4 replies to this topic

#1 chakos

chakos

The Avatar of Himself

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 07:36 AM

Here is a quick and dirty template for writing up an FPL character using BBcode. This is a simple template to use that might help you organize your thoughts. If someone else is reading, reviewing, and giving feedback on a character, it helps to have all your details organized so that your idea is clear to others. Plus, nobody likes scrolling through a huge block of text. I hope this template will help; you can copy the code out of the box below, paste it into your own thread, and fill in your character's information. You can even use this template in PMs. Have fun!

Name
Template Test Character

Pic
Posted Image

Alignment Villain (Options are Hero or Villain)

Gender Female (Options are Male, Female, or None)

Location Khazan

Stats:
Strength- Standard
Agility- Standard
Body- Weak
Mind- Superior

Character Biography
Template Test Character's biography is 12,000 words long. Am I certain? Oh yes, I'm certain. You're reading it right now!! Went quicker than you thought, didn't it?! (Character Biography should be 100 words minimum.)

Personality
Template Test Character is a real flim-flam gal, with a carpetbagging heart of gold wrapped in an enigma at the heart of a nougaty center. (Personality description should be 100 words minimum)

Powers and Abilities

Mind Control- Superior
Template Test Character has a squeegee that makes people tell lies. (Power descriptions should be 100 words minimum.)

Invisibility- Superior
".'.. .... .... '.. ....... .... ... ..... ..-.... ... .... ........, .. . .....?" .. ...., .......! (Power descriptions should be 100 words minimum.)

Teleportation- Standard
Template Test Character hates doors. A lot. (Power descriptions should be 100 words minimum.)

Magnetism- Standard
Area Effect
One time Template Test Character high-fived a robot and got stuck like that for two hours. (Power descriptions should be 100 words minimum.)

[size=4][b]Name[/b][/size]
Template Test Character

[b][size=3]Pic[/size][/b]
[img]http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/fantasypowersleague/images/5/52/Luna.gif[/img]

[b][size=3]Alignment[/size][/b] Villain (Options are Hero or Villain)

[b][size=3]Gender[/size][/b] Female (Options are Male, Female, or None)

[b][size=3]Location[/size][/b] Khazan

[b][size=3]Stats:[/size][/b]
[b]Strength[/b]- Standard
[b]Agility[/b]- Standard
[b]Body[/b]- Weak
[b]Mind[/b]- Superior

[b][size=3]Character Biography[/size][/b]
Template Test Character's biography is 12,000 words long. Am I certain? Oh yes, I'm certain. You're reading it right now!! Went quicker than you thought, didn't it?! (Character Biography should be 100 words minimum.)

[b][size=3]Personality[/size][/b]
Template Test Character is a real flim-flam gal, with a carpetbagging heart of gold wrapped in an enigma at the heart of a nougaty center. (Personality description should be 100 words minimum)

[b][size=3]Powers and Abilities[/size][/b]

[b]Mind Control[/b]- Superior
Template Test Character has a squeegee that makes people tell lies.  (Power descriptions should be 100 words minimum.)

[b]Invisibility[/b]- Superior
".'.. .... .... '.. ....... .... ... ..... ..-.... ... .... ........, .. . .....?" .. ...., .......!  (Power descriptions should be 100 words minimum.)

[b]Teleportation[/b]- Standard
Template Test Character hates doors.  A lot.  (Power descriptions should be 100 words minimum.)

[b]Magnetism[/b]- Standard
[u]Area Effect[/u]
One time Template Test Character high-fived a robot and got stuck like that for two hours.  (Power descriptions should be 100 words minimum.)

#2 Old Man River

Old Man River

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 12:28 PM

Bravo, good sir.

#3 ThreeDark

ThreeDark

Hobbit

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:cacoethes scribendi

Posted 25 June 2009 - 06:17 PM

I want a squeegee that makes people tell lies!

#4 Guest_Ivan_*

Guest_Ivan_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 September 2010 - 06:16 PM

Additional Information:

Powers (List of powers can be found here: http://www.electricf...l/fplpowerlist/ )

You have 14 points to spend on a new character.

The available ranks of powers are Standard and Superior. Standard powers cost 2 points. Superior powers cost 4 points. You can also augment your powers with power modifiers such as Ranged, Area Effect, and Multi-Hit. Each of these modifiers is pretty self explanatory as to how it changes the function of the power, and each one costs 1 point.

If I want a character who can shoot fireballs from his hands, I would select "Fire" from the Energy Category powers list, and choose "Standard" as the rank. Then I would select the "Ranged" modifier, indicating that the Fire power can be used at a distance instead of only up close.

Standard attacks, when they hit, do Standard Damage. Superior Attacks do Superior Damage. Standard Defense will block/absorb/ignore Standard damage. Likewise, Superior Defense will block/absorb/ignore Superior Damage.

Other powers are not attack or defense based, and focus on Movement (like Flight and Running), Detection (like Super Senses), or Skills (like Marksman or Detective). In general terms these powers are used to help your character avoid being attacked or attack more effectively.

Stats (Strength, Agility, Body, and Mind) are available in 3 levels: Weak, Standard, and Superior.

All characters start out with Standard stats across the board, at no extra cost. Bumping a stat up to Superior gives your character an above average attribute, at the cost of 2 points.

Stats can be dropped to Weak, which gives your character a weakness in that department, but allows you to regain 1 point which can be used elsewhere. This can be incredibly useful. For example, the previously mentioned fireball shooting character might not need to use his strength stat. Taking weak Strength gives him another point which can be spent on the Ranged modifier to make his attacks hit from far away.

Similarly, a character with Superior Strength and Body and a Concussive Attack power might be a hulking brute who uses his fists, with no need for a high Mind stat. Taking weak Mind would let the brute pick "Area Effect" on his Concussive power, allowing his attacks to hit a wide area around him.

A few powers (Berserk, Kinetic Absorption, Energy Absorption, Bio Vampire, Psychic Vampire) mention the ability to "boost" another power or stat. You must describe the affected power in your description. For example if I give the Fireball thrower a Standard level "Energy Absorption" power, he is able to absorb and take no damage from incoming Standard energy attacks (or part of Superior attacks) and use that "stored" power to temporarily power up his fireball to Superior level. There is an assumed 1/1 trade-off here: if he has absorbed a single "Standard" energy attack he can boost his fireball a single time. After he uses that, he must absorb another attack to be able to boost the power again.

You might've already wondered what boosting a Superior power would do. Take the case of the brute I mentioned earlier. This character already has Superior strength. If he uses the Berserk power (which lets him temporarily redistribute two stats, dropping one and raising another,) he could drop his Agility down to Weak and boost his Superior strength to the effective temporary rank of "Supreme."

Supreme level powers aren't typically available to Street level characters, but when using a boost power like the ones mentioned above, the rank can be temporarily achieved. This is, again, assumed to be a one-use action. If he wants to use his strength at a Supreme level again, he would need to drop his Agility to Weak again.

There are thousands of possible power combinations but the "boost" powers are the only ones that require a linked power to be effective.

#5 Ivan

Ivan

Canon Fodder

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:44 PM

Correction: In the new system, the Berserk power, at Standard level, doesn't require a trade-off. It simply lets the fighter raise one stat by one rank for a limited time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users