• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#21 videogameman

videogameman

Part of the Rag-Tag Fugitive Fleet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Interests:Video games, literature, Anime/Manga, Western animation ie. Cartoons, and your momma!

Posted 30 December 2009 - 12:16 PM

I'm currently reading "Sub 4:00", a book about Alan Webb. Next on my list are Pre, Coaching Cross Country, Lord of the Star Wars, and books that I've put down and never finished.

Fixed.

#22 Shockwave

Shockwave

Herr Han Shot first.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts
  • Interests:Video games, movies, writing

Posted 30 December 2009 - 08:34 PM

Sherlock Holmes volume 1 (aka, the first bunch of the books) and then volume 2

Then after that, A Connecticut Yankee in King Authors' Court by Mark Twain

After that, Dante's Inferno (btw, did you know that they are making this into a video game?)

#23 Tarvius

Tarvius

Ironwolverorschach Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 09:19 PM

After that, Dante's Inferno (btw, did you know that they are making this into a video game?)

I really need to get around to reading this. Of course there's about two dozen other "classics" that I should read as well, but this one seems especially promising.

"Abandon all hope ye who buy this game."

#24 Rhekarid

Rhekarid

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:16 PM

More accurately, they are making the NAME into a video game which, aside from involving Hell, has little to do with the book.

#25 boston_celtics

boston_celtics

Released the Kraken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Interests:If I had any, why would I be on this site?

Posted 30 December 2009 - 10:17 PM

More accurately, they are making the NAME into a video game which, aside from involving Hell, has little to do with the book.

Damn it.

#26 Skirmisher

Skirmisher

Field Marshal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,026 posts
  • Interests:The Halo Universe, Warhammer Fantasy and 40K, Deconstructing the Hype of Star Wars, Still Like Star Wars though...

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:30 PM

I think Penny Arcade has it covered fairly well...

http://www.penny-arc...mic/2009/12/16/

#27 Sir Exal

Sir Exal

Still Here, somehow.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Interests:Promising myself I'll change and then never doing it.

Posted 31 December 2009 - 12:49 AM

Just finished Death Star, by Steve Perry and Michael Reaves. If you liked A New Hope even a little bit, you owe it to yourself to read it.

#28 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 31 December 2009 - 03:48 PM

You know what. I'm going to break my (fake) vow to not read books without pictures. I'm becoming interested in the Lovecraft stories. I know a few of the old gang on here used to do some Lovecraft RPs. I know Cthulhu keeps losing in the CBUB, which from what I've read shouldn't be too easy a feat. I know a lot from my own research, but I've never read one of his books. Looks like it's time for a library break.

#29 Landon

Landon

The Main Character

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 04:11 PM

Cthulhu loses because people think he got destroyed by a boat hitting him. He had yet to be fully summoned at tht point, so the summoning was interrupted. The CBUB kiddies can't comprehend this concept, they just say "OMG Cthulhu got hit by a boat, so Batman can beat him!"

That said, Lovecraft's actual writing isn't all that great. It's more about the ideas than any sort of writing talent he possessed. You'd get the same experience by reading one of the Cthulhu RPG books, where you get all of the good quotes without any of the other stuff that bogs down his stories.

#30 Shockwave

Shockwave

Herr Han Shot first.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts
  • Interests:Video games, movies, writing

Posted 31 December 2009 - 04:12 PM

hmm..... please tell me more of this.

#31 Landon

Landon

The Main Character

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 04:21 PM

Clips of Inferno's gameplay are easy to come across. Check youtube or one of the major video game websites. The clips tell you way more than anything we could describe. And, yeah, it has little to do with the original story other than "dude goes to hell."

#32 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 05:09 PM

That said, Lovecraft's actual writing isn't all that great. It's more about the ideas than any sort of writing talent he possessed.

Ah, high concept - low writing skill...much like myself. I might like it. Thanks for the start.

#33 KillerCroc10

KillerCroc10

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:20 AM

Once I'm done reading Cryptid. These will be the next books I'll be reading in order.

Posted Image

There's a movie base off this. Anyway this is about a bear that has been mutated by pollution in the environment and begins killing people.

Posted Image

This one is about a relict population of Titanis birds being discovered in a unexplored area of florida and they have evolved to have near human intelligence which was why no one was ever able to find them until now. And the main characters try their best to protect them now that they have been discovered by man.

Posted Image

Its about Bigfoot killing people after a group of careless campers start a forest fire which kills Bigfoot's tribe including his mate and offspring. So angry at them that he starts killing people as an act of revenge.

#34 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 11:21 AM

Just started At the Mountains of Madness. I'm reading again, I'm so proud of me. Couldn't find the RP books without buying them. We'll see.

#35 videogameman

videogameman

Part of the Rag-Tag Fugitive Fleet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Interests:Video games, literature, Anime/Manga, Western animation ie. Cartoons, and your momma!

Posted 01 January 2010 - 03:44 PM

Rereading Mad At the Movies and started the DC Encyclopedia.

#36 Hugo Fowl

Hugo Fowl

I am One with the Ferret.

• Members
  • 7,162 posts
  • Interests:Discworld, Hellsing, Kingdom Hearts, writing, RP's, drama, etc.

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:45 PM

I just finished my Sherlock Holmes collection. Now I just finished The Improbable stories of Sherlock Holmes. Basically, its a collection of Holmes stories written by some of the more notable authors(Neil Gaimen, Stephen King, etc...). Its also got me hooked onto Lovecraft stories with its crossovers.

Sherlock Holmes + HP Lovecraft= AWESOMENESS.

#37 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:24 AM

Lovecraft's At the Mountains of Madness assessment (so far):
Dislikes - Slow build. Very Slow build. It has a slow crawl that makes me want to skip ahead to the good parts. Over descriptive. I know a lot of you like descriptive and I do to a certain degree, but I only need so much to get the point. I have a vivid imagination. Once you give me so much, I can run with it. Lovecraft spends most of a chapter describing the peculiarity of a mountain range...boring.

Likes - I do like the mystery. Lovecraft knows what fear is...it is in the unknown. I am extremely anxious to know what is behind the Madness at the Mountains. He builds a good tension. Very good. I like how he tells us the Mountain is so crazy he dare not describe it and then does anyway. I really wish there was a necronomicon to read now. Then again...

#38 Soberguy

Soberguy

Kneel before Zod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 05:46 PM

buks r 4 n3rdz lolololol watchtv!!11!!

#39 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:35 PM

Finished At the Mountains of Madness...I understand now. He was a visionary: the first to introduce such things at a time period when horror was all about witches and ghosts. I had to get out my big old words dictionary, but Melikey. I will be reading more. Lovecraft was the creator of the original Galactus.

#40 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:18 AM

I'm in the middle of reading Neil Gaiman's Anansi Boys. Who knew Neil Gaiman was funny? Great book.

"It was rumored that there was going to be a movie adaptation of Anansi Boys (from the radio play), but the "moviemakers wanted to change the lead black characters to white or drop the magical elements altogether". Gaiman claimed not to need the money, "Not needing the money puts me in a magical place because I can say no. I like the idea of having good movies made or having no movies made."[9]

On 9th April 2010, Gaiman updated his Twitter feed with, "Anansi Boys script starting to look a bit more like a script."

Good man. Keep your pride, ethics and integrity about you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users