• This topic is locked This topic is locked
78 replies to this topic

#41 Skirmisher

Skirmisher

Field Marshal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,026 posts
  • Interests:The Halo Universe, Warhammer Fantasy and 40K, Deconstructing the Hype of Star Wars, Still Like Star Wars though...

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:20 PM

No, no, no. A troll CAUSES the commotion. I just sit by and watch. I'm not a troll. I'm a bystander that gets amusement out of the "yammering of the masses", if you will. I also like how you pick out the part that this thread humors me, and not the part that I support GWAR being accepted.

I'll just remember not to support you next time you have a petition. Thanks for telling me to shut the hell up and my support is unneeded. I'll remember that.

a troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum or chat room, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

Although our topic is of a controversial nature, and at times Inflammatory, we are not trying to elicit an emotional response, nor to disrupt the normal on-topic discussions...

Your posts however fit that statement, and that makes you a troll.

#42 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:25 PM

Although our topic is of a controversial nature, and at times Inflammatory, we are not trying to ellcit an emotional responce, nor to disrupt the normal on-topic discussions...

You are however, and that makes you a troll.

How am I trying to bring out an emotional response? I said I was laughing. I don't expect an emotional response from that at all. If I get one, someone is either:
1. Way too close to the subject.
2. Way too insecure in something.

#43 Skirmisher

Skirmisher

Field Marshal

• Members
  • 5,026 posts
  • Interests:The Halo Universe, Warhammer Fantasy and 40K, Deconstructing the Hype of Star Wars, Still Like Star Wars though...

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:31 PM

How am I trying to bring out an emotional response? I said I was laughing. I don't expect an emotional response from that at all. If I get one, someone is either:
1. Way too close to the subject.
2. Way too insecure in something.

Your first post here was basically you laughing at all of us.

All I do is read this and laugh at Diskyr.

And the vast majority of CBUB users.

Generally if someone were to walk up to you in the street and laugh at you, you would find that offencive would you not?

Fairly off topic and inflamatory, this would fit perfectly into what is Troll.

#44 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:32 PM

Your first post here was basically you laughing at all of us.

Generally if someone were to walk up to you in the street and laugh at you, you would find that offencive would you not?

No, I'm kind of numb to it, really. Also, the internet is a lot different from the street.

I was not laughing at Landon or Chakos. At all.

#45 Landon

Landon

The Main Character

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:33 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Jian
http://kongming.net/...kma/sunjian.php
http://en.wikipedia...._Three_Kingdoms

These are examples of links you used for the Romance of the Three Kingdoms/Dynasty Warriors characters you submitted. All of these links talk about the character in relation to the original novel and not in relation to the Dynasty Warriors game. So, claiming that the character was meant to represent his Dynasty Warriors version doesn't really make sense.

#46 Culwych

Culwych

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:33 PM

The "However X 2" is sarcasm. You should get used to it if you wish to use these boards. When these here admins stop being so nice and go back to the way they were on the other forum, you might hate them. I just get amusement because I've seen how the admins used to act. I'm not saying I know them and what they would do, but I know what they would have done. Based on how they acted on the last forum, this is nothing more than a laugh fest for me.

I don't get it Silversurfer:

"I just get amusement because I've seen how the admins used to act. I'm not saying I know them and what they would do, but I know what they would have done. Based on how they acted on the last forum, this is nothing more than a laugh fest for me."

VS

"All I do is read this and laugh at Diskyr. And the vast majority of CBUB users."

I am probably wrong but it sounds like you are playing both sides.

Are you against CBUB users who complain or against Admins who ignore CBUB users whatever they say, or simply against both and enjoying the conflict between the two?

Actually, kind of cool if it's the last one....

Whatever the reason or the rhyme (as people say), as I said, am not looking for a fight and guess I will have to "get used to the sarcasm" on here. Just seems a pity really, as I'd rather write a good (or at least passable) story and see what the comments/votes are like.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand..... I believe the original post was for GWAR, have heard of them though I reckon not necessarily as popular as KISS (though not sure that's a reason to stop them going through), and also I think Genghis Khan and his warriors were mentioned.... like the mythological gods, I see no reason for them to be stopped (unless bad quality picture) as they provide great potential for fights.

#47 chakos

chakos

The Avatar of Himself

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:35 PM

The "However X 2" is sarcasm. You should get used to it if you wish to use these boards. When these here admins stop being so nice and go back to the way they were on the other forum, you might hate them. I just get amusement because I've seen how the admins used to act. I'm not saying I know them and what they would do, but I know what they would have done. Based on how they acted on the last forum, this is nothing more than a laugh fest for me.

heh. I was waiting for more old board members to get active on this board. We're currently being on our bestest behavior because this is a beta, and its the first time forum registration has been allowed in a long time, so we'd like to attract some new members to the board. Our normal cynical rabid diseased selves just won't cut it (yet).

However Surfer, rest assured that things will get back to normal in a few months after the site is out of beta and well established. We're currently picking out moderators that we trust/like to deal with day to day thread policing, complaints, moderation, moving topics, answering questions, etc etc. Once thats all set up we can go back to our crazy hermit shack out back (re: the FPL) and show up occasionally to wield mighty Ban Hammers™ and the like.

That being said, M. Bison (aka Hamboy) will be our first CBUB Forum (and subforum) moderator. For the moment, this includes the Battle Board as well, so cut the kid some slack, will ya? He's got a big job. Be on your best behavior!

and with that being said, don't ask to be a mod, please. You've got to let it happen organically, like art or mold.

#48 Skirmisher

Skirmisher

Field Marshal

• Members
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:40 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_Jian
http://kongming.net/...kma/sunjian.php
http://en.wikipedia...._Three_Kingdoms

These are examples of links you used for the Romance of the Three Kingdoms/Dynasty Warriors characters you submitted. All of these links talk about the character in relation to the original novel and not in relation to the Dynasty Warriors game. So, claiming that the character was meant to represent his Dynasty Warriors version doesn't really make sense.

The first one was the Wiki that was required, and if you notice there is a section stating that that is also a character from Dynasty Warriors, as well as the games Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

The Second link is from Kongming, a very good site for RoTK, and Dynasty Warrior material, having mostly to do with the Games and Detailing where Koei got the inspiration for these Characters. As well, most of this information can be found in the games themselves.

The Third one... well, yes that was a copout. But that one link shouldn't be the reason to get the submission removed, right?

#49 Diskyr

Diskyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Interests:Anything that suits me

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:43 PM

Homophobic and racist comments are MASSIVELY NOT ALLOWED. Really not cool. You need the weekend to cool down. You may read but not post until next week. Your CBUB account will remain active, but do not try to open another account or anything like that or there will be bigger problems.

I reiterate: MASSIVELY NOT ALLOWED.

#50 Skirmisher

Skirmisher

Field Marshal

• Members
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:00 PM

Homophobic and racist comments are MASSIVELY NOT ALLOWED. Really not cool. You need the weekend to cool down. You may read but not post until next week. Your CBUB account will remain active, but do not try to open another account or anything like that or there will be bigger problems.

I reiterate: MASSIVELY NOT ALLOWED.

Harsh, but fair. I saw what was there before... (Edit: Wait... it's tuesday, that's a 5-6 day suspension!)

But in Diskyr's defence he was being trolled at, he just made the mistake of bitting the lure.

#51 chaos-with-honor

chaos-with-honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Interests:I am a martial arts instructor, a minister, a peer counselor, and a father of four.<br /><br />7th Dan Black Belt - Bushi-Kai Jukendo-Ryu Karate<br />5th Dan Black Belt - American Kenpo Karate<br />1st Dan Black Belt - Aikido Jiujitsu<br />Instructor's Credits - Five Elements Five Animals Kung Fu<br />Instructor's Credits - Muay Thai Kick Boxing<br />Brown Belt - Judo<br />Brown Belt - Matsukazi-Ryu Jiujitsu<br />Brown Belt - Small Circle Jiujitsu<br />3rd Level practitioner of Dim Mak<br /><br />Amature Wrestler<br />Amature Boxer<br />Amature Kickboxer<br />Amature MMA Fighter

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:10 PM

Heck, *I* could make a comic, movie, and game about myself pretty easily these days. Doesn't make me pop culture.

The question is, would anyone care in 25 years?

The focus of this is shifting, just a bit. I'm not claiming that GWAR is bigger than KISS. What I'm saying is that Pop Culture is broader in spectrum than how it is being portrayed. GWAR has been making albums for twenty-five years. That means someone is paying for them to do so. That would make them popular, as anyone could make a single last a few months. Years on the other hand requires a following. Cult though they may be, cult folowings are pop culture. In fact, I would argue that they are what define pop culture.

Yes, you could make a videogame about yourself. Could you get MTV to underwrite it and send it world wide? Oh, wait, TWICE. In 1995, Gwar's "Saddam A Go-Go" was featured on the hit video game Beavis and Butt-Head in Virtual Stupidity, this was a music video accessed in Beavis and Butt-Head's House. Attending a Gwar concert was the main goal that drove the action in the Beavis and Butthead video game for the Super Nintendo (SNES), Sega Game Gear, Sega Mega Drive, and Game Boy.

If so, I'd say you need to get off the CBUB and make that money, you're wasting valuable talent.

So you could make a movie about yourself pretty easily. Does that mean you could get nominated for a Grammy over it?

The album was accompanied by the movie Phallus in Wonderland, which documented the main concept and contained music videos for the album. This movie would be nominated for a Grammy Award in 1993.

Once again, if you could, talents are a-wasting.

So you could make a comic about yourself. Would people still be buying it three years after it's publication? If so... but I'm beginning to sound like a broken record.

The point is, anyone who maintains popularity for 25 years is worthy of inclusion into the PC DB.

#52 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:30 PM

heh. I was waiting for more old board members to get active on this board. We're currently being on our bestest behavior because this is a beta, and its the first time forum registration has been allowed in a long time, so we'd like to attract some new members to the board. Our normal cynical rabid diseased selves just won't cut it (yet).

However Surfer, rest assured that things will get back to normal in a few months after the site is out of beta and well established. We're currently picking out moderators that we trust/like to deal with day to day thread policing, complaints, moderation, moving topics, answering questions, etc etc. Once thats all set up we can go back to our crazy hermit shack out back (re: the FPL) and show up occasionally to wield mighty Ban Hammers™ and the like.

That being said, M. Bison (aka Hamboy) will be our first CBUB Forum (and subforum) moderator. For the moment, this includes the Battle Board as well, so cut the kid some slack, will ya? He's got a big job. Be on your best behavior!

and with that being said, don't ask to be a mod, please. You've got to let it happen organically, like art or mold.

WIN. I realize that the "don't ask to be a mod" probably wasn't directed at me, but I really don't care if I'm not. I can barely handle the responsibility of being a captain of my XC team and coach of little distance runners.

Go Hamboy. British asshole.

#53 chakos

chakos

The Avatar of Himself

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:30 PM

Harsh, but fair. I saw what was there before... (Edit: Wait... it's tuesday, that's a 5-6 day suspension!)

But in Diskyr's defence he was being trolled at, he just made the mistake of bitting the lure.

True, I just thought the idea of giving him the weekend to cool down was good. Unfortunately for him it isn't Friday.

#54 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:32 PM

In all seriousness, the only reason I would ban GWAR, other than above mentioned (they really aren't well heard of), is they vulgarity of their shows. I saw one CD and one of the songs was "Iranian (Male Function involving Rosy Palmer)". I'm not a fan of censorship, but serge does want to keep this some what of a family site. I don't think a link to something like that is exactly family friendly.

#55 chaos-with-honor

chaos-with-honor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Interests:I am a martial arts instructor, a minister, a peer counselor, and a father of four.<br /><br />7th Dan Black Belt - Bushi-Kai Jukendo-Ryu Karate<br />5th Dan Black Belt - American Kenpo Karate<br />1st Dan Black Belt - Aikido Jiujitsu<br />Instructor's Credits - Five Elements Five Animals Kung Fu<br />Instructor's Credits - Muay Thai Kick Boxing<br />Brown Belt - Judo<br />Brown Belt - Matsukazi-Ryu Jiujitsu<br />Brown Belt - Small Circle Jiujitsu<br />3rd Level practitioner of Dim Mak<br /><br />Amature Wrestler<br />Amature Boxer<br />Amature Kickboxer<br />Amature MMA Fighter

Posted 16 June 2009 - 07:12 PM

Neither are half of the characters in the Horror DB. Invalid reasoning.

#56 Sir Exal

Sir Exal

Still Here, somehow.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Interests:Promising myself I'll change and then never doing it.

Posted 16 June 2009 - 08:02 PM

Y'know, I'd accept characters from DW as Koei. Landon would not. So you can either submit them as Koei and hope I review them, or just make it so any admin would review it.

#57 Ghost Tiger

Ghost Tiger

Released the Kraken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Interests:Comics<br />Sports<br />Fitness<br />History<br />Writing<br />Literature<br />Music

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:15 PM

I don't know that it should be a judgement call. If a submission meets the criteria (not your opinion) then it should be alllowed. I know the majority of people I know know who GWAR is and as he has explained they have exceeded what was shown to be needed to be considered Pop Culture. They have been in many facets of pop culture, not just one.

That said thats not what I really care about....what I care about, though no one has brought it up since the first page is that Andre The Giant didn't make it? Really I don't know how he wouldn't make it. Anyone worth their salt knows who Andre the giant is, NOT TO MENTION THE FACT HE WAS IN THE CLASSIC FILM "THE PRINCESS BRIDE". Andre the Giant is a pop culture legend.

This all said no disresect meant to the Mods or Admin but yea maybe it's a good thing to be a littl emore in tune with what the community likes or wants, it'll only make CBUB a better site.

#58 Landon

Landon

The Main Character

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:23 PM

Andre the Giant was a wrestler. He was also in one movie. That doesn't make him a pop culture icon or whatever. That makes him a wrestler that was in one movie. Since we don't accept real-life pro wrestlers (with the exception of Hulk Hogan, who has become more than "a wrestler that did some other stuff") Andre isn't getting in.

I like the guy, but he doesn't meet the standards as given.

#59 Skirmisher

Skirmisher

Field Marshal

• Members
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:30 PM

I don't know that it should be a judgement call. If a submission meets the criteria (not your opinion) then it should be alllowed. I know the majority of people I know know who GWAR is and as he has explained they have exceeded what was shown to be needed to be considered Pop Culture. They have been in many facets of pop culture, not just one.

That said thats not what I really care about....what I care about, though no one has brought it up since the first page is that Andre The Giant didn't make it? Really I don't know how he wouldn't make it. Anyone worth their salt knows who Andre the giant is, NOT TO MENTION THE FACT HE WAS IN THE CLASSIC FILM "THE PRINCESS BRIDE". Andre the Giant is a pop culture legend.

This all said no disresect meant to the Mods or Admin but yea maybe it's a good thing to be a littl emore in tune with what the community likes or wants, it'll only make CBUB a better site.

Well, as far as I know he isn't in anything As Himself, other than wrestling. I would guess that the Admins would allow Andre, as “the Giant from Princess Bride” (Whatever his name was), but not as himself, since one of the criteria for admission to the Database is that the person being submitted isn't a wrestler.

Hulk Hogan got in because he has his own TV show, where he is Hulk Hogan the Wrestler, but not in Wrestling... did I get that right?

#60 darthsketch

darthsketch

Released the Kraken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • Interests:Movies, books, anime, comics, video games, music and pop culture.

Posted 16 June 2009 - 10:21 PM

Andre the Giant was a wrestler. He was also in one movie. That doesn't make him a pop culture icon or whatever. That makes him a wrestler that was in one movie. Since we don't accept real-life pro wrestlers (with the exception of Hulk Hogan, who has become more than "a wrestler that did some other stuff") Andre isn't getting in.

I like the guy, but he doesn't meet the standards as given.

Uhhh...ever seen one of those classic "OBEY" stickers that skaters, punks, hooligans, graffiti artists, etc. post ALL OVER THE WORLD and that have been re-worked a million times over into all sorts of art, products, memorabilia ad infinitum?

Here's one in case you're unfamiliar (first thing to pop up on google when searching the word "obey" btw):

Posted Image

That's Andre's FACE :lol:

Andre is more pop culture than you could imagine. He deserves to be in the DB ASAP :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users