114 replies to this topic

#61 Jaeger Panzer

Jaeger Panzer

The Gorram Hypocyte™ ~1337 Slenderman~

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 02:42 PM

1. He didn't actually break off a piece of the world.

2. Unless you have some kind of evidence that his footstomp was at the speed of light(or greater), then it wasn't the cause of the disturbances. Since the Earth isn't one solid piece of matter a blow like that can in no way cause that amount of destruction. Obviously he was radiation some powerful energies, which also knocked back all of the heroes.

Of course not. There's nothing cute about it.

He caused earthquakes all over the planet... When he entered into his World Breaker Form, earthquakes started to occur all over the planet...

#62 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 29 June 2010 - 03:27 PM

2. Unless you have some kind of evidence that his footstomp was at the speed of light(or greater), then it wasn't the cause of the disturbances. Since the Earth isn't one solid piece of matter a blow like that can in no way cause that amount of destruction. Obviously he was radiation some powerful energies, which also knocked back all of the heroes.

What does his stomp at the speed of light have to do with anything? Why would his foot need to be the speed of light? Earthquakes have never been caused by anything moving the speed of light. They are usually caused by tectonic plate shifts, which could be caused by a massively strong monster. Also, the landmass he was standing on was one solid piece of matter or else he wouldn't have been standing. He stomped and it began to break. What were you reading? Why is this so hard to believe for you? I've never seen gamma radiation earthquakes. I have seen tectonic plate shifting earthquakes.

#63 catnips47

catnips47

Kneel before Zod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:08 PM

What does his stomp at the speed of light have to do with anything? Why would his foot need to be the speed of light? Earthquakes have never been caused by anything moving the speed of light. They are usually caused by tectonic plate shifts, which could be caused by a massively strong monster. Also, the landmass he was standing on was one solid piece of matter or else he wouldn't have been standing. He stomped and it began to break. What were you reading? Why is this so hard to believe for you? I've never seen gamma radiation earthquakes. I have seen tectonic plate shifting earthquakes.

Well wait now, massively strong monster does not equate to tectonic movement. Earthquakes mainly occur due to convergent plate margins. Hulk stomping is not really like two massive plates colliding with each other. It's a very different type of force.

That being said, I really don't see the reason to criticise the realism of a completely fictional character. Every fictional character on this site could be torn apart if we adopted this sort of attitude.

I mean, if you can bench a car.........your an unrealistic character.

Don't get me wrong, I think the feat is stupid.......but it won't be my main argument against the character..........because it doesn't matter. It would also be very hypocritical if I did dislike a character for that, as my favourite character nearly destroyed reality by screaming.

#64 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 05:25 AM

Why argue at all?

#65 catnips47

catnips47

Kneel before Zod

• Members
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 09:18 AM

Just didn't really agree with the comparison.

#66 Omega11

Omega11

Evil Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:15 AM

He caused earthquakes all over the planet... When he entered into his World Breaker Form, earthquakes started to occur all over the planet...

All over the planet, or was it just on the eastern coast? I haven't read it in a little while so I could be wrong, but I thought it was just the eastern coast.

What does his stomp at the speed of light have to do with anything? Why would his foot need to be the speed of light? Earthquakes have never been caused by anything moving the speed of light. They are usually caused by tectonic plate shifts, which could be caused by a massively strong monster.

Massively strong monster? No. Massively big monster, possible(as in, the size of a continent or so).

You just said it yourself, tectonic plate shifts cause earthquakes. Well guess what, standing on the earth's surface, Hulk can't effect any tectonic plate through sheer strength. Why? Because the earth's crust isn't one big piece of solid, rigid matter.

Ever see those commercials about shock absorbing matresses? The ones where you can jump on them at one end and still not knock over a glass of wine on the other end? That's what would happen here. It doesn't matter how hard Hulk stomps his foot, the force wouldn't carry through.

In fact, there was a guy named Sir Isaac Newton(maybe you've heard of him), he came up with some ideas which eventually became known as the scientific laws of motion. Now the second law states that Force=Mass(multiplied by)Acceleration.

Now since Hulk's foot has a (relatively)fixed mass, in order to get the appropriate amount of Force needed to actually "break the world" his foot's acceleration must increase dramatically. That's where the whole "speed of light" thing comes into effect.

So unless his foot was moving really, really, really, really, really fast, it's mass just isn't sufficient to cause any significant damage to the continent or the planet.

Which means is must have been the gamma radiation.

Also, the landmass he was standing on was one solid piece of matter or else he wouldn't have been standing.

Seriously? Did you seriously just say this?

Dirt counts as one solid piece of matter?

My apologies, I wasn't aware of this new breakthrough in science.

#67 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 10:56 AM

All over the planet, or was it just on the eastern coast? I haven't read it in a little while so I could be wrong, but I thought it was just the eastern coast.

Massively strong monster? No. Massively big monster, possible(as in, the size of a continent or so).

You just said it yourself, tectonic plate shifts cause earthquakes. Well guess what, standing on the earth's surface, Hulk can't effect any tectonic plate through sheer strength. Why? Because the earth's crust isn't one big piece of solid, rigid matter.

Ever see those commercials about shock absorbing matresses? The ones where you can jump on them at one end and still not knock over a glass of wine on the other end? That's what would happen here. It doesn't matter how hard Hulk stomps his foot, the force wouldn't carry through.

In fact, there was a guy named Sir Isaac Newton(maybe you've heard of him), he came up with some ideas which eventually became known as the scientific laws of motion. Now the second law states that Force=Mass(multiplied by)Acceleration.

Now since Hulk's foot has a (relatively)fixed mass, in order to get the appropriate amount of Force needed to actually "break the world" his foot's acceleration must increase dramatically. That's where the whole "speed of light" thing comes into effect.

So unless his foot was moving really, really, really, really, really fast, it's mass just isn't sufficient to cause any significant damage to the continent or the planet.

Which means is must have been the gamma radiation.

Seriously? Did you seriously just say this?

Dirt counts as one solid piece of matter?

My apologies, I wasn't aware of this new breakthrough in science.

This is one of the most dumb arguements I've ever allowed myself to be a part of for so many reasons (You're arguements being the majority of it). Regardless of all this crap that I don't have enough vested interest or access to the internet and the ability to post massive links and pictures in to really lay into you about, the moral of the story is that writer's determine the storyline. I highly doubt they read Newton's Law's of Physics or whatever before they decided, "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if we made Hulk strong enough to break the world?" In other words, he stomps and he breaks planets just like Buu screams and breaks reality (Thank you Catsnip). They want to push Hulk as being the strongest there is, so they pissed him off and made a feat to show that this is the strongest and angriest he's ever been. Period. They didn't go study all the science behind it. Only Skirmisher does that. He's strong enough to break planets because the writer's said so, it wasn't some weird freak of science gamma radiation earthquake, it was because the writer's said, let's make him strong enough to break worlds...nuff said.

Oh and if you really want to go get technical about it, Hulk was standing on a city street. Street = solid matter. Heh.

#68 Omega11

Omega11

Evil Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:10 AM

This is one of the most dumb arguements I've ever allowed myself to be a part of for so many reasons (You're arguements being the majority of it).

Yeah, logic is stupid.

Regardless of all this crap that I don't have enough vested interest or access to the internet and the ability to post massive links and pictures in to really lay into you about, the moral of the story is that writer's determine the storyline. I highly doubt they read Newton's Law's of Physics or whatever before they decided, "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if we made Hulk strong enough to break the world?" In other words, he stomps and he breaks planets just like Buu screams and breaks reality (Thank you Catsnip). They want to push Hulk as being the strongest there is, so they pissed him off and made a feat to show that this is the strongest and angriest he's ever been. Period. They didn't go study all the science behind it. Only Skirmisher does that. He's strong enough to break planets because the writer's said so, it wasn't some weird freak of science gamma radiation earthquake, it was because the writer's said, let's make him strong enough to break worlds...nuff said.

If they wanted to show that he was strong enough to break planets, they should probably have had him, you know, break planets!

Even if that's what they wanted to do, they didn't end up doing it. Again, does anyone here realize how small of a portion of the world the eastern seaboard is?

World War Hulk or World Breaker Hulk(if you feel the need to distinguish) didn't show planet-busting strength. The end.

Oh and if you really want to go get technical about it, Hulk was standing on a city street. Street = solid matter. Heh.

And that street is directly connected to a tectonic plate?

#69 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:32 AM

I'm not a Hulk expert, but I'm pretty sure that he punched through a planet on his way from his place of exile back to Earth, right before he started kicking everyone's ass. Wouldn't that feat make him into a Planet Buster?

#70 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:14 PM

Yeah, logic is stupid.

No, because I address omnipotence and should tread carefully.

#71 Jaeger Panzer

Jaeger Panzer

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:23 PM

All over the planet, if I can find a scan, I'll show you.

EDIT: It only showed Massachusetts, Connecticut and New York. So it was the Eastern Board.

#72 Omega11

Omega11

Evil Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 10:24 AM

I'm not a Hulk expert, but I'm pretty sure that he punched through a planet on his way from his place of exile back to Earth, right before he started kicking everyone's ass. Wouldn't that feat make him into a Planet Buster?

I think he punched an asteroid that was about his size.

If you've got a scan of him punching a planet-sized object and destroying it, then I'll admit his planet-busting status...and again, be in awe of the sheer depth writers will go to ignore physics.

Hey, it's a great Thanos quote.

EDIT: It only showed Massachusetts, Connecticut and New York. So it was the Eastern Board.

Yeah that's what I had remembered.

#73 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:41 PM

I think he punched an asteroid that was about his size.

If you've got a scan of him punching a planet-sized object and destroying it, then I'll admit his planet-busting status...and again, be in awe of the sheer depth writers will go to ignore physics.

Well, he punched the crap out of Gladiator once and there are plenty of scans of Gladiator punching through planets. I'd assume someone who can beat Gladiator to a pulp can punch with the equivalent level of strength. This would make him a planet breaker without the need of scans. Now, let's go find some dumb writers who ignore physics and science fact.

Hey, it's a great Thanos quote.

Tis true.

#74 catnips47

catnips47

Kneel before Zod

• Members
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 05:42 AM

To this day, I still think Hulk cracking onslaughts armour is the most impressive thing he's done. I would consider him holding a chunk of sakaar together the most impressive thing, but that's more a testament to the planets strength, which also had a massive gravity.

#75 Omega11

Omega11

Evil Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:50 AM

Well, he punched the crap out of Gladiator once and there are plenty of scans of Gladiator punching through planets. I'd assume someone who can beat Gladiator to a pulp can punch with the equivalent level of strength.

Strength does not necessarily correlate to durability.

Besides, as I recall, Hulk was dousing Gladiator in radiation during the fight(which is Gladiator's kryptonite).

#76 ricrery

ricrery

Part of the Rag-Tag Fugitive Fleet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 03:10 PM

This is one of the most dumb arguements I've ever allowed myself to be a part of for so many reasons (You're arguements being the majority of it). Regardless of all this crap that I don't have enough vested interest or access to the internet and the ability to post massive links and pictures in to really lay into you about, the moral of the story is that writer's determine the storyline. I highly doubt they read Newton's Law's of Physics or whatever before they decided, "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if we made Hulk strong enough to break the world?"

It doesn't matter what the authors wanted, we use math regardless. If they showed Hulk literally 1 million times weaker than before, we can provide evidence of other incidents where he was achieving similar feats before and conclude that that event was an outlier or had Hulk weakened.

Omnipotence?

#77 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 04:04 PM

It doesn't matter what the authors wanted, we use math regardless.

If it doesn't matter what they wrote, then why the hell are we arguing about it in the first place? It clearly doesn't matter.

#78 ricrery

ricrery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 05:22 PM

If it doesn't matter what they wrote, then why the hell are we arguing about it in the first place? It clearly doesn't matter.

Oh God this bullshit... if the authors didn't want Hulk generating a few OoM less than another instance, than they shouldn't have made it. We can find the most consistent events and, without throwing away the other feats, provide evidence of why they were weaker/stronger.

#79 TheRandomBandit

TheRandomBandit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Interests:Writing<br />FIghting<br />Dining

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:40 PM

It is only bullshit to you, because it is the truth. Not to name anybody in paticular Ive noticed when a lot of Dbz fans are shown and provin that Marvel and Dc characters can planet bust on their own, they get all pissy because they do not want their precious Goku or Dbz character to lose.

#80 Jaeger Panzer

Jaeger Panzer

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:47 PM

Comics don't make sense.. why bother trying to make it so it makes sense?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users