• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#21 Kinetic War

Kinetic War

Don't feed him after midnight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • Interests:This article is too long. Consider splitting it into separate articles.

Posted 15 December 2009 - 01:28 PM

The pheromones sound all right, especially considering what I had in mind for how the infection could work:

Instead of a traditional virus, this could be about a weird parasitic lifeform (a worm or something similar) residing in the frontal lobe of the human brain. It will produce massive amounts of offspring into the circulation system and the extracellular matrix, and they will in turn start 'eating away' the human host, who needs to get huge amounts of food to balance out the tiny parasite's nutrition intake. But, at the same time, the mother parasite in their brain 'orders' the host to spread its offspring around, thus leading the infected to attacking other humans, both to spread the condition, and to get food quickly. If someone is bitten, one of the parasite's offspring will eventually make its way towards the brain and reside there, becoming the new mother parasite (I call it "mother parasite", though it probably reproduces asexually). As the frontal lobe controls higher mental functions, anyone infected with the parasite will start regressing mentally, though the speed at which this happens will vary. Any mutations in the host body could be due to complications or allergies towards the parasitic lifeforms, which the body can't get rid of. Lack of food for long periods of time will weaken the infected, as they use up much energy, but the desperation to find more food will more than make up for that, effectively causing the infected to become more and more reckless and bloodthirsty as time passes.

When its human host dies, the freaky parasite will somehow start working together with its offspring in the rest of the body, to move the corpse around. Unless a headshot is applied, which effectively kills the parasite in the brain (and simultaneously stops its offspring from taking over), the corpse will keep going even if parts of it are shot off. At this stage, the zombified corpse will care about nothing else besides spreading its infection. As time progresses, the corpse will be going through various stages of decomposition, due both to the parasites eating it, and to the fact that the guy is, well, dead. until finally, if no new host is found, the parasites will probably die, as will the zombie.

These parasites will constantly emit a pheromone which tells other parasites to "keep away from this one", stopping the zombies and the infected from devouring each other. After all, the only thing the parasites care about is keeping their genetic line going.

Aside from all the pseudoscientific mumbo jumbo, what do you think? What this basically means is that we have a huge arsenal of different kinds of threats awaiting, from fast infected to traditional zombies, and from mutated monsters to infected animals (I don't see why the parasite couldn't reside in animals as well).

#22 Hugo Fowl

Hugo Fowl

I am One with the Ferret.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,162 posts
  • Interests:Discworld, Hellsing, Kingdom Hearts, writing, RP's, drama, etc.

Posted 15 December 2009 - 06:32 PM

The pheromones sound all right, especially considering what I had in mind for how the infection could work:

Instead of a traditional virus, this could be about a weird parasitic lifeform (a worm or something similar) residing in the frontal lobe of the human brain. It will produce massive amounts of offspring into the circulation system and the extracellular matrix, and they will in turn start 'eating away' the human host, who needs to get huge amounts of food to balance out the tiny parasite's nutrition intake. But, at the same time, the mother parasite in their brain 'orders' the host to spread its offspring around, thus leading the infected to attacking other humans, both to spread the condition, and to get food quickly. If someone is bitten, one of the parasite's offspring will eventually make its way towards the brain and reside there, becoming the new mother parasite (I call it "mother parasite", though it probably reproduces asexually). As the frontal lobe controls higher mental functions, anyone infected with the parasite will start regressing mentally, though the speed at which this happens will vary. Any mutations in the host body could be due to complications or allergies towards the parasitic lifeforms, which the body can't get rid of. Lack of food for long periods of time will weaken the infected, as they use up much energy, but the desperation to find more food will more than make up for that, effectively causing the infected to become more and more reckless and bloodthirsty as time passes.

When its human host dies, the freaky parasite will somehow start working together with its offspring in the rest of the body, to move the corpse around. Unless a headshot is applied, which effectively kills the parasite in the brain (and simultaneously stops its offspring from taking over), the corpse will keep going even if parts of it are shot off. At this stage, the zombified corpse will care about nothing else besides spreading its infection. As time progresses, the corpse will be going through various stages of decomposition, due both to the parasites eating it, and to the fact that the guy is, well, dead. until finally, if no new host is found, the parasites will probably die, as will the zombie.

These parasites will constantly emit a pheromone which tells other parasites to "keep away from this one", stopping the zombies and the infected from devouring each other. After all, the only thing the parasites care about is keeping their genetic line going.

Aside from all the pseudoscientific mumbo jumbo, what do you think? What this basically means is that we have a huge arsenal of different kinds of threats awaiting, from fast infected to traditional zombies, and from mutated monsters to infected animals (I don't see why the parasite couldn't reside in animals as well).

Holy crap, I would pay to see a movie like this.

#23 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 15 December 2009 - 07:09 PM

sounds like an FPL character in the making. I'd save the idea and use it later. Some of the original FPL characters started as RPs.

#24 He who fights monsters

He who fights monsters

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 4,600 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 07:56 PM

Parasites are a good idea. Try using a human equivalent to Cordyceps , in which the parasitic fungus that worked on insects, is now mutated and working on humans.

#25 Zreth

Zreth

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 08:12 PM

Holy crap, I would pay to see a movie like this.

No, Not really that would sort of fit the description of days of darkness and that movie sucked. But it does sound like a good idea for the game.

#26 Kinetic War

Kinetic War

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • Interests:This article is too long. Consider splitting it into separate articles.

Posted 17 December 2009 - 06:01 AM

Thanks, guys. This idea partially comes from a novel I'm currently writing, although it's a pretty down-to-earth, philosophical exploration story, and doesn't include zombies of any kind.

Or... does it? *Quickly writes an alternate plot about people turning into zombies*

Though I disagree about the idea being similar to the one in Days of Darkness (which I haven't seen, but read a plot summary on. It has non-infectious zombies, which doesn't really describe this at all), I agree that a movie about these things would probably be a tad confusing. That's becuse I wanted to please everyone with this solution, so we could have the infected and the classic zombies, as well as the Resident Evil-esque Tyrants and zombie dogs. It could work, but usually movies that try to incorporate too many different elements in them are doomed to fail. The parasite idea is nothing new in itself (though I was probably thinking about some parasitic, non-sentient form of the Body Snatchers), but I think we can make it work well in this RPG.

@ He who fights monsters: An advanced version of the Cordyceps does sound like a very good idea, as from what I know, they describe the parasite spot-on: Infectious, takes over the host tissue, affects the behaviour of the host... perfect. And it being Earth-based, we'll avoid the whole "space aliens turning people into zombies" -thing. Plan 9 From Outer Space, anyone?

@ treacherous: Wow! Can a non-sentient parasite really be a character in the FPL?

#27 KevinDWolf93

KevinDWolf93

A fluffy puppy with a heart of gold!

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 12,353 posts
  • Interests:Mythology and other lore, reading, writing, Werewolves/wolves, weapons, science fiction, fighting, 19th/20th century literature (ex. Moby Dick, Call of the Wild, Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)

Posted 17 December 2009 - 11:50 PM

So, have u guys decided what kind of zombies that are gonna be used? Honestly I figured since were in raccoon city, we stick with the RE universe as a whole...just my opinion though.

#28 He who fights monsters

He who fights monsters

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 4,600 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 07:53 PM

Thanks, guys. This idea partially comes from a novel I'm currently writing, although it's a pretty down-to-earth, philosophical exploration story, and doesn't include zombies of any kind.

Or... does it? *Quickly writes an alternate plot about people turning into zombies*

Though I disagree about the idea being similar to the one in Days of Darkness (which I haven't seen, but read a plot summary on. It has non-infectious zombies, which doesn't really describe this at all), I agree that a movie about these things would probably be a tad confusing. That's becuse I wanted to please everyone with this solution, so we could have the infected and the classic zombies, as well as the Resident Evil-esque Tyrants and zombie dogs. It could work, but usually movies that try to incorporate too many different elements in them are doomed to fail. The parasite idea is nothing new in itself (though I was probably thinking about some parasitic, non-sentient form of the Body Snatchers), but I think we can make it work well in this RPG.

@ He who fights monsters: An advanced version of the Cordyceps does sound like a very good idea, as from what I know, they describe the parasite spot-on: Infectious, takes over the host tissue, affects the behaviour of the host... perfect. And it being Earth-based, we'll avoid the whole "space aliens turning people into zombies" -thing. Plan 9 From Outer Space, anyone?

@ treacherous: Wow! Can a non-sentient parasite really be a character in the FPL?

Sounds great! And to think, this video demonstrates the normal effects on ants. Imagine it in humans.

#29 Kinetic War

Kinetic War

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 05:55 AM

@ The Wolfman: The jury is still out on that one, but the idea I had is that everything goes, including the infected. We can make this our very own Raccoon City.

@ Nietzsche who fights zombies: Eww. Oddly fascinating, but... ewww. I like it how the fungi grows out of the ant's head.

#30 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 19 December 2009 - 07:47 PM

A violent toothpick with an overactive sex drive could be an FPL character.

#31 KevinDWolf93

KevinDWolf93

A fluffy puppy with a heart of gold!

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 12,353 posts
  • Interests:Mythology and other lore, reading, writing, Werewolves/wolves, weapons, science fiction, fighting, 19th/20th century literature (ex. Moby Dick, Call of the Wild, Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)

Posted 21 December 2009 - 11:04 AM

@ The Wolfman: The jury is still out on that one, but the idea I had is that everything goes, including the infected. We can make this our very own Raccoon City

Hmm. Well I wanna live through this, lol.

I have no opinion. Zombies arent my strong suit.

#32 Kinetic War

Kinetic War

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 03:57 PM

Bump.

Is this still on its way? If you're too busy to write the template, Zreth, I'll be more than happy to help.

#33 Zreth

Zreth

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 04:13 PM

Bump.

Is this still on its way? If you're too busy to write the template, Zreth, I'll be more than happy to help.

Help away I'm having trouble concentrating on this so I'll take all the help I can get.

#34 He who fights monsters

He who fights monsters

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 4,600 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 05:32 PM

Help away I'm having trouble concentrating on this so I'll take all the help I can get.

Need help? I volunteer!

#35 Zreth

Zreth

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 05:35 PM

Need help? I volunteer!

Okay I'll send what I have after I have given it to KW.

#36 Zreth

Zreth

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 08:28 PM

This is what it is going to be like for the template it's going to be seperated into types of character's which turn into diffrent PC zombies depending on character.

Brave Character/Cannibal
A Brave Character is the kind of person who does does things regardless of the danger and is usually the quickest to recover from a disaster. Brave character's tend to be good at inspiring other and the one that risks it all or extremly reckless. When turned they become savages and retain much of their physical abilities as humans somewhat improved and unlike other zombies they can carry simple weapons. The problem with them is that they unlike other zombies can tire out.

Charsimatic Character/Drama Queen
A Charismatic Character is the person that keeps the team together or tricks people into getting more rations. These people can be politican's to con-men or car salesmen they just have to be charming. When turned the zombie has either healed over the wound before they change or somehow when they change. These zombies can draw on past memories or copy other real people and are capable of imitating people and coping with them until they suddenly go out and start infecting people. Like Cannibal's they can use simple weapons and are also capable of using guns (With no accuracy what so ever), Their only flaw is they are only capable of moving as ffast as a normal zombie and although intelligent they won't really have in explanation if some zombies totally passes him/her by.

Smart Character/Swarmer
A Smart character can do many diffrent things from fixing a car to picking a lock to first aid or how to build a camera, they are a bag of tricks. A Smart character can be a mechanic or a doctor or student, they just have to be smart. When changed they retain some basic parts of their intelligence and also gain the ability to control other zombies telepathically. The problem with them is that they are in capable of imitating a person like a Drama Queen and are only capable of normal zombie physical abilities.

Strong Character/Behemoth
A Strong Character basically does all the heavy lifting and difficult physical tasks like lifting supplies or craking a table over a zombies head. These people tend to be blue collar workers or athletes. When turned the body gains muscle mass and tougher bones becoming giant monstrosities. Although larger and stronger then their human counterparts they are far slower and less flexible.

Fast Character/Runner
These people are people who go well.....fast in any way they can from running to driving car or riding horses. A Fast character is anyone with a way to move around fast like track runners or taxi drivers. When turned they become capable of running the speed that the past person was capable of without tiring. The problem here is that they are only capble of how fast the person is not car or horse and the arms of this zombies don't move at good speeds like normal zombies and aren't as strong.

Tough Character/Grubber
A tough character is someone who is determined and is capable of taking alot of pain and will still keep on going. A Tough character can be just about anyone but tends to be soliders, thugs or bodyguards. When changed the body collects alot of insects like maggots and what not, the virus intergrates the insects into the body fusiing them with the zombies making it a part of them and allowing the zombie control over the insects or spiders swarming over his body along with making them carry it's virus plus making the zombie be much harder to kill then a headshot and having the consistency of vomit. The downfall of this kind is that they are weaker and slower physically then other characters and are like insects attracted to bright lights as well as a weakness to electricity and fire.

Regular Joe/Moaner
These are NPC's character's the basic survivors that can get bossed around. The same goes for the zombies just that only Swarmers can order them around. Moaners are slow and give themselves away rather easily but they can move their arms rather fast and stronger then the average human as wel as not being able to tire.

Here is the template and everyone is reccomended to start human.

Name:It can be a nickname
Weight
Starting point: More then one person can be in a place but the person who wishes to be the leader there has to put leader beside the place. first come first serve.
Starting weapon: Options are (Carpenter hammer, Kitchen knife, Pistol 5 shots 10 rounds, home Depot rifle 3 shots 5 rounds and the stick of awesome)
Past Job:
Description: Detailed at least one paragraph unless it's real good.
Biography: What has your peron done. After Zombie Apoc. required before optional.
Skills and Fails: This is what you can do. Feel free to add anything just tell me what you've had done I might pitch in when I can.

This is for anyone who wants to help to work on I just really need a skill list.

#37 Zreth

Zreth

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:58 PM

Actually if you guys want you can make a character now and deal with the skills later.

#38 He who fights monsters

He who fights monsters

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 4,600 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:02 PM

That is a very promising character list. A little tweaks here and there would be nice, but they are not necessary for the whole RP.

#39 Zreth

Zreth

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:05 PM

That is a very promising character list. A little tweaks here and there would be nice, but they are not necessary for the whole RP.

Well actually I'm trying to seperate characters by type and what not they are not NPC's.

#40 He who fights monsters

He who fights monsters

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 4,600 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:06 PM

A good idea is a glass cannon type of zombie: Good offense, yet bed defense. They can use guns, yet are weaker than the other characters.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users