Photo
- - - - -

How Many Stories and Years Would Marvel go by before it Runs out of Ideas?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Diskyr

Diskyr

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Interests:Anything that suits me

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:58 PM

And?

#2 Adam Safran

Adam Safran

Don't feed him after midnight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:00 PM

And?

You mean it -hasn't-?

One More Day is basically about resetting Spidey to a status quo from the 80's. Not sure how many times Skrulls have invaded or tried to by pretending to be certain heroes and infiltrate society. Much less how many times we've had Symbiote invasions. Oh, Inferno, Jean dying/being reborn, more Summers relatives, more Phoenix WTF'ery...

#3 MarvelFan15

MarvelFan15

May I polish your boots, Marvel Man ?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
  • Interests:Fighting Frost-Giants, demons, Loki, and DC fanboys. Also: Sports, Movies, Comics, TV, Games (of any sort), books, cars, girls, and Video Games.

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:12 PM

You mean it -hasn't-?

One More Day is basically about resetting Spidey to a status quo from the 80's. Not sure how many times Skrulls have invaded or tried to by pretending to be certain heroes and infiltrate society. Much less how many times we've had Symbiote invasions. Oh, Inferno, Jean dying/being reborn, more Summers relatives, more Phoenix WTF'ery...

Sadly, this is true... :lol:

#4 Adam Safran

Adam Safran

Don't feed him after midnight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:17 PM

SPidey's utterly horrid about resetting a general status quo after a major shakeup as the char is getting stale. I mean.. Clone Wars? NOw they've reset it back to before Peter was invovled with MJ, and eh's still living with his Aunt off and on. Oh, Aunt May is invovled with another old man! Also happened in the eighties. Surprise surprise, JJJ is in a position of power now and using it to focus on Spidey..

Every time Spidey makes a step forwards, for better or worse, in characterization or scenario, it tends to get a big, fat, RESET button hit. I mean, even worse, look at his supporting cast. JJJ went from having a tepid stalemate with Spdiey and each fo them understanding where the other came from to.. Well, now he hates and is having Spidey actively hunted and putting bounties on him. No one remembers/cares that Osborn is a supervillain and such or a psychopath.. Eevn when well written (Friendly Spider-Man Neighborhood) the cast tends to be reset to the public consciousness of what they are whenever they make strides again.

Also, Betty realizing she has feelings for Peter? That's a throwback to the -sixties-.

#5 Marvel Man

Marvel Man

Get this crayon outta my nostril, PLEASE!

• CBUB Character Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts
  • Interests:Doing stuff... And fighting evil.

Posted 08 June 2009 - 11:24 PM

As long as Bendis is in power, retcons/bad moves will happen.

Heck, the guy had an obsession with Spider Woman and that's the only reason she's an Avenger/Skrull Queen.

As for One More Day, that was purely bad writing.

Spider Man once was a regular teenager. He lived with his Aunt & Uncle. Then he got Spider powers, and that changed his life. His uncle died, his first girlfriend died, his best friend died, etc. Finally, he met Mary Jane, and bam, his life didn't suck so much.

He grew up, and went to college. He got a clone, had a kid, then both died. He married, his wife became a supermodel, and he became an Avenger. Then, Bendis appeared.

Goodbye marriage, goodbye public identity, good bye originality. Such a horrible retcon (he's back at the Bugle/Aunt May/Friends with Harry?!) belongs only in DC.

Still, aside from him, things are flowing pretty well. Sure, the Skrulls were a small retcon, but nothing else. Look at the X-Men, pretty big changes. Hulk? He's a completely different guy. Same goes for Doc Strange, who's out of a job & the Universe (Annihilation).

I think Marvel has quite a lot of stories to tell...

#6 darthsketch

darthsketch

Released the Kraken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  • Interests:Movies, books, anime, comics, video games, music and pop culture.

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:57 AM

As long as Bendis is in power, retcons/bad moves will happen.

Heck, the guy had an obsession with Spider Woman and that's the only reason she's an Avenger/Skrull Queen.

As for One More Day, that was purely bad writing.

Spider Man once was a regular teenager. He lived with his Aunt & Uncle. Then he got Spider powers, and that changed his life. His uncle died, his first girlfriend died, his best friend died, etc. Finally, he met Mary Jane, and bam, his life didn't suck so much.

He grew up, and went to college. He got a clone, had a kid, then both died. He married, his wife became a supermodel, and he became an Avenger. Then, Bendis appeared.

Goodbye marriage, goodbye public identity, good bye originality. Such a horrible retcon (he's back at the Bugle/Aunt May/Friends with Harry?!) belongs only in DC.

Still, aside from him, things are flowing pretty well. Sure, the Skrulls were a small retcon, but nothing else. Look at the X-Men, pretty big changes. Hulk? He's a completely different guy. Same goes for Doc Strange, who's out of a job & the Universe (Annihilation).

I think Marvel has quite a lot of stories to tell...

Agreed

Still, as much as I hate to admit it...DC's universe is in much better shape right now, even after the ridiculous crisis and Bruce "dying" (yeah...let's see how long this lasts :o )

I haven't read a superhero comic for awhile now. I mostly stick to picking up the occasional Vertigo imprint or a volume of back-issues nowadays :lol:

#7 boston_celtics

boston_celtics

Released the Kraken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts
  • Interests:If I had any, why would I be on this site?

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:57 AM

Well, when I get there, there won't be any need to worry, because I'll fix everything. LoL.

Well, if marvel wants to avoid this happening, they need to get back to what made them big.

Creating NEW CHARACTERS. And not just throw-away side-kicks or the same guy with a different name or costume. New characters, with endearing and memorable personality and situation.

#8 Austo191

Austo191

Here Comes the Pain!

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:WWE, Video Games, Movies, and bringing the pain.

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:03 PM

They've already ran out of ideas.

They started their most popular superhero (Spider-Man) over again.

Before you know they'll hove World War Juggernaut, or World War Hulk 2.

tHen they'll make an alternate dimension in which Captain America was never unfrozen from the ice he was in.

Than in the Ultimates they'll have the white Nick Fury somehow meet up with the black one.

To completely honest DC's running out of ideas as well. They've had like 100 crisis's

Marvel and DC are about to be the wortst comic comany's in America.

#9 Tarvius

Tarvius

Ironwolverorschach Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:18 PM

Ill admit that the stories surrounding brand new day were trash, but recent issues haven't been all that bad. Yet Spider-man isn't the only marvel comic out there you know. The X-men had some major changes going on, and hopefully it'll
fix some of the crap that's surrounded them in recent years. Not only that, but I'm anticipating an epic return of one of my favorite villians, magneto. If that doesn't cut it for you, pick up the Old Man Logan storyline. If you're a fan of wolverine, then you can't go wrong with it.

As far as ideas go. Meh, right now Marvel seems to be revisiting past ideas, which like anything else works wonders sometimes, and other times it just doesn't go so well.

#10 Austo191

Austo191

Here Comes the Pain!

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:37 PM

Ill admit that the stories surrounding brand new day were trash, but recent issues haven't been all that bad. Yet Spider-man isn't the only marvel comic out there you know. The X-men had some major changes going on, and hopefully it'll
fix some of the crap that's surrounded them in recent years. Not only that, but I'm anticipating an epic return of one of my favorite villians, magneto. If that doesn't cut it for you, pick up the Old Man Logan storyline. If you're a fan of wolverine, then you can't go wrong with it.

As far as ideas go. Meh, right now Marvel seems to be revisiting past ideas, which like anything else works wonders sometimes, and other times it just doesn't go so well.

They're not visiting past ideas they're visiting past stories.

I bet you 10$ that Captain America (Steve Rodgers) comes back to life only evil, and fights and beats Captain America (Bucky). Then Captain America will turn to Captain *uncreative*, or Captain Terrorist.

#11 Tarvius

Tarvius

Ironwolverorschach Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:47 PM

...Where does a story come from?

...wait for it...

An idea!

#12 JudgeDeath

JudgeDeath

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:Comics, hot chicks, videogames, cute chicks, books, sexy chicks, good movies, and nice chicks.

Posted 09 June 2009 - 01:53 PM

Just give me a job up there. Even in this recession they'd be swimming in cash.

What they need are new villains (completely new, maybe even some new powers), and maybe a new hero or two. A hero with color, some of them are starting to go bland. We need betrayal, take someone who's been good since the 60's and make him try to destroy earth.

As far as Spiderman goes, there's one way to save his comics.
Somehow, if Pete didn't have MJ he would've lost a battle, and thousands of lives would have been lost. So Uatu (or Beyonder) steps in and brings things back to the way they used to be, somewhat. Then Uatu is punished for betraying the Watcher code, and has to fight Mephisto (sorry, didn't read the comic where this all happened, but he did it right) to redeem himself. Spidey should be taken back to just after he was married, and instead of starting over, they should rewrite his it from there. Pete gets a different job, has a couple of kids, and fights different villains.

#13 JudgeDeath

JudgeDeath

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:Comics, hot chicks, videogames, cute chicks, books, sexy chicks, good movies, and nice chicks.

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:02 PM

They're not visiting past ideas they're visiting past stories.

I bet you 10$ that Captain America (Steve Rodgers) comes back to life only evil, and fights and beats Captain America (Bucky). Then Captain America will turn to Captain *uncreative*, or Captain Terrorist.

You're on!

#14 MarvelFan15

MarvelFan15

May I polish your boots, Marvel Man ?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
  • Interests:Fighting Frost-Giants, demons, Loki, and DC fanboys. Also: Sports, Movies, Comics, TV, Games (of any sort), books, cars, girls, and Video Games.

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:13 PM

Umm...Hello!? Have you all been reading Thor lately? That comic series is full of great stories and ideas.

#15 JudgeDeath

JudgeDeath

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:18 PM

Umm...Hello!? Have you all been reading Thor lately? That comic series is full of great stories and ideas.

Yeah! I read a graphic novel that I picked up at BAM, it was awesome

#16 Austo191

Austo191

Here Comes the Pain!

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:09 PM

You're on!

It's sudenly become clear that Marvel is becoming washed up.

They're either killing off or completely destroying their best characters.

Sorry, Marvel but DC' about to be better than you.

#17 JudgeDeath

JudgeDeath

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 06:09 AM

It's sudenly become clear that Marvel is becoming washed up.

They're either killing off or completely destroying their best characters.

Sorry, Marvel but DC' about to be better than you.

They're not destroying their best characters (for one thing, it was only ONE!), they're getting rid of those who have no stories left in 'em.

#18 Austo191

Austo191

Here Comes the Pain!

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:05 AM

They're not destroying their best characters (for one thing, it was only ONE!), they're getting rid of those who have no stories left in 'em.

They killed off freakin' Captain America!

#19 Diskyr

Diskyr

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Interests:Anything that suits me

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:44 AM

You can still tell lots more stories about captain America

Even your average user in CBUB can create a spectacular piece of work rivaling that in Marvel

#20 RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Elder Predator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,866 posts
  • Interests:Alien, Predator, Alien vs Predator, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Terminator, Robocop, Highlander, Street Fighter, Dead or Alive, Soul Calibur, Dragonball Z, Darkstalkers, Rocky Balboa, Rambo, Psylocke, She-Hulk, Tifa Lockheart, Martial Arts, Tang Soo Do, Shotokan, Kyokushin, Shaolin, Wing Chun, Jeet Kun Do, Deadliest Warrior

Posted 10 June 2009 - 10:17 AM

Used to be a fan of Marvel during the 90s when the Maximum Carnage craze was going on. They even had a video game for that particular comic too, even in it's sequel, Seperation Anxiety. I also enjoyed the Clone saga too-- Ben Reilly's costume was awesome during his run as Spider-Man. After that, I just stopped reading Marvel comics and outgrew the franchise. I really don't find their stories to be appealing to me anymore... unless it's something like the Zombie series or Spider-Man: Reign.

Personally, I think Marvel should do more crossovers-- and not just with DC. I'd like to see intercompany crossover comics, infact I'd love to the Marvel vs Capcom series actually written, penciled, inked and published out to the public. I'd also like to see Marvel, DarkHorse and Twentieth Century Fox actually do a crossover for AvP with Marvel in a seperate universe similar to Earth-616, but with some minor differences.

I'd say Marvel has run out of ideas...

-Rakai'Thwei

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users