#1 Diskyr

Diskyr

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Interests:Anything that suits me

Posted 13 June 2009 - 04:15 PM

Which Force will turn out victor in this cosmic collision course?

The Unstoppable Force: A force that cannot be stopped, is impossible to be stopped, and will never stop unless the force itself wills itself to.

The Immovable Object: An object that is impossible to move, even from Jesus, Chuck Norris, Dr. Manhattan, Big G, TOAA, and other like them. Nothing will or has ever moved it.

So which force will be victor? Will the Unstoppable force move the Immovable Object, even just 1 inch? Or Will the Immovable object stop the Unstoppable force dead in its tracks?

There Can be NO TIES AT ALL

#2 HulkSmash9

HulkSmash9

SPOOOON!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 04:27 PM

I think that this rally epends on what the two forces qctually consist of, like a good example would be Juggernaut and WWH, WWH was doing well in stopping Juggs but even tually Juggs began to move him.
The unstoppable force will always be putting on pressure on the immovable force, which will eventually weaken and it will be moved, eventually even though it could take years or even more, it will still be moved.

#3 The Technomancer of Nesh

The Technomancer of Nesh

Hoid

• CBUB Character Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,252 posts
  • Interests:Shonen anime/manga
    reading/writing fantasy novels
    reading/writing fanfiction

Posted 13 June 2009 - 04:42 PM

Depending on the makeup of said force and object the Immovable object could deflect the Unstoppable force without moving. So I guess in the right conditions the immovable object wins without stopping the Unstoppable force.

#4 Culwych

Culwych

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 06:12 PM

LOL, this is actually something I did a paper on when I did philosophy at school years ago!

The solution unfortunately is a tie.... but the true answer is that they switch places. The Unstoppable Force will Stop and the Unmovable Object will move. If you play pool/billiards (whatever you call the game) then you will see this often. One ball will hit the other and stop dead in it's tracks whilst the other takes off to whichever hole you hoped it would.

#5 Diskyr

Diskyr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Interests:Anything that suits me

Posted 13 June 2009 - 09:36 PM

But how would they switch places? How would the unstoppable force move the immovable object?

Remember, there can be no TIE at all.

Also, it's impossible for the unstoppable force to stop or the immovable object to move. Not even God or your frail grandma can move or stop these two forces.

But there can be no tie too.

#6 boston_celtics

boston_celtics

Released the Kraken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Interests:If I had any, why would I be on this site?

Posted 15 June 2009 - 04:45 AM

Their existence is paradox.

If there is an unstoppable object, then it is impossible for there to be an immovable one, and vice versa.

Everything explodes due to this paradox.

#7 MarvelFan15

MarvelFan15

May I polish your boots, Marvel Man ?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
  • Interests:Fighting Frost-Giants, demons, Loki, and DC fanboys. Also: Sports, Movies, Comics, TV, Games (of any sort), books, cars, girls, and Video Games.

Posted 19 June 2009 - 11:12 PM

LOL, this is actually something I did a paper on when I did philosophy at school years ago!

The solution unfortunately is a tie.... but the true answer is that they switch places. The Unstoppable Force will Stop and the Unmovable Object will move. If you play pool/billiards (whatever you call the game) then you will see this often. One ball will hit the other and stop dead in it's tracks whilst the other takes off to whichever hole you hoped it would.

This really is the most logical conclusion... <_<

#8 LegendX

LegendX

Part of the Rag-Tag Fugitive Fleet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • Interests:MMA, pro wrestling, muscle cars, sport bikes, pitbulls, Star Wars, Star Trek, hip hop, stand-up comedy and the philosophy of pointlessly, useless stuff.

Posted 20 June 2009 - 02:50 PM

This really is the most logical conclusion... <_<

There's one other solution, I think...

The immovible object has to be anchored to something, perhaps the universe itself. When met by the unstoppable force the IO drags it's station (universe, reality, whatever) with it, technically retaining it's point in space without actually stopping the UF. In this case I would give the UF the win since the IO's anchor point failed.

#9 boston_celtics

boston_celtics

Released the Kraken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Interests:If I had any, why would I be on this site?

Posted 20 June 2009 - 11:14 PM

This conclusion is not logical. If the objects are respectively immovable and unstoppable, WHY would the former move and the latter stop? Pool is a poor analogy, because balls are not unstoppable or immovable.

My point is, if those two objects switch functions, as you say, then they were, in fact, not immovable or unstoppable, making the point moot.

#10 XenoD

XenoD

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:Normal stuff, you know like World Conquest

Posted 21 June 2009 - 03:07 PM

An unstoppable vs an Unmovable object.

Big freakin' explosions.

#11 MarvelFan15

MarvelFan15

May I polish your boots, Marvel Man ?

• Members
  • 2,639 posts
  • Interests:Fighting Frost-Giants, demons, Loki, and DC fanboys. Also: Sports, Movies, Comics, TV, Games (of any sort), books, cars, girls, and Video Games.

Posted 22 June 2009 - 10:20 PM

This conclusion is not logical. If the objects are respectively immovable and unstoppable, WHY would the former move and the latter stop? Pool is a poor analogy, because balls are not unstoppable or immovable.

My point is, if those two objects switch functions, as you say, then they were, in fact, not immovable or unstoppable, making the point moot.

It's just a theory...Unless you go XenoD's way, and say that the fabric of time, space, and reality would explode...

#12 Cujogoodie

Cujogoodie

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:Creative Writing. Who can win a fight? Who's the smartest? Who has the best attitude? The world of fiction is rivaled in majesty only by our own minds, to search one, you must understand the other.<br /><br />Which is to say, I'm interested in everything, I'll watch/listen to anything once.

Posted 23 June 2009 - 12:31 AM

Simple. The Unstoppable Force goes through the Immovable Object. The atoms of the Force simply don't touch those of the Object, the Object remains where it was, and the Force moves on unimpeded.

#13 Dreadlock

Dreadlock

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 12:52 AM

Upon impact there would be an explosion bigger than that of the Big Bang. It would rip a hole in the very space/time continuum whipping out all excistence within an attosecond.

#14 Ruinus

Ruinus

Plebiscite Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3,154 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Guilty Gear, Guns N' Roses, astronomy, school, English, reading, science fiction, drawing, video games and playing guitar.

Posted 07 September 2009 - 06:13 PM

Simple. The Unstoppable Force goes through the Immovable Object. The atoms of the Force simply don't touch those of the Object, the Object remains where it was, and the Force moves on unimpeded.

AFAIK forces aren't made out of atoms. (Electromagnetic, nuclear, and gravitational)

I agree with boston_celtics, the entire match is broken. Diskyr made the match completely meaningless by stating:
"Also, it's impossible for the unstoppable force to stop or the immovable object to move."

But there can be no tie too."

The question is neither a deep philosophical one, nor is it a paradox that requires some genius idea to solve. Diskyr may as well have asked us:
"Una qiwma gunkeo?" the effect would have been the same, meaningless words.

On the other hand, this debate is an interesting look (at least for me) to religious ideas (both the Unstoppable Force and Unmovable Object have strong religious implications to me) and how people attempt to give meaning to what are essentialy meaningless, contradictory noise.

Or Diskyr wanted to know how many people would bother responding to something he (or she?) knew was meangingless, effectively trolling us.

#15 The Technomancer of Nesh

The Technomancer of Nesh

Hoid

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 6,252 posts
  • Interests:Shonen anime/manga
    reading/writing fantasy novels
    reading/writing fanfiction

Posted 24 November 2009 - 07:34 PM

It immovable not indestructible object. Unstoppable Force blows it to bits.

#16 DataSnake

DataSnake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 08:29 AM

Mu. An unstoppable force and an immovable object are incompossible.

#17 Showzilla

Showzilla

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 02 January 2010 - 01:42 AM

UF+IO=Big *vulgarity*ing Boom!

#18 ricrery

ricrery

Part of the Rag-Tag Fugitive Fleet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 09:42 PM

You could have done Juggernaut vs Blob. That would have made more sense.

#19 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 10:13 PM

whipping out all excistence within an attosecond.

But but but...I don't want to be whipped. Also, there is no such time measurement as an attosecond, nor is there such a thing as an excistence.

#20 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 03 January 2010 - 10:21 PM

Couple of points to make:
(All feat fails brought to you by the mighty Hulk)

Blob is not immovable...

Posted Image

Juggernaut is not unstoppable...

Posted Image

and this whole match is a paradox well explained by Mr. Celtics...

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users