• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 darthsketch

darthsketch

Released the Kraken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • Interests:Movies, books, anime, comics, video games, music and pop culture.

Posted 18 June 2009 - 06:33 PM

I thought I knew about all the low-budget crap (The 1980's Captain America, Punisher, Fantastic Four and Nick Fury movies) Marvel has tried to hide from its fans now that its gotten serious about producing quality films...but I was wrong. Turns out...there exists a Dr. Strange movie produced back in the late 70's. Feast your eyes on this, true believers:

Dr. Strange (1978)

If you think that's bad...check out the FIRST Marvel-backed Captain America movie made only a year later:

Captain America (1979)

#2 KevinDWolf93

KevinDWolf93

A fluffy puppy with a heart of gold!

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,353 posts
  • Interests:Mythology and other lore, reading, writing, Werewolves/wolves, weapons, science fiction, fighting, 19th/20th century literature (ex. Moby Dick, Call of the Wild, Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)

Posted 18 June 2009 - 06:46 PM

I thought I knew about all the low-budget crap (The 1980's Captain America, Punisher, Fantastic Four and Nick Fury movies) Marvel has tried to hide from its fans now that its gotten serious about producing quality films...but I was wrong. Turns out...there exists a Dr. Strange movie produced back in the late 70's. Feast your eyes on this, true believers:

Dr. Strange (1978)

If you think that's bad...check out the FIRST Marvel-backed Captain America movie made only a year later:

Captain America (1979)

*Gives best Joker laugh impression*

Funny yes, but I found something else that is intresting u didn't mention..

BEHOLD !!!!SPIDERMAN!!!

#3 Cosmic Deadpool

Cosmic Deadpool

Don't feed him after midnight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 06:46 PM

Dr. Strange (1978)

Captain America (1979)

OMG.. I..I can't believe that I'd forgotten about that Dr. Strange movie..it must have sucked so bad that I blocked it out..but it was all we had...nah..no way to justify it...even as a kid I knew it sucked..the ONLY thing worse was Reb Brown as Cap..what a cheeseball..
~pool

#4 Cosmic Deadpool

Cosmic Deadpool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 06:48 PM

OMG.. I..I can't believe that I'd forgotten about that Dr. Strange movie..it must have sucked so bad that I blocked it out..but it was all we had...nah..no way to justify it...even as a kid I knew it sucked..the ONLY thing worse was Reb Brown as Cap..what a cheeseball..
~pool

Hey sketch..you should do a favorite..worst Marvel movie poll..
~pool

#5 darthsketch

darthsketch

Released the Kraken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 07:00 PM

Hey sketch..you shouls so a favorite..worst Marvel movie poll..
~pool

Haha...I'll get around to it if I can ever get a concise list down (There's a LOT)...and some of these movies I've never seen myself, but have only heard of. I still haven't been able to find the Nick Fury movie with David Hasslehoff...even online. Marvel's done a great job making us forget that these blunders ever happened though <_<

#6 KevinDWolf93

KevinDWolf93

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 12,353 posts
  • Interests:Mythology and other lore, reading, writing, Werewolves/wolves, weapons, science fiction, fighting, 19th/20th century literature (ex. Moby Dick, Call of the Wild, Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)

Posted 18 June 2009 - 07:17 PM

Haha...I'll get around to it if I can ever get a concise list down (There's a LOT)...and some of these movies I've never seen myself, but have only heard of. I still haven't been able to find the Nick Fury movie with David Hasslehoff...even online. Marvel's done a great job making us forget that these blunders ever happened though <_<

Yeah Ive found clips and tributes, but not the whole damn thing.

#7 darthsketch

darthsketch

Released the Kraken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 07:40 PM

Yeah Ive found clips and tributes, but not the whole damn thing.

Yeah...funny thing is though...

I saw it ONCE...YEARS ago...on VHS not far from (believe it or not) the 80's Captain America movie. Unfortuanately, my dad would only let me rent one movie that night, so, I had to choose. After that night, I never saw it again...probably for the best though <_<

#8 KevinDWolf93

KevinDWolf93

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 12,353 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 08:51 PM

Yeah...funny thing is though...

I saw it ONCE...YEARS ago...on VHS not far from (believe it or not) the 80's Captain America movie. Unfortuanately, my dad would only let me rent one movie that night, so, I had to choose. After that night, I never saw it again...probably for the best though <_<

Yeah, well Im not that old to catch it, so(for the best) I never got that chance. Luckily for me the first comic related media I ever saw was Batman TAS. Which also gave me my love of Robin/Nightwing. The second was Spiderman 90's series. I never saw the crappy cartoons until I was well on my way to being a fan. I got the luck of the draw huh...

#9 Artemis Entreri

Artemis Entreri

Part of the Rag-Tag Fugitive Fleet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 10:02 AM

Dr. Strange (1978)

Captain America (1979)

Yeah you right Darth on all but one of those movies. I personally think that the Dolph Lungren's Punisher was better than most other movies by far. And even to the point of thinking it was better than the remake!

It's just my opinon and I'm just old enough to were the FX looked good. But aside from that the rest movies bites monkey balls!!!!

#10 darthsketch

darthsketch

Released the Kraken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 10:40 AM

Yeah you right Darth on all but one of those movies. I personally think that the Dolph Lungren's Punisher was better than most other movies by far. And even to the point of thinking it was better than the remake!

It's just my opinon and I'm just old enough to were the FX looked good. But aside from that the rest movies bites monkey balls!!!!

Eh...as far the Punisher movies go...

War Zone >>>> Lungren's >> Jane's

#11 Artemis Entreri

Artemis Entreri

Part of the Rag-Tag Fugitive Fleet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 10:47 AM

Eh...as far the Punisher movies go...

War Zone >>>> Lungren's >> Jane's

I didn't like War Zone! It was action packed and great visually but the actor playing Frank was whack to me! I couldn't connect with him! But other than that it was okay! I guess!

#12 Landon

Landon

The Main Character

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 03:33 PM

Punisher War Zone was brilliant violent satire on par with Robocop and Starship Troopers.

Dolph Lundren's was amusing at the time. Haven't seen it since its original VHS release though.

Never bothered with the one where John Travolta was the villain. Don't think I will either based on what I've heard.

#13 darthsketch

darthsketch

Released the Kraken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 04:05 PM

Punisher War Zone was brilliant violent satire on par with Robocop and Starship Troopers.

Dolph Lundren's was amusing at the time. Haven't seen it since its original VHS release though.

Never bothered with the one where John Travolta was the villain. Don't think I will either based on what I've heard.

I hated the one with Travolta. They didn't stick to the comic, Jane looked and acted NOTHING like Castle and the film just took itself WAY too seriously...AND they had the nerve to toss in the Russian, Frank's cheesiest nemesis. I hated it from beginning to end.

#14 MarvelFan15

MarvelFan15

May I polish your boots, Marvel Man ?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
  • Interests:Fighting Frost-Giants, demons, Loki, and DC fanboys. Also: Sports, Movies, Comics, TV, Games (of any sort), books, cars, girls, and Video Games.

Posted 19 June 2009 - 05:36 PM

I hated the one with Travolta. They didn't stick to the comic, Jane looked and acted NOTHING like Castle and the film just took itself WAY too seriously...AND they had the nerve to toss in the Russian, Frank's cheesiest nemesis. I hated it from beginning to end.

I've seen no Punisher movie. My question is, why couldn't they push aside Punisher for someone like Dr.Strange, or Captain America, and gave the film a decent budget, with good writers and a great director?

#15 Magnetrex

Magnetrex

Slang for sucks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Interests:Chilling out, maxing, relaxing all cool and all shooting some b-ball outside of the school.

Posted 19 June 2009 - 07:24 PM

Now you can buy it in the bargain bin at Walmart for $2.00

Now why does everyone bash on the 2004 Punisher? That movie was pretty good and Thomas Jane was dead-on as the Punisher.

#16 Cosmic Deadpool

Cosmic Deadpool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 02:44 AM

Now why does everyone bash on the 2004 Punisher? That movie was pretty good and Thomas Jane was dead-on as the Punisher.

Its because..

Totally agree

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users