Photo

Toph vs King Bumi

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

Poll: Toph vs Bumi (9 member(s) have cast votes)

Who wins?

1. Toph (3 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. King Bumi (6 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 tomisntblue

tomisntblue

ANNND now for something you'll really like. (It's cookie

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,760 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:36 PM

Mh, Aang uses the air to lift himself while firebenders fire flames from their feet to fly...

Its kinda confusing but... if they were to try to fly on a rock, they'd have to bend while flying it and that'd be troublesome as they'd have to focus on two things...

Toph is not just gonna stand there and let Bumi do that, she'll realize what he's trying to do and leave that area...

But if bends a large enough area she won't be able to move in time. Remember the last thing he bent while fighting Aang? I'm talking like that, but on a smaller scale allowing him to bend more object while holding that.

And as far as being troublesome, we're talking about King Bumi who, according to this thread which I made, is either the greatest or second greatest earth bender of all time. And he'd only need to hold the rock in the air while throwing the others.

#22 Jaeger Panzer

Jaeger Panzer

The Gorram Hypocyte™ ~1337 Slenderman~

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 02:59 PM

But if bends a large enough area she won't be able to move in time. Remember the last thing he bent while fighting Aang? I'm talking like that, but on a smaller scale allowing him to bend more object while holding that.

And as far as being troublesome, we're talking about King Bumi who, according to this thread which I made, is either the greatest or second greatest earth bender of all time. And he'd only need to hold the rock in the air while throwing the others.

No, she will be able to. The second it moves, she'll know... this is much faster reflexes than a normal earth bender. and she can counter earth bend it as well.

Bumi may be one of the greats but even I'm sure he would have a hard time doing three things at once... levitating a rock in mid air, standing on it, and directing an attack... that would divide his focus and attention.

#23 tomisntblue

tomisntblue

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 10,760 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:30 PM

No, she will be able to. The second it moves, she'll know... this is much faster reflexes than a normal earth bender. and she can counter earth bend it as well.

Bumi may be one of the greats but even I'm sure he would have a hard time doing three things at once... levitating a rock in mid air, standing on it, and directing an attack... that would divide his focus and attention.

It would be hard I'm not trying to down play that aspect, but remember Bumi's not limited to his arms and legs like other earth benders. He can bend with presumably ever part of his body which would make it easier for him to this feat off.

#24 Jaeger Panzer

Jaeger Panzer

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:34 PM

It would be hard I'm not trying to down play that aspect, but remember Bumi's not limited to his arms and legs like other earth benders. He can bend with presumably ever part of his body which would make it easier for him to this feat off.

Yeah, but... it would be insanely hard trying to bend with another part of your body while bending the rock you're standing on while making the movements needed on said rock... and throw in his age.... definitely hard.

#25 AKUMA

AKUMA

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,049 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:52 PM

Yeah, but... it would be insanely hard trying to bend with another part of your body while bending the rock you're standing on while making the movements needed on said rock... and throw in his age.... definitely hard.

i doubt his age would have anything to do with it...

toph is no doubt the greatest earthbender..but she cant best bumi.

its great battle, but bumi's smarter and more experienced than toph.
and thats really the only edge he has on her...and possible the only edge he needs.

#26 Jaeger Panzer

Jaeger Panzer

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 03:54 PM

i doubt his age would have anything to do with it...

toph is no doubt the greatest earthbender..but she cant best bumi.

its great battle, but bumi's smarter and more experienced than toph.
and thats really the only edge he has on her...and possible the only edge he needs.

In terms of reflexes, it might...

Well, I believe her skill in metal bending and her ability to sense vibrations would at least counter act that somewhat... but yeah, you're right.

#27 AKUMA

AKUMA

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 3,049 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 04:08 PM

In terms of reflexes, it might...

Well, I believe her skill in metal bending and her ability to sense vibrations would at least counter act that somewhat... but yeah, you're right.

providing theres metal around...
that would be a good advantage for toph...

#28 Jaeger Panzer

Jaeger Panzer

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 04:38 PM

providing theres metal around...
that would be a good advantage for toph...

There are ores in earth... she can find em.

#29 Marvel Man

Marvel Man

Get this crayon outta my nostril, PLEASE!

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 4,552 posts
  • Interests:Doing stuff... And fighting evil.

Posted 16 June 2010 - 05:37 PM

Earthbenders fail against Toph as they utilize earth, the vibrations tell Toph what they're doing and when they're going to attack, Earthbenders are the kind of enemies that Toph has the greatest advantage against... That's the reason why she calls herself that. Bumi falls, he comes no where close to Toph's powers. Experience might drag this fight out but her sensing abilities pretty much smokes that.

Wouldn't Bumi's ability to lift giant pieces of stone and rock negate that? She can't see things that are off the ground, right? Besides, her control isn't absolute (despite the fact that she can bend metal). Look at how she acts when confronted by Sand benders. Aren't they just a different type of earthbenders?

Meanwhile, look at Bumi. Each of his feats seems to top the last. Did you see the type of stuff he was bending during his first fight with Aang? Or how he was able to bend with his nose when he was captured? The man literally has over a hundred years of experience. Toph? What, is she like 14?
Bumi ftw.

#30 Stranglehold-prime

Stranglehold-prime

I am One with the Ferret.

• Members
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 06:06 PM

I have to say Bumi because he been around longer and when he fights he doesnt even try to his fuullest and still comes out on top.

Bumi took back his whole kingdom from the fire nation by himself.

#31 Jaeger Panzer

Jaeger Panzer

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 06:06 PM

Wouldn't Bumi's ability to lift giant pieces of stone and rock negate that? She can't see things that are off the ground, right? Besides, her control isn't absolute (despite the fact that she can bend metal). Look at how she acts when confronted by Sand benders. Aren't they just a different type of earthbenders?

Meanwhile, look at Bumi. Each of his feats seems to top the last. Did you see the type of stuff he was bending during his first fight with Aang? Or how he was able to bend with his nose when he was captured? The man literally has over a hundred years of experience. Toph? What, is she like 14?
Bumi ftw.

They were more like airbender and earthbender hybrid if you get what I mean and we all know she pales against Airbenders. Then how does she dodge attacks from a pair of earthbenders who are away from her later on in the series? Its not the object in the air, its from sensing the movement of the benders that she deciphers the direction of the projectiles.

Yes, yes, and Aang gave him a really good fight... Toph can meet him and if needed be, she can counter bend his attacks... unlike Aang who couldn't do that as he didn't know earthbending when he got the giant boulder over him...

She can hear as well so... she can decipher sounds made by attacks in the air I believe. Airbending, she fails against but Earthbending... she dominates.

#32 Omega11

Omega11

Evil Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 11:20 AM

I can say Fire benders fly, Air benders can fly, so I see no reason Earth benders can't find a way.

An Earth bender taking to the air would separate them from their source of power, while an Air bender flying obviously puts them into it, and a Fire bender's source of power comes from within.

But even if can't be Done, Bumi has shown insane bending strength and could bend the area Toph's standing on into the air and throw rocks at her that way so she's separate from the earth.

Meanwhile Toph is just standing there, not trying to attack or defend or anything, just letting Bumi do whatever he wants?

Besides, her control isn't absolute (despite the fact that she can bend metal). Look at how she acts when confronted by Sand benders. Aren't they just a different type of earthbenders?

And yet at the end of the series, she displays very fine control over sand, being able to instantly make an incredibly detailed sand sculpture of Ba Sing Se.

Bumi ftw.

Experience doesn't mean much when you're overmatched. Toph has faster reflexes and can sense his attacks coming.

Even if Bumi figures this out(probably likely, he's a wiley one), trying to set up some kind of way to circumvent it would take too long and leave him vulnerable to Toph's attacks.

Toph wins.

#33 MarvelFan15

MarvelFan15

May I polish your boots, Marvel Man ?

• Members
  • 2,639 posts
  • Interests:Fighting Frost-Giants, demons, Loki, and DC fanboys. Also: Sports, Movies, Comics, TV, Games (of any sort), books, cars, girls, and Video Games.

Posted 17 June 2010 - 12:50 PM

Grr...I have yet to actually watch this series. I've got no cable for my TV.

#34 Stranglehold-prime

Stranglehold-prime

I am One with the Ferret.

• Members
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 12:59 PM

Get direct Tv. Its good.

#35 Jaeger Panzer

Jaeger Panzer

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 01:00 PM

Get direct Tv. Its good.

Timewarner's cable's better, you get internet! :P

#36 Omega11

Omega11

Evil Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:14 AM

You need to watch it. Now.

Stop whatever you are doing, go out and buy or rent all of the DVD's.

Now.

It's amazing.

Now.

#37 super1mm

super1mm

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 01:32 PM

If a fire-bender wanted to fly, he'd have to bend the fire beneath his feet while flying. Same with earth-benders riding their air balls or wind-surfing. I actually think it would be easier for an earth-bender, because he's not really making himself fly; he's just levitating the ground beneath him, without having to concentrate on his own movements otherwise.

Anywho, as I recall in Aang's fight with Bumi, Bumi lifted a chunk of rock over Aang's head about the size of the arena they were fighting in. I don't think it's ridiculous to think that he could lift a smaller chunk of earth off the ground with him on it, since I don't think it was every clearly said that an earth-bender has to be on the ground to bend earth. Aang flew in his fight with the Firelord and he had rocks orbiting around him presumably via earth-bending (since they were trying to give the impression that all the elements were under his control at that moment). Granted, he IS the Avatar, but I think it's safe to say that both Toph and Bumi are better earth-benders than him regardless of his Avatar state, so if he could do it then I'm sure that they could too.

#38 Jaeger Panzer

Jaeger Panzer

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:27 PM

If a fire-bender wanted to fly, he'd have to bend the fire beneath his feet while flying. Same with earth-benders riding their air balls or wind-surfing. I actually think it would be easier for an earth-bender, because he's not really making himself fly; he's just levitating the ground beneath him, without having to concentrate on his own movements otherwise.

Anywho, as I recall in Aang's fight with Bumi, Bumi lifted a chunk of rock over Aang's head about the size of the arena they were fighting in. I don't think it's ridiculous to think that he could lift a smaller chunk of earth off the ground with him on it, since I don't think it was every clearly said that an earth-bender has to be on the ground to bend earth. Aang flew in his fight with the Firelord and he had rocks orbiting around him presumably via earth-bending (since they were trying to give the impression that all the elements were under his control at that moment). Granted, he IS the Avatar, but I think it's safe to say that both Toph and Bumi are better earth-benders than him regardless of his Avatar state, so if he could do it then I'm sure that they could too.

Okay, they have to make movements to use their bending skills. And if they leave the ground, they lose their source of power. Plus the fact that none of the earthbenders in the series been seen flying so... you cannot say they can unless its shown in the anime. Aang whips the airball and it goes while he rides it... the flame comes from within, you need to have extreme mastery over it, watch Oozai, he fights with the jet of flames coming from his feet against Aang at the same time...

It wasn't the size of the arena, it was a boulder.

Posted Image

Neither is this the "size of the arena".

Posted Image

And Aang manipulating all four elements at the same time doesn't prove how much of a bender in all of these arts he is? Even in the style of his avatar earthbending, the rocks rotating around him with the other elements doesn't show his mastery? I'm sure that Bumi and Toph would be hard pressed to match that.

Look at this. He seems to be doing it EFFORTLESSLY.

Posted Image

#39 AKUMA

AKUMA

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 3,049 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 09:33 AM

i dont know about that.... :P

#40 tomisntblue

tomisntblue

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 10,760 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 05:07 PM

And Aang manipulating all four elements at the same time doesn't prove how much of a bender in all of these arts he is? Even in the style of his avatar earthbending, the rocks rotating around him with the other elements doesn't show his mastery? I'm sure that Bumi and Toph would be hard pressed to match that.
Posted Image

This much I can agree with you on, I would say that Aang in avatar state outclasses Bumi and Toph in earth bending because he has the knowlege of every Avatar before him. Aang on his own however isn't much of an earth bender, as it's been said multiple times in the series.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users