• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#41 boston_celtics

boston_celtics

Released the Kraken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Interests:If I had any, why would I be on this site?

Posted 13 April 2010 - 04:53 PM

I'm in the middle of reading Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys. Who knew Neil Gaiman was funny? Great book.

"It was rumored that there was going to be a movie adaptation of Anansi Boys (from the radio play), but the "moviemakers wanted to change the lead black characters to white or drop the magical elements altogether". Gaiman claimed not to need the money, "Not needing the money puts me in a magical place because I can say no. I like the idea of having good movies made or having no movies made."[9]

On 9th April 2010, Gaiman updated his Twitter feed with, "Anansi Boys script starting to look a bit more like a script."

Good man. Keep your pride, ethics and integrity about you.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes! All right, finally, a REAL Gaiman movie!

Still wish it was American Gods though...

#42 Hugo Fowl

Hugo Fowl

I am One with the Ferret.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,162 posts
  • Interests:Discworld, Hellsing, Kingdom Hearts, writing, RP's, drama, etc.

Posted 16 April 2010 - 01:42 AM

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes! All right, finally, a REAL Gaiman movie!

Still wish it was American Gods though...

I was actually holding out for a Good Omens movie....Ah well.

#43 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:41 PM

Currently reading Dune. The original. Never saw the old 80's movie. Never saw the T.V. shows. Never read any of the books. Figured why not. Also still reading H.R. Lovecraft stuff...currently, the Shunned House.

#44 Tarvius

Tarvius

Ironwolverorschach Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:18 PM

Good to see this thread getting resurrected. I'm currently reading "What If: Eminent Historians Imagine What Might Have Been". All in all its very interesting. It really is amazing how one moment can effect the rest of history. Had things been only slightly different in countless instances in history the world would be vastly different. Plus unlike most historical novels this book is written by at least a dozen different authors, and none of them are shy about giving their opinion. As of right now, I'm reading a section regarding some of the "What Ifs" of the American Civil War including, "What if the Union Army won at the first battle of Bull Run and forced the Confederate Army to flee?" (The exact opposite happened). The author basically concludes that the war would have been over in '61, and the union restored with slavery in the south remaining in tact. Now I'm writing a piece regarding General Robert E. Lee's counter-factual victory at the Seven Days battle. The history nut in me is going crazy.

#45 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 03 July 2010 - 10:28 PM

Because I refuse to let this section die...I'm reading Patriot Acts by Greg Rucka. Yes, it's good. The end.

#46 LegendX

LegendX

Part of the Rag-Tag Fugitive Fleet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • Interests:MMA, pro wrestling, muscle cars, sport bikes, pitbulls, Star Wars, Star Trek, hip hop, stand-up comedy and the philosophy of pointlessly, useless stuff.

Posted 04 July 2010 - 01:59 AM

I'm currently about mid way through the second book of the Fate of the Jedi series (Omen).
I was thinking about reading the Dune books... where do I start with that series?

#47 Guest_Ivan_*

Guest_Ivan_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2010 - 04:45 AM

I was thinking about reading the Dune books... where do I start with that series?

Umm... "Dune" is a good start.

#48 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:48 AM

Man And Superman is amazing. Even Act 3. That is all.

#49 LegendX

LegendX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts
  • Interests:MMA, pro wrestling, muscle cars, sport bikes, pitbulls, Star Wars, Star Trek, hip hop, stand-up comedy and the philosophy of pointlessly, useless stuff.

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:08 AM

Umm... "Dune" is a good start.

My community library didn't have one titled just "Dune", they're all "Dune - something or other". That was why I asked. Wasn't sure if the first had a subtitle or not.
So... guess I'll have to buy that one. Thanks.

#50 He who fights monsters

He who fights monsters

I am One with the Ferret.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 4,600 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 12:03 PM

I prefer non-fiction to fiction. One book I'd like to read is "Chariots of the Gods?" by Erich von Daniken. I also love to read the writings of Stephen Hawking.

#51 WereWolf

WereWolf

To Some Extent Correct

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 12:30 PM

Just a quick laugh at Tarvius for casually mentioning reading the Inferno. The Divine Comedy is not something you casually read. However, if you have any interest in reading good books in the future, I highly recommend both the Divine Comedy and Paradise Lost. Two works of poetry that are alluded to more than just about anything besides the Bible and the works of Shakespeare.

That being said, over the past week I read:

Young Romantics: The Tangled Lives of English Poetry's Greatest Generation, by Daisy Hays.

I already had an interest in the subject, seeing as how Second Generation English Romantic poets are kind of my thing, but it's a very interesting book. Easy to read, I would recommend it to someone looking for some non-fiction. It's about the group of poets and intellectuals that developed around Leigh Hunt and Percy Bysshe Shelley during their lifetimes.

The Bell Jar, by Sylvia Plath

A quick read, following a young woman's descent into madness. Very much worth reading.

The Day After Tomorrow, by Robert A. Heinlein

No relation to the movie. This is very much a Heinlein book, complete with rampant Jingoism, religious philosophy, and a bit of racism thrown in for fun. I love it, but if you don't love Heinlein you won't enjoy this. Not his best book by far. Only one for Heinlein enthusiasts.

Also, Dune is great. I read all the Frank Herbert novels and enjoyed each one, though I wouldn't fault anyone for not going all the way.

#52 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 01:26 PM

My community library didn't have one titled just "Dune", they're all "Dune - something or other". That was why I asked. Wasn't sure if the first had a subtitle or not.
So... guess I'll have to buy that one. Thanks.

the complete books of Dune.

#53 LegendX

LegendX

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:24 PM

the complete books of Dune.

Correction... I'll have to buy those ONES.

Thanks Treach.

#54 Maestro

Maestro

Extraordinary gentleman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:12 AM

I just read the Persepolis comics. Got 'em from the library. They tell the true story of a family of dissenters against the religious order, who survived the Iranian Revolution. Excellent. I'd rate them among the best comics I've read.

The description of "true life historical comic" probably makes you think of Maus, and it really is on par with that.

There's also an animated film adaptation, which is probably pretty good too, though I haven't seen it.

#55 Maestro

Maestro

Extraordinary gentleman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:19 AM

The Day After Tomorrow, by Robert A. Heinlein

No relation to the movie. This is very much a Heinlein book, complete with rampant Jingoism, religious philosophy, and a bit of racism thrown in for fun. I love it, but if you don't love Heinlein you won't enjoy this. Not his best book by far. Only one for Heinlein enthusiasts.

I enjoyed that one, too. It's sort of a funny experience simultaneously enjoying a book for its juvenile fun-value and for the fun of laughing at its outdated attitudes and fatuous racism.

#56 Maestro

Maestro

Extraordinary gentleman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:27 AM

I prefer non-fiction to fiction. One book I'd like to read is "Chariots of the Gods?" by Erich von Daniken. I also love to read the writings of Stephen Hawking.

I read that one a long time ago. Terrible.

#57 Shockwave

Shockwave

Herr Han Shot first.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts
  • Interests:Video games, movies, writing

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:42 PM

I'm trying to find this "Surviving Retail" Book that my manager told me about. Said it's funny as hell.

#58 sirmethos

sirmethos

A Man of the People

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,142 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 06:44 PM

currently (re-)reading A Time To Die. by Wilbur Smith.

next on the list(if i can find it <.<) is Clan of the Cavebear. by Jean M. Auel

if i can't find that one, then i'll see which David Eddings book i haven't left at my dads place.

#59 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 06:43 AM

Just finished the Simillirian or however it's spelled. I can't decide whether I wasted a big chunk of my life or not.

#60 Ruinus

Ruinus

Plebiscite Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,154 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Guilty Gear, Guns N' Roses, astronomy, school, English, reading, science fiction, drawing, video games and playing guitar.

Posted 11 October 2010 - 10:58 AM

Re-reading:
H.G. Well's War of the Worlds, Robert A. Heinlein's Starship Troopers and John Steakley's Armor, since those three are my favorite books of all time. I started to re-read the Warhammer 40,000: Last Chancer Omnibus, but it's too long for me to enjoy it again.

About to read:
H. G. Well's First Men on the Moon, and I'm going to ask a friend to lend me all of Iain Bank's Culture novels, since I started Look to Windward and Consider Phlebas but never finished them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users