181 replies to this topic

#61 TheJ0ke

TheJ0ke

Nuked the fridge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 02:28 AM

Erm, I recently picked up a copy of George Orwell's 1984 from Borders.
Any thoughts on it (no spoilers please) before I start?

#62 Opalord

Opalord

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 07:00 AM

I found it depressing. Well written though

#63 TheJ0ke

TheJ0ke

Nuked the fridge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:38 PM

I found it depressing. Well written though

Heh, well I didn't anticipate it being a happy pampy book.

#64 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 05 August 2011 - 06:32 PM

Resurrection!!

Read some Steampunk books -----> Leviathan -----> suck'd
Read some Sci Fi/Fantasy -----> Out of the Dark -----> Pretty cool/ Interesting twist ending
Currently reading some Classic Fiction -----> 1984 ------> Brilliant

#65 Sir Exal

Sir Exal

Still Here, somehow.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Interests:Promising myself I'll change and then never doing it.

Posted 05 August 2011 - 06:55 PM

Don't you dare malign Scott Westerfeld, treach.

#66 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 07:18 PM

I didn't dig it. What can you do? Besides I didn't malign him, I maligned Leviathan. It was "meh" for me.

#67 Mercenaryblade

Mercenaryblade

Mercenary Captain

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 5,441 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, fencing, and more.

Posted 05 August 2011 - 08:41 PM

Wel recently I've fallen in love with a series of books about a WWII destroyer that somehow ends up in a parallel universe, there two races are at war one race evolved from Lemurs one from Raptors.

They're very well written, I like so many of the characters and they have plenty of action.

#68 Mr. Outstanding

Mr. Outstanding

Don't feed him after midnight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 09:46 PM

Is 1984 mandatory reading for admins? <_<

You know, the term "Orwellian" sprang to mind once or twice while traveling around here (particularly when my posts were erased and replaced with gibberish, which I can't say wasn't an improvement).

Anywho, 1984 was one of my alter ego's favorites (although I don't do much reading myself). The softy nearly wept during certain moments.

Dostoyevsky is a must, and not just because saying the name to your friends makes you sound smart. Crime and Punishment. If you like the Dexter series or the anime Death Note, you'll love Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment. Doesn't get much better.

He (as in the flesh costume that I wear when I'm not Mr. O) has been reading Kobo Abe lately. The Japanese novelist. Interesting, kind of magical realism with a dose of existentialism. Kangaroo Notebook. The Ruined Map. Just ordered his most famous work, The Woman in the Dunes. Can't wait.

#69 force_echo

force_echo

Pretentious, Obnoxious, Annoying...humanity's last hope

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,750 posts
  • Interests:Anything Interesting

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:46 PM

I had to read 1984 for school. I read Animal Farm for school too. They're candid, and I've always been a sucker for political works.

As for what I'm reading right now, its One Flew Over the Cuckoo Nest. Not sure I like it, all the women are either stone cold bitches or whores, and the black men are sadistic sodomists. Plus the setting is a mental hospital, already scary, and made even more so by the POV of the narrator/main character.

#70 TheJ0ke

TheJ0ke

Nuked the fridge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 05 August 2011 - 11:04 PM

Yes, I'm surprised Treach is sharing the fact that he hasn't read it yet...

The softy nearly wept during certain moments (you'll see what I'm talking about when you get to those parts, the Joke).

The hell are you talking about? I finished that book months ago... and then shortly after read Brave New World. You know, just in case I hadn't had enough of disillusioned people yearning for the past in a future "dystopia" (BTW, I personally don't think Huxley's "nightmare" would actually be as bad as he thought).

Also, Treach, you should totally read Brave New World right after 1984 too. I'm telling you it'll be awesome in the beginning when you go "Like OMG! That was so totally like something George Orwell would like write because the like theme thingies are so like each other!" or something like that... it'll definitely keep the Valley Girl drawl in Treach's head/when he shouts it out though. Then you also need to make sure you read Slaughterhouse 5 and Catch-22 right after each other. It's like the same experience just with more satirical war-gritty awesomeness and less sci-fi dystopia (Treach's new found Valley Girl accent stays though)!

As for what I'm reading right now, its One Flew Over the Cuckoo Nest. Not sure I like it, all the women are either stone cold bitches or whores, and the black men are sadistic sodomists. Plus the setting is a mental hospital, already scary, and made even more so by the POV of the narrator/main character.

I read that last year for summer reading. I actually quite liked it (well, at least in comparison to the other shit they made us read). It's real weird in the beginning, but give it time. It gets better as you go along.

#71 I_KNOW_ALL

I_KNOW_ALL

The lovechild of Master Roshi and Majin Buu.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • Interests:Figgin Anime!, Gaming, and Music.

Posted 05 August 2011 - 11:15 PM

I just read the Elder Scrolls Book ---> The Infernal City

It's pretty good.

#72 TheJ0ke

TheJ0ke

Nuked the fridge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 12:39 AM

Why can't James Joyce write more like the folks on Shmoop?

#73 shellsbut

shellsbut

Nuking the site from orbit

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 03:05 AM

well to start just read up on it as it states it is a step below TOAA by various sources and the writer Starlin stated the same afterward. So again nice effort doing nothing. Oh and it was also stated Thanos was being guided something greater acorrding to Starlin in interview.
Also the end of the series made all events in the series null and void. It never happened anyway.

Just picked up watchers for a read. I saw the movie ages ago and found out it was based on a Dean Koontz novel. THe book is quite good.

#74 AVP vs The Terminator

AVP vs The Terminator

Will never see the Adult Board

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 11,068 posts
  • Interests:Comics. Movies. Video Games. TV.

Posted 06 August 2011 - 05:34 AM

Just finished The Tommyknockers by Stephen King. I didn't enjoy it as much as the other King novels I've read. Best part was the IT reference (Pennywise lives! <_<).

#75 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 07:41 AM

Mandatory practice, not mandatory reading. If we read it, we'll be tempted to think for ourselves. We only get to read the Newspeak version. As for J0ke, I don't know how many times I've said that I don't read books without pictures. Ivan is the intellectual, I'm the fledgling dictator. I've already cut off six wive's heads and punched one (just ask Tarv).

Tarv is the nice guy. Landon is the Main Character. The rest of us are just living in his world.

#76 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:26 AM

Brave New World is amazing. It's almost the entire reason I started actually reading some books for English class. Well, that and I started second semester junior year with an F. However, it forced me to read Grapes of Wrath, The Great Gatsby, The Sun Also Rises, The Things They Carried, Slaughterhouse Five, Fahrenheit 451, and The Color Purple. The first two are simply amazing books, I could have passed on TSAR and TCP was also quite good. TTTC and Fahrenheit were amazing, while I think most of Slaughterhouse was over my head, in that I kind of didn't want to read it, just pass the grade. Crime and Punishment would be better if it was 300 pages shorter. I'm a lazy kid, I don't want to read all that fine print. Ethan Frome was quite enjoyable. Heart of Darkness can go burn in hell. I should reread Fatelessness, Metamorphosis should burn in hell, and that's all I remember for senior year.

But favorite book ever? Still Once A Runner. It's a book after my own heart, that is.

#77 force_echo

force_echo

Pretentious, Obnoxious, Annoying...humanity's last hope

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,750 posts
  • Interests:Anything Interesting

Posted 06 August 2011 - 09:50 AM

Ethan Frome was enjoyable? If enjoyable means boring and madly deppressing, then yeah, it was pretty enjoyable.

#78 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:02 AM

I can't believe you all read those books the school system (Big Brother) told you to read. I didn't start reading until last year and look how I turned out. (Thought Criminal)

War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strength

Posted Image

#79 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 10:38 AM

Who controls the past now, controls the future.
Who controls the present now, controls the past.

NOW TESTIFY!

I also loved the way that James Joyce wrote. I should reread "Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man". As for Ethan Frome, I like dark things. Let Me In? One of my favorite movies ever.

#80 Djgambrell

Djgambrell

Meh.

• Members
  • 5,989 posts

Posted 06 August 2011 - 01:20 PM

I' just finished The Name of the Wind and A Wise Mans Fear by Paul Rothfuss, anybody else read them?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users