78 replies to this topic

#61 Fenris Wolf

Fenris Wolf

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:26 PM

Holy cryfest Batman. Chin up and nose in a Kleenex please. Someone has to make the 'tough' decisions around here and I'm willing to bet none of you crybabies want to put the man hours in that these boys do sifting through millions of ridiculous character proposals that some of you no doubt submit. Show a little respect for their discretion. Nobody wants characters like "That Guy Who Shot Bambi's Mother" or "The Third Zombie From The Left In The Twentieth Scene Of The Extended DvD Version Of Resident Evil 2". Without someone drawing the line on what is and isn't an acceptable submission, these will be the stupid characters cluttering the database.

That ambiguous line that has to be drawn somewhere, and sometimes, perhaps often (depending on the level of discretion that you yourself use) that line may be drawn through one of your submissions. That's life. If we didn't have the admin filter system things would get retarded. Try appreciating someone for the voluntary work they put in so that you can have this website to play around with instead of attacking them for doing their jobs. And whoever threw in that smartass little "Serge" threat, you're an idiot.

#62 Cosmic Deadpool

Cosmic Deadpool

Don't feed him after midnight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:54 PM

Hmm,
I gotta tell ya guys.. When I first started reading this thread from the beginning I was all ready to go , respectfully, fire and brimstone like I normally do when it appears as though the establishment are turning a blind eye to the desires of the masses. But..as I continued reading from post to post and coming to my own conclusion, and trust me, I know I'm probably gonna get torched for this, I became inspired by what trech opined.. In that, it seems the notion of evaluating, to the best of any human beings ability, as to the frequency of actual use of a Pop Culture char is a decent way of determing their acceptance.. On the other hand, in the case of multiple rquests by the users for any one character might warrant a poll that might weigh heavily, but not ultimately in helping to make that decision. My point.. While the pro-Gwar posters have, en masse, shared some very compelling arguements for having GWAR in the db it hasn't been a majority opinion..yet. That in and of itself, speaks a lot about how much GWAR would really be used in battles. The old CBUB may have let a slew of unpopular chars for whatever reason slip through. But do we really want that trend to continue.. Some of us may have felt strongly or even imagined wonderfully colorful and creative ways to use GWAR..but in the grand scheme of the number of users who post matches now..how many else feel the same...? Just saying.. The admins here are awesome and the best at what they do...we all know that.. But..this time..I'm thinking there call..until a majority of users disagree..is pretty much dead on..

#63 darthsketch

darthsketch

Released the Kraken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • Interests:Movies, books, anime, comics, video games, music and pop culture.

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:56 PM

Holy cryfest Batman. Chin up and nose in a Kleenex please. Someone has to make the 'tough' decisions around here and I'm willing to bet none of you crybabies want to put the man hours in that these boys do sifting through millions of ridiculous character proposals that some of you no doubt submit. Show a little respect for their discretion. Nobody wants characters like "That Guy Who Shot Bambi's Mother" or "The Third Zombie From The Left In The Twentieth Scene Of The Extended DvD Version Of Resident Evil 2". Without someone drawing the line on what is and isn't an acceptable submission, these will be the stupid characters cluttering the database.

That ambiguous line that has to be drawn somewhere, and sometimes, perhaps often (depending on the level of discretion that you yourself use) that line may be drawn through one of your submissions. That's life. If we didn't have the admin filter system things would get retarded. Try appreciating someone for the voluntary work they put in so that you can have this website to play around with instead of attacking them for doing their jobs. And whoever threw in that smartass little "Serge" threat, you're an idiot.

1) Every one is being VERY respectful of the admins. We're all VERY well aware they perform a (for the most part) thankless, tedious task.

2) You've completely misinterpreted the problem here. This isn't a case of someone trying to get some fanfic character in or a nameless extra in a director's cut...this is a case of legends (Andre the Giant), platinum-selling-comic book and videogame cult icons (GWAR) and peoples who have shaped history as we know it (the Mongols) being snubbed for highly questionable (some of them silly) reasons.

I'm not saying I could do a better job nor would I even be willing to try...but I think the admins would be wise to use more liberal discretion in accepting certain additions to the DB. There's no reason for any of the previously named submissions to fall through the cracks. The length of this thread should be sufficient evidence enough to see this is worth debating. If it wasn't, I would have made a snarky comment a LONG while back to tell whoever started this to shut up and quit whining. Hell, I don't even have a stake in this, and I'm VERY concerned/annoyed about this issue.

#64 darthsketch

darthsketch

Released the Kraken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • Interests:Movies, books, anime, comics, video games, music and pop culture.

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:02 PM

Hmm,
I gotta tell ya guys.. When I first started reading this thread from the beginning I was all ready to go , respectfully, fire and brimstone like I normally do when it appears as though the establishment are turning a blind eye to the desires of the masses. But..as I continued reading from post to post and coming to my own conclusion, and trust me, I know I'm probably gonna get torched for this, I became inspired by what trech opined.. In that, it seems the notion of evaluating, to the best of any human beings ability, as to the frequency of actual use of a Pop Culture char is a decent way of determing their acceptance.. On the other hand, in the case of multiple rquests by the users for any one character might warrant a poll that might weigh heavily, but not ultimately in helping to make that decision. My point.. While the pro-Gwar posters have, en masse, shared some very compelling arguements for having GWAR in the db it hasn't been a majority opinion..yet. That in and of itself, speaks a lot about how much GWAR would really be used in battles. The old CBUB may have let a slew of unpopular chars for whatever reason slip through. But do we really want that trend to continue.. Some of us may have felt strongly or even imagined wonderfully colorful and creative ways to use GWAR..but in the grand scheme of the number of users who post matches now..how many else feel the same...? Just saying.. The admins here are awesome and the best at what they do...we all know that.. But..this time..I'm thinking there call..until a majority of users disagree..is pretty much dead on..

Once again...I understand where you're coming from and I've heard/replied to this argument already to be honest...

If we allowed popularity to be a major deciding factor in the admission process, then all we would have in the DB would be DC and Marvel's roster backed up by a handful of anime characters. CBUB wouldn't be nearly as fun. :)

More importantly...it defeats a major purpose of the site i.e. introducing people to new characters and fandoms. If it wasn't CBUB, I wouldn't know half the stuff I know now about all the different fandoms out there. A LOT of things I've started reading or have watched lately is directly because someone posted a match on CBUB with a character I had never heard of. :lol:

#65 Cosmic Deadpool

Cosmic Deadpool

Don't feed him after midnight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:13 PM

Once again...I understand where you're coming from and I've heard/replied to this argument already to be honest...

If we allowed popularity to be a major deciding factor in the admission process, then all we would have in the DB would be DC and Marvel's roster backed up by a handful of anime characters. CBUB wouldn't be nearly as fun. :lol:

More importantly...it defeats a major purpose of the site i.e. introducing people to new characters and fandoms. If it wasn't CBUB, I wouldn't know half the stuff I know now about all the different fandoms out there. A LOT of things I've started reading or have watched lately is directly because someone posted a match on CBUB with a character I had never heard of. :)

Another excellent pro-admission arguement point sketch.. I still agree with the admins on this one, though.. *OOC* I do so hate it when I make an excellent point and you go and make an equally excellent counter-point, sheesh... Until we meet again on the verbal battlefield... I salute you..

#66 boston_celtics

boston_celtics

Released the Kraken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Interests:If I had any, why would I be on this site?

Posted 17 June 2009 - 04:00 AM

The point is, the criteria (as defined by the FAQ) are met, if only in the most general of standards. Therefore, said character should be accepted.

The problem stems because moderators do not consider a character acceptable because it does not meet THEIR standards for it.

#67 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 17 June 2009 - 06:57 AM

Here, here Fenris.
This whole debate is repetitive and stupid. Read serge's notes on what gets accepted and what doesn't. It's as simple as that. "No wrestlers" = Andre the frikkin Giant. No real people = frikkin GWAR. It doesn't matter what was previously accepted, it doesn't matter what slipped through the cracks. All that matters is serge's notes on the subject. IT'S HIS FRIKKIN SITE!! HIS FRIKKIN RULES!! HE CREATED THIS SITE FROM SCRATCH!! RESPECT HIS AUTHORITY!! RESPECT THE AUTHORITY OF THE ADMINS THAT WERE CHOSEN TO RUN THIS SITE BEFORE MOST OF YOU WERE ABLE TO WALK!! Landon is basically the right hand man to serge. His rules, his ball game. Not yours. You don't like it, go to comic frikkin vine and have a ball!

-This statement is the opinion of treacherous. In no way does it reflect the opinions of anyone running this website. :lol:

#68 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 08:06 AM

Here, here Fenris.
This whole debate is repetitive and stupid. Read serge's notes on what gets accepted and what doesn't. It's as simple as that. "No wrestlers" = Andre the frikkin Giant. No real people = frikkin GWAR. It doesn't matter what was previously accepted, it doesn't matter what slipped through the cracks. All that matters is serge's notes on the subject. IT'S HIS FRIKKIN SITE!! HIS FRIKKIN RULES!! HE CREATED THIS SITE FROM SCRATCH!! RESPECT HIS AUTHORITY!! RESPECT THE AUTHORITY OF THE ADMINS THAT WERE CHOSEN TO RUN THIS SITE BEFORE MOST OF YOU WERE ABLE TO WALK!! Landon is basically the right hand man to serge. His rules, his ball game. Not yours. You don't like it, go to comic frikkin vine and have a ball!

-This statement is the opinion of treacherous. In no way does it reflect the opinions of anyone running this website. :lol:

It's funny because someone threatened to call serge in on Landon. But if you people want some GOOD evidence as to why they should be accepted, go to the old CBUB and look at GWAR's record. If they have a few fights, then no. Keep them out. But if they were an overly popular character, then make your case.

#69 Ghost Tiger

Ghost Tiger

Released the Kraken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Interests:Comics<br />Sports<br />Fitness<br />History<br />Writing<br />Literature<br />Music

Posted 17 June 2009 - 01:31 PM

We are giving all due respect but it seems that what is being done clearly contradicts itself.

#70 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 17 June 2009 - 01:38 PM

We are giving all due respect but it seems that what is being done clearly contradicts itself.

Please re-read my previous statement.

#71 Ghost Tiger

Ghost Tiger

Released the Kraken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Interests:Comics<br />Sports<br />Fitness<br />History<br />Writing<br />Literature<br />Music

Posted 17 June 2009 - 01:54 PM

First of all I really don't care, I merely come to this site to debate because I am bored, you seem to mistake me presenting an argument with me actually caring about your Database. If it doesn't have a pop culture icon like Andre The Giant it doesn't really effect my life. I was merely arguing the fact that Andre the Giant is a HUGE character in pop culture.

Also I merely stated that the mods actions and the rules both have contradicted themselves plenty of times. It was in response to you quoting the rules, which themselves are vague and contradictory.

#72 Mullon

Mullon

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 02:03 PM

If we allowed popularity to be a major deciding factor in the admission process, then all we would have in the DB would be DC and Marvel's roster backed up by a handful of anime characters. CBUB wouldn't be nearly as fun. :lol:

You mean it isn't?

#73 videogameman

videogameman

Part of the Rag-Tag Fugitive Fleet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Interests:Video games, literature, Anime/Manga, Western animation ie. Cartoons, and your momma!

Posted 17 June 2009 - 02:10 PM

Here, here Fenris.
This whole debate is repetitive and stupid. Read serge's notes on what gets accepted and what doesn't. It's as simple as that. "No wrestlers" = Andre the frikkin Giant. No real people = frikkin GWAR.

Hulk Hogan. Mr.T. Chuck Norris. KISS. Bruce Lee. All have been used recently and/or frequently.

#74 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 02:39 PM

First of all I really don't care, I merely come to this site to debate because I am bored, you seem to mistake me presenting an argument with me actually caring about your Database. If it doesn't have a pop culture icon like Andre The Giant it doesn't really effect my life. I was merely arguing the fact that Andre the Giant is a HUGE character in pop culture.

SilverSurfer092 approves of this post.

At the same time, there are far better ways to spend your time when you are bored. I know nothing about Andre the Giant other then he is a giant and a wrestler. Apparently. GWAR I only know of because my cousin listens to them. The point being, they really aren't that huge. Maybe among you a few guys on this site they are. But I think, in the grand scheme of the CBUB, they aren't widely known.

#75 Ghost Tiger

Ghost Tiger

Released the Kraken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 04:46 PM

Haha it's kool...

#76 chaos-with-honor

chaos-with-honor

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Interests:I am a martial arts instructor, a minister, a peer counselor, and a father of four.<br /><br />7th Dan Black Belt - Bushi-Kai Jukendo-Ryu Karate<br />5th Dan Black Belt - American Kenpo Karate<br />1st Dan Black Belt - Aikido Jiujitsu<br />Instructor's Credits - Five Elements Five Animals Kung Fu<br />Instructor's Credits - Muay Thai Kick Boxing<br />Brown Belt - Judo<br />Brown Belt - Matsukazi-Ryu Jiujitsu<br />Brown Belt - Small Circle Jiujitsu<br />3rd Level practitioner of Dim Mak<br /><br />Amature Wrestler<br />Amature Boxer<br />Amature Kickboxer<br />Amature MMA Fighter

Posted 17 June 2009 - 05:03 PM

Here, here Fenris.

Wow. I didn't realize my simple protest would bring such an emotional response from someone who doesn't even have a stake in the outcome. However, since there is such a direct notation against the premise of the thread, I would like, respectfully, to answer some of your claims.

First, I agree that the debate is stupid and repetitive, though for the opposite reason you do.

Secondly, I did read serge's notes on what gets accepted and what doesn't. Unfortunately, it has not been as simple as that, otherwise this would have never been posted to begin with. Since you seem to have missed it the first time I posted this, I'll reiterate.

KISS is a rock band (you know, the four guys in the white and black face makeup) BUT they also have both a comic book series and a movie based on them having powers in their stage get-up. Therefore KISS is acceptable.

GWAR is a rock band. AND they have three movies based on them being the characters they portray on-stage, as well as having had a comic series. Also, two video games have featured them heavily, they have had appearances, in costume, in character and out of character, on various television shows.

Thus, the criteria set forth by Serge has been met and exceeded. Therefore, the character should be accepted. This would be the logic I've been using since the beginning, and the very logic you used, so we should be in agreement on the issue.

I have no stake in Andre the Giant, so I have nothing to say on the issue.

As for real people......

I submitted GWAR. Not Dave Brockie, Cory Smoot, Mike Derks, Casey Orr, and Brad Roberts.
If you believe Oderus Urungus, Beefcake the mighty, Jizzmak da Gusha, Balsak the Jaws of Death, and Flattus Maximus are real people, then you have problems far beyond the scope of this thread. Unless you are going to argue that because there are people in the costumes that that makes them real people... If that's the case, I suggest you not go to the movies or Freddy might get you.

I just checked every DB on the old site and GWAR was not in any of them, so there is no precident for them.

And as for your ending diatribe:

All that matters is serge's notes on the subject. IT'S HIS FRIKKIN SITE!! HIS FRIKKIN RULES!! HE CREATED THIS SITE FROM SCRATCH!! RESPECT HIS AUTHORITY!! RESPECT THE AUTHORITY OF THE ADMINS THAT WERE CHOSEN TO RUN THIS SITE BEFORE MOST OF YOU WERE ABLE TO WALK!! Landon is basically the right hand man to serge. His rules, his ball game. Not yours.

If the rules set forth were followed, I would not be making this statement. I have been nothing but respectful to this site, the admins and even to yourself, though you seem not to care. I am a 30 year old man. I have a wife, kids, a job, a life that is worthy and meaningful. I come to this site because it is something that I enjoy. I've been around here in one form or another for seven years, and I was walking long before I was 23. I don't really care who is in charge, I simply would like to see the rules followed that are set forth so that I may continue to share my thoughts. If I were given the responsibility to cull the weak from the character entries, I would happily do so. That has not come to pass, therefore I am constrained to make my matches, hope others enjoy them, and continue my enjoyment of the site.

However, if I'm to be given the responsibilty of adding new characters to the DB, and we all have, I would like to have valid reasons for a denial. "'Cuz I said" hasn't been a valid reason since I was three, and I've yet to see a valid point raised that wasn't quickly put down. It's very much akin to working a 40 hour work week and being told you won't be paid "Just 'cuz".

Furthermore, if this isn't my ballgame, why am I playing? Why are you? I agree that this is serge's brainchild and a great one at that, but without the "masses" driving it, what would it be? This site is administrated by some very talented and very intelligent people. It is populated by far more, and not because of the administrators or the creator, but because it is a place to freely share their ideas and which contains media that calls to part of their minds. I respect the people behind the names and titles, but their "authority" is as imaginary as the comic book characters we use on a daily basis here. Honestly, being baned from a web site will not end my life, and if any of the admins tried that, they would find that they had made a poor choice. Therefore I will question any decision I see as questionable, because in the end, if my contributions are as worthwile as I think they are, and my accepted character admissions would seem to bear that out, then this is as much my site as it is theirs.

#77 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 05:33 PM

Honestly, being baned from a web site will not end my life, and if any of the admins tried that, they would find that they had made a poor choice. Therefore I will question any decision I see as questionable, because in the end, if my contributions are as worthwile as I think they are, and my accepted character admissions would seem to bear that out, then this is as much my site as it is theirs.

Well, could you get any more cocky? This is serge's site. He's the one that has put hours upon hours into this to create it. It's the admins' site. They put hours and hours into keeping it running. This is not ours. We put hours and hours to get enjoyment. We do nothing more. We can't take someone's work, use it for it's purpose, and say we contributed when we, in fact, did not. And just assume your contributions are worthless. I think these admins like humble people a lot more than arrogant ones.

#78 Landon

Landon

The Main Character

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 05:58 PM

What I find odd is that, to my knowledge, no one has tried to resubmit the characters discussed in this thread to see if they'd actually get accepted.

Unless character submission is down and I don't know it, but as far as I can tell it is up.

For the record, after hearing what everyone's said:

Mongols should be fine so long as whomever submits them uses a picture from one of the recent Ghengis Khan/Mongol movies and uses an appropriate link based on that picture. They make as much sense as Pirates, Ninjas, and other generic types.

Iffy on GWAR. They have non-band stuff, but they're also pretty obscure. KISS is the "standard" for bands getting into the CBUB as far as I can tell, since they were the example given. GWAR's done much of what KISS has done in terms of merchandising and whatnot, but GWAR is nowhere near as popular and hasn't had anywhere near as much of an impact on pop culture. So, do they have "pop culture significance?" Beats me. I lean towards no, but whatever. I'll let another admin decide if someone chooses to resubmit.

Still saying no to Andre the Giant, because I don't want his acceptance to lead to OTHER wrestlers getting into the database. Who would be next? Macho Man Randy Savage because he did Slim Jim commercials? Roddy Pipper because he was in They Live? It's a bit of a slippery slope. Best to keep it at Sgt. Slaughter (who was in GI Joe) and Hulk Hogan (who has been in several movies and a reality TV series). That's the line I'm drawing when it comes to famous wrestlers that may or may not have "pop culture significance." Again, if another admin feels otherwise, they're free to decide. If someone submits Andre, I'll likely let him sit for a couple of days to see if anyone else is willing to accept him. If I still see him there after that, I'll deny him for the reasons stated above.

The characters from Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Dynasty Warriros should be submitted as either Fantasy or Pop Culture characters, since the original source material is a novel. The games are just different tellings of that novel. May as well give the original story the credit instead of a game. That way the characters can be used for both Dynasty Warriors-ish "OMGcrazymeleefight" matches and Romance of the Three Kingdoms "big tactical battle" matches.

That's my final word on these particular characters.

#79 Landon

Landon

The Main Character

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 05:59 PM

Also, locking this thread because its getting WAY too heated for such an insignificant issue. That goes for BOTH sides of the issue, not just the people arguing in favor of the characters in question. If anyone has any other acceptance issues, please start another thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users