Photo

What Fantasy novel/Anime/Manga Universes could hold off a Tyranid invasion?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 Zreth

Zreth

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:50 PM

Or how about the Ultima summon. http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

#22 Skirmisher

Skirmisher

Field Marshal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,026 posts
  • Interests:The Halo Universe, Warhammer Fantasy and 40K, Deconstructing the Hype of Star Wars, Still Like Star Wars though...

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:53 PM

I challenge that with this.

Please note that their are more powerful summons.

I also find it funny that it would probably only deal 9999 damage...

Not that that would be classed as a an orbital asset, as such the hundreds of thousands if not millions of Tyranid ships would literally tear it apart and eat it. Please note that there are more powerful Tyrands out there... It would be like a Pack of wolves taking down an elephant, but they have the numbers to do it very easily.

#23 Skirmisher

Skirmisher

Field Marshal

• Members
  • 5,026 posts
  • Interests:The Halo Universe, Warhammer Fantasy and 40K, Deconstructing the Hype of Star Wars, Still Like Star Wars though...

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:56 PM

Or how about the Ultima summon. http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

Once again, Hive fleet descends on it like a pack of wolves... There's nothing from those two that I have seen, that put them out of the weight class of an IOM vessel, and a Hive fleet would easily be able to rip many of those apart in seconds to minutes.

#24 Skirmisher

Skirmisher

Field Marshal

• Members
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 10:59 PM

Here's an Idea, post all Space Based Summons from All the FF Games. If there are more than 100 then they stand a slim chance...

#25 Zreth

Zreth

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:04 PM

Okay, How about Safer Sephiroth...

For anyone who wonders or looks at this and went WTF?!?! yeah I did that too...

#26 Zreth

Zreth

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:08 PM

Or how about Ultimecia when she begins reaching Omnipotence.

#27 Zreth

Zreth

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:10 PM

I also belive it said Fantasy Novel not game.

#28 Zreth

Zreth

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:12 PM

Also how about Sin who's most basic attack can bust planets.

#29 ricrery

ricrery

Part of the Rag-Tag Fugitive Fleet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:16 PM

What about Chaos Gods who "destroy planets with mere words?"?

#30 Zreth

Zreth

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 3,038 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 11:17 PM

What about Chaos Gods who "destroy planets with mere words?"?

Well I'm pretty sure these guys are not the Chaos Gods.

#31 Guest_Ivan_*

Guest_Ivan_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2009 - 12:39 AM

This fight is stupid and one-sided. Change the parameters if you want to have an interesting discussion.

#32 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 03 December 2009 - 10:10 AM

Yet, I could watch Warhammer cinematics all day.

#33 zig7

zig7

SPOOOON!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 02:31 PM

I have a few ideas, although I'm not sure they would work again, because I don't know much about the Tyranids.

First Idea:

How would a machine planet fair? It sounds like Tyranids get stronger based on the biomass that they consume. Would they be able to consume machines and get stronger? I would like to use the Thinking Machines from Dune as an example, but their empire expands multiple planets unfortunately so they don't count.

My second Idea would be a planet completely surrounded by a shield. I can't think of any specific examples of this, but I also know that it would be possible in the Dune universe. It was just never implemented, because humanity never needed it, and there is the issue of the Holtzman Effect. I'm not sure if the Tyranids use any lazer weapons, but if they didn't then the Holtzman Effect would not be a problem.

The last idea I have might have the best chance of victory, but it may depend on the Tyranid tactics. The planet I'm referring to is everyday earth from the Ender's Game series. They have a weapons called the Molecular Disruption Device. It sets up a field in which molecules can't be held together anymore. The field expands into a sphere and gets weaker the further it spreads but when the field runs into more molecules the process starts over again, creating an even stronger field.

More info here.

Basically the number of uses of this weapons to win would depend on how close together the Tyranids are. Obviously they would to meet them in space to set off these weapons to not destroy their own earth, but if they were going to lose anyway, then they could use the weapons to destroy the planet, and then at least the Tyranids would not win.

Again, this would only be a valid choice if this weapon was invented before other planets where colonized, because I know eventually the earth government controls more than one planet.

Personally I think we should change the rules to include planets which are part of a greater organization, except that they can receive no reinforcements from that organization and can only have the troops and ships and stuff that that one planet can support/maintain.

#34 Skirmisher

Skirmisher

Field Marshal

• Members
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 02:52 PM

I have a few ideas, although I'm not sure they would work again, because I don't know much about the Tyranids.

First Idea:

How would a machine planet fair? It sounds like Tyranids get stronger based on the biomass that they consume. Would they be able to consume machines and get stronger? I would like to use the Thinking Machines from Dune as an example, but their empire expands multiple planets unfortunately so they don't count.

They've attacked Machine Worlds before, but since they're only after more Biomass, they would have no reason to attack a World devoid of any...

My second Idea would be a planet completely surrounded by a shield. I can't think of any specific examples of this, but I also know that it would be possible in the Dune universe. It was just never implemented, because humanity never needed it, and there is the issue of the Holtzman Effect. I'm not sure if the Tyranids use any lazer weapons, but if they didn't then the Holtzman Effect would not be a problem.

They only use organic and Bio-Plasma weapons. As for attacking a shielded world, they could theoretically cover the shield blocking all light off and starving the planet, that would also create an effective blockade. This is also assuming that they can't just Bash the shield down...

The last idea I have might have the best chance of victory, but it may depend on the Tyranid tactics. The planet I'm referring to is everyday earth from the Ender's Game series. They have a weapons called the Molecular Disruption Device. It sets up a field in which molecules can't be held together anymore. The field expands into a sphere and gets weaker the further it spreads but when the field runs into more molecules the process starts over again, creating an even stronger field.

More info here.

Basically the number of uses of this weapons to win would depend on how close together the Tyranids are. Obviously they would to meet them in space to set off these weapons to not destroy their own earth, but if they were going to lose anyway, then they could use the weapons to destroy the planet, and then at least the Tyranids would not win.

Again, this would only be a valid choice if this weapon was invented before other planets where colonized, because I know eventually the earth government controls more than one planet.

That would work... They have no energy shields with which they might be able to block it, they Swarm in large and closely nit formations, and generally act in a very animalistic behavior... unless overrided by the Hivemind.

Personally I think we should change the rules to include planets which are part of a greater organization, except that they can receive no reinforcements from that organization and can only have the troops and ships and stuff that that one planet can support/maintain.

Agreed.

#35 The Technomancer of Nesh

The Technomancer of Nesh

Hoid

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 6,252 posts
  • Interests:Shonen anime/manga
    reading/writing fantasy novels
    reading/writing fanfiction

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:03 PM

The Big Gete Star, from The Return of Cooler. It's Technically not a planet in and of itself but feeds of biomass like a Tyranid Fleet. Play along her for a second. Let's say the Tyranids went attack a planet but landed to find that Metal Cooler and the Big Gete Star had already drained it and a bttle ensues. The Big Gete Star is a thinking machine that merged with Cooler and is able to fix any flaws in Cooler Mechanized body, in other words it's adaptable. Now keep in mid that there are thousands of these Metal Coolers on the Big Gete Star and that it took two Super Saiyans to defeat one. Each one can fire ki blasts and Instant Transmission an will use Tyrandis to fuel itself. I think the Big Gete Star could Take a Tyranid fleet.

#36 ricrery

ricrery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 05:55 PM

Actually, can they get past the Zoanthropes?

And can't they send planets worth of biomass against it? The Gete Star was destroyed by two people who can't survive planet busters. And wouldn't wouldn't the Hive Mind be there to screw up Cooler, who powered the Gete Star?

#37 The Technomancer of Nesh

The Technomancer of Nesh

Hoid

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 6,252 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 05:57 PM

Actually, can they get past the Zoanthrope?

And can't they send planets worth of biomass against it? The Gete Star was destroyed by two people who can't survive planet busters.

Wrong Super Saiyans can breathe in space but they can tank planet busting shots.

#38 ricrery

ricrery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 06:07 PM

No they can't. Stop making things up. Can the tank anything else than Ki? Hmm? Oh, that's right, no they can't. So the blast would probably just go THROUGH the bio-plasma. Besides, what if their brains have disintegrated from telepaths?

#39 The Technomancer of Nesh

The Technomancer of Nesh

Hoid

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 6,252 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 06:11 PM

No they can't. Stop making things up. Can the tank anything else than Ki? Hmm? Oh, that's right, no they can't. So the blast would probably just go THROUGH the bio-plasma. Besides, what if their brains have disintegrated from telepaths?

I'm not making anything up. Besides we're no longer disscussing the Saiyans anyway.

#40 ricrery

ricrery

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 06:15 PM

I already brought up quadrillions-quintillions of telepaths that can destroy tanks in one shot. So, considering I never watched Cooler's Return, how would that fare?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users