• This topic is locked This topic is locked
78 replies to this topic

#21 chaos-with-honor

chaos-with-honor

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Interests:I am a martial arts instructor, a minister, a peer counselor, and a father of four.<br /><br />7th Dan Black Belt - Bushi-Kai Jukendo-Ryu Karate<br />5th Dan Black Belt - American Kenpo Karate<br />1st Dan Black Belt - Aikido Jiujitsu<br />Instructor's Credits - Five Elements Five Animals Kung Fu<br />Instructor's Credits - Muay Thai Kick Boxing<br />Brown Belt - Judo<br />Brown Belt - Matsukazi-Ryu Jiujitsu<br />Brown Belt - Small Circle Jiujitsu<br />3rd Level practitioner of Dim Mak<br /><br />Amature Wrestler<br />Amature Boxer<br />Amature Kickboxer<br />Amature MMA Fighter

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:02 AM

At the same time, we DO have reasons for acting in the way we do. THIS THREAD is the basis of our decisions. Its intentionally worded vaguely because the subject matter at hand is innately subjective. What constitutes "pop culture" cannot and will not be specifically defined for these purposes beyond what is written in the linked thread. Therefore, what constitutes "pop culture" is up to the admin in question.

Thank you for actually giving me a standpoint from which to argue.

Your Decision was based on this statement, if your reason for denial was true:

KISS is a rock band (you know, the four guys in the white and black face makeup) BUT they also have both a comic book series and a movie based on them having powers in their stage get-up. Therefore KISS is acceptable.

Comic book? Check
Movie based on them having powers in their stage get up? Check, check, and check.
Where is Kiss' video game?
Where are KISS' television appearances in costume, being the characters they created for the stage?
Where are KISS' new music and stage shows?

I submitted GWAR, as opposed to Dave Brockie, etc., because the band has it's own story and references that are only in reference to on stage characters. By your standards, they should be acceptable. There is nothing vague about exceeding what is written as a baseline requirement.

#22 boston_celtics

boston_celtics

Released the Kraken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Interests:If I had any, why would I be on this site?

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:07 AM

Direct from FAQ:

KISS is a rock band (you know, the four guys in the white and black face makeup) BUT they also have both a comic book series and a movie based on them having powers in their stage get-up. Therefore KISS is acceptable.

From this reasoning, anybody with a movie and a series of some sort is pop culture, making Mongols correct.

Also:

Julius Caesar, Romel the Desert Fox and Napolean *might* be of interest to us because of their supposed historical tactical genius.

So characters that do NOT appear in pop culture mediums (except for Caesar) could be acceptable.

There is absolutely no reason not to accept the Mongols or Genghis Khan. Same for GWAR.

#23 chakos

chakos

The Avatar of Himself

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 06:13 AM

Heck, *I* could make a comic, movie, and game about myself pretty easily these days. Doesn't make me pop culture.

Just cleared out the pop culture bin. By the way, we can't see what creator submits any given character, but i'm curious as to who though they needed to submit 50 bad guys from old action/thriller films. THE VILLAIN FROM SPEED 2 IS NOT A POPULAR CULTURE REFERENCE.

Et. Cetera.

#24 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 16 June 2009 - 09:39 AM

I think Marvel Man summed it up pretty good. Household name is not GWAR.

#25 Sir Exal

Sir Exal

Still Here, somehow.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Interests:Promising myself I'll change and then never doing it.

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:52 AM

Where is Kiss' video game?

Right here, dude.

Anyway, I'd also like to point out that the admins made mistakes in the past? KISS and especially AC/DC probably shouldn't have been accepted in the first place. Maybe Ninjas and Pirates shouldn't have been either. We were wrong. We are keeping to the rule now.

By the way, I've never even heard of GWAR. Not even as "that one band that..." That should tell you something.

And if you want Mongols in on the basis that they were in Mongol, submit the Mongols FROM Mongol. But don't just give general mongol citations.

KHAAAAAN!

#26 videogameman

videogameman

Part of the Rag-Tag Fugitive Fleet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Interests:Video games, literature, Anime/Manga, Western animation ie. Cartoons, and your momma!

Posted 16 June 2009 - 11:58 AM

Right here, dude.

Anyway, I'd also like to point out that the admins made mistakes in the past? KISS and especially AC/DC probably shouldn't have been accepted in the first place. Maybe Ninjas and Pirates shouldn't have been either. We were wrong. We are keeping to the rule now.

By the way, I've never even heard of GWAR. Not even as "that one band that..." That should tell you something.

And if you want Mongols in on the basis that they were in Mongol, submit the Mongols FROM Mongol. But don't just give general mongol citations.

KHAAAAAN!

No. Ninjas and Pirates are completely and utterly pop culture. No one has not heard of them. KISS is the same.

#27 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 16 June 2009 - 12:32 PM

KISS = Icon

GWAR = :lol:

#28 Skirmisher

Skirmisher

Field Marshal

• Members
  • 5,026 posts
  • Interests:The Halo Universe, Warhammer Fantasy and 40K, Deconstructing the Hype of Star Wars, Still Like Star Wars though...

Posted 16 June 2009 - 12:45 PM

No. Ninjas and Pirates are completely and utterly pop culture. No one has not heard of them. KISS is the same.

And the fact that Act like a ninja day is December 5 and Talk like a pirate day is september 19...

The fact that these two groups have be (Fictionally) at war with eachother in pop culture for years now...

Although Pirates aren't in the DB, Ninjas are, and well at least they have their movie careers as mooks to back up their claim to stay here.

#29 videogameman

videogameman

Part of the Rag-Tag Fugitive Fleet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Interests:Video games, literature, Anime/Manga, Western animation ie. Cartoons, and your momma!

Posted 16 June 2009 - 12:54 PM

And the fact that Act like a ninja day is December 5 and Talk like a pirate day is september 19...

The fact that these two groups have be (Fictionally) at war with eachother in pop culture for years now...

Although Pirates aren't in the DB, Ninjas are, and well at least they have their movie careers as mooks to back up their claim to stay here.

They've been added. Look in the DB. Maybe you should make that match. :lol:

#30 Skirmisher

Skirmisher

Field Marshal

• Members
  • 5,026 posts
  • Interests:The Halo Universe, Warhammer Fantasy and 40K, Deconstructing the Hype of Star Wars, Still Like Star Wars though...

Posted 16 June 2009 - 12:58 PM

They've been added. Look in the DB. Maybe you should make that match. :lol:

Nice, must have been a new add.

#31 Skirmisher

Skirmisher

Field Marshal

• Members
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 02:42 PM

Ok, this is just bad...

I submitted a few Dynasty Warrior Characters... They had Dynasty Warrior Pictures, they had Dynasty Warrior Links, they were Credited to Koei who made the Dynasty Warrior games, and they were in the Proper section of Video Games...

Yet I get this: Denied, Reason "Koei doesn't own the rights to the characters from the Romance of the Three Kingdoms stories. Please"

They may not own the rights to the fictional characters from a story book written more than a thousand years ago, but they sure as hell own the rights to the Characters Portrayed in their Video Games.

Mayhaps this is one of those glaring mistakes mentioned?

#32 Landon

Landon

The Main Character

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 03:52 PM

Koei doesn't own the characters, no more than Capcom owns King Arthur despite making a Knights of the Round video game back in the 90s or any other instance in which a video game company makes a video game based on public domain characters. Please resubmit giving the correct "ownership."

#33 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 04:38 PM

All I do is read this and laugh at Diskyr.

And the vast majority of CBUB users.

However, I'm pretty sure GWAR was entered in the last CBUB so I don't see why it would be turned down here.

HOWEVER x 2, if denying GWAR caused this ruckus, I want more characters denied.

#34 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 04:40 PM

Alright. * Cracks Knuckles * So if I get Mr. Serge in here then you do have to obey him eh?

Well, I wouldn't bet on this, but I'm thinking "Mr. Serge", or just serge, is going to trust Landon and the other admins a hell of a lot more than you, Ripper. Also, are you really telling the admins to go look at Comicvine? Why don't they go look at the CBBB too? All they'll get is "Our forum is so much better than these. I wish we had less members though. Some of our members are real idiots. Like that Diskyr guy."

I mean, seriously, come on. Are you trying to blackmail and boss around the admins? They'll rock you.

P.S. I would bet on what I said.

#35 chakos

chakos

The Avatar of Himself

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 04:55 PM

Is that ripper?

:lol:

All you CBUB'ers had to go and change your names, eh? Fair enough.

#36 Skirmisher

Skirmisher

Field Marshal

• Members
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:00 PM

Koei doesn't own the characters, no more than Capcom owns King Arthur despite making a Knights of the Round video game back in the 90s or any other instance in which a video game company makes a video game based on public domain characters. Please resubmit giving the correct "ownership."

If that were true then I guess that:
* Electronic Arts doesn't own American McGee's Alice, since her character is from Alice in Wonderland
* I guess then Blizzard doesn't own either the Horde or the Alliance since Orks, Minotars, the Undead, Elves, Gnomes, Dwarves, Trolls, ect. Don't belong to them.
* Ohh, What about all the various Alucards and Draculas? They don't belong to their respective Copy Write Holders since Bram Stoker owns his Character.
* Then there's the Brave Fencer Musashi, I guess Square-Enix doesn't have rights to him since he is based on the Real Historical Person, Miyamoto Musashi.
* I'm Quite Sure that Konami doesn't have a copyright to DEATH in their Castlevania games...
* I'm also sure that various things within Blizzards Diablo series don't belong to them. Like Angles and Demons, and random barbarians, and assassins, and mages, etc...
* How about Freelancer Tex, copyrighted to Roster Teeth... Wait, Didn't Bungie make everything about that Character except the voice?
But wait I'm just covering the Video Games Section...

Here, Marvel Doesn't Own Hercules, Aries, Thor, Odin, Loki, Surtur, insert other God figure they've used, Death, etc...
Don't Forget DC's very own God Pantheon that they've borrowed, and Their multiple versions of Death, etc...

Really, the Characters that I submitted were Dynasty Warriors. That was their intended purpose. They were the Fighters that Koei Made and Voiced, they own the Copyright to them and their Image.

#37 Culwych

Culwych

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:05 PM

HOWEVER x 2, if denying GWAR caused this ruckus, I want more characters denied.

Well.... that's an interesting post, and hopefully not from someone in charge of admin. As per my previous thread (mythological characters that were denied), I've have clearly stated that whilst I did not agree with the admin decision, I accept the decision and may protest, whilst still not calling it a "ruckus".

They still do an outstanding job with 100 characters accepted VS ever 5 denied.

Glad to see however that there are still people (I believe called trolls) who delight in controversy or "ruckus" as you so aptly define it.

I'm glad Silversurfer092 can sum this up as follows:

Admins: We cannot agree to this character because of the following
CBUB Users: We'll post a thread to disagree
Amins: We give an explanation
CBUB Users: Not sure we agree
Silversurfer092: Yay... this is causing trouble (ruckus) and I hope that this continues!!!!

On behalf of all users, and hopefully admins....we're so glad you posted that silversurfer092

#38 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:12 PM

Well.... that's an interesting post, and hopefully not from someone in charge of admin. As per my previous thread (mythological characters that were denied), I've have clearly stated that whilst I did not agree with the admin decision, I accept the decision and may protest, whilst still not calling it a "ruckus".

They still do an outstanding job with 100 characters accepted VS ever 5 denied.

Glad to see however that there are still people (I believe called trolls) who delight in controversy or "ruckus" as you so aptly define it.

I'm glad Silversurfer092 can sum this up as follows:

Admins: We cannot agree to this character because of the following
CBUB Users: We'll post a thread to disagree
Amins: We give an explanation
CBUB Users: Not sure we agree
Silversurfer092: Yay... this is causing trouble (ruckus) and I hope that this continues!!!!

On behalf of all users, and hopefully admins....we're so glad you posted that silversurfer092

No, no, no. A troll CAUSES the commotion. I just sit by and watch. I'm not a troll. I'm a bystander that gets amusement out of the "yammering of the masses", if you will. I also like how you pick out the part that this thread humors me, and not the part that I support GWAR being accepted.

I'll just remember not to support you next time you have a petition. Thanks for telling me to shut the hell up and my support is unneeded. I'll remember that.

#39 Culwych

Culwych

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:17 PM

No, no, no. A troll CAUSES the commotion. I just sit by and watch. I'm not a troll. I'm a bystander that gets amusement out of the "yammering of the masses", if you will. I also like how you pick out the part that this thread humors me, and not the part that I support GWAR being accepted.

I'll just remember not to support you next time you have a petition. Thanks for telling me to shut the hell up and my support is unneeded. I'll remember that.

By your support being unneeded you mean.... "HOWEVER x 2, if denying GWAR caused this ruckus, I want more characters denied."

You are going to have to clarify exactly who you are supporting in that statement.... because I don't know about the others but it doesn't exactly sound clear.

Again, if by support you mean "I'm a bystander that gets amusement out of the "yammering of the masses", if you will.", then I believe justification or clarification is going to be needed.

Not trying to start a fight though, so apologies for calling you a Troll! But thanks for the support for future threads Silversurfer.... good to know we can count on you in future petitions!

:lol:

#40 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:19 PM

By your support being unneeded you mean.... "HOWEVER x 2, if denying GWAR caused this ruckus, I want more characters denied."

You are going to have to clarify exactly who you are supporting in that statement.... because I don't know about the others but it doesn't exactly sound clear.

Again, if by support you mean "I'm a bystander that gets amusement out of the "yammering of the masses", if you will.", then I believe justification or clarification is going to be needed.

Not trying to start a fight though, so apologies for calling you a Troll! But thanks for the support for future threads Silversurfer.... good to know we can count on you in future petitions!

The "However X 2" is sarcasm. You should get used to it if you wish to use these boards. When these here admins stop being so nice and go back to the way they were on the other forum, you might hate them. I just get amusement because I've seen how the admins used to act. I'm not saying I know them and what they would do, but I know what they would have done. Based on how they acted on the last forum, this is nothing more than a laugh fest for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users