars, Still Like Star Wars though...

Posted 17 November 2010 - 12:00 AM

I believe that in Reach, Cortana and Chief hadn't met until the attack on Reach.

Where does it say that?

#82 force_echo

force_echo

Pretentious, Obnoxious, Annoying...humanity's last hope

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,750 posts
  • Interests:Anything Interesting

Posted 17 November 2010 - 05:51 PM

Actually... funny thing about that, Spartans were chosen for Exceptional Attributes in just about everything... Strength, Speed, Hand-Eye Coordination, as well as Intelligence, Creativity, Adaptability, ect. Not only that but for ~6 years they were trained in just about Everything they would need to know about Battle Tactics and Strategy and how to adapt them to Whatever situation they need to on the battlefield.

So what, Sam's got a PhD in "I made a Suit" the Chief's got a PhD in "I'll still kick your ass"

In HALO 3 when he hits the ground, he dosen't do that, the Sgt. dude assumes he's dead.

No I will find you a goddamn video where Sam boosts until his bar is empty, go rent the game, or download the demo. A boost lasts for a good 10-15 seconds, it lasts all the way until the green bar goes down.

Oh, wow, I didn't even know that, so his melee can pass right through MC's energy shields, thats good to know.

I'm assuming that would be it, but you can't use it when the suit's already overheating, it would just overheat it more, that makes no sense. If the suit is at a full state, a boost will carry it 10-15 seconds (I replayed some of the game and I determined that it wasn't the 20 seconds I previously stated.).

that has some reflex stuff in it, notice he never gets hit while in his adrenaline mode, and time seems to be close to a complete halt. It also gives him a LOT of time to aim. The first one, he took down two people, in about half a second real time (as evidenced by him being in midair).

Are you dense? I said that he grabbed the missile and rammed it down the tube that shot it.

Yeah, 8 nations, out of what, like 200 countries? And only US and Russia really have thousands of nukes. US is rich as hell and Russia used to be rich as hell. As you can see, not every country has thousands of nukes. And besides, the faction occupying the sattelite is not a nation, its some terrorist faction. In case you don't know. Terrorists are not rich. Heck, maybe they were over arrogant and just assumed one "super-weapon" would take care of the soldiers. After all, they would have to conserve war resources for the inevitable retaliation against the ultra-nationalists. And even if it was Russia itself, the conditions of battle were not an all-out war, there wouldn't be a flood of superweapons. Thats like using a tactical nuke on a Special Forces Operation.

He assasinated EVERY SINGLE PROPHET. Technically, he *insensitivity'd* the entire Covenant. He is immortal.

As, I mentioned before, Sam is extremly proficient in adapting a battle situation and coming out on top.

#83 Skirmisher

Skirmisher

Field Marshal

• Members
  • 5,026 posts
  • Interests:The Halo Universe, Warhammer Fantasy and 40K, Deconstructing the Hype of Star Wars, Still Like Star Wars though...

Posted 17 November 2010 - 07:15 PM

In HALO 3 when he hits the ground, he dosen't do that, the Sgt. dude assumes he's dead.

No I will find you a goddamn video where Sam boosts until his bar is empty, go rent the game, or download the demo. A boost lasts for a good 10-15 seconds, it lasts all the way until the green bar goes down.

Oh, wow, I didn't even know that, so his melee can pass right through MC's energy shields, thats good to know.

1) True

2) Wait, you will get me a video... but you want me to go out and rent it to see it... ???

3) No, there's some special conditions with shields. Some attacks seem to be able to bypass shields while others are easily stopped.

I'm assuming that would be it, but you can't use it when the suit's already overheating, it would just overheat it more, that makes no sense. If the suit is at a full state, a boost will carry it 10-15 seconds (I replayed some of the game and I determined that it wasn't the 20 seconds I previously stated.).

that has some reflex stuff in it, notice he never gets hit while in his adrenaline mode, and time seems to be close to a complete halt. It also gives him a LOT of time to aim. The first one, he took down two people, in about half a second real time (as evidenced by him being in midair).

Are you dense? I said that he grabbed the missile and rammed it down the tube that shot it.

1) Ok, so that skidding around with his jets... how does That help him, except to get away from or into the fight... either way it's no real advantage as it would either give the chief time for his regenerative shields to fix, or Sam would be barreling into a fight with someone who would whoop him.

2) Spartan Time is basically the same thing as an Adrenaline Rush, where time slows down for the person experiencing it. Similar to Car Crashes, this vid is one example of how it would look watch Dr Ian Johnston, he would be moving like a Spartan. To me the difference between the two is Minimal at best.

3) Um... that's not a missile. As for impressive, I thought:

Posted Image

But then again I think that of all over-the-top quicktime BS games that try to fill EVERYTHING WITH AWESOME EPICNESS!!!!1!!11!1!!!

Yeah, 8 nations, out of what, like 200 countries? And only US and Russia really have thousands of nukes. US is rich as hell and Russia used to be rich as hell. As you can see, not every country has thousands of nukes. And besides, the faction occupying the sattelite is not a nation, its some terrorist faction. In case you don't know. Terrorists are not rich. Heck, maybe they were over arrogant and just assumed one "super-weapon" would take care of the soldiers. After all, they would have to conserve war resources for the inevitable retaliation against the ultra-nationalists. And even if it was Russia itself, the conditions of battle were not an all-out war, there wouldn't be a flood of superweapons. Thats like using a tactical nuke on a Special Forces Operation.

He assasinated EVERY SINGLE PROPHET. Technically, he *insensitivity'd* the entire Covenant. He is immortal.

As, I mentioned before, Sam is extremly proficient in adapting a battle situation and coming out on top.

1) Meh, still though, they're stupid. What was their goal, hold the satellite until Sam shows up so that he can kick their ass in slow motion with OMGEPIC!!11!!1 quicktime events? That's the Best goal I've ever seen from a Terrorist...

2) No, he didn't actually. He assassinated Regret because he had to chase him down after his fleet was:

a) Shreaded while refueling/rearming at their staging area (I think 95% of his fleet was annihilated in FIRST STRIKE)

B) He then went headlong into Earths Major defenses not realizing how well defended the planet was, which effectively annihilated all but his Assault Carrier... which had dropped alot of troops into New Mombasa before Slipspacing out.

c) Stationed itself over Delta Halo to await the rest of the Covenant Fleet, while it dropped the Rest of it's troops onto the Ring to secure it...

d) Regret and his Guard weren't expecting a Spartan to attack. Not only that but one that was also supported by squads of Marines and ODST's who were causing diversions elsewhere.

All that meant that essentially Regret was wide in the open assassination, and EVEN THEN it was still Extreme Luck that got the Chief through his Mission.

As for the High Prophet of Mercy, the Flood got him on High Charity because Truth let it happen so he would be the Sole leader of the Covenant. That had no involvement from Johns part.

And lastly Truth himself. That was only John supported with Marines, ODSTs, Tanks, Warthogs, and Hornets, along with the Arbiter and even the Flood, against a Heavily depleted force of Brutes.... And still it was still Extreme Luck that got the Chief through his Mission in time.

As for Raping the Covenant... no the Covenant did that themselves with their Civil War.... That was the only reason that the UNSC didn't get annihilated.

And lastly the whole Immortal thing... couldn't you say the same thing about Sam due to the fact that he's the main character of his game?

3) Ok, so he's just as good as the Chief, and every other Spartan II...

#84 Jaeger Panzer

Jaeger Panzer

The Gorram Hypocyte™ ~1337 Slenderman~

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 02:29 PM

It was Arbiter who killed Truth with an energy sword. Master Chief really only killed one Prophet and as Skir said, it was difficult enough as it was for him to do so...

#85 force_echo

force_echo

Pretentious, Obnoxious, Annoying...humanity's last hope

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,750 posts
  • Interests:Anything Interesting

Posted 18 November 2010 - 08:58 PM

1) True

2) Wait, you will get me a video... but you want me to go out and rent it to see it... ???

3) No, there's some special conditions with shields. Some attacks seem to be able to bypass shields while others are easily stopped.

1) Ok, so that skidding around with his jets... how does That help him, except to get away from or into the fight... either way it's no real advantage as it would either give the chief time for his regenerative shields to fix, or Sam would be barreling into a fight with someone who would whoop him.

2) Spartan Time is basically the same thing as an Adrenaline Rush, where time slows down for the person experiencing it. Similar to Car Crashes, this vid is one example of how it would look watch Dr Ian Johnston, he would be moving like a Spartan. To me the difference between the two is Minimal at best.

3) Um... that's not a missile. As for impressive, I thought:

Posted Image

But then again I think that of all over-the-top quicktime BS games that try to fill EVERYTHING WITH AWESOME EPICNESS!!!!1!!11!1!!!

1) Meh, still though, they're stupid. What was their goal, hold the satellite until Sam shows up so that he can kick their ass in slow motion with OMGEPIC!!11!!1 quicktime events? That's the Best goal I've ever seen from a Terrorist...

2) No, he didn't actually. He assassinated Regret because he had to chase him down after his fleet was:

a) Shreaded while refueling/rearming at their staging area (I think 95% of his fleet was annihilated in FIRST STRIKE)

;) He then went headlong into Earths Major defenses not realizing how well defended the planet was, which effectively annihilated all but his Assault Carrier... which had dropped alot of troops into New Mombasa before Slipspacing out.

c) Stationed itself over Delta Halo to await the rest of the Covenant Fleet, while it dropped the Rest of it's troops onto the Ring to secure it...

d) Regret and his Guard weren't expecting a Spartan to attack. Not only that but one that was also supported by squads of Marines and ODST's who were causing diversions elsewhere.

All that meant that essentially Regret was wide in the open assassination, and EVEN THEN it was still Extreme Luck that got the Chief through his Mission.

As for the High Prophet of Mercy, the Flood got him on High Charity because Truth let it happen so he would be the Sole leader of the Covenant. That had no involvement from Johns part.

And lastly Truth himself. That was only John supported with Marines, ODSTs, Tanks, Warthogs, and Hornets, along with the Arbiter and even the Flood, against a Heavily depleted force of Brutes.... And still it was still Extreme Luck that got the Chief through his Mission in time.

As for Raping the Covenant... no the Covenant did that themselves with their Civil War.... That was the only reason that the UNSC didn't get annihilated.

And lastly the whole Immortal thing... couldn't you say the same thing about Sam due to the fact that he's the main character of his game?

3) Ok, so he's just as good as the Chief, and every other Spartan II...

Every other Spartan II? As I recall, every Spartan II got *insensitivity'd* at one engagement: Reach. Then one Spartan II made it through and became a literal miracle. The UNSC soldiers themselves believed MC was immortal. He is not even dead right now is he? My point is that the reality of MC's acheivements <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< the reality of Sam Gideon's acheivements.

You're not listening to me. When Sam engages adrenaline rush, he dosen't get hit, time perception comes close to a complete halt, if he jumps over an obstacle and engages an adrenaline rush, he can drop three people before he hits the ground. But you're never gonna admit to MC losing anyway so screw this damn debate, I'm going to go play some Xbox.

#86 Jaeger Panzer

Jaeger Panzer

The Gorram Hypocyte™ ~1337 Slenderman~

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 09:09 PM

Nope, they only lost a few spartans here and there. They did not get *insensitivity'd*. The ones who did were the Spartan 3s...

And no... it does not go to a complete halt, it slows down to a crawl.

Really, his speed is only short bursts from the jet and his adrenaline time is limited to what, second whereas Chief's would be... on... nonstop for the whole combat. Not to mention, far more durable armor than Sam's... not to mention, far more combat experience than Sam... Not to mention, he's got Cortana who can just easily figure out the weaknesses of Sam's armor...

Its more like you who cannot admit that Chief would win in a fight against Sam.

#87 Skirmisher

Skirmisher

Field Marshal

• Members
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 09:33 PM

Every other Spartan II? As I recall, every Spartan II got *insensitivity'd* at one engagement: Reach. Then one Spartan II made it through and became a literal miracle. The UNSC soldiers themselves believed MC was immortal. He is not even dead right now is he? My point is that the reality of MC's acheivements <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< the reality of Sam Gideon's acheivements.

OMGLOL

The ~25 Spartans that took part in the Fall of Reach got shot out of the Air in high orbit, and had to fall dozens of Kilometers without the assist of Jetpacks or Parachutes... Hitting the ground. Due to the weight of their Armour, Spartans have a Much higher terminal velocity than regular skydivers, and they had to speed up to avoid AA fire from the Covenant.

Even then I think only 4 were Killed on Impact...

They still took tremendous damage though, with alot of them being injured. Injured and not that mobile, and mobility is the one thing that keeps them alive on the battlefield... So then they show up at the Generators they were supposed to be defending with the Army... except that the Army screwed up a bombing run or an artillery strike and wiped out all the Spartans Support... So they with Significantly Reduced support had to face the Full weight of the Covenant Army, in Static positions, with Spartans who were significantly injured. That was what killed alot of them...

Except I think it only killed about a dozen...

They lost another in an Air Raid to drop a Nuke inside a Covenant Cruiser.

Lost one in Space when a stray Needler round exploded his EVA packs booster and sent him tumbling out into space.

Lost two more when cornered, underground by that same Covenant Army...

Lost another when Brutes ambushed a small strike team, and before that they didn't know about Brutes.

They lost another when he attacked two Hunters in hand to hand, managed to kill one first though, before the other shot him in the back.

Then lost another to a Nuke.

By the end of the War there were still 4 or 8 Spartan IIs alive and kicking.

As for Marines thinking them Immortal... that was the Office of Navel Intelligence's doing. They needed a Morale Boost, and they made the Spartans into Gods of War.

#88 Opalord

Opalord

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 01:19 AM

As for Marines thinking them Immortal... that was the Office of Navel Intelligence's doing. They needed a Morale Boost, and they made the Spartans into Gods of War.

yup. As skirm has probably brought up before, All KIA spartans were listed instead as MIA, giving the illusion they were never actually killed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users