17 replies to this topic

#1 Opalord

Opalord

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 11:40 PM

So, I run a DnD (dungeons and dragons (yes I'm a nerd(although that shouldn't be a problem here))) campaign and I figured I'd ask if anyone would be interested in doing an rp based off the campaign. The basic of the story you start off with is for some reason or another your character finds themself in the great City of Tharantonia, a Gigantic city state run by a council of mages on the eastern coast of the continent Fortem. Before you know it, you're caught up in a great search for powerful artifacts, caught between two warring factions, and beating the crap outta evil (or good, depending on how the party wants to go) along the way. I'll elaborate a bit more if people show interest. now onto the mechanics

---------------------------------------

first everyone picks a race

Elf: lithe, nimble, and quick of mind, their bodies are weaker to wounds and diseases

Dwarf: stout, wise, and strong, but tend to be a bit slower

Gnome: tinkers and inventors, they have many mages but their small size can be disadvantageous

Halfling: little dextarious and smart tricksters, they're not very strong

Humans: the most populous race on Fortem, they have no major strengths except their diversity

Half orcs: The bastard children of orc and human matings, these huge, tough warriors are antisocial at best

Then everyone picks a class

Mage:The Arcane magic users, their intellect gives them a great range of spells, but the time spent learning magic has left them little time to learn other skills

Fighter: Fighter is a catch all term for the warriors of Fortem, be they crackshot archers, quick dervishes, or stalwart defenders encased in armour. They learn the most deadly and effective straight up combat moves

Cleric: Channelers of the divine energy in Fortem, they can cast spells that buff their allies and can hold their own in combat, though not nearly as well as fighters

Rouge: Nimble and smart, the rouge is an expert at finding traps , and in combat can sneak his blade to weak points on an unsuspecting enemy. They tend to not be as tough as other classes

Monk: Masters of martial arts, these warrior monks can keep up with a fighter in close combat and move with amazing speeds, but they have almost no ranged ability and are just a little on the squishier side of the spectrum

-----------------------

now before I go on, would whoever is interested prefer I use a mechanical system where I give you a list of skills, You say an action and I put into my math system and say what happens, etcetera (like Treacherous's rp), or would you rather do a straight up rp (Like kinetic war's rp) where the story and what happens is more up to you?

either way, I'll start if I get four members and in true fashion of a classic DnD campaign others can jump in during lulls in the action

so, who's interested, and are there any questions?

#2 Opalord

Opalord

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 11:42 PM

ah crap can an admin move this? I missed the right board

#3 Magnus

Magnus

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:12 AM

Moved.

#4 Opalord

Opalord

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 02:07 PM

Thanks

#5 The Technomancer of Nesh

The Technomancer of Nesh

Hoid

• CBUB Character Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,252 posts
  • Interests:Shonen anime/manga
    reading/writing fantasy novels
    reading/writing fanfiction

Posted 28 March 2010 - 11:14 PM

I'll take a gnome monk, what else do you need to know? Let's go the kenetic route. Will we be able to multi-class?

#6 Opalord

Opalord

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:02 AM

ignore

#7 Opalord

Opalord

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:03 AM

Well, since we're going the kinetic route, we'll use this character sheet

Name: self explanatory

Personality: a short paragraph describing your character's basic personality

Background: A paragraph or two about your character's origin. The world of Fortem is still forming itself, so you can either use a location from your own mind or use the set places that so far exist. These are:

Tharantonia: The main and starting city is a huge metropolis on the eastern coast of Fortem ruled over by a cabal of nameless mages. Some areas are completely under their control, but other districts have recently descended into almost anarchy

The Nothern Jewels: an large section on the north part of Fortem dominated by deserts and a few large cities interspersed throughout.

Drugnal: The southern tundras with large mountians ruled by warring factions of orcs and dwarves, with human settlements in between.

Nockjul Forest: A primeval forest in the center of Fortem, ruled by wild magic and ancient elven cities, some that rival Tharantonia inside

The area to the west of the forest is as of yet uncharted, at least as far as most of the citizens of tharantonia know

your class and race should let everyone know your basic abilities, so no need for a skill system. If your character has a hobby, profession, or something the hate/aren't good at,just put it under personality

#8 Kinetic War

Kinetic War

Don't feed him after midnight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • Interests:This article is too long. Consider splitting it into separate articles.

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:06 AM

Very interesting. Exactly how "nerdy" is this going to be? A dedicated role-player myself, I like to tinker with my character's skills and abilities a bit more, but I know not everybody cares about things like that. So maybe you should create a random basic sheet for everyone based on their choices, but for those who are slightly more interested (geekier), there will be an option to twist and tweak their character a bit more, huh?

Also, are our characters completely our own creation, or does this story take place in some D&D continuity? For instance, suppose I join with a dwarven cleric. Will I be creating a deity for him as well, or go with an established one?

I'm for a full-fledged adventure like Nesh, but let's wait and see what others think.

#9 Opalord

Opalord

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:15 AM

Hmmmm... as to continuity, I guess I would prefer to use it, but I don't want to alienate those who don't know the continuity or play. I guess if we got enough people who actually played the game we could roll just actual straight up characters. It just depends on who wants to play. do you guys want a skill list? do you want to pick feats like you do in the game? I'm just not entirely sure how in depth or how close to the DnD system everyone would be comfortable with

#10 Zreth

Zreth

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 02:28 AM

Where are the Half-Elves?

#11 Opalord

Opalord

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 10:33 AM

again was trying to make it less confusing for people who havent used the DnD system. Half elves do exist, and there is actually a very small population of half orc half elf hybrids living in the city, though they have degraded into primative beasts that prey on people like predators

#12 Kinetic War

Kinetic War

Don't feed him after midnight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • Interests:This article is too long. Consider splitting it into separate articles.

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:00 AM

Again, agree with your system. Not everyone should be expected to care about the finer details. The thing I'm asking is that is there a choice for those interested to make small tweaks to the character sheet? Sort of a kit system instead of just a generic sheet? If I choose a cleric, can I then make a choice for that cleric to emphasize on defensive casting (healing, enhancement spells) instead of offensive (turn undead, holy smite)? Can a mage choose a school (necromancy, abjuration, etc.) if they want to? Such details should not be obligatory, just something for people that are interested.

#13 Opalord

Opalord

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:25 AM

oh of course. Personolize your character in every way possible

#14 Jaeger Panzer

Jaeger Panzer

The Gorram Hypocyte™ ~1337 Slenderman~

• Members
  • 14,505 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 06:38 PM

I'll take a half orc fighter. I'm not in the fully descriptive characters kind of thing.

Name: Rhon "Daggerback" Jang

Personality: Rhon is extremely antisocial with most people as his growing-up and his heritage didn't exactly grant him what the other races would receive, a family, love and care. The lack of such things led him to become bitter and emotionless towards everyone. However there are those he likes albeit a few of them. To this end, Jang is fiercely loyal and will do anything to to ensure that the few friends of his are safe and unharmed so that they may remain his friend.

Background: He is from the frozen lands of Drugnal. That being said, the harsh conditions of both the land and the threat of the warring locals taught Jang how to survive. He has lived here his whole life and knows nothing else besides this land and his life. He is incredibly good at forging his own armors of fine quality as he had to find something to do in the meantime. He is also good at hunting. The one thing he is not good at is being patient and that sometimes gets in the way of his hunting and forging.

#15 Zreth

Zreth

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 07:15 PM

Is this free-form or is there anything to it cause I suck ass at free-form.

#16 Skirmisher

Skirmisher

Field Marshal

• Members
  • 5,026 posts
  • Interests:The Halo Universe, Warhammer Fantasy and 40K, Deconstructing the Hype of Star Wars, Still Like Star Wars though...

Posted 31 March 2010 - 03:07 AM

Is this free-form or is there anything to it cause I suck ass at free-form.

Same here & that's why I like dice with my RPs.

#17 Opalord

Opalord

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 10:05 AM

... I well, I can't do both system and free-form for obvious reasons... unless... I could make a stat system, you guys post what you plan to do, I make some rolls using the system, and tell you how it all happens afterwards either in post or pm. you could post whatever you want to do, I would just have to decide which stats would be appropriate for what actions

#18 Opalord

Opalord

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:34 PM

Going on vacation till Friday no internet access

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users