32 replies to this topic

#21 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 02:26 PM

And dont give me that crap about batman having mastered 127 fighting cause it doesnt matter. Cap wins

Doesn't that matter a lot? Knowing just about every martial arts style should matter if your opponent knows like 5. One martial arts style has weak points and strong points that can exploit the same on another style. So knowing a lot of styles does matter.

#22 Skirmisher

Skirmisher

Field Marshal

• Members
  • 5,026 posts
  • Interests:The Halo Universe, Warhammer Fantasy and 40K, Deconstructing the Hype of Star Wars, Still Like Star Wars though...

Posted 24 December 2009 - 07:47 PM

Doesn't that matter a lot? Knowing just about every martial arts style should matter if your opponent knows like 5. One martial arts style has weak points and strong points that can exploit the same on another style. So knowing a lot of styles does matter.

Not really, Look at the UFC. Only two things really matter in a Real Fight, Striking and Grappling. Knowing only 5 martial arts would actually be better than 1337 martial arts if those 5 are some good ones, like Muay Thai, Jujitsu, Aikido, etc.

A good Martial Artist combines all the good and throws out the bad. A Bad Martial Artist crams his head full of useless Kata and Forms.

#23 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 08:22 PM

Not really, Look at the UFC. Only two things really matter in a Real Fight, Striking and Grappling. Knowing only 5 martial arts would actually be better than 1337 martial arts if those 5 are some good ones, like Muay Thai, Jujitsu, Aikido, etc.

A good Martial Artist combines all the good and throws out the bad. A Bad Martial Artist crams his head full of useless Kata and Forms.

This IS Batman, so I'm going to assume he can combine 127 forms into some super combat style.

#24 boston_celtics

boston_celtics

Released the Kraken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Interests:If I had any, why would I be on this site?

Posted 24 December 2009 - 08:30 PM

This is why CBUB gives me conniptions, because people who know even less than I do about comics argue like they know what they're talking about. Surely the more interesting discussion is "which way would ________ write it?" Fill in that blank with any popular comic writer who has penned both characters: Grant Morrison, Mark Waid, Kurt Busiek etc.

What would that have to do with the purpose of the board, which is fights between characters?

Cap would probably floor Batman with one shot from his shield. So he does that, smack him with his shield.

#25 Dark Ranger X

Dark Ranger X

Sergeant Sergeant Master Sergeant shooter person!

• Moderators
  • 9,014 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 11:25 PM

What would that have to do with the purpose of the board, which is fights between characters?

Cap would probably floor Batman with one shot from his shield. So he does that, smack him with his shield.

You'd probably find that Batman would be agile enough to dodge any shield throw. That, and I can't see Cap fighting WITH his shield against Batman; not having the second arm free would be a massive hindrance. Remember, Bats is hardly a street-level fighter, so Cap would need the second arm to block, counter, re-direct, etc.

Of all the times I've seen Batman/Cap fights in crossovers, they've been stalemates, and that's with no equipment. Just Bruce vs Steve Rogers. I do remember seeing one where Steve was eventually knocked out by a torrent of water forcing his head into a sewer grate or something.

...and before you Marvel fans whine or whatever, this is the same comic that Wolverine beat Lobo in hand to hand. So don't go saying "oh that's bs!"

When all is said and done, It's as Landon said. They're both equal enough that only a plot device would decide a victor, and thinking anything else would be fanboyism.

#26 boston_celtics

boston_celtics

Released the Kraken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 11:30 PM

You'd probably find that Batman would be agile enough to dodge any shield throw. That, and I can't see Cap fighting WITH his shield against Batman; not having the second arm free would be a massive hindrance. Remember, Bats is hardly a street-level fighter, so Cap would need the second arm to block, counter, re-direct, etc.

Of all the times I've seen Batman/Cap fights in crossovers, they've been stalemates, and that's with no equipment. Just Bruce vs Steve Rogers. I do remember seeing one where Steve was eventually knocked out by a torrent of water forcing his head into a sewer grate or something.

...and before you Marvel fans whine or whatever, this is the same comic that Wolverine beat Lobo in hand to hand. So don't go saying "oh that's bs!"

When all is said and done, It's as Landon said. They're both equal enough that only a plot device would decide a victor, and thinking anything else would be fanboyism.

I was just playing Devil's Advocate here, since this match has been done too many times.

Batman could probably remote control the Bat-Mobile to run over Cap.

#27 Dark Ranger X

Dark Ranger X

• Moderators
  • 9,014 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 11:33 PM

I was just playing Devil's Advocate here, since this match has been done too many times.

Batman could probably remote control the Bat-Mobile to run over Cap.

Ah, righto, no worries. Wasn't meaning to insinuate anything, because you're hardly a fanboy anyway Boston.

As for the Batmobile, well, he used it to knock out Bane in Arkham Asylum so why not?

#28 Ghost Tiger

Ghost Tiger

Released the Kraken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts
  • Interests:Comics<br />Sports<br />Fitness<br />History<br />Writing<br />Literature<br />Music

Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:28 AM

I like how I originally said it...but Landon is credited with it ^_^

#29 Dark Ranger X

Dark Ranger X

• Moderators
  • 9,014 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 02:04 AM

When all is said and done, it's as Ghost Tiger and Landon said. They're both equal enough that only a plot device would decide a victor, and thinking anything else would be fanboyism.

Fixed ^_^

#30 Guest_Ivan_*

Guest_Ivan_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2009 - 03:02 AM

I love how people retreat behind the "but that's not what the CBUB is ABOUT" argument any time I suggest improving the conversation. That's like saying the thread title is Can Batman beat Captain America? so every response should just be a "yes" or "no." Anyone who wrote anything other than "yes" or "no" is sending this thread off-topic, because "that's not what the Can Batman beat Captain America? thread is about."

#31 boston_celtics

boston_celtics

Released the Kraken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 03:49 AM

If everybody went around "improving" topics to outside what they were originally about, because they found the topic dull, then this site wouldn't have lasted this long.

There are separate boards for discussions on writers and such.

And, for the record, I only deviate from topic when somebody else does.

#32 Guest_Ivan_*

Guest_Ivan_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2009 - 12:16 PM

There are separate boards for discussions on writers and such.

Not on electricferret.com there aren't. I'm not going to go start another topic at CSBG or CA because those people didn't already have the first part of that discussion. The original point I was trying to make, just like Landon, was that this particular fight has not only been done time and time again (including in actual comic book format,) and the fighters are so evenly matched that the discussion should naturally become cerebral. Even if the fight was, say, "Mordru vs Cthon," which we really haven't seen before, when a fight is relatively even, it should transcend arguments about powers. Simply because most of CBUB refuses to move beyond the first level of a conversation, I don't see that as a reason to defend that habit. People on the other sites I've mentioned earlier always mock the CBUB boards as a wasteland of rabid, uninformed fanboys with bad grammar and worse taste. Usually I just laugh and agree, but CBUB's association means that people avoid the FPL, which has always bothered me... I can't "sell" the FPL to people who would enjoy it because they hear "electricferret" and they think it's all "omg Goku ftw *uncreative* *fake word* lawlz."

So, that just turned into a rant. Sorry about that. Ahem.

The definitive answer is "Yes, Batman CAN beat Captain America." It is a possibility.

#33 Acecool

Acecool

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 08:22 PM

My friend Hugo said that Captain America can beat Batman
is that true?

Is it possible for Batman to beat Captain America? Absolutely. That being said, the likelihood isn't a slam dunk by any means. In fact cap will probably take the majority simply because his shield negates most of batman's toys and Cap is much more likely to use deadly force if need be.

If this a death match in which both characters go all out, I still give this to cap. Even if all else is equal, he is still stronger and faster.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users