Photo

The first crew vs crew match... finally

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

Poll: Vote for the Winner (5 member(s) have cast votes)

Winner of Dogfight Mission

1. KevinDWolf93 (1 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

2. NovaForceNova (4 votes [80.00%])

Percentage of vote: 80.00%

Winner of Ground Fight Mission

1. KevinDWolf93 (4 votes [80.00%])

2. NovaForceNova (1 votes [20.00%])

Winner of Slavage Mission

1. KevinDWolf93 (1 votes [20.00%])

2. NovaForceNova (4 votes [80.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Zreth

Zreth

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:01 PM

and?

Yeah you beat Kevin in that as well.

#22 Nova Force Nova

Nova Force Nova

Deadpan Snarker

• CBUB Character Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,957 posts
  • Interests:Interesting stuff.

Posted 22 December 2009 - 10:02 PM

Whoo! 2 points for my team.

#23 KevinDWolf93

KevinDWolf93

A fluffy puppy with a heart of gold!

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 12,353 posts
  • Interests:Mythology and other lore, reading, writing, Werewolves/wolves, weapons, science fiction, fighting, 19th/20th century literature (ex. Moby Dick, Call of the Wild, Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:47 PM

Fair enough.

Carth
Sergeant Johnson
Vadum
Lighter-than-some
Fox
Cortana
Julian Bashir

Gene Starwind
Clone Gunner
Arbiter
Chewbacca
R2-D2
ODST medic

#24 KevinDWolf93

KevinDWolf93

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 12,353 posts
  • Interests:Mythology and other lore, reading, writing, Werewolves/wolves, weapons, science fiction, fighting, 19th/20th century literature (ex. Moby Dick, Call of the Wild, Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:48 PM

Uh, can I have the reasoning?

#25 Nova Force Nova

Nova Force Nova

Deadpan Snarker

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 14,957 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 08:55 PM

Gene Starwind
Clone Gunner
Arbiter
Chewbacca
R2-D2
ODST medic

I fail to see how your team can overpower mine, considering two of your team are just a generic clone trooper and ODST, respectively.

#26 KevinDWolf93

KevinDWolf93

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 12,353 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 12:43 AM

I fail to see how your team can overpower mine, considering two of your team are just a generic clone trooper and ODST, respectively.

True, but they are exceptional soldiers, both with fairly powerful loadouts. As for the rest:

Gene is decent h2h, and has a crap load of firearms(ranging from small arms to explosives) on him at most times, yet his biggest draw is a single gun...THAT SHOOTS MAGIC!!!

Arbiter is...the arbiter

While flying is wedges specialty blasterfire work is more than decent.

Chewbaccas bowcaster is deadly...him is close combat is deadlier

R2 will kick you...and itll be funny.

And I dont wanna get back into an argument with anakin

Thats weapons. As I did say they can out gun you. Tactics are a wholenother story

#27 Nova Force Nova

Nova Force Nova

Deadpan Snarker

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 14,957 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 12:54 AM

True, but they are exceptional soldiers, both with fairly powerful loadouts. As for the rest:

Gene is decent h2h, and has a crap load of firearms(ranging from small arms to explosives) on him at most times, yet his biggest draw is a single gun...THAT SHOOTS MAGIC!!!

Arbiter is...the arbiter

While flying is wedges specialty blasterfire work is more than decent.

Chewbaccas bowcaster is deadly...him is close combat is deadlier

R2 will kick you...and itll be funny.

And I dont wanna get back into an argument with anakin

Thats weapons. As I did say they can out gun you. Tactics are a wholenother story

Carth has fought Sith and lived. I mean actually gone head to head with them. Not to mention killing one of the most famous bounty hunters of the time. Hell of a pilot.
Vadum knows Arbiter and has access to the same weapons. Kicks a$$ on a regular basis.
Johnson's a bada$$. He's 82 and he can still whup just about anybody.
Fox...is Fox.
Cortana...need i say more?
Lighter-than-some can fix ANYTHING.
Bashir is Bashir.

#28 Skirmisher

Skirmisher

Field Marshal

• Members
  • 5,026 posts
  • Interests:The Halo Universe, Warhammer Fantasy and 40K, Deconstructing the Hype of Star Wars, Still Like Star Wars though...

Posted 26 December 2009 - 04:18 AM

The fight takes place in an asteroid field much like the one Han Solo escapes into to hide from the star destroyers.

Posted Image

In this mission several members may not have much to do. For example, obviously the fighter is not going to be using his hand held weapons against another ship while flying through space. The main things to consider are the skills of the pilots, the gunners, and the mechanics.

Topics
Captaining: Revan vs Anakin
Piloting: Carth vs Wedge
Machanicing: L-T-S vs Chewy
Gunning: Fox vs Clone
Electronic Warfare...ing: Cortana vs R2-D2
Boarding Action?

Here I would have the Say that although Revan is supposed to be nigh godly with the Force, Anakin is the Chosen one who's supposed to bring it balance. In my mind that would at least "Balance" the two in terms of ability. As Both can also draw upon both the light and dark side to assist them they should cancel each other out. Since these two are not actually flying the ship, it would fall only to their leadership skills and tactical knowledge, and here Revan wins. Anakin is a Lead from the front kind of leader, whatever he is doing he has to be in the thick of it to form a good stratagy and being stuck in a chair will be little help to him. Revan on the other hand has lead whole armies into battle, something that can't be done with just "Lead from the front" bravado. Revan wins this round.

Hmm, Piloting. Carth is supposed to be the best pilot out there, and I can't find anything to disagree with that statement. And Wedge is no slouch behind a throttle. But, Wedge is more used to nimble snub fighters than Lumbering... (what kind of ship?) ... Oh well, whatever they're piloting, it'll be bigger than a fighter and that will be a minus on Wedge. Carth however has experience piloting larger craft like the Ebon Hawk. So in my mind Carth wins this battle.

Lighter than Some vs Chewy? No contest, an Engineer could strip a car down and reassemble it into a fighter jet in only a couple hours if it really wanted to... Chewy can barely manage to keep the Falcon in one piece... LTS wins.

Unfortunately for Fox, in the CBUB we throw out Character Shields. This would mean that while Fox is a good all around fighter/pilot/Furry Han Solo... A guy who was bread and trained for all of his life for a specific job of being a gunner should have an advantage. This round goes to the Clone.

Here is a tricky fight. Cortana is a Perfect Hacker, designed and "Trained" for the job, she also doubles as the perfect Eyes and Ears of the ships since she can interpret all the sensor data as if she were the ship. She can then convey this necessary data to her crew just by telling them, and all of this is Natural to her. This Naturalness would greatly enhance the running of the ship in such a crises, and the fact that she's a Smart AI would mean that given all the relevant data of the Sensors they would have less than a 1% chance of actually hitting an Asteroid. R2-D2 suffers from having a very sub par body. First he has to Hook Up to the ship in order to find any useful data from it, dangerous if the ship is rocked and his up-link thingy is snapped, and annoying if he has to keep hooking up every time they dodge an asteroid. Then there is the fact that he is not naturally apart of the ship, and has to communicate with it to gather useful data about their situation, a definite lag time for relevant info. And lastly, R2 has to print what he says for the crew to understand him... Not good when the Pilot has to keep his eyes on the screens ahead of him. Cortana wins this round.

---------------------------------------------------------

Lastly, if in doubt ram and take over! Seeing as how team NFN is the better in Space, Team KDW lead by the Reckless Anakin would probably try and eliminate this advantage. This would bring in the people that usually wouldn't get to fight in a Space only battle as well.

First off, as I said before Anakin and Revan should be a balanced match, so they are negated in this situation since strategy and tactics are kind of out the window with an attack like this.

Carth may have taken on Jedi and Sith, but that can either be done with PIS or very good reflexes, and since Star Wars runs on PIS (I can seriously name a half dozen examples from the films alone) I'm guessing it's that. Wedge however has run a small commando group in the X-Wing novels, I'm sure that he is either Equal to Carth or actually a little better than him in combat.

Here is where Chewy gets his revenge, an engineer may be a god in fixing a machine but he's little better than chewing gum to a pissed off Wookiee.

Fox with his better combat sense would win this fight against the clone, that an I think that Star Fox characters actually have some form of personal shielding, whereas a Clone does not.

Avery vs Arbiter, Good fight, would like to see, but I see the arbiters shields, cloak, superior strength and speed, and superior weapons giving him the advantage.

ODST vs Bashir... Really? I pick the Battle Hardened, Trained to be Badass Soldier against Star Fleet anyday... but a Phaser is a very nasty weapon... the question is "does he have a phaser".

Cortana against R2 in a straight up fight... Cortana nukes the trash can... but if she can't leave the ship then that leaves R2 to help someone else, then again he may just get torn to shreds by a pissed off Wookiee.

Finally Rtas vs Gene... I say Gene, but if he lets Rtas get close then he'd lose the fight, that may actually happen, as the Elite is a Special Opps Commando, who may or may not actually have a Cloak built into his armour.

In the end, I see Team NFN winning in space battle, but if they get Boarded Team KDW would win the War.

I'll post my analysis of the other battles later.

#29 zig7

zig7

SPOOOON!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 03:42 PM

Hey, sorry about the disappearing act, but it was close to Christmas and all.

Here is my thoughts on the ship. While the type of ship will obviously be a factor in the dogfight mission, I do not want a team to win just because one story's universe's ships are that much better than another universe's ships or because of different standards of size / firepower / ect... That argument has been going on for a while in the battlefleets topic in the character chat section.

Therefore I would prefer the ships to be roughly equivalent. Lets just use the Millennium Falcon as a base for size which can comfortably fit the eight crew members. However below I have suggested a way to buff the ship.

Here is what I think might work out best, and feel free suggest tweaks or a whole different solution.
You may pick one piece of technology per person from their respective universes. So if you have two Star Wars characters, then you can pick two pieces of tech from Star Wars.

Of course these would have to be things that the character could conceivably have access to; legal or otherwise. For example, if the version of the character you are using lived before the tech was invented or after the tech was forgotten or lost, then you cannot use it.

Also, these tech pieces must be produced in mass quantities. This is to stop people from picking something crazy powerful which is either so rare or so restricted that the character would probably never get a hold of one except through plot devices. For example, if i recall correctly, someone picked a transformer and he could not pick the matrix of leadership as his tech since it is one of a kind and you could not explain how his transformer got it without telling a story.

Thirdly, all these pieces of tech must be cartable by no more than two (very strong but not super humanly strong) people. I put in this rule to keep people from picking a tank or some other piece of artillery or whatever. Two people might be able to lift a medium sized turret or something but that is all. The exception to this rule is that you may use one of your picks to upgrade one part of your ship. This pick must come from your either your Capitan, your pilot, or your mechanic. However you do not have to upgrade your ship and instead use all your picks for other crew gear.

Fourthly, you cannot pick something which would count as another crew member. This is mainly referring to other droids or robots or whatever. Nothing which could function independently of human instructions. This does not limit various computerized weapons. You could use a turret which will shoot at specific targets automatically, but not a turret which could decide itself which targets to shoot at and which to leave alone.

Finally, you only get one piece of whatever tech you choose. For example, if you wanted to pick that gravity armor thing which stops normal troops from getting thrown by the force (don't remember what it is called) then you only get one. However the crew member who picked it is not necessarily the one who has to use it. You could give everything to one person or a few people and leave the rest of your crew with the gear that they have the majority of the time.

As said above, keep in mind that your crew members DO start off with the gear that they have THE MAJORITY OF THE TIME.

Please try not to take advantage of any unfair loop holes you may find in my rules. I am not super familiar with all the universes present in all the crews, and it could very easily happen.

Also, these picks are for all three missions. You do not get to pick new equipement from one mission to another.

I realize that the addition of this new rule might change your ideal team, but we are too far locked into our choices now to change anything. To be honest I think this rule might hurt my team a lot, since I am using four from dune, and three from Star Wars.

What do you guys think of this? Is this a fair addition?

#30 Skirmisher

Skirmisher

Field Marshal

• Members
  • 5,026 posts
  • Interests:The Halo Universe, Warhammer Fantasy and 40K, Deconstructing the Hype of Star Wars, Still Like Star Wars though...

Posted 26 December 2009 - 04:04 PM

Crap... I liked My Ship though...

#31 zig7

zig7

SPOOOON!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 12:58 PM

I didn't even see that post before I made the suggestion. I would be willing to allow everyone to make their own ships if everyone was willing to put in the amount of work that Skirmisher did. Does everyone think they could do that within a week or so? I figure by then we will be done with this match and have the next two people picked out for the next match.

Also, there may be some confusion about the technology picks. I did not intend for all of them to be used on the ship, but I suppose if everyone is making their own ship then I guess I should allow it. However keep in mind that these picks are for ALL THREE missions. You don't get to pick new ones for the two missions which take place outside the ship. So a balanced approach might be best to give you an edge in the dogfight mission, but not so much of an edge that you suffer in the ground fight or salvage missions.

Or, if someone wanted to suggest it, we could consider allowing two technology picks per person. One to be used to upgrade the ship and one to be used for outside the ship fights.

#32 Nova Force Nova

Nova Force Nova

Deadpan Snarker

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 14,957 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:21 PM

ODST vs Bashir... Really? I pick the Battle Hardened, Trained to be Badass Soldier against Star Fleet anyday... but a Phaser is a very nasty weapon... the question is "does he have a phaser".

Yes he does.

#33 zig7

zig7

SPOOOON!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:50 PM

Ok, I've set up the poll for this rumble. Its my first poll so hopefully I did it right. Vote for who you think would win each match and the winner of two out of three will be the next Master of Ceremonies. He will pick the next two crews for the next rumble. Obviously these should not be himself or his opponent.

Please be absolutely sure of your decision. I will still be posting my response to the third mission, and I think some other people are also still going to post some other responses.

Also I would enjoy comments on how I could have improved things for future competitions.

Thanks

#34 Nova Force Nova

Nova Force Nova

Deadpan Snarker

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 14,957 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 11:29 PM

Ok, I've set up the poll for this rumble. Its my first poll so hopefully I did it right. Vote for who you think would win each match and the winner of two out of three will be the next Master of Ceremonies. He will pick the next two crews for the next rumble. Obviously these should not be himself or his opponent.

Please be absolutely sure of your decision. I will still be posting my response to the third mission, and I think some other people are also still going to post some other responses.

Also I would enjoy comments on how I could have improved things for future competitions.

Thanks

When will the poll end?

#35 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 05 January 2010 - 12:02 AM

This is one of the better put together tournaments I've seen on here. That's all.

#36 Guest_Ivan_*

Guest_Ivan_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2010 - 01:02 AM

Fox is Fox.
Bashir is Bashir.
etc

The dreaded objectivist axiom has made its way to CBUB.

#37 zig7

zig7

SPOOOON!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 03:33 AM

When will the poll end?

This will end this Saturday. I will be gone this weekend, but will be back on Sunday.

Then winner should go ahead and pick his next two crews to compete. Remember that you cannot pick either of the two people who just competed.

Basically just pm them to inform them and ask for strategies for each mission. Read them over, and ask for clarifications on anything which does not make sense, or anything which could be interpreted in different ways.

To the people who are picked next:

Remember to think of the various situations which might occur. It is perfectly fine to have conditional strategies (if this happens then I do this otherwise I do this unless this... ect...).

This is one of the better put together tournaments I've seen on here. That's all.

Thanks. I wish I could spend more time on it. I feel the only downfall is that it is a little complicated which makes things take a long time to happen. If there are any suggestions for streamlining the process I would be greatly interested in hearing them.

#38 zig7

zig7

SPOOOON!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 05:49 PM

Ok, I guess nobody else is going to vote, so it looks like Nova is the winner. Congratulations Nova and better luck next time Kevin. Now no hard feelings, I want the two of you to e-shake hands, cause it was a good match.

Now anyway, if everyone wants to continue this I would have Nova pick two more players to compete. Just ask them for their strategies through pms, and make sure they make sense and that there isn't anything ambiguous.

#39 KevinDWolf93

KevinDWolf93

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 12,353 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:43 PM

Good job Nova, Ill get you next time, oh and good luck for next round. Personal request: Id love to see skirm fight someone.

Oh well least I won one fight(ground) unanimously...Come on team wolf(hulk end theme begins to play as we walk away into the sunset)

#40 Nova Force Nova

Nova Force Nova

Deadpan Snarker

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 14,957 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:44 PM

Good job Nova, Ill get you next time, oh and good luck for next round. Personal request: Id love to see skirm fight someone.

Oh well least I won one fight(ground) unanimously...Come on team wolf(hulk end theme begins to play as we walk away into the sunset)

Good job as well, Kevin. You were behind me by two votes on two fights and unanimously won one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users