120 replies to this topic

#1 Soberguy

Soberguy

Kneel before Zod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:24 PM

I'm planning on moving in October and was going to get a game system. Normally I'm a PC gamer guy all the way, but I figured if I picked up a PS3 I'd have a good Blu-Ray Player (which I'd be buying anyway) for which I could get a game or two I'd play and many more my kids would play. Plus, the basic online stuff is free (unless I'm mistaken) which caters to both my loathing of playing against strangers online and my incredible cheapness.

Anyhow, last chance for any XBox 360 fans to convince me that I'm making a horrible mistake.

Before you bother Wii fans, forget it. It's cute, but I want a machine for grown ups.

#2 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 06:59 PM

From what I have heard, Xbox Live is much better than the whole PS3 internet thing, even if you do have to pay for it. That and I think Xbox has better exclusive games. PS3 loses all their exclusives except Killzone and a few others. Meanwhile, Xbox takes most of PS3 exclusives. If your kids want to play, Xbox and PS3 target pretty much the same age group. Seeings how you refuse to get a Wii, I'm going to assume that your children are somewhat of age to play M rated games or at the very least, T rated games. Xbox and PS3 have a good selection of both age ranges, but Xbox has a better shooter library, in my opinion. Not sure how other libraries match up.

#3 Skirmisher

Skirmisher

Field Marshal

• Members
  • 5,026 posts
  • Interests:The Halo Universe, Warhammer Fantasy and 40K, Deconstructing the Hype of Star Wars, Still Like Star Wars though...

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:01 PM

I'm planning on moving in October and was going to get a game system. Normally I'm a PC gamer guy all the way, but I figured if I picked up a PS3 I'd have a good Blu-Ray Player (which I'd be buying anyway) for which I could get a game or two I'd play and many more my kids would play. Plus, the basic online stuff is free (unless I'm mistaken) which caters to both my loathing of playing against strangers online and my incredible cheapness.

Anyhow, last chance for any XBox 360 fans to convince me that I'm making a horrible mistake.

Before you bother Wii fans, forget it. It's cute, but I want a machine for grown ups.

Ok, from what I've heard of PS's Blue Ray, due to the cooling system the PS3 is fairly loud when you've been running it for more than a couple minutes (just like any console). This means that during your movies, you'll constantly hear the fan running, which can disrupt a good movie...

As well, with the PS3 your paying approximately $200 off the bat for unlimited Free Network services, while that same $200 could pay for almost 3 years (The longer the subscription the cheaper it gets) of XBox LIVE. What this means is that if you think that it will take more than 3 years for the PS4 or the XBox720 to come out, then go for the PS3. As well, with the XBox, you don't have to get it's online service to enjoy alot of it's titles. Meaning you don't have to subscribe to LIVE.

Another nice thing is that usually when getting something like a new console or a new game, you will probably get a free month of LIVE free anyway.

#4 Landon

Landon

The Main Character

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:04 PM

Larger player base for online stuff, since the 360's been out longer.

Cheaper cost. The low end model retails for $150. That's even cheaper than a Wii, although the Wii comes with games.

More games, since it's been out longer and more companies develop for it.

Everything else boils down to taste.

I went with a PS3 for the same reasons you want one: free online play and the bluray player. My only regret in making that choice is that all of my friends have 360's and don't have PS3's. But that wasn't a dealbreaker for me.

#5 Jaeger Panzer

Jaeger Panzer

The Gorram Hypocyte™ ~1337 Slenderman~

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:12 PM

Well, you could get a 360 Slim which has 250 gigs for memory and a built in WIFI... and it goes for $200+. It also has better cooling system than the older models and it runs quieter as well. Plus, its a bit smaller, great for more space in my opinion, and it has the awesome black detail which outclasses even the elite's look.

#6 LegendX

LegendX

Part of the Rag-Tag Fugitive Fleet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • Interests:MMA, pro wrestling, muscle cars, sport bikes, pitbulls, Star Wars, Star Trek, hip hop, stand-up comedy and the philosophy of pointlessly, useless stuff.

Posted 18 August 2010 - 07:19 PM

If I were you I'd choose based on the games you want. There's really only about hundred bucks seperating the two systems. I love the free online gaming the PS3 offers, but, I hear XBox Live is far more reliable. I wish the PS3 had 250gb like the newsest 360's (I could upgrade, but, I don't know if I wanna go that far), but the blueray, having more games that interest me and the web browser made me buy the PS3.

edit: Also, I had the exact opposite experience Landon had, all my friends have PS3s, not 360s. That helped push my decision.

#7 Marvel Man

Marvel Man

Get this crayon outta my nostril, PLEASE!

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 4,552 posts
  • Interests:Doing stuff... And fighting evil.

Posted 18 August 2010 - 09:32 PM

Ah, your Wii-mockey is a grave mistake. One day, Nintendo will finally activate their world domination plan and enslave humanity (Unless Google does it first). Then you'll see. YOU'LL ALL SEE!

*Loses a bunch of weight playing Wii Boxing*

Anyways, I'd save my money and wait for the 3D tvs to go down in price. If I had kids, I'd give it to them on their birthday, then watch it all day long while they're at school. Seriously, Blu-Ray is on it's way out. 3D is the future!

#8 Rhekarid

Rhekarid

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:47 PM

The 360 is a better tool for bludgeoning intruders.

#9 LegendX

LegendX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • Interests:MMA, pro wrestling, muscle cars, sport bikes, pitbulls, Star Wars, Star Trek, hip hop, stand-up comedy and the philosophy of pointlessly, useless stuff.

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:55 PM

The 360 is a better tool for bludgeoning intruders.

I don't know about that... PS3 has some decent weight to it.

#10 Soberguy

Soberguy

Kneel before Zod

• Members
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:34 AM

Thanks for the input guys... a few questions though. Pardon my n00b:

1) How critical are the GBs? I mean, it runs off a game disk - does downloadable content really take up that much space? I guess I've never quite understood what you are all filling up your hard drives with.

2) I'm going to get WiFi for my new place so that my daughter can run her laptop and I can use my iPhone. Does PS3 not come with built in WiFi, or do I have to get an additional do-dad for that?

3) As mentioned, I hate online play, generally speaking. I'm never going to be good enough at these games to do anything other than die a quick and fiery death, and being laughed at by a pasty 16-year old who's never kissed a girl because I got "t0t4lly PW3D!" in Halo isn't fun. That said, my kids may want to and even I might jump on now and then just for the heck of it. I know the consensus is that XBoX Live is better, but is PS3's online good enough for the causal user? I just want to periodically jump on, find a match and play for a bit without D/Cing. How much is XBox Live anyhow?

4) Exclusives. Is it the case that there are certain games which are simply never released on PS3 or is it that the XBox people get certain titles first, and then like a year later they port them to PS3? The only ones I can think of which I think are exclusives on the XBox that I might want to play are Fable and Halo. I think the bulk of the other games I'd play are cross-platform or have something similar enough on the PS3 that I'm not going to care.

5) Game pricing. Is it pretty much the same for both platforms? Is there is difference in the availability of used copies (my preferred, cheap-o method)?

#11 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:26 AM

Thanks for the input guys... a few questions though. Pardon my n00b:

1) How critical are the GBs? I mean, it runs off a game disk - does downloadable content really take up that much space? I guess I've never quite understood what you are all filling up your hard drives with.

2) I'm going to get WiFi for my new place so that my daughter can run her laptop and I can use my iPhone. Does PS3 not come with built in WiFi, or do I have to get an additional do-dad for that?

3) As mentioned, I hate online play, generally speaking. I'm never going to be good enough at these games to do anything other than die a quick and fiery death, and being laughed at by a pasty 16-year old who's never kissed a girl because I got "t0t4lly PW3D!" in Halo isn't fun. That said, my kids may want to and even I might jump on now and then just for the heck of it. I know the consensus is that XBoX Live is better, but is PS3's online good enough for the causal user? I just want to periodically jump on, find a match and play for a bit without D/Cing. How much is XBox Live anyhow?

4) Exclusives. Is it the case that there are certain games which are simply never released on PS3 or is it that the XBox people get certain titles first, and then like a year later they port them to PS3? The only ones I can think of which I think are exclusives on the XBox that I might want to play are Fable and Halo. I think the bulk of the other games I'd play are cross-platform or have something similar enough on the PS3 that I'm not going to care.

5) Game pricing. Is it pretty much the same for both platforms? Is there is difference in the availability of used copies (my preferred, cheap-o method)?

1. I can't speak for PS3, I don't know too much about it, but all your save games are saved to the hard drive, so that takes up GBs. If you have a ridiculous game, like Ninja Gaiden 2, it'll even save all the cutscenes to the hard drive. They don't take up too much memory, but that's what the GB is mainly used for.

3. Xbox Live is usually worth it if you buy for an entire year. I don't play any internet stuff though so I don't know too much.

4. Most games are becoming cross platform but there are a few quality games that are usually only released on one system. Some games that used to be exclusive are not, such as Ratchet and Clank.

5. Games are generally 60 bucks for either system. I don't know about you Canadian folk though.

#12 Soberguy

Soberguy

Kneel before Zod

• Members
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:43 AM

5. Games are generally 60 bucks for either system. I don't know about you Canadian folk though.

Usually they go for about three beaver pelts, but sometimes you can find them on sale for like a mink pelt and a 1L jug of maple syrup.

#13 Rhekarid

Rhekarid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:09 AM

You might find this list useful.

#14 LegendX

LegendX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 11:23 AM

1. Game saves won't usually use up to much memory. Unless you have a massive amount of games you'll have plenty GBs. But if you start downloading movies like I do it'll start eating Gigs pretty quick.
2. WiF is built in to the PS3, no extra hardware needed.
3. I use PSN daily and I don't have much problem with it. I get dropped from a lobby now and then, but that's it.
4. I don't know much about the exclusives, but most reviews I read on the games they share indicate that PS3 has slightly better visuals and audio.
5. Last time I went to GameStop I saw a used PS3 and a used XBox 360 at the exact same price.

#15 Skirmisher

Skirmisher

Field Marshal

• Members
  • 5,026 posts
  • Interests:The Halo Universe, Warhammer Fantasy and 40K, Deconstructing the Hype of Star Wars, Still Like Star Wars though...

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:52 PM

1) Movies are going to be the big GB eater, but so can games if you DL them right to your Box. An XBox game can be bought on the internet and DLed into your harddrve for about $20-$50 and takes up around 5 to 6 GBs of space.

2) Both the new XBox and the PS3 have built in WiFi, so it doesn't matter.

3) Since your paying the hidden cost of internet hookup in the bill for the PS3, you'd be best to get an XBox and casually pay occasionally for LIVE. Much cheaper in the long run. Especially if you're not going to be online alot.

5b) As for availability of used games... just look at how many people here are arguing for XBox compared to PS3...

#16 videogameman

videogameman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Interests:Video games, literature, Anime/Manga, Western animation ie. Cartoons, and your momma!

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:30 PM

5b) As for availability of used games... just look at how many people here are arguing for XBox compared to PS3...

That's not true. Look at PS3's exclusives. Uncharted(which the second was GOTY I remind you), Heavy Rain, Little Big planet, InFamous, A new Twisted Metal, ratchet and Clank, the best Arkham Aslyum(free Joker challenge levels!), etc.

#17 Rhekarid

Rhekarid

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:34 PM

And it's not like the point of the thread was to specifically ask them to do that, so we know they're unbiased.

#18 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:33 PM

That's not true. Look at PS3's exclusives. Uncharted(which the second was GOTY I remind you), Heavy Rain, Little Big planet, InFamous, A new Twisted Metal, ratchet and Clank, the best Arkham Aslyum(free Joker challenge levels!), etc.

Ratchet and clank is coming out for Xbox. I don't think a few extra Joker Challenge levels should determine what system Soberguy buys.

#19 Stranglehold-prime

Stranglehold-prime

I am One with the Ferret.

• Members
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:09 PM

XB slim this the best 360 model up to date.

I also have a ps3 but 360 has better gamer play.

Xb live better downloads and stuff like Facebook.

XB slim comes with Bulit in wifi and also sensor you dont have to press a buttom but wave your hand.

XB slim is Kinect ready.

I would choose Xbox for good gamerplay and ps3 for bettter graphics and blue ray.

Watch these vidoes please.

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

This is the Kinect:(It is only for the 369)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2qlHoxPioM

#20 Stranglehold-prime

Stranglehold-prime

I am One with the Ferret.

• Members
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:36 PM

Here are some really good Xbox exclusives that I like.

Halo reach is coming sone. This is the series that made Xbox and if you love first shooters games get this. KickASSS online game.(THERE NO DAMN CAMPERS IN HALO LIKE COD SO YOU WILL NOT HAVE TO WORRY!)

I mean this game is ok but if you like really really high gore and blood and is a shooter fan you should get Gears of war 3.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7Te5fcnrUA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etwR_GFaBl4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k86rf5osUWY (this is the new beast mode)

NOW this is one of my favorite RPG GAMES OF ALL times Fable 3 hits the stores in september. Really good RPg with alot action! If you love RPg GET THIS GAME!Note I prefer you play Fable 2 before this game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-VEWuStpOU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpR2Uy2VLMc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpR2Uy2VLMc

In this game you freaking become King!You raise or lower taxes! get marries,have kids,Kill anyone you want,go to war,etc!!!!

Here is a cool new Star wars game for the Kinect
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPZg22hAYBA

If you like rpg and shooter you should get Mass effect 2. I love that game.(its already out)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5DL6jFXfhM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT-FNgMZC-A

Now you must have heard of this game LEFY 4 DEAD 2 if you like zombie gore game get this I like. Online is great.(heard they were comong out with a part 3)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSfsMJgypdw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W3vSBUDOSM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users