82 replies to this topic

#41 Zreth

Zreth

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:09 PM

A good idea is a glass cannon type of zombie: Good offense, yet bed defense. They can use guns, yet are weaker than the other characters.

I'm sort of against glass cannons. Not mini maxing but glass cannons........yeah.......

#42 He who fights monsters

He who fights monsters

I am One with the Ferret.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,600 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:47 PM

We could put in some boss battles: Make one boss a zombie who can use guns.

#43 Zreth

Zreth

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:02 AM

It's really up to Hugo.

#44 He who fights monsters

He who fights monsters

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 4,600 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:08 AM

Alright. I do hope my ideas are considered.

#45 KevinDWolf93

KevinDWolf93

A fluffy puppy with a heart of gold!

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 12,353 posts
  • Interests:Mythology and other lore, reading, writing, Werewolves/wolves, weapons, science fiction, fighting, 19th/20th century literature (ex. Moby Dick, Call of the Wild, Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:39 AM

This is what it is going to be like for the template it's going to be seperated into types of character's which turn into diffrent PC zombies depending on character.

Brave Character/Cannibal
A Brave Character is the kind of person who does does things regardless of the danger and is usually the quickest to recover from a disaster. Brave character's tend to be good at inspiring other and the one that risks it all or extremly reckless. When turned they become savages and retain much of their physical abilities as humans somewhat improved and unlike other zombies they can carry simple weapons. The problem with them is that they unlike other zombies can tire out.

Charsimatic Character/Drama Queen
A Charismatic Character is the person that keeps the team together or tricks people into getting more rations. These people can be politican's to con-men or car salesmen they just have to be charming. When turned the zombie has either healed over the wound before they change or somehow when they change. These zombies can draw on past memories or copy other real people and are capable of imitating people and coping with them until they suddenly go out and start infecting people. Like Cannibal's they can use simple weapons and are also capable of using guns (With no accuracy what so ever), Their only flaw is they are only capable of moving as fast as a normal zombie and although intelligent they won't really have in explanation if some zombies totally passes him/her by.

Smart Character/Swarmer
A Smart character can do many diffrent things from fixing a car to picking a lock to first aid or how to build a camera, they are a bag of tricks. A Smart character can be a mechanic or a doctor or student, they just have to be smart. When changed they retain some basic parts of their intelligence and also gain the ability to control other zombies telepathically. The problem with them is that they are in capable of imitating a person like a Drama Queen and are only capable of normal zombie physical abilities.

Strong Character/Behemoth
A Strong Character basically does all the heavy lifting and difficult physical tasks like lifting supplies or craking a table over a zombies head. These people tend to be blue collar workers or athletes. When turned the body gains muscle mass and tougher bones becoming giant monstrosities. Although larger and stronger then their human counterparts they are far slower and less flexible.

Fast Character/Runner
These people are people who go well.....fast in any way they can from running to driving car or riding horses. A Fast character is anyone with a way to move around fast like track runners or taxi drivers. When turned they become capable of running the speed that the past person was capable of without tiring. The problem here is that they are only capble of how fast the person is not car or horse and the arms of this zombies don't move at good speeds like normal zombies and aren't as strong.

Tough Character/Grubber
A tough character is someone who is determined and is capable of taking alot of pain and will still keep on going. A Tough character can be just about anyone but tends to be soliders, thugs or bodyguards. When changed the body collects alot of insects like maggots and what not, the virus intergrates the insects into the body fusiing them with the zombies making it a part of them and allowing the zombie control over the insects or spiders swarming over his body along with making them carry it's virus plus making the zombie be much harder to kill then a headshot and having the consistency of vomit. The downfall of this kind is that they are weaker and slower physically then other characters and are like insects attracted to bright lights as well as a weakness to electricity and fire.

Regular Joe/Moaner
These are NPC's character's the basic survivors that can get bossed around. The same goes for the zombies just that only Swarmers can order them around. Moaners are slow and give themselves away rather easily but they can move their arms rather fast and stronger then the average human as wel as not being able to tire.

Here is the template and everyone is reccomended to start human.

Name:It can be a nickname
Weight
Starting point: More then one person can be in a place but the person who wishes to be the leader there has to put leader beside the place. first come first serve.
Starting weapon: Options are (Carpenter hammer, Kitchen knife, Pistol 5 shots 10 rounds, home Depot rifle 3 shots 5 rounds and the stick of awesome)
Past Job:
Description: Detailed at least one paragraph unless it's real good.
Biography: What has your peron done. After Zombie Apoc. required before optional.
Skills and Fails: This is what you can do. Feel free to add anything just tell me what you've had done I might pitch in when I can.

This is for anyone who wants to help to work on I just really need a skill list.

Ill take smart character

Name:Robert"Fang" Remington

Height:6'3

Weight:167lbs

Starting point:Raccoon Police Depot.

Starting weapon:rifle

Past job:Student

Description:A little thin, but different "hobbies" acquired over years mean hes in decent shape. Long face, caucasian,jet black hair, beard stubble since incident. Wears a dark hoodie, and dark pants for hiding. Doesnt smell like anything, as tries to hide scent from zombies.Wears a makeshift bandolier, and vest with alot of pockets for storing ammo and items over hoodie. Large carrier bag for big items. Holster for rifle.

Bio:Rob was a straight A student. But he also looked to be anothe rperson. Action hero. He looked into all kinds f lore, and did all kinds of hobbies for the intrerst:Everything from marksmanship to freerunning, to even fencing...wasnt easy finding these round the parts but he managed. He was at the police building when the virus started picking up. He wanted to be a hero, but he wasnt an idiot, he read books where that guy dies the chapter hes introduced. Off to the police stations...at least while theyre still alive. After the apocalypse hes been doing guard duty for the station, alot of entrances an army of zombies can make to one building. Alerted everyones presence of the "headshot weaknes"...saved a bit of ammo there. Group is spread out so hes been trying to escape...best let things die down first. He first starts the game on patrol just outside the building...on the second floor of course :)

Skills:A little parkour skills. Took some escape artist classes(lockpicking,cuffs,etc.) Proficient with most(legal) firearms, Whiz at many things:computers, mechanic,etc. Good with weapons, great at makeshift/improvisation(can pwn with fencing skills with as little as a broomhandle),genre savvy

Fails:Taken some non-weapon self-defense but if it comes to fist fight, can get overpowered if hes big enough, a bit of an anti-social doesnt make allies easily,arachnaphobic..., no espike a espanol, foreign language is the one thing hes never gotten around to learning,

Hows that zreth?

#46 Zreth

Zreth

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:47 AM

Okay I guess that can do.

#47 KevinDWolf93

KevinDWolf93

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 12,353 posts
  • Interests:Mythology and other lore, reading, writing, Werewolves/wolves, weapons, science fiction, fighting, 19th/20th century literature (ex. Moby Dick, Call of the Wild, Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)

Posted 23 December 2009 - 01:56 AM

Okay I guess that can do.

Something I should change? Go ahead and say it.

#48 Zreth

Zreth

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 02:00 AM

Something I should change? Go ahead and say it.

No it should be fine.

#49 KevinDWolf93

KevinDWolf93

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 12,353 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 02:11 AM

No it should be fine.

U sure? Just made the guy up(except for the name...running gag) Ill toss him.

#50 Zreth

Zreth

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 02:23 AM

U sure? Just made the guy up(except for the name...running gag) Ill toss him.

If you really want to. But seeing your suppose to make your guy up and my expectaitions for this isn't very high you can use it.

#51 Jason Redfield

Jason Redfield

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 3,262 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 02:24 AM

I'm highly considering joining this when it gets started. Big fan of zombies, and I've been a part of A LOT of Zombie RPG's on another site, and I daresay I've amassed a considerable amount of experience concerning them. I've written two of my own, in fact. Not trying to be bragadocious or anything, but if you want some help/tips/whatever, I'd be willing to help based on past experience, etc.

#52 Zreth

Zreth

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 02:25 AM

I'm highly considering joining this when it gets started. Big fan of zombies, and I've been a part of A LOT of Zombie RPG's on another site, and I daresay I've amassed a considerable amount of experience concerning them. I've written two of my own, in fact. Not trying to be bragadocious or anything, but if you want some help/tips/whatever, I'd be willing to help based on past experience, etc.

Sure give it a shot.

#53 KevinDWolf93

KevinDWolf93

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 12,353 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 02:30 AM

If you really want to. But seeing your suppose to make your guy up and my expectaitions for this isn't very high you can use it.

Ok. R.Remington is just about ready to get ripped to shreds then.

#54 Kinetic War

Kinetic War

Don't feed him after midnight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • Interests:This article is too long. Consider splitting it into separate articles.

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:13 AM

Looking pretty good so far. I'll follow up with a detailed skills list and more ideas later, but here are a few quick pointers:

@ Zreth:

I'd prefer if there were two different character types for "smart" and "intelligent". The "smarts" are the ones who can pick locks, who know where to find supplies, etc. They're the street smart types, who don't need to have a degree, they're just smart at life. The "intelligent" characters are the doctors, scientists and generally more learned people with a high level of skill in their area, but who can't use their intelligence on the street as well as the street smart characters.

@ Kevin:

The problem with your character is IMO that he doesn't sound very believable. Why did he do the stuff he did before the outbreak? Sounds like he's paranoid. I also find you've given him too many physical skills for a character who's supposed to be "smart". I think you should stick with the stuff that makes him a survivor, as giving him several weapon skills in addition to his parkour prowess AND lockpicking skills just makes him a bit too powerful, and his weak points probably won't come up too often (I don't think being fluent in German will save anyone from being eaten by a zombie). One thing about zombie movies is that there are usually no "heroes" in the sense of a Gabriel van Helsing, who's made a job of killing monsters. They are average people caught in a horrible situation that awakens the hero - or the villain - in them.

I'll post an example character a bit later for you to judge.

#55 KevinDWolf93

KevinDWolf93

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 12,353 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 01:46 PM

The problem with your character is IMO that he doesn't sound very believable. Why did he do the stuff he did before the outbreak? Sounds like he's paranoid. I also find you've given him too many physical skills for a character who's supposed to be "smart". I think you should stick with the stuff that makes him a survivor, as giving him several weapon skills in addition to his parkour prowess AND lockpicking skills just makes him a bit too powerful, and his weak points probably won't come up too often (I don't think being fluent in German will save anyone from being eaten by a zombie). One thing about zombie movies is that there are usually no "heroes" in the sense of a Gabriel van Helsing, who's made a job of killing monsters. They are average people caught in a horrible situation that awakens the hero - or the villain - in them.

I'll post an example character a bit later for you to judge.

Fair enough. Though I was going for a paranoid character, with your "street smarts" idea as the basic template. Ill nerf his physical prowess then(Im keeping fencing/single stick and firearms though). Though as for the language barrier considering a few people will go for soldier ,Im thinking about U.B.C.S(RE3 soldiers) type where most are different nationality (Carlos, Mikhal,etc) and the not accepting allies easy would be fun...though Im overthinking things.

#56 Kinetic War

Kinetic War

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • Interests:This article is too long. Consider splitting it into separate articles.

Posted 23 December 2009 - 03:30 PM

@Wolf: That's good, I do that as well. In fact, I was kind of hoping we wouldn't be stuck in Raccoon City. Our group of survivors could listen to radio broadcasts, and if they get a message from other cities, they could collect supplies, trucks, and weapons and try to make a run for it. Would give this zombie apocalypse a whole new dimension.

OK, here are my suggestions for basic survivor skills (20 in total). Much of this has been inspired by Landon's RP. The idea is to start off with around 5 good skills. If a player chooses to specialize in a skill, they'll use several points on that skill. One point on a skill means the character is good at this skill, either naturally or through training. Two points on a skill means the character has taken time to learn that skill, probably a specialty of sorts, and he clearly excels at this. A hobby perhaps. Three points (the recommended maximum) means the character is a professional. He likely earned his livelihood with this skill before the outbreak. Alternatively, the character can be a Jack of all trades, master of none. A character may be able to use a skill he has no points on, but he won't be any more successful than your average joe. As for the "fail skills" (should be 2), the character in question sucks at that skill. Absolutely and irredeemably sucks. No way is he ever going to succeed at this, no matter how much time he gets.

EDIT: I gave the skills levels. Now, if you choose to specialize in a skill, you can write the level behind the skill in your skill list, but don't write it if you only use 1 point on a skill. Example: Unarmed (lvl 3). NOT: Unarmed (lvl 1). Needless to say, one level = one skill point.

Remember: 5 good skills, 2 bad skills. Bad skills don't have levels, because one lvl in a bad skill already means that you suck.

Unarmed - The bare necessity. The character can have formal training, or he's been forced to learn self-defence in practice. State what style your character uses (offensive like thai boxing, defensive like aikido etc.).
Lvl 1: You know how to defend yourself. You're about brawler level.
Lvl 2: You're a master fighter. You can defend yourself against multiple opponents.
Lvl 3: You are a black belt or an equivalent. I pity the fool who picks a fight with you. Possible occupation: professional fighter.

Melee weapons - Baseball bats, axes, knives, anything that can be used to swing or stab with falls under this skill. A person with this skill is faster and better at using a knife or a sword than ordinary people. Good basic skill.
Lvl 1: You know how to handle a weapon safely. You hit most of the time.
Lvl 2: You can swing like the best of them, and do much damage. You can even show off once in a while.
Lvl 3: Not only do you know how to hit, you know where to hit to acquire the needed result. Possibly a hitman.

Small firearms - A person with this skill has experience with small firearms, such as pistols, rifles, uzis, etc.
Lvl 1: You've been taught how to shoot, or you have learned because it was necessary.
Lvl 2: You've been on hunting trips. It's more rare that you miss than that you hit.
Lvl 3: The world has lost a great sniper. Your skills are uncanny. You also know the basic structure of a gun. Possibly an FBI agent before the outbreak.

Heavy firearms - We're talking flamethrowers, bazookas, the big guns with destructive firepower. A person with this skill should be quite strong or have help, as it's not a child's play to be carrying one of these babies around.
Lvl 1: You know how to operate these complicated weapons. Better than average.
Lvl 2: You hit more than you miss. You have experience, and people usually trust you with these kinds of weapons.
Lvl 3: You with a fully loaded flamethrower against a horde of zombies - I feel sorry for the zombies. Possibly a soldier before the outbreak.

Throwing - Hand grenades, throwing knives, and ordinary rocks fall under this category. A guy with a rope and a grappling hook will really benefit from this skill.
Lvl 1: You have a knack for throwing stuff.
Lvl 2: You have trained at throwing stuff. If you want to hit something, you probably will.
Lvl 3: Bullseye never misses. You have uncanny aim. Possibly one of them knife throwers at the circus before the outbreak.

Explosives - The character has knowledge of explosives, such as bombs, dynamite, and nitroglycerin.
Lvl 1: You know how to detonate a bomb safely. You can make a Molotov Cocktail.
Lvl 2: You know how to detonate a bomb to maximize its effect. You know the structure of most bombs.
Lvl 3: You can make basic bombs yourself if you have the needed materials. You can make improvements on average bombs. An explosives expert.

Free running - The character is an escape artist. He's more likely to shake off pursuers than average people.
Lvl 1: You know good tricks. You can move through the city without slowing down.
Lvl 2: You can make somersaults, run up walls, and other spectacular stuff.
Lvl 3: You're like those experts on TV, or the guy from the beginning of Casino Royale. Others will go "WHOA" at seeing you run.

Aware - The character has keen senses, and is likely to notice when something is wrong in the vicinity.
Lvl 1: You know when something "feels wrong", though you don't always know why.
Lvl 2: You pay attention to your surroundings. You've probably needed to.
Lvl 3: You are a detective. You notice small things all others miss. You're in touch with your surroundings.

Silent - The ninja skill. The character can move around without being noticed, and he knows where to hide. Be aware though, that a zombie may use its sense of smell to find the character.
Lvl 1: You know where to hide. You know how to sneak.
Lvl 2: You are nearly invisible to all who aren't actively searching for you.
Lvl 3: You can regulate your heartbeat on a whim. You can stand almost in front of a person without being noticed. Probably a ninja or something.

Thief - Lockpicking, stealing, anything that requires a steady, swift hand falls under this skill.
Lvl 1: You can pick a basic lock. You are a pickpocket. A promising beginner.
Lvl 2: You know how to pick a "safe" lock. You can choose what to steal from a purse and what not by simple touching it.
Lvl 3: You can open safes. You have "ghost hands". Stuff just seems to disappear when you're around. Probably a magician before the outbreak. Or a thief.

Urban survivor - Knows where to find stuff around the hood, knows where the best safehouses are. This skill is crucial to a 'loner' type of character, but it doesn't hurt to have someone with this skill in a group either.
Lvl 1: You know about the hood and can take care of yourself. You know good hiding places.
Lvl 2: You know storage spaces. You know entrances. You know where people hide their stuff.
Lvl 3: You have intimate knowledge of housing systems. You know how to get into guarded buildings without being noticed. Probably a burglar before the outbreak.

Trapper - A character with this skill knows how to set up a working, improvised trap.
Lvl 1: You can set up a basic trap, like a snare, which stops the prey.
Lvl 2: You can set up an advanced trap which kills or seriously injures the prey.
Lvl 3: You can quickly set up multiple traps, which can either kill or just incapacitate your pursuers. You recognize traps from afar.

Mathematics - After a quick look, the character can give an estimate on how many zombies are attacking, how much ammo is left, how much time there is before the zombies break the barricades etc. Basically a person with very good mathematic skills. ONLY 2 LEVELS.
Lvl 1: Mathematically skilled. Can correctly estimate amounts with a simple look.
Lvl 2: Mathematical genius. Remembers a huge amount of data, and can combine the knowledge with new information.

Tactics - The character has training in or intuitive knowledge about how to act on the battlefield. If he's charismatic, he can easily give orders to others.
Lvl 1: Tactically gifted. Recognizes patterns, knows where to move to be safe from direct attacks.
Lvl 2: Tactically skilled. Sees the battlefield like a chess board, and knows timing.
Lvl 3: Tactical expert, a Sun Tzu of our time. Knows how to lead ten soldiers to victory against a hundred.

First aid - The character can heal light injuries, such as wounds, broken bones, etc.
Lvl 1: Heal light wounds. Basic first aid before help arrives. You can prevent blood loss, perform CPR, etc.
Lvl 2: Heal moderate wounds. You can close wounds and improvise without a first aid kit.
Lvl 3: Heal serious wounds. A doctor. You can perform surgery, you know what drugs help in a situation, etc.

Mechanic - The character knows how stuff works and how to repair things that are broken.
Lvl 1: You know how basic household appliances work. You can repair small, mechanical faults.
Lvl 2: You know your way around machines. With time, you can figure out how to repair most faults.
Lvl 3: You're a mechanic. You can fix cars, radios, and stuff. With time and tools, you can repair almost anything.

Driver - The character is good behind a wheel or on a motorcycle.
Lvl 1: You have a driver's license and experience. You're called a good driver. You rarely get into accidents.
Lvl 2: You have great control over the vehicle. You can improvise in traffic.
Lvl 3: You're a professional driver, perhaps on a race track. Awesome driving skills.

Socially aware - The character knows how people work. He can anticipate what others will do in a situation, and a charismatic character can use this knowledge to his advantage by influencing others.
Lvl 1: You sense what mood people are in. You can try to calm someone down before they fly into a rage.
Lvl 2: You can read people. You pay attention to their posture and know if they are comfortable in a situation or not.
Lvl 3: You can tell when somebody's lying, and you can get the truth out of them with simple questions. You're able to read microexpressions, and you know how a group of survivors will act in a given situation. You can basically sense emotions.

Zombie hunter - Following the time after the outbreak, the character has studied the ways of the undead, and he can make accurate guesses on how a zombie will act in a given situation. ONLY 2 LEVELS.
Lvl 1: You know where the zombies hang out. You know where they don't. Basic stuff.
Lvl 2: You know how different zombies react. You know their behavioral pattern. Makes fighting them easier.

Other - Either through his work or his hobbies, the character has acquired a skill that may not at first glance look very useful, but will make a huge difference at one point or another. A foreign language, magic tricks, singing, knowledge of flowers etc. all fall under this skill.

When combined with the character types, there can be untold many types of people in the city. Tell me what you think. Need more? Remove some? Bad altogether? Suggestions?

Here's an example character (NOT my official character, and lacks background and personality):

Eddie Xample (Strong)

Height: 5'11

Weight: 182 lb

Starting point: Raccon City Jail

Starting weapon: Brass knuckles

Past Job: Jailbird

Skills:
Unarmed (lvl 2) - Eddie learned Capoeira in prison by an old man. He likes to show it off by pretending he's breakdancing.
Urban survivor - Eddie was brought up on the streets, and he knows enough 'bout the hood to stay out of trouble.
Free running - Eddie was always on the run from the cops, and he picked up some good tricks along the way.
Comics (other) - Eddie loves comics, and knows a lot about them. His favourite is Hellboy.

Fails:
Mathematics: Eddie can't count beyond ten, and trying to divide by anything will make his head hurt.
Mechanic: Eddie can't fix anything, and figuring out how to turn on the oven is a huge mental challenge.

#57 KevinDWolf93

KevinDWolf93

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 12,353 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 04:05 PM

@Wolf: That's good, I do that as well. In fact, I was kind of hoping we wouldn't be stuck in Raccoon City. Our group of survivors could listen to radio broadcasts, and if they get a message from other cities, they could collect supplies, trucks, and weapons and try to make a run for it. Would give this zombie apocalypse a whole new dimension.

OK, here are my suggestions for basic survivor skills (20 in total). Much of this has been inspired by Landon's RP. The idea is to start off with around 5 good skills. If a player chooses to specialize in a skill, they'll use several points on that skill. One point on a skill means the character is good at this skill, either naturally or through training. Two points on a skill means the character has taken time to learn that skill, probably a specialty of sorts, and he clearly excels at this. Three points (the recommended maximum) means the character is a professional. He likely earned his livelihood with this skill before the outbreak. Alternatively, the character can be a Jack of all trades, master of none. A character may be able to use a skill he has no points on, but he won't be any more successful than your average joe. As for the "fail skills" (should be 2), the character in question sucks at that skill. Absolutely and irredeemably sucks. No way is he ever going to succeed at this, no matter how much time he gets.

Unarmed - The bare necessity. The character can have formal training, or he's been forced to learn self-defence in practice. State what style your character uses (offensive like thai boxing, defensive like aikido etc.).

Melee weapons - Baseball bats, axes, knives, anything that can be used to swing or stab with falls under this skill. A person with this skill is faster and better at using a knife or a sword than ordinary people. Good basic skill.

Small firearms - A person with this skill has experience with small firearms, such as pistols, rifles, uzis, etc.

Heavy firearms - We're talking flamethrowers, bazookas, the big guns with destructive firepower. A person with this skill should be quite strong or have help, as it's not a child's play to be carrying one of these babies around.

Throwing - Grenades, throwing knives, and ordinary rocks fall under this category. A guy with a rope and a grappling hook will really benefit from this skill.

Explosives - The character has knowledge of explosives, such as bombs, dynamite, and nitroglycerin. An expert on this skill can make basic bombs himself if he has the needed materials.

Free running - The character is an escape artist. He's more likely to shake off pursuers than average people.

Aware - The character has keen senses, and is likely to notice when something is wrong in the vicinity.

Silent - The ninja skill. The character can move around without being noticed, and he knows where to hide. Be aware though, that a zombie may use its sense of smell to find the character.

Thief - Lockpicking, stealing, anything that requires a steady, swift hand falls under this skill.

Urban survivor - Knows where to find stuff around the hood, knows where the best safehouses are. This skill is crucial to a 'loner' type of character, but it doesn't hurt to have someone with this skill in a group either.

Trapper - A character with this skill knows how to set up a working, improvised trap.

Mathematics - After a quick look, the character can give an estimate on how many zombies are attacking, how much ammo is left, how much time there is before the zombies break the barricades etc. Basically a person with very good mathematic skills.

Tactics - The character has training in or intuitive knowledge about how to act on the battlefield. If he's charismatic, he can give orders to others.

First aid - The character can heal light injuries, such as wounds, broken bones, etc. An expert on this skill is a doctor.

Mechanic - The character knows how stuff works and how to repair things that are broken.

Driver - The character is good behind a wheel or on a motorcycle. An expert on this skill would be a professional driver, perhaps on a race track.

Socially aware - The character knows how people work. He can anticipate what others will do in a situation, and a charismatic character can use this knowledge to his advantage, by influencing others. An expert on this skill will be able to read microexpressions and know how a group of survivors will act in a given situation, basically sense emotions.

Zombie hunter - Following the time after the outbreak, the character has studied the ways of the undead, and he can make accurate guesses on how a zombie will act in a given situation.

Other - Either through his work or his hobbies, the character has acquired a skill that may not at first glance look very useful, but will make a huge difference at one point or another. A foreign language, magic tricks, singing, knowledge of flowers etc. all fall under this skill.

When combined with the character types, there can be untold many types of people in the city. Tell me what you think. Need more? Remove some? Bad altogether? Suggestions?

Here's an example character (NOT my official character, and lacks background and personality):

Eddie Xample (Strong)

Height: 5'11

Weight: 182 lb

Starting point: Raccon City Jail

Starting weapon: Brass knuckles

Past Job: Jailbird

Skills:
Unarmed (lvl 2) - Eddie learned Capoeira in prison by an old man. He likes to show it off by pretending he's breakdancing.
Urban survivor - Eddie was brought up on the streets, and he knows enough 'bout the hood to stay out of trouble.
Free running - Eddie was always on the run from the cops, and he picked up some good tricks along the way.
Comics (other) - Eddie loves comics, and knows a lot about them. His favourite is Hellboy.

Fails:
Mathematics: Eddie can't count beyond ten, and trying to divide by anything will make his head hurt.
Mechanic: Eddie can't fix anything, and figuring out how to turn on the oven is a huge mental challenge.

Sounds ok, overall seems like a good character sheet. I can tweak my character around that...just want to know how many points we get/can earn? Also we pick the fails seems intresting, instead of the blank skills being the fail.

How bout:
Skills:
Melee(lvl 2)-Formal and self taught training with swords and staffs over years have given impressive prowess with Staffs(Large broomhandle,bo-staff) or one hand thrust(shovel/broom handles,short swords,large knives)type weaopns
Zombie hunter-Genre savvy, knows how to handle zombies
free running- Can getaway fast.
urban survivor-knows where not to hide

Fails:
Heavy firearms:Fair with a handgun or even shotgun, this guys not astrong enough to wield the "big" stuff effectively
Throwing:Wuss arms, horrible at footballl.

#58 Zreth

Zreth

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 06:07 PM

I'd prefer if there were two different character types for "smart" and "intelligent". The "smarts" are the ones who can pick locks, who know where to find supplies, etc. They're the street smart types, who don't need to have a degree, they're just smart at life. The "intelligent" characters are the doctors, scientists and generally more learned people with a high level of skill in their area, but who can't use their intelligence on the street as well as the street smart characters.

I originally wanted to loop the lot together so I didn't have to do so much work but if you want me to.

#59 He who fights monsters

He who fights monsters

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 4,600 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 12:46 AM

My attempt at a character:

Name: Richard "Richie" Schmidt (Tough)
Height: 6'0
Weight: 180
Starting point: Raccoon City Police Department
Starting weapon: E-tool
Past Job: United States Special Forces (Green Beret)
Description: Sturdy soldier-diplomat who would do anything for the survival and welfare of mankind's remnants.
Biography: A fighter for the United States, his job was to combat any opponent and liberate the oppressed. After his service in Afghanistan and Iraq, he came home, in Peoria, to celebrate and relax. Months later, Richard would hear of a mysterious pathogen turning normal humans into zombies. Finding this out, he would rush to his wife and young child, just to find them hiding in the attic. His wife told him that the neighbors were infected by the virus. Arming himself, Richard set out to find other survivors and stop the infection's spread, if not the infection outright.
Skills and Fails:

Tactics: His experience in the United States Armed Forces gives him enough experience for tactics. He even plotted some parts in taking down the Taliban.
Unarmed: "As a Green Beret, I do not know martial arts. I know fighting"
Melee weapons: Using an E-Tool as a "last resort" weapon, he feels comfortable with melee situations
Explosives: Been around grenades before, used one to blow up a guerrilla fighter in Afghanistan.
Small firearms: Pistols and rifles are his forte.

Failed Skills:

Zombie Hunter: He has never seen anything like them. Undead are very strange to him, thinking that it was all fiction and folklore.

Trapper: Does not believe in traps, seeing them as ineffective and cowardly.

If there is any flaws, allow me to correct them.

#60 Kinetic War

Kinetic War

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 05:08 AM

@ Zreth: You know what, it's cool. If a player picks a "smart" character, he will use his skills either on a "scholar" type of character (a doctor, mechanic, tactician, etc.), which is basically the same as an intelligent character. "Smart" characters with skills like driving, picking locks, urban survival etc. will be considered the street smart characters. So the character types are really OK as they are, a player just has to emphasize on the skills.

@ Wolf: Yes, the idea of the "blank" skills are that people with no levels (points) at that skill will have no particular experience with that skill. Example: A person with no levels in Silent will not be able to hide and go unnoticed any more than an average guy on the street. Likely fail, but if he's lucky, there's still a chance he won't be noticed. However, if Silent is a fail skill, the character is clumsy and heavy, or otherwise makes a whole lot of noise when walking. Zombies will hear him coming from blocks away.

Your character skills sound good, but a few pointers:

1) The "Aware" skill is about your character's senses. He sees, hears, and smells things better than ordinary people. Example: Three happily chatting characters walk inside a police station to pick up more ammo. Your character, who has the Aware skill, suddenly realizes something is wrong, holds up his hand, and says "Listen! Do you smell something?" The group stops, takes a firm grip on their weapons, and looks around. Your character, still more aware than the others, spots a lump of flesh behind a desk, and points at it. Suddenly, the desk is knocked down, and a huge zombie monster jumps out. Sadly for him, your character had already warned the others, and the monster is immediately shot full of holes.

So, it's about your character's resistance to surprise attacks, and increases his possibilities to find supplies in a ruined building. Having spent one point on this skill, your character has keener senses than normal. Hard to surprise. Two slots would make him a good hunter. Extremely hard to surprise. Three points would mean he's probably a detective, who has made a living of this. More or less impossible to surprise.

2) The character is supposed to have 5 good skills and 2 failed skills, so remove one fail skill, and add another good skill. Given your character's background and the fact that you mentioned this skill as potentially a part of your character, I'd recommend urban survivor (that would give him the "knows where not to hide" advantage) or zombie hunter (knows where zombies don't look).

@ Ubermensch: Looking good, except for the background part, which seems to kinda stop short. Plus, I really couldn't figure out where he was during the outbreak. Was he on a mission somewhere, or is the "home" you speak of somewhere away from his family?

Oh, I forgot to write this down, but luckily you guys figured it out: An "Other" skill can't be a fail skill, unless it's a clear handicap. It has to be something from the list.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users