• Please log in to reply
256 replies to this topic

#41 Ruinus

Ruinus

Plebiscite Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,154 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Guilty Gear, Guns N' Roses, astronomy, school, English, reading, science fiction, drawing, video games and playing guitar.

Posted 13 March 2010 - 06:26 PM

Ruinus: arguing that the feds can't replicate SW "neutronium" just because they can't replicate their universe's "neutronium" would be like me arguing that IoM ships are indestructible because they use "adamantium". It's the same name, but a completely different thing.

Except in WH40K you can clearly see ships blow up even with their adamantium hulls, so anyone could easily "What the hell does Marvel have to do with this?" In both ST and SW neutronum (while maybe not being the exact same thing) are both exotic materials. In ST they can't replicate exotic materials (they can't for instance, replicate their own fuel sources), so if they can't replicate some materials from their own universe, why would they be able to replicate everything from anyone else's universe?

#42 ricrery

ricrery

Part of the Rag-Tag Fugitive Fleet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 07:07 PM

Not only that, in "Best of Both Worlds" most of the fleet protecting Earth was destroyed by one Borg Cube, why didn't they replicate that?

#43 Ruinus

Ruinus

Plebiscite Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3,154 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Guilty Gear, Guns N' Roses, astronomy, school, English, reading, science fiction, drawing, video games and playing guitar.

Posted 13 March 2010 - 07:23 PM

Not only that, in "Best of Both Worlds" most of the fleet protecting Earth was destroyed by one Borg Cube, why didn't they replicate that?

Exactly. They can't even replicate their own technology as much as they want, so why would they be able to do so for a completely different civilization's technology?

#44 Skirmisher

Skirmisher

Field Marshal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,026 posts
  • Interests:The Halo Universe, Warhammer Fantasy and 40K, Deconstructing the Hype of Star Wars, Still Like Star Wars though...

Posted 13 March 2010 - 07:27 PM

I believe that two things are involved here.

1) Energy requirements. The reason they can't replicate their fuel sources is because it would probably take the same amount of fuel to make more fuel. Net gain = 0

2) PIS. Yes, they suffer from it alot. Really the way it works is that it rearranges matter at the subatomic level into whatever you want. This should have No Limit on what type of material you can create. The only restriction would be the Energy Requirements, as noted in point #1.

#45 Ruinus

Ruinus

Plebiscite Moderator

• Moderators
  • 3,154 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 08:01 PM

Latinum cannot be replicated, so there are clearly some objects they cannot replicate themselves, although it could be an energy problem too.

Either way, it's all the same. They can't do it for their own materials, why suddenly for materials from another universe?

#46 ricrery

ricrery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 08:41 PM

There was an entire episode where bad replicating was a threat to the Enterprise

Also, their androids are crappier than SW droids.

#47 Skirmisher

Skirmisher

Field Marshal

• Members
  • 5,026 posts
  • Interests:The Halo Universe, Warhammer Fantasy and 40K, Deconstructing the Hype of Star Wars, Still Like Star Wars though...

Posted 13 March 2010 - 08:41 PM

Latinum cannot be replicated, so there are clearly some objects they cannot replicate themselves, although it could be an energy problem too.

Either way, it's all the same. They can't do it for their own materials, why suddenly for materials from another universe?

Ha, got it!

"...It is impossible to replicate objects with complicated quantum structures, such as living beings, dilithium, gold, or latinum. (However, in the TNG episode "Allegiance", aliens used their version of replicators to create a Picard imposter.) Additionally, read/write errors cause a number of single-bit errors to occur in replicated materials. Though usually undetectable to human senses, computer scanning can be used to reveal these discrepancies, and they may explain the frequent complaint (by some gourmets and connoisseurs) that replicated food and beverages suffer from substandard taste. These errors also may cause a nontoxic material to become toxic when replicated, or create strains of deadly viruses and bacteria from previously harmless ones."

So there are problems with it, yes. But as they have been shown to be able to overcome some of their limitations, I'm sure that eventually and with the Superior intellect of the Emperor of Mankind...

(The guy created his own Webway Gate and linked it to the Eldars... He also made his Primarchs out of Warp energy and his own cells... he created the Space Marines in a very Macgyver fashion in the dark age of Tech... etc. etc. etc)

... he should be able to easily fix these little short falls. I can see him working in a lab along side a thousand UNSC Smart AIs, all dedicated to the task of Improving and Augmenting the Coalitions technology.

#48 Skirmisher

Skirmisher

Field Marshal

• Members
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 08:45 PM

Also, their androids are crappier than SW droids.

Wait, Data is a perfect Android, and far better than any SW droid.

And that's another technology that I'm sure the Emperor would look into...

#49 ricrery

ricrery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 08:49 PM

More like any android in SW > Data. He fails to feel emotion, he fails to comprehend the simplest of things like in Data's Day

Droids in SW actually show emotion and even sentience. Star Wars is tens of thousands of years more advanced than the Feds.

#50 Skirmisher

Skirmisher

Field Marshal

• Members
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:08 PM

More like any android in SW > Data. He fails to feel emotion, he fails to comprehend the simplest of things like in Data's Day

Droids in SW actually show emotion and even sentience. Star Wars is tens of thousands of years more advanced than the Feds.

Emotion in droids is rare and usually the result of a heuristic glitch which can lead to very bad things. Or they have to be hardwired into the Droid at the factory.

Data has had to learn emotions through the coarse of his development, and of coarse he has the Emotion Chip.

The fact remains though that as stated the Heuristic Processor only allows a Droid to "reason through several potential solutions to tasks and formulate the best approach"

I believe that Data can do hundreds of Calculations on a multitude of different tasks all at the same time.

His information gathering capacity also seems to be faster than a Droids, as the esteemed R2-D2 took several seconds to bring up the Death Star schematic and find the tractor beam controls, and a further couple of seconds to find Leia. I believe that I have seen Data read several small font pages of text per second, with full comprehension of all the material in them.

Lastly he's far stronger than any organic, and could probably fight a Wookiee off if it tried to pull his arms out.

Edit: Actually here

"Data was built with an ultimate storage capacity of eight hundred quadrillion bits (one hundred petabytes, approximately fifty times the identifiable storage capacity of the Human brain) and a total linear computational speed rated at sixty trillion operations per second."

#51 ricrery

ricrery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:14 PM

The chip was given to his brother, on accident. In RotS, we see the B2 Battledroids see R2-D2 as a "stupid little astro droid", and this is far better emotions than Data.

#52 Skirmisher

Skirmisher

Field Marshal

• Members
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:19 PM

The chip was given to his brother, on accident. In RotS, we see the B2 Battledroids see R2-D2 as a "stupid little astro droid", and this is far better emotions than Data.

True, but where Data could fit into society with his emotions, Droids can't. They have a tendency to run Rampant apparently, and you know the whole "Meat Bag" comments don't go over too well with organics...

#53 ricrery

ricrery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 09:35 PM

Droids in SW are also more competent, they'd tear ST droids/drones apart. You make Data sound strong even though he has only thrown humans around, while Worf was losing to Locutus, Wookies are obviously stronger than DS9 Klingons that lose to normal humans in close quarters combat.

#54 Skirmisher

Skirmisher

Field Marshal

• Members
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 13 March 2010 - 10:34 PM

Ok, I would like to make a List of what each faction brings to the Table.

Assuming that I am right about how the IOM would absorb the lesser/friendlier factions, and that the GE/Sith and the IOMadv keep each other at arms length to try and maintain a balance of power.

Imperium of Man
STC's
Space Marines
High Powered Plasma Weapons
Melta Weapons
Adamanium Armour
Ceramite Armour
electrically-motivated fibre bundles, as seen in all Power Armour
Black Carapace Bio-Tech
Lance Weaponry
Psykers
Warp drive
Titans
Void Shields
Warp Teleportation
The Emperor

Republic
Duplicators
Hyperdrive
Droids
Hypermatter
Turbolasers
Republic Ship Yards
Jedi
Mace Windu
Light Sabers
Planetary Shields
High Powered Deflector Shields
Spaarti Cloning
Kamino Cloning

UNSC/Insurrectionists
NOVA Bomb
MAC Cannon
Advanced AI
Slipspace Drive
Power Armour
Bubble Shields
Cryonics
Bio-Foam
Advanced Stealth Shields
Ex-Admiral Preston Cole
Captian Jacob Keyes
Catherine Halsey
Infantry Portable Anti-Material Rail Guns
Infantry Portable 30MT Nuke
VISR
Flash Cloning

Federation
Phasers
Cloaking Tech, they would no longer be bound by the Treaty of Algeron and free to use Cloaks
Warp Drive
Advanced Medical Techniques and Equipment
Augments
Advanced Androids
Transporters
Replicators
Holodecks
Sensors that can apparently see 0.793 lightyears all around in real time

Weyland-Yutani Corp
I have no idea...

Terran Federation
High Powered / High Mobility Power Armour

Galactic Empire
Pretty much everything the Republic has.
Quantum-Crystalline Armour
Resonance Torpedoes
Super Lasers
Gravity Well Projectors
World Devastators
Darth Vader
Emperor Palpatine
The Emperor's Hand
... I'm sure Ruinus can help with this list, I know I've left stuff out, but this is alot already...

Rebel Alliance
Luke Skywalker
Han Solo
Wedge Antilles

Please feel free to comment on any additional Resources that I've forgotten.

#55 Skirmisher

Skirmisher

Field Marshal

• Members
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 01:25 AM

Hmm, I just thought of something...

Unless the Human side is getting over powerful

how about adding these Humans?

#56 MarvelFan15

MarvelFan15

May I polish your boots, Marvel Man ?

• Members
  • 2,639 posts
  • Interests:Fighting Frost-Giants, demons, Loki, and DC fanboys. Also: Sports, Movies, Comics, TV, Games (of any sort), books, cars, girls, and Video Games.

Posted 14 March 2010 - 03:37 AM

Done.

Anyone who would like to see an alien faction added?

#57 MarvelFan15

MarvelFan15

• Members
  • 2,639 posts
  • Interests:Fighting Frost-Giants, demons, Loki, and DC fanboys. Also: Sports, Movies, Comics, TV, Games (of any sort), books, cars, girls, and Video Games.

Posted 14 March 2010 - 03:43 AM

If anyone was interested, I'd like to add Alan Dean Foster's Humans from his short story "With Friends like these..." Technically, they're the Terran equivalent of Necrons. They can levitate/possibly fly, have advanced Psionic powers, turned Earth into a FTL spaceship, and can atomize a kilometer long warship with a gun the size of a small branch....A gun wielded by a small kid under 10.

Is that giving the Humans too big of an advantage?

#58 Skirmisher

Skirmisher

Field Marshal

• Members
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 04:35 AM

If anyone was interested, I'd like to add Alan Dean Foster's Humans from his short story "With Friends like these..." Technically, they're the Terran equivalent of Necrons. They can levitate/possibly fly, have advanced Psionic powers, turned Earth into a FTL spaceship, can atomize a kilometer long warship with a gun the size of a small branch....A gun wielded by a small kid under 10.

Is that giving the Humans too big of an advantage?

Perhaps, unless you want to add the Xeelee and Photino birds to the aliens...

Maybe the Orks?

#59 MarvelFan15

MarvelFan15

• Members
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 04:36 AM

Perhaps, unless you want to add the Xeelee and Photino birds to the aliens...

Maybe the Orks?

Aren't the Xeelee and Photinos bordering on Phhysical Gods?

As for the Orks...Done.

#60 Skirmisher

Skirmisher

Field Marshal

• Members
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 04:37 AM

Aren't the Xeelee and Photinos bordering on Phhysical Gods?

Very, very close. But they really shouldn't be added.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users