50 replies to this topic

#1 deojusto

deojusto

I am One with the Ferret.

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:46 AM

This is an old game I use to play with some friends of mine. The game is called “Were-Wolf” or occasionally “Mafia”, “Assassin”, or “Zombie” depending on the version. The premise is that a minority of the group are the killers, and the group at large must find and stop them to succeed. I’ve never played it online, so we’ll have to see how everything works out. Reply on this thread if you’re interested.

Basics: Player Roles

2-3 Werewolves
-Every night the werewolves can kill any one member of the community by decision as a Pack( through the were-wolf magic of PMing). During the day they revert to normal humans and seem innocent to the rest of the villagers. The were-wolves succeed when all the villagers are killed leaving room for their clan to take over the town.

1 Hunter
-The hunter is a proficient werewolf tracker and killer. He despises the evil beings of the night and makes a necklace of their teeth. In an attempt to circumvent the ineffective justice and witch-trials of the community at large, he spends the night attempting to kill the beasts as a vigilante. While he is not truly an innocent, he succeeds when all the werewolves are dead, and is essentially on the same team as the villagers.

1 Detective
-Unbeknownst to the villagers or the were-beasts, a constable has been sent in secret from Scotland Yard to deal with the Lycanthrope problem. Unlike the Hunter, the Detective is an astute observer of clues and uses his brains instead of lethal force. The detective has the ability to investigate any suspicious character and determine what role that member plays. However he would be wise to keep his own identity secret from the community; people in this here town don’t like police officers, and were-wolves hate them more and will certainly kill any investigator they find to protect themselves.

1-2 Witches
-As studiers of the occult arts, witches have lived in this sleepy little town for years. Despite a bad PR problem in the middle ages, Witches are actually quite compassionate and a benefit to their community. With the were-wolves on the rise, the local coven has sent some of its members with a packet of wolfsbane to protect the villagers. The witch can protect any member of the community for one night, so she must pick her choice wisely. Should she attempt to protect a villager who turns out to be a were-wolf she will be devoured on sight.

a butt-load of angry villagers
-These are the average lot of rabble-rousers who have lived in this town for years. They’re sick of dead bodies lying on their doorsteps, and they’re going to do something about it Gosh-Dang-It! Every day the village convenes in the town square to accuse, defend, and eventually lynch someone suspected of these horrific crimes. However at night the townspeople are helpless prey, so they aught to get these creatures in the daylight when they have the chance.

Rules/Guidelines

-There is no set size limit, but a minimum of at least 10 players would be preferable.

-Every morning I will write a “Dawn” scene in which I will describe the events that occurred the previous night. If anyone dies I will describe their demise in gory detail, and reveal their true identity.

-With the exception of werewolves, who can PM to each other when choosing the night’s target, there is to be no strategizing/talking about the game outside the thread.

-The were-wolves can kill 1 person a night and must agree as a group, or at least take a vote. (This number is variable to increase with a larger playing group, or the possibility of two werewolf clans operating separately in competition)

-Witch(es) can choose to protect one person a night. If that person is attacked by a were-wolf clan that night he/she is safe from harm and survives. If the witch attempts to protect a were-wolf, she dies.

-Hunters can kill one person a night of their own decision. Nothing can stop the hunter.

-Once per night the detectives can ask me, playing as omniscient god (I love to feed my ego), about the identity of any one player, which I will reveal. They cannot kill the person, but must convince the villagers during the town meeting to lynch someone if they know them to be a night-beast.

-The lynching votes go as so, everyone in town including the were-wolves and “special” characters, gets one vote which they pretty much have to use, they can change their votes as many times before “Sunset” (a specific time on West-Coast standard), but cannot vote for themselves. If a simple majority is reached to execute one person at sunset, they are lynched. Votes and accusations are to be posted on the forum in public. If no majority is reached by Sunset the mob goes home empty handed.

-Upon any form of death I will reveal the victims true identity to the town.

-If you die, you may still participate in the game, speaking on the forum as a ghost, but you cannot vote. If a were-wolf or detective dies he/she can trash-talk, but is pretty much out of the game due to his exclusive knowledge.

-The villagers win if all were-wolves die

-The werewolves win if they reach a point where the hunter and witch are dead and they outnumber the remaining population of townspeople, thereby controlling the lynching.

-The wolves, witches, hunter, and detective, must all pm me they’re choices for the night before “Sunset”. In the case of the detective, you will get a reply PM from me at “Dawn”, informing you of the identity of your suspect.

-Everyone can lie. A were wolf can say “hey everyone, I’m the detective, and Steve’s the one who’s been killing people”. I will neither confirm nor deny any such accusation.

-If I feel the wolves have it too easy, I may leave subtle hints in the descriptions which give clues to the townspeople. I will try my best to make it as obscure as possible as to not send it to far on the other side.

Backstories

To make this more RP like, you are strongly encouraged to write up a backstory for your villager. You don’t have to speak in character if you don’t want, but having a back-story is easier on me. It kind of takes the mood out when I say something like “The local farmer known as “Marvel-guy87” was ripped to pieces last night”. Here is a very basic back-story.

James Marlowe

Profession: Tavern owner

: No-one knows much about Old James. He’s a tough old son of a gun, and an ugly one for sure. Some say he was in the Royal Navy, others say he worked as a body-snatcher in London’s underground. If you ask him, all you’ll get is nod and a grunt. His wife says he’s been acting strange lately, “going out late at night, covered all up and down with nasty looking scratches, I ask what he’s doing out there and all I get is a yell to get back in the kitchen…”

You are free to interlock characters if you choose. I won’t be randomly assigning positions until after all back-stories are written so keep in mind that you have no idea who’ll you be when writing.

Tips/Other

-Feel free to accuse others or defend yourself on the forum. Use any clues on the way people behave and the hints from the details of death I provide to show innocence or guilt.

-Were-wolves are aware of who the other wolves are and probably won’t vote against a member of the pack. If a group of the same people all vote in the same way each time, they may be working together.

-If you are a werewolf, vote tactically. If it looks like everyone’s already found out that Bill is a member of the clan, you can vote against him to dispel doubt on yourself.

-Hunters and Witches have the choice not to use their abilities for a night if they feel they might kill an innocent or protect the guilty.

-If you can’t participate for a round due to a legitimate reason let me know. I’m not sure what I’ll do, probably just postpone the game for a while, but I’ll try to accommodate.

If you have any suggestions to add, feel free to do so. I’ve never done this before so there might be gaps in game-play I’m missing.

#2 deojusto

deojusto

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:54 AM

wikipedia link with general details

#3 Tsemasi

Tsemasi

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:19 AM

Great idea.

What era is this set in?

#4 KevinDWolf93

KevinDWolf93

A fluffy puppy with a heart of gold!

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 12,353 posts
  • Interests:Mythology and other lore, reading, writing, Werewolves/wolves, weapons, science fiction, fighting, 19th/20th century literature (ex. Moby Dick, Call of the Wild, Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)

Posted 28 July 2010 - 10:00 AM

Ive heard of this game. Count me in, this could be alot of fun considering the cast we've got on-site.

#5 deojusto

deojusto

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 11:23 AM

Great idea.

What era is this set in?

18th-19th century England.

Ive heard of this game. Count me in, this could be alot of fun considering the cast we've got on-site.

For some reason I figured a game about Were-wolves would be right up your alley

#6 Marvel Man

Marvel Man

Get this crayon outta my nostril, PLEASE!

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 4,552 posts
  • Interests:Doing stuff... And fighting evil.

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:16 PM

Amazing. This RP looks amazing. I've actually played a similar version offline, and it was fairly entertaining.
Count me in.

#7 KevinDWolf93

KevinDWolf93

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 12,353 posts
  • Interests:Mythology and other lore, reading, writing, Werewolves/wolves, weapons, science fiction, fighting, 19th/20th century literature (ex. Moby Dick, Call of the Wild, Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:32 PM

18th-19th century England.

For some reason I figured a game about Were-wolves would be right up your alley

Popular guess on this site. Its the name, I think :huh:. Anyways Ill see about bringing in a character. Though this is gonna be in real time from what I gather?

#8 deojusto

deojusto

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:36 PM

That depends what you mean by real time. I was thinking I'd leave a window of at least a few hours to possibly a full 24 for people to discuss on the thread, then after the deadline I'll collect the votes, hang any convicted parties, then get to work writing a summary of what happens during the night and post it at another set time late that night or early the next day. Although in a live game the voting process usually only takes a few minutes, I figure it might not be realistic that everyone will be on line and responding so quickly. However if things move quickly I can speed up the time line to a more upbeat pace.

#9 KevinDWolf93

KevinDWolf93

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 12,353 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:38 PM

Thats what I meant...sounds good dude.

#10 Jaeger Panzer

Jaeger Panzer

The Gorram Hypocyte™ ~1337 Slenderman~

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 06:52 PM

Mh, Wolves, love em. I'll think about joining.

#11 deojusto

deojusto

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 09:33 PM

Be glad to have you Jaeger. Any other takers?

#12 He who fights monsters

He who fights monsters

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 4,600 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:47 PM

I call the hunter. My username is all fitting.

#13 KevinDWolf93

KevinDWolf93

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 12,353 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:54 PM

I call the hunter. My username is all fitting.

We dont pick em, were given em secretly...and unless u wanna get lynched/eaten/etc in the first go, youd best keep what u got secret...thats the name of the game after all.

#14 He who fights monsters

He who fights monsters

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 4,600 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 10:57 PM

Oh. Pardon my trigger-happy choosing. I do hope I'm the hunter.

#15 KevinDWolf93

KevinDWolf93

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 12,353 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:43 PM

Oh. Pardon my trigger-happy choosing. I do hope I'm the hunter.

Well if you are, youd better hope a werewolf doesnt figure that out -_-

#16 Jaeger Panzer

Jaeger Panzer

The Gorram Hypocyte™ ~1337 Slenderman~

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:45 PM

Mh, wolves... I love wolves. They're awesome.

#17 KevinDWolf93

KevinDWolf93

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 12,353 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:48 PM

Mh, wolves... I love wolves. They're awesome.

*thumbs up* Oh hellz yeah!

#18 deojusto

deojusto

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:54 PM

Well if you are, you'd better hope a werewolf doesnt figure that out -_-

not if he can kill them first

#19 ND7

ND7