• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 07:07 PM

BRUMAK
Posted Image

VS

RANCOR

Posted Image

Within the Colosseum of Khazan, the Nexus at which realities and universes of all flavors meet, there unfolded an interesting interaction between two specific universes: That of Gears of War and Star Wars. Within the universe of Gears of War, the humans, the COG, won the war against the Locust and the Lambent, though at a severe cost: the major destruction of their planet. However, peace reigned throughout Seras and eventually, the human race rebuilt and within time, restored the planet back to its natural state as best as they could. Within the universe of Star Wars, Luke Skywalker and the Rebellion had won the war against the Empire, and with the dawn of change, brought peace to the galaxy at long last. It was, for the two universes, a period of time before they found access to Khazan and a glorious opportunity it was for them to mingle with the likes of others from different universes and realities. However, anything that was good, was eventually perverted and to be used for evil and thus, smugglers from both universes took advantage of this newly found opportunity. They smuggled in indigenous objects, animals and technologies from their respective universes. Specifically, the animals, especially the ferocious creatures of any world, made their way towards the Colosseum of Khazan and there, they were promptly sold off and used for the entertainment of the masses originating from millions of millions of universes and worlds. Two of these animals were the Rancor and the Brumak, the Rancor from the Star Wars universe and the Brumak from the Gears of War universe. The two were fated to fight to see who was truly the monster of the two, and as such, were representing their species from their native homes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Testing... Testing... Oh, its working, great! Sorry about that folks. Its now back up, as you all can see!", the announcer of the upcoming match had spoken, finally after a delay due to an error with the announcing equipment earlier which put the crowd at unrest. But now, the tension was beginning to dissolve as the crowd now perked up and looked towards the announcer, who was standing upon a hovering platform, in the center of the large arena.

"Ladies and Gentlemen. I bring you a fight between monsters. A fight that is sure to scare the wits out of you. Heck, just looking at one of these will scare the wits out of you! I'm already getting goosebumps just from thinking about it! Here, in this very arena, two titans will fight. These two titans are seen as monsters in their native homelands and it is here that we will determine who is the dominant monster out of the two. Is it... the Rancor?"

A thunderous roar rose from the crowd as the spotlight, which was situated upon the announcer, rotated away from his left to the side of the arena, illuminating the area. There laid a chained Rancor, enraged at the indignity it was in, being chained on all its limbs. It roared defiantly towards the crowd and mostly towards the announcer, who just chuckled at the display of the gargantuan beast.

"He's a beauty, ain't he folks? He's a rarity. He's topped at 15 meters, where from our reports, Rancors usually only get around to an average of 5 to 10 meters tall! Truly a marvel to gaze upon. Can he match... the Brumak?"

Another round of cheers rose from the crowd as the spotlight once more situated itself, this time on the opposite side of the arena. There, too chained like the Rancor upon all its limbs, stood the Brumak. It growled at times but for the most part, it kept quiet and only gazed upon its new surroundings. It hadn't noticed the Rancor yet, just like the Rancor hadn't noticed the Brumak. But that would soon change.

"This monster too is 15 meters and that's the norm for these beasties, folks. Now, do you see why we have a 15 meter tall Rancor?", The announcer chuckled into the PA system, "Anyways, the Brumak, too like the Rancor, is a terrifying animal, and from several reports from the Gears of War universe, they truly struck fear into those on the battlefield. It operative that we find who truly is the most monstrous of the two and whom we should truly fear the most. Is it the Rancor? Or is it the Brumak? I don't know folks, neither do you. But these two do and we're going to find out, right now."

The announcer took a few moments, and when that had passed, he spoke, "Handlers, rouse them. It is time."

And as soon as the command was uttered, the respective handlers of the two beasts immediately prodded them with the equivalent of cattle prods and this sent the beasts in a fit of rage. Then the spotlight illuminated the entire arena further and it was thus the two beasts laid eyes on one another for the first time. It was then the Rancor that started bellowing at the Brumak while said Brumak responded back in kind.

"Ladies and Gentlemen... Hang onto your seats. This is gonna be a bloody brawl!", the announcer shouted into the crowd as the staff on the field hurried to safety, away from the creatures and the carnage that was to come.

"RELEASE THEM! LET IT BEGIN!"

And so, upon the announcer's command, the chains that bound the two monsters released their hold and fell aside, freeing up their movement. The two eyed each other for a moment, growling, and within moments, they charged at one another, with rage and the intent to kill in their eyes.

The fight has begun.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Who, in your opinion, wins this bout? Please tell me if this set up was decent, good, or bad if you will. Thanks, and enjoy the reading.

#2 Hugo Fowl

Hugo Fowl

I am One with the Ferret.

• Members
  • 7,162 posts
  • Interests:Discworld, Hellsing, Kingdom Hearts, writing, RP's, drama, etc.

Posted 20 September 2010 - 07:42 PM

An excellent match. And my vote would go to the Rancor. Slightly smarter by a small amount, being of a type that actually utilizes simple tools though I may be wrong.

#3 Jason Redfield

Jason Redfield

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 07:51 PM

Well, both have been known to have guns mounted on them. And both have the ability to throw down with the armored vehicles of their respective universes with some measure of equality. This is a tough one.

I saw a Brumak go down to a cannon shot from one of the COG light tanks, whereas IIRC I've heard of rancors tanking hits from vehicle-mounted heavy blasters/turbolasers without going down immediately. Out of those two feats, I'd say the rancor's is slightly more impressive.

Overall, nice job, Jaeger. It's well-written, a good match-up, and interesting.

#4 Jaeger Panzer

Jaeger Panzer

The Gorram Hypocyte™ ~1337 Slenderman~

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 07:55 PM

Thanks, everyone. :D

Here are some references for those that are undecided.

Brumak

Rancor

#5 Dreadlock

Dreadlock

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 08:09 PM

Why don't you ever make actual CBUB matches?

Let me read the set up, read about both combatants, then I'll vote.

#6 Jaeger Panzer

Jaeger Panzer

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 08:14 PM

Why don't you ever make actual CBUB matches?

Let me read the set up, read about both combatants, then I'll vote.

Well, I don't think the Brumak is in the Database, so making a CBUB match is out of the question I suppose.

For your question:

My muse is out of whack. I've desperately trying to find inspiration. This match-up was one of these rare ones.

#7 G4hardcore

G4hardcore

I am One with the Ferret.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,651 posts
  • Interests:The Avant-Garde, I Represent

Posted 20 September 2010 - 08:59 PM

I asked and you delivered, Jaeger. :D An exellent set up, and an exellent match up. High entertainment value. Keep writing.

As for the match, I am leaning towards the Rancor, due to my ignorance of the capabilities of the Brumak.

#8 Jaeger Panzer

Jaeger Panzer

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 20 September 2010 - 09:03 PM

I asked and you delivered, Jaeger. :D An exellent set up, and an exellent match up. High entertainment value. Keep writing.

As for the match, I am leaning towards the Rancor, due to my ignorance of the capabilities of the Brumak.

Thanks! :P

Here:

Brumak

Rancor

#9 force_echo

force_echo

Pretentious, Obnoxious, Annoying...humanity's last hope

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,750 posts
  • Interests:Anything Interesting

Posted 22 September 2010 - 04:43 PM

Im assuming this aint the gene modified Rancor that breathes acid, that being said, I have no idea, theyre too close in ability

#10 Jaeger Panzer

Jaeger Panzer

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 05:15 PM

I'd like to hear your thoughts of how my set up was, Echo.

#11 Scar

Scar

Released the Kraken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Interests:Good reading, good eats, good friends, good times, bad times, how to make the bad times good, the darkest of the dark and how to drag the good stuff and good people out of the muck.

Posted 23 September 2010 - 12:39 AM

I'll have to go with the Brumak. In the animal kingdom most fights come down to size and from my knowledge the Brumak and Rancor are little more then animals. The Brumak is either between a third again, or thrice as large as the average Rancor.

Though like already stated this could depend on what Rancor it is.

#12 Jaeger Panzer

Jaeger Panzer

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:45 AM

Both are at 15 meters. It is the normal Rancor.

#13 force_echo

force_echo

Pretentious, Obnoxious, Annoying...humanity's last hope

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,750 posts
  • Interests:Anything Interesting

Posted 23 September 2010 - 04:58 PM

The setup was very nice, I think you need to write more often. The matchup was even better, I have no idea who would win. What would make it cooler is if you used a mutated Rancor and an armed bromak, you have use interesting discrepancies (butchered that spelling) in characters with extremly close abilities.

#14 Jaeger Panzer

Jaeger Panzer

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:02 PM

The setup was very nice, I think you need to write more often. The matchup was even better, I have no idea who would win. What would make it cooler is if you used a mutated Rancor and an armed bromak, you have use interesting discrepancies (butchered that spelling) in characters with extremly close abilities.

Thanks. :o I'll try to write more. Well, it was too good of a match-up then. -.-

That's an idea, but that will have to wait in the near future. :P

#15 TheJ0ke

TheJ0ke

Nuked the fridge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 10:23 PM

Wow, that was a damn good match JP. I mean, just with pretty much every piece of writing, there is room for improvement, but very nice. Shame you're one of those people though... (AKA people like me with writer's block/crazy schedules)

Anyhow, I'd give this to the rancor. Brumaks by and large are accustomed to being controlled by their handler and having a ginormous canon on their head, not just being let loose with no equipment (which is what I'm assuming is happening here). Rancors on the other hand are plenty used to letting loose, and who knows, this one may even have been in several arena fights before now. So since both creatures are pretty much the same physically, I'm going to give this to the one with more "experience".

Edit: Building on what echo said, while a straight up unarmed fight is great, it's nearly always better when you throw in some sort of "x factor" (or "interesting discrepanc[y]" as force_echo said). This is especially true when you have contestants matched up who are as similar to each other as these two are.

#16 Nova Force Nova

Nova Force Nova

Deadpan Snarker

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 14,957 posts
  • Interests:Interesting stuff.

Posted 18 December 2010 - 01:36 PM

*May actually consider reading this sometime*

#17 Jaeger Panzer

Jaeger Panzer

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 01:40 PM

C'mon, don't mess with me, just read it. It'll take only a few minutes. -.-

#18 Nova Force Nova

Nova Force Nova

Deadpan Snarker

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 14,957 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 01:44 PM

C'mon, don't mess with me, just read it. It'll take only a few minutes. -.-

I suppose I can...

Oh look, Raging Blast 2!

:P

#19 Jaeger Panzer

Jaeger Panzer

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 01:46 PM

You're brutal. -.-

Anyways, way to revive a dead thread. :P

#20 Nova Force Nova

Nova Force Nova

Deadpan Snarker

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 14,957 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 01:47 PM

Well if the admins can do it with super karate chop bumps or super ultra retcon bumps, I figured why the heck not try to do so.

And thanks for the compliment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users