• Please log in to reply
905 replies to this topic

#881 AVP vs The Terminator

AVP vs The Terminator

Will never see the Adult Board

• CBUB Character Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,068 posts
  • Interests:Comics. Movies. Video Games. TV.

Posted 25 April 2013 - 08:27 AM

Ikr

#882 Shockwave

Shockwave

Herr Han Shot first.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts
  • Interests:Video games, movies, writing

Posted 25 April 2013 - 05:55 PM

AVP that crap is old.  You have a computer, don't T9word.  

#883 AVP vs The Terminator

AVP vs The Terminator

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 11,068 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:37 PM

lolno

#884 Shockwave

Shockwave

Herr Han Shot first.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:39 PM

Ok so watching Chobits with my girlfriend and I have to ask, WHY THE HELL IS IT TURNING INTO BLADE RUNNER?!?  Seriously, this show went from annoyingly cute to WTF 

#885 Darxeth

Darxeth

Nuking the site from orbit

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 09:35 PM

Recently had a serious conversation with a close friend/editor of the director of "Akira" (Seriously)
and he said that MANY Japanese companies "borrow" the ideas of rival companies, or even American cinema, especially in the Anime/Manga industry.

For instance, Akira's Anime ending was rushed and so the Director ordered for some of the writers to buy other manga and borrow ideas from them to give the artists (most of whom happened to be very lazy at the time) a general idea of what to draw.

He also explained to me that Anime does not have to be made in Japan to be considered Anime.
In fact, many German companies create their own Anime/Manga and claim that it is Japanese and translated into German, when really, it is completely composed in Germany. They do this for better sales, since a lot of people are under the false impression that Anime isn't anime unless it's from Japan, and refuse to by anything otherwise, which is silly in my opinion.

#886 Shockwave

Shockwave

Herr Han Shot first.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:03 AM

Are we talking about the same topic Darxeth?  Cause Chobits starts off as a slice-of-life comedy then goes dark real fast.  I used Blade Runner as a reference as to how dark it got and how creepy it went off the deep end quickly.

#887 Darxeth

Darxeth

Nuking the site from orbit

• Members
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:24 AM

Not really. I was just making a general statement. Lol

#888 Shockwave

Shockwave

Herr Han Shot first.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:10 PM

Ok so I got to thinking about Naruto here and I just thought of a twist that would make me love this series and explain all of the horsecrap that has happened:

This whole time, the baddies have won.  The whole series was taking place in a Matrix-esque style dream world and are now all realizing it while trying to free themselves and beat Tobi and Mandra.

#889 Ruinus

Ruinus

Plebiscite Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3,154 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Guilty Gear, Guns N' Roses, astronomy, school, English, reading, science fiction, drawing, video games and playing guitar.

Posted 02 May 2013 - 08:29 AM

He also explained to me that Anime does not have to be made in Japan to be considered Anime.
In fact, many German companies create their own Anime/Manga and claim that it is Japanese and translated into German, when really, it is completely composed in Germany. They do this for better sales, since a lot of people are under the false impression that Anime isn't anime unless it's from Japan, and refuse to by anything otherwise, which is silly in my opinion.

I believe it. In fact I hate the name "anime" in the first place, they are just cartoons, yet I remember the gasps I got in my high school anime club when I said "Oh yeah, that cartoon".

#890 Landon

Landon

The Main Character

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:13 AM

In English-speaking countries, "anime" is used to signify animation made in Japan. Simple as that.

Yeah, "anime" is a general term for animation in Japanese, but the definition was narrowed when the word was borrowed into English. That sort of change in definition often happens when words are borrowed into different languages, and it's a perfectly legit thing. So yeah, a dude in Japan saying that something made in Germany is "anime" is correct in Japanese context, but in English the word has a different meaning.

At the same time, fans who get hung up on anime being referred to as animation/cartoons/whatever are also wrong. Anime IS a subset of animation. It's just Japanese cartoons. Insisting that people ONLY refer to it as anime and denying its roots is pretty damn stupid.

#891 God-Speed_88

God-Speed_88

The Humanoid Typhoon

• Members
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:42 AM

Recently finished Daily Lives of High School Boys and Is That a Zombie? - both very enjoyable in their own rights. I am currently watching Samurai Champloo which seems pretty cool. 

#892 Landon

Landon

The Main Character

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:01 AM

Daily Lives was pretty funny. One of the better anime comedies from the past year or so. The last scene in the last episode makes everything come together perfectly.

Kore wa Zombie... not so much. Barf.

Samurai Champloo is required viewing.

#893 Shockwave

Shockwave

Herr Han Shot first.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:00 PM

I missed a lot of Champloo and came back to it when it was near the end where Gin and Mugen were getting their asses kicked. 

#894 Shockwave

Shockwave

Herr Han Shot first.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 10:06 PM

Man I hope this gets dubbed soon.  Goku's Japanese voice annoys the hell out of me and I don't know why:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5K3G4DK2Ks

#895 God-Speed_88

God-Speed_88

The Humanoid Typhoon

• Members
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 12:18 PM

I today became part of the forty people luckily enough to go to a special night with Shinichiro Watanabe in Edinburgh. Where he will choose two of his favourite Cowboy Bebop episodes to be shown, have a Q&A session and then a signing with special edition prints being handed out. The best part was it only cost 6 pounds for a ticket :o. The geek inside of me has turned into a Mind Game character freak out ><

#896 Shockwave

Shockwave

Herr Han Shot first.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,623 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:07 PM

In celebration of One Piece's 10th anniversary, many different artist have drawn multiple characters of One Piece.  http://sadpanda.us/i...873-66N8IG7.jpg 

http://thefunnyplane...ctures/7288.jpg

#897 God-Speed_88

God-Speed_88

The Humanoid Typhoon

• Members
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:52 PM

I loved Samurai Champloo and I might get stick for this, but even more so than Bebop. What an amazing anime. I wonder what I will watch next. 

#898 God-Speed_88

God-Speed_88

The Humanoid Typhoon

• Members
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:08 PM

So I watched Gunbuster, which I thought was pretty amazing for such a short anime. It heavily reminded me of Evangelion, which is one of my favourites. I then watched only half of Diebuster - pretty average, it didn't grab me the same way and I'll probably come back to it at a later date.

On the note of Evangelion, I finally found a Blu-Ray rip of 3.33 and I can't wait to watch it sometime this weekend.

Next anime, Black Lagoon. 

#899 AVP vs The Terminator

AVP vs The Terminator

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 11,068 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:44 PM

No idea if I mentioned this on here before, but Black Lagoon is good fun.

#900 Peypeypeypey

Peypeypeypey

The truthiness will set you free

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 02 June 2013 - 03:01 PM

So, I don't know if it's technically an anime, but it's certainly anime-inspired, so I'll just post it here.

What do y'all think of RWBY? The last of the four trailers came out, and I have a few problems with it, but overall I'm pretty excited. Looks like it could be cool? 

For those who don't know, RWBY is an original animated series made by Rooster Teeth (And for those of you who don't know them, you should. Watch Red vs. Blue on Youtube or Roosterteeth's website), and animated primarily by Monty Oum, the guy who made that Haloid video where Samus fought Master Chief. 

I think it looks pretty good, and can't wait to see it. Thoughts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users