Television

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Ivan_*

Guest_Ivan_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2010 - 11:59 PM

(Couldn't decide whether this goes in the TV or comics thread, then I realized that generalized threads are kinda killing the board and I'm an administrator so I can do what I want.)

Fox has developed DC's Human Target into a television show.

This is an idea I'm fully in support of. It's not even that I'm sure the series will be any good; the short-lived 90's Human Target was awful. The article itself makes the show sound chock-full of suspicious sounding generic action fare, with promises like "...future episodes will involve Chance getting beat up in a bar in Central America, impersonating a priest in a monastery to save a young crook, and saving a beautiful lawyer from her gangster father."

A part of me wonders how they're going to tackle Chance's mastery of disguise, especially with an iron-jawed soap opera star as the lead. The article promises there won't be any "morphing," which leads me to wonder if they'll try and use the Wild Wild West method of simply having Mark Valley play the person his character is supposed to be impersonating, too. Chi McBride and Jackie Earle Haley (yes, Rorschach) round out the cast, so maybe this version of Human Target focuses more on a team? We'll see.

What appeals to me about this is the general idea of developing comic properties independent of one another for various media. We've all been awed and excited by Marvel's basket full of eggs that might someday result in a delicious Avengers omelet, but DC's attempts at doing the same thing with the Justice League have been decidedly less... culinary. A Justice League movie may some day exist and it may, (against all odds,) be awesome. That much is true. Is that possibility enough to ignore the chance that Ray Palmer should get his own standalone movie first? That's something I'd love to see, by the way. You could give it a Mad Men feel, make it a retro period piece, infuse it with some Watchmen-esque visuals, and even have room for some Honey I Shrunk the Kids moments (RIP Anty.) No need to tie it to the Nolanverse, or any of the Superman franchise. Not sold on The Atom? I'd watch GCPD Blue or CSI Gotham or Law and Order: No Man's Land, which seems like a no-brainer given the popularity of The Dark Knight and the seven sold hours of cop dramas that run on TBS every day. Hell, I can already picture the publicity for the one Sam and Twitch style Batman cameo in the Season Finale.

Speaking of these ideas, I'd go ape for a Jonah Hex TV Movie. (When was the last good cowboy show, by the way? It feels like it's been forever.) Just think of what you could do with the concept of The Question as a radio drama, released as a series of podcasts. You'd only need a single writer, a single actor, and a sound engineer to make that one work. This isn't limited to DC, by the way. A Runaways mini-series wouldn't need a Sam Jackson cameo to be awesome. Everyone's salivating over X-spinoffs and the Prevengers films, or losing their nut over the current Spidermess. I'm not saying go out and make Ravage 2099 your next Summer Blockbuster, but you're clearly not getting to Forge any time in the next decade. Forge can be Hispanic or Native American or Indian or all of the above and while I'm sure Ultimate Nick Fury is going to help you pay lipservice to the pretense that your movie-version Avengers isn't just a Super White Boys club (Captain America, Thor, Tony Stark, Bruce Banner, Hank Pym...) why not let a minority character support a film or show on their own merit, rather than just using them to season the stew?

In any case, this is the kind of thing I think we should see more of, if only because these shows are free to succeed or fail on their own, based on the merit of the content and not buyoed or sandbagged by mere association.

#2 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 17 January 2010 - 12:00 AM

I was wondering if that was indeed based off the comic. Good to know.

#3 ThePoet

ThePoet

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 12:04 AM

I saw the preview, this has a chance. They've at least got the actors to pull it off. The last good cowboy show I can't even remember, the last western movie worth a damn was 3:10 to Yuma.

-ThePoet

#4 videogameman

videogameman

Part of the Rag-Tag Fugitive Fleet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Interests:Video games, literature, Anime/Manga, Western animation ie. Cartoons, and your momma!

Posted 17 January 2010 - 12:21 AM

I agree. this is the stuff Marvel needs to be doing more often. DC put Static Shock on TV, despite being a new, slightly obscure character. Now that Marvel has the support of Disney like DC has the support of Warner, I hope to see Marvel put more of its obscure characters on the map.

#5 Sir Exal

Sir Exal

Still Here, somehow.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Interests:Promising myself I'll change and then never doing it.

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:34 PM

It ain't bad. It's got the innovation that is so often poison to broadcast TV shows. And whatever-his-name-is is now my official #1 Heroic Sociopath.

But when the possibility of fiery holocaust comes up twice in just as many episodes...I'm a bit skeptical of its staying power.

#6 ThePoet

ThePoet

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 12:46 AM

This show does have a real shot, but Exal is right. If the fiery holocaust is persistent throughout the comics, then the producers need to take some creative liberties. Also, the first three episodes look like they're airing in three separate time slots, not a good recipe for success. Good recipe for testing the waters.

-ThePoet

#7 Tarvius

Tarvius

Ironwolverorschach Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 02:27 AM

Watched the first two episodes, and let me tell you I'm already a fan. The storyline thus far is a bit simplistic, but the the few plot twists really give the series definition. Acting wise it wasn't over the top, but it's better than a lot of the other shows out there. What really won me over though was the characters.They're cool, they're relateable, and best of all they have depth. I'm so tired of television characters being so static and one-dimensional it's nice to see a change for once. Now I can hear your angry rebuttals already, and Yes I know chance doesn't exactly fit this description but in my defense I have a gut feeling that his past is a lot deeper then they are revealing. This shows got serious potential.

Also, Guerrero is awesome.

#8 geomease

geomease

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 05:17 PM

So Cartoon Network is launching a new Scooby doo series. Not that surprising since they've been rererererererererererereleasing it since it aired eons ago. However this one is, different. The premis of the gang is there, but they're dated noticeably with the times. They're obviously out of place with and their parents, the local authorities, and basically everyone else in the world are almost unilaterally disapproving of their mystery solving hobby. Additionally theres a number of new curves thrown in as well. Velma is cynical and sarcastic, almost bitter, and has a secret affair with Shaggy. Daphne is literally throwing herself at Fred who is painfully oblivious to her obvious infatuation with him instead focusing all his attention on his beloved traps. (which would actually explain why he's not interested in her advances) It just sort of gets weirder from there, during the obligatory monster chase scene Fred gets his chance and sets off an overly elaborate Ruth Goldburn like trap that takes at least 1:30 seconds of airtime and then fails completely traps the gang instead. To add a veritable cherry on top at the end of the premiere episode they added a fairly funny crack about professors and teachers noticeably low salary line which I found a bit funny.

Anyway heres the wiki lnk which I feel doesn't do the show justice. At the very least it's worth a look because it does something different for a change rather than rehashing the exact same setting.

Wiki link

#9 videogameman

videogameman

Part of the Rag-Tag Fugitive Fleet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Interests:Video games, literature, Anime/Manga, Western animation ie. Cartoons, and your momma!

Posted 14 July 2010 - 09:19 PM

So Cartoon Network is launching a new Scooby doo series. Not that surprising since they've been rererererererererererereleasing it since it aired eons ago. However this one is, different. The premis of the gang is there, but they're dated noticeably with the times. They're obviously out of place with and their parents, the local authorities, and basically everyone else in the world are almost unilaterally disapproving of their mystery solving hobby. Additionally theres a number of new curves thrown in as well. Velma is cynical and sarcastic, almost bitter, and has a secret affair with Shaggy. Daphne is literally throwing herself at Fred who is painfully oblivious to her obvious infatuation with him instead focusing all his attention on his beloved traps. (which would actually explain why he's not interested in her advances) It just sort of gets weirder from there, during the obligatory monster chase scene Fred gets his chance and sets off an overly elaborate Ruth Goldburn like trap that takes at least 1:30 seconds of airtime and then fails completely traps the gang instead. To add a veritable cherry on top at the end of the premiere episode they added a fairly funny crack about professors and teachers noticeably low salary line which I found a bit funny.

Anyway heres the wiki lnk which I feel doesn't do the show justice. At the very least it's worth a look because it does something different for a change rather than rehashing the exact same setting.

Wiki link

That. Sounds. Awesome. Scooby Doo needed a new spin and this sounds like one that also keeps in the spirit of the show. Hopefully this turns out to be another of CN's new good shows.

#10 Marvel Man

Marvel Man

Get this crayon outta my nostril, PLEASE!

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 4,552 posts
  • Interests:Doing stuff... And fighting evil.

Posted 15 July 2010 - 01:29 AM

It better not be live action. Anyone else see those direct to tv movies describing how the gang got together?

Worst five minutes of my life. I went into a furniture store to make a payment. I came out running and cried for several hours...

But seriously, terrible movie. A new cartoon will do the series some good.

#11 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 15 July 2010 - 01:24 PM

Does anyone else notice the irony in the fact that the guy who played Shaggy in the theatrical releases also played a druggy punk in "SLC Punk!"?

#12 AKUMA

AKUMA

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,049 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 11:56 AM

I'll stick with the 60s and 70s scooby....

#13 Soberguy

Soberguy

Kneel before Zod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 01:04 PM

The fact that Velma is banging Shaggy is disturbing. The fact that he wants to keep it a secret to spare Scooby's feelings is even moreso.

Seriously, media. Stop "re-imagining" things which were great the first time around.

#14 Jaeger Panzer

Jaeger Panzer

The Gorram Hypocyte™ ~1337 Slenderman~

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 01:08 PM

Shaggy's shagging Velma...

#15 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 16 July 2010 - 01:15 PM

http://www.youtube.c...e=youtube_gdata

#16 Landon

Landon

The Main Character

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 04:48 PM

I think this is a "sequel" to A Pup Named Scooby Doo. Everyone acts the way they acted in that particular version of the series, except as teenagers. I hope they have a Red Herring cameo later on.

#17 Magnus

Magnus

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 05:48 PM

I hope they have a Red Herring cameo later on.

I never appreciated that as a child.

#18 Canis Minor

Canis Minor

That Guy Nobody Likes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy making a pest of myself. Also cartoons. But mostly the first thing.

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:20 PM

...and sets off an overly elaborate Ruth Goldburn like trap...

It's Rube Goldberg, not Ruth Goldburn (I'm assuming). Sorry to be such a nitpicker, but that was driving me nuts.

Anyway, I'll probably check this series out at some point, just because I like to know what the current TV line ups, cartoon-wise are.

#19 geomease

geomease

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:28 AM

Heh thought I may have gotten that first part wrpng, oh well. Also being a huge fan of sonic comics I approve of your avatar pic

#20 Canis Minor

Canis Minor

That Guy Nobody Likes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • Interests:I enjoy making a pest of myself. Also cartoons. But mostly the first thing.

Posted 22 July 2010 - 07:42 AM

:D thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users