• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MarvelFan15

MarvelFan15

May I polish your boots, Marvel Man ?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
  • Interests:Fighting Frost-Giants, demons, Loki, and DC fanboys. Also: Sports, Movies, Comics, TV, Games (of any sort), books, cars, girls, and Video Games.

Posted 15 June 2010 - 04:24 PM

We all know who the Hulk is, and, depending on what mood we're in or who he's fighting on the CBUB boards, we'll either love 'em, or hate 'em.

Looking back over those many years of comicdom, there are those of us here who can remember many of Hulk's ups and downs (Ivan, I'm looking at you). So, to you, who was Hulk's best author. Or, if there is a particularly well written Hulk streak that constitutes the works of many writers, name that period of Hulk's history.

Descriptions will be appreciated.

EDIT: Also, please name your opinion of Hulk's worst period/author.

#2 Guest_Ivan_*

Guest_Ivan_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2010 - 05:38 PM

Peter David for all answers.

Edit: Explanation!? What? Oh, fine.

Peter David made it apparent that Hulk and Banner are FAR more a part of one another than either of them want to admit. He really brought the psychological aspects of the Hulk, and Banner's father, to the forefront. He turned Betty from a shrinking violet into a strong and capable female lead. You're going to get some other answers, like Bill Mantlo and Bruce Jones, but people generally only pick other answers because Peter David is SUCH an obvious choice.

#3 catnips47

catnips47

Kneel before Zod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:07 PM

I actually think the television series with Ferrigno and Bixy and the 2008 movie are better than all the comics to be honest. It's what I grew up with, and how I was first introduced to Hulk.

The storytelling of Joe Byrne was my favourite in the comics as it was very similar to the aforementioned series. I prefer the idea of a man with a general affliction, a cancer that he's desperate to get rid of. The Hulk genuinely ruins his life in these stories, forcing him to move on, and always be lonely. Never finding refuge or sanctity, thus making it a true curse. You don't get that in the comics, you just end up thinking ''Oh for Christ sake - Aren't you cured yet ?......you've had plenty of chances''. Stark put it best in the Planet Hulk arc (I think). He basically said that Banner WANTS to be Hulk, considering how many times he's been cured. I read that and thought......well what kind of tool would want to be the Hulk?............which in turn ebbed me away from the character.

Everything else is O.k in my opinion, providing he remains true to his character, a misunderstood, basically, gentle giant. Not a tall ,sarcastic, jackass that he has been since the Pantheon arc in most stories.

#4 Guest_Ivan_*

Guest_Ivan_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2010 - 06:50 PM

I don't buy the "gentle giant" Hulk because it runs contrary to the whole point of the character. The Hulk is the Id, completely unrestrained. That harkens all the way back to Stan's original interpretation. Like you've said, you haven't read any of the comics, you just want to like the films because that is what you've experienced. None of your criticisms about the comic continuity are really accurate, and given the mess the Hulk has been in since Planet Hulk (which sounds like the time you started reading) I don't think anything in the past five years is an accurate enough representation of the Hulk in comics for you to make that assessment. Stark's observation, by the way, was made first by Doc Sampson in Peter David's run.

#5 catnips47

catnips47

Kneel before Zod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:25 PM

Well that's the thing. I didn't start reading at Planet Hulk.The first issue I ever read, was, quite literally, the first ever Hulk comic. Planet Hulk is where I resumed per say, after almost a decade. I had read the previous stories (or most of them) before reading Planet Hulk. Now Planet Hulk, somehow, I actually liked. Don't know why, as previously suggested, hated the character. Perhaps it was the likeable idea of the other heroes banding together to finally rid themselves of the worlds sharpest double edged sword. And the simply gorgeous art styling were also a great influence.

But WWHulk was, simply put, painful to read. I imagine I don't need to explain why.

I disagree with your interpretation of the Hulks character, particularly, on Stan Lee's idea. His main basis for the Hulk was the combination of Frankenstein, Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. The idea of a man changing appearance and character. But he also made it abundantly clear that the Hulk was, at heart, a peaceful being, and it was indeed the ''puny humans'' at fault for causing his tantrums - just like Frankenstein. Over time, even that simple idea has been warped. There was a particular arc (You'll know - I won't) where the idea was that he actually craved attention, like a child, not a simple, peaceful creature.A particular scene that comes to my mind, is when Hulk lifts up an entire Tank over his head, preparing to crush some soldiers. And simply because they ignored him, he put it down and walked off. Now tell me, is that really how you imagine the Hulk ?

This all being introduced after Hulk becoming, bizarrely, more of a psychological problem than a physical one. Don't get me wrong, at first, I found that a truly inspired idea, and it was - at first - done brilliantly. But the problem was, in my opinion, and is now the case with most Marvel and DC stories ( NOT SAYING ANIME IS BETTER, JUST MY INTERPRETATION) is that they get a good idea, and completely milk the idea cow dry, making you bored and irritated. I mean honestly, can you yourself say that you weren't bored by his father/son abusive relationship ? I realise it would have been traumatic, but I don't think it should have been the excessive factor it became.

In retrospect however, I do agree with you. Hulk is an angry beast, an engine of destruction. No character (that I have seen) looks as good and almost as natural as Hulk does when he's destroying things. But I only think that works if it's someone else's fault - not his. A good story that shows this would have been when (forgive me if the name is wrong) Tyrannus takes control of Hulk, causing him to go round and literally kill people, in a blind rage (or so it seemed).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users