Photo
- - - - -

Match 14627 Lexo Skel-Suit 5000 and Team Luthor vs. Iron Man

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:14 AM

This is part of an arc; the last installment is Duncan MacLeod vs. Elektra

Here is the wrap up for Morbius vs. the Ventriloquist & Scarface

Elisa Maza and Morbius have broken into Hugo Strange's clinic after hours. They are using Strange's mind reading machine to get information from him when Strange's ally, Scarface butsts in. Scarface is accompanied by his thugs Muggsy and Rhino and (of course) the Ventriloquist.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Eat hot lead, youse mugs!" Scarface shouted. The mini-Tommy-gun the dummy carried chattered as it spat a storm of gunfire through the room. Elisa ducked behind the heavy oaken desk while Morbius launched himself up and toward the gangsters with greater than human agility. The bullets struck electronic equipment causing sparks to fly, and then shattered the overhead lights.

"Get em!" Scarface shouted.

Rhino lurched forward, interposing his massive body between scarface and Morbius. The Living Vampire smalled into him, causing him to stumble backward through the door.

Elisa stayed under cover as an automatic pistol opened up in her direction. That would be the Ventriloquist's other man, she decided. Raising her head over the edge of the desk, she snapped off two shots at the muzzle flashes and was rewarded with a cry of pain.

"Boss!" Muggsy shouted. "O'Hirn! She got me!"

"Keep fightin' you pantywaist!" Scarface shouted.

"I can't, Boss. I'm dying."

"You'd better hope you're dyin'!" Scarface shouted. "If I find out she just winged you, It's curtains, Mugsy! Curtains!"

The dummy let loose another burst that sent Elisa diving to the floor.

In the outer office, Rhino had managed to catch Morbius in a bearhug that even his enhanced strength couldn't break. As the big man's muscles strained, the Living Vampire felt his ribs on the verge of collapse.

I didn't want this, he thought, but I see I have no choice.

Opening his mouth wide, he sank his fangs into the huge man's shoulder and drank deep. Gradually Rhino's grip weakened and he struggled to let go, but the re-invigorated Morbius continued to hold on. After a few minutes, the big man slumped to the floor and Morbius stood, staring down for a moment. He saw that the giant was still breathing and let out a sigh of relief. He'd managed to win a victory over his thirst… this time. Turning, he linged back into Strange's inner office.

"I--I think you must have hit her, Scarface," the Ventriloquist said.

"Head over there and check, Dummy!" Scarface replied. "She might be playin' possum. You can't ever trust a dame!"

Elisa lay very still as the bizarre pair approached. She didn't want to shoot the Ventriloquist. He wasn't evil, just sick. Unfortunately, she might not have the choice. The compassion she felt for the man didn't make him any less dangerous.

Then Morbius stepped into the room and Scarface fired a withering burst that drove him behind some filing cabinets. Seizing her chance, Elisa pounced from behind the desk to grapple with him. The little man fought with more ferocity than she had expected. Ventriloquist broke away, leaving her holding Scarface. He pointed the Tommy-gun at her before she could raise her pistol.

"No!" Morbius cried, racing with superhuman speed across the room.

"St-stop right there, monster," the Ventriloquist said. "One m-more step and I'll cut your f-friend down."

Realizing he couldn't reach the man in time, Morbius did as he was told.

"N-now, you're going to l-let me and Mr. Scarface g-go," the Ventriloquist said.

"I don't think so," Elisa said. The Ventriloquist turned and saw that she had raised her pistol and was holding it to Scarface's temple. "Drop your weapon or your boss gets it."

"Don't listen to her, Dummy!" Scarface said. "She won't shoot, she's a cop."

"I d-don't know, Mr. scarface," the Ventriloquist replied. "Sh-she's crazy. I s-saw her in a cell at Arkham."

"I don't care!" Scarface said. "No member of my mob is gonna' back down to a frail! Shoot her!"

"B-but, I might h-hit you," the little man sobbed.

"Dummy, I'm tellin--" Scarface's voice cut off with an inarticulate gurgle as Elisa shoved the muzzle of her weapon into his mouth.

"You're right," she said. "I'm just crazy enough to shoot him, so drop your weapon. Nobody needs to get hurt."

The Ventriloquist looked like he was about to collapse into tears. Suddenly he turned toward Morbius and began to fire. Only the Living Vampire's speed saved him from the storm of lead.

Elisa fired three rounds and Scarface's head exploded into splinters.

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"  the Ventriloquist wailed. The gun fdropped from his limp fingers and he lurched toward the broken dummy. A moment later, Morbius caught and held him in an unbreakable grip.

"That was… strange," he said.

"Yes it…" Elisa said, then she remembered. "Strange!" she said. She moved to the device where Hugo Strange was strapped to the mind-reading machine. The scientist lay there, his eyes vacant, a line of drool coming from his mouth.

"What happened?" Morbius asked.

"When the bullets tore up his machine, I think it must have fried his brain," Elisa said.

"He deserved it," Morbius said.

"He deserved a lot of things," she replied with a shiver. "But I don't think anyone deserved that.

Hobie Brown slipped in the front door of the apartment he shared with his big brother. He really appreciated Abe letting him stay here instead of with Mom and his six other sblings. Abe wasn't at home and Hobie figured he was teaching classes at the kung fu school. that was good, because he needed privacy.

He went into his bedroom. It was big, a lot bigger than you'd expect for an apartment in this neighborhood, which suited Hobie perfectly. Aside from his bed, the place was fixed up as a workshop, and all geared toward his master project.

He put on the jumpsuit first. Hobie was a good student, especially in science, and had taught himself more than his teachers ever had. He'd treated the dark green fabric and made it really tough. It was close to impossible to cut it with a knife (he'd broken a lot of pairs of scissors making it into a costume) and he thought it might even resist pistol bullets. The boots came next; their soles that would grip better than anything on the market and were cushioned to allow him to drop from impressive heights. The writsbands came next, they were powered by a miniaturized air compressor of his own design. They could sire a variety of projectiles and even an air blast by itself was enough to put a grown man on his back. The cape, made of the same treated cloth, was ribbed and could allow him to glide for likmited distances. The gauntlets had powerful claws for climbing or cutting, and were tipped with a carbon compound of his own invention that could cut glass like a diamond. Finally, he put on the mask. He'd cannibalized an expensive camera to create the low-light lenses in it.

He stepped back to look at himself in the mirror and drew a deep breath. Hobie Brown was gone; in his place stood an awe-inspiring creature of the night.

He nodded, satisfied with the result and moved to the window. Spiderman had been missing for days and crime was getting worse. There were rumors of a gang way between the Maggia and some mysterious crime boss, and the garden variety crooks and violent offenders were getting bolder. If Spidey wasn't around to stop them, maybe the Prowler could do something!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"You wanted to see me, Mr. Luthor?" the little man said.

"Indeed, Mr. Tetch," Lex Luthor said. "I have a project that could benefit from your specialty."

"I don't know, sir," Jervis Tetch replied. "My parole--"

"I didn't take you for the kind of person who would worry about such things," Luthor said. "Is that what you are, Mr. Tetch… a frightened little man?"

"N-no, sir," Jervis said, cringing.

Lex's face relaxed into a broad smile and he leaned over Tetch's chair.

"I didn't think so," he purred. "You and I are rather similar, Mr. Tetch. We are men of vision; men of genius. The rules that constrain ordinary men are not for such as us, are they?"

"Um… no sir," Tetch said, relaxing a little.

"And you are a man of singular vision," Luthor continued. "Your mind-control chips are inspired. I've often thought of the great things your technology could accomplish in the right hands. It could bring an end to crime, to terrorism… why you and I could accomplish peace on earth. That is… if you don't think your parole officer doesn't mind."

"Why, I…" Jervis Tetch paused, warkming to his employer's ideas. "I don't think there's any reason to trouble him with any of this, Mr. Luthor. He is a rather small-minded man."

"I'm glad you understand," Luthor said. "Now, I have a project underway. It's being run by one of my vice-presidents, Ms. Destine. She's working to genetically engineer superior beings who can be used as laborers, soldiers, and so on. The problem is, some of these specimens have been proving difficult to control. Ms. Destine is working on a pheromone based solution, but I thought we might go with a proven technology instead."

"My technology?" Jervis asked.

"You read my mind, Mr. Tetch," Luthor said. "I'd like for you to report to her laboratories and get to work on this right away."

"Of course, Mr. Luthor," Jervis said, rising.

"There's just one more thing," Luthor said.

"Yes, sir?"

"I don't want Ms. Destine or her team to know about this."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Evening settled over Gotham, bringing heavy rainclouds with it. As the sun set, Goliath, Broadway, and Angela came alive to greet the night.

"Goliath!" Elisa ran to him and held him tight. "I'm so glad you're alright."

"The stone sleep cures many things," the big gargoyle said, "even gunshot wounds."

"How did your mission go?" Broadway asked.

"Well," Morbius replied. "We learned a great deal from Hugo Strange. We know where we need to go now, but we will need help."

"I put in a call to Matt," Elisa said turning serious. "Goliath… I'm sorry but there have been some problems in Manhattan."

"Is the rest of the clan alright?" Goliath asked.

"Yes, but the clock tower was attacked. The damage wasn't too bad, but the whole precinct saw Hudson and the others. You can't go back there any more."

"Father," Angela said. "Our home."

"We shall deal with that in due time," Goliath said. "For now, we have more urgent matters. We must send for Hudson and the others."

"I told Matt," Elisa said. "He said they're on the way, with a friend."

"Good," Goliath said. "I sense this will take all of out strength."

"In case that isn't enough, I was going to make another call," Elisa said.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rabbi Luria sat with the eight others in the room above the Rags 'n Tatters shop on Yancy Street. Josiah Regan, who owned the place, shifted anxiously. Next to him his son looked just as uncomfortable, though for different reasons.

"Relax, Josiah," Luria said. "He'll be here."

"It's after sundown," Regan said, "Shabbat has started."

"You're telling me?" the Rabbi raised his eyebrows and smiled. "He's been delayed; it's not the end of the world."

"Aye," Regan said, and rose to look out the window again.

Rabbi Luria let his gaze shift around the room. It was quite a minyan that had gathered, mostly middle aged or elderly, but more than a few of them had lived impressive lives. Joseph Shapiro was the olders and had served in the famous Easy Company in World War 2; Manny Goldberg had once been a heavyweight contender before losing a split decision to Ted Grant; Chiam David was a hand to hand combat instructor for the IDF, who was in Manhattan visiting relatives, George Cohen had been a circus strongman, Peter Goldberg had been on the Israeli gymnastics team during the tragic 1972 Olympic games, and the others had unusual lives as well.

"There he is," Josiah said.

A moment later they heard a ring tone, a snipet of a U-2 song.

"He couldn't turn his cell off for Shabbat?" Josiah said, rolling his eyes.

"I'll go and see what is going on," the Rabbi said.

Moving out the door, he encountered Max Lowe on the stairs.

"Yes, Elisa," the younger man said. "You can count on me." Then he closed his cell and pocketed it with a guilty look.

"I'm sorry, Rabbi," he said.

"An emergency?" Luria asked.

"I'm afraid so. I really hate running out on you like this."

"Don't worry," the Rabbi said. "It is permitted to break nearly any law of Torah if you need to save a life."

"I appreciate you understanding," Max said.

"Maybe you could send your golem to complete out little group," Luria said. "They say an artificially created being cannot be part of a minyan, but I think there is a good argument for allowing it."

"I'm afraid the Golem is needed as urgently as I am," Max said.

After Max had left the Rabbi returned to the upper room.

"I'm afraid we don't have our tenth man," he said.

"Great!" Rory said. "So I don't need to stick around either, right?"

"Rory, show some respect," Josiah said. "It's still Shabbat."

"I'm not going to work," the young man said. "Just to a costume party." Before his father could respond, Rory hurried out of the room.

"I apologize for my son," Josiah said. "He's met a girl and… you know."

"I'm glad you decided to come, Tony," Lex Luthor said. He and Tony Stark were walking down a corridor in one of LexCorp's facilities. Their bodyguards, Tsukuri and Shang Chi followed close behind.

"How could I refuse?" Stark said. "A summons from the evil genius himself."

"You will have your little jokes," Luthor said, forcing a smile. "Seriously, Tony, I find that I need you."

"Is this the beginning of a beautiful bromance?" Tony asked. "Really Lex, I'[m flattered, but--"

"I'm serious," Luthor said. "Are you familiar with the Lexo Skel-suit 5000?"

"Your walking battle tank?" Tony asked. "Sure I am. It's the latest in weapons systems, all ready for you to sell to the worst regimes on earth."

"Actually, I've been thinking of getting out of the armaments business," Luthor replied. "I was thinking of retasking the suit for deep space operations. With a little modification it could operate on the surface of the Moon, Mars, even Venus. Unfortunately, there's a design flaw that my people can't seem to correct."

Tony stopped in his tracks and stared at Luthor. "And you want me to do it for you?"

Who better?" Luthor said. "Actually, I was thinking of making this a joint LexCorp and SI project… maybe the first of many joint ventures in the exploitation of space."

"Gee, Lex," Tony said. "As much as it gives me goosebumps to hear you say 'exploitation' I think I'm going to pass."

"Could you at least look at the problem?" Luthor asked. "It's something in the neural interface and it's potentially deadly to my pilots."

Tony sighed. "Sure, take me to it."

As they reached the entrance to the testing lab, they heard explosions and a technician came running out, a terrified look on his face.

"What's happening?" Luthor demanded, grabbing the man by the lapels of his labcoat.

"The Lexo skel-5000!" the man said. "It's gone berserk."

"Tsukuri, call for evacuation and notify Team Luthor," Lex said. "I'm going in."

"I'm going with you," Stark said.

"No," Luthor said. "It's my suit so it's my problem. You and your man should get out now."

Luthor forced his way through the door shutting it behind him. explosions continued to sound from within the room.

"Shang Chi," help Tsukuri. "I'm going to help that bald idiot."

"That does not sound wise," Shang Chi said. "I should--"

"You should do what I say," Tony said. "You're good, Shang, but you aren't Iron Man."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A moment later Iron Man burst through the door to find the five members of Team Luthor circling the ten foot suit of armor. He activated his boot jets and rocketed to join them.

"Mills, you and your people distract that thing," he said. "I think I can--"

"Sorry Stark," Corey Mills said. "That's not how this is going to work."

One of the armored fighters, a woman, slammed into Iron Man, stunning him, then another blasted him with a grenade. He hit the ground and looked up to see the giant Skel-suit and the five members of Team Luthor converging on him.

"Great," he muttered.

This is an early version of the Iron Man suit. It amplifies Tony's strength 25 times, has repulsors, uni-beam, magnetic rays, jet-skates and the power to generate several duplicate images of Iron Man. The armor is proof against small arms fire but heavy weapons including Gladiator's blades, Whiplash's whip, and the most powerful military rifles with AP rounds can damage it.

Team Luthor consists of five armored fighters, none of whom have any super powers aside from their armor. They are: Corey Mills, Roxanne Sutton, Lester Buchinski , Robert Dubois  and Lyle Bolton. Each of them is wearing a suit with the powers of Mills' prototype suit.

The Lexo Skel-suit 5000 is the battlesuit that fought Superman in "The Last Son of Krypton" the pilot episode of Superman, the Animated Series. It is being piloted by Major Clifford Zmeck.

Just a couple of notes: For the purposes of this arc (though it won't ever really get used) Rhino is the same person as O'Hirn, Flint Marko's criminal partner in Spectacular Spiderman.

Also, "It's curtains for you Mugsy!" comes from an old Bugs Bunny cartoon: Racketeer Rabbit.

#2 Callisto

Callisto

Goddess

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,497 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 05:14 AM

Learn More About
Team Luthor
Read more about Team Luthor at Wikipedia
Official Site: DC Comics Links: Wikipedia DC Wikia Atomic Avenue

Lexo Skel-Suit 5000
Read more about Lexo Skel-Suit 5000 at Wikipedia
Official Site: DC Comics Links: Entry for "Last Son of Krypton&quot DCAU Wiki Villains Wiki

Iron Man
Read more about Iron Man at Wikipedia
Official Site: Marvel Comics Links: Wiki Iron Man Entry Marvel Directory Iron Man page Iron Man Armory

#3 DSkillz

DSkillz

'Member me?

• Administrators
  • 5,216 posts
  • Interests:Surfing the 'Net, playing and watching basketball, reading, playing video games, writing, going to the movies, watching TV, traveling

Posted 22 August 2013 - 04:47 PM

Great set-up as usual, Dinsdale. Another day in the life of the Ventriloquist, I guess. :D And more nice developments, I see. Makes me wonder where else this arc would've gone. :(

As for the match, I don't like Tony's odds here. Even if the Lexo Skel-Suit's power is toned down to more suitable levels than when it gave Superman a good fight ('til Supes got serious, that is), between it and Team Luthor, this version of Iron Man's still outnumbered and outgunned.

#4 Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:57 PM

I don't know everything about where the arc would have gone but I'll try to post some general ideas before Saturday.

#5 Callisto

Callisto

Goddess

• Administrators
  • 8,497 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 12:06 PM

Match Final Results
USER RATINGS
DSkillz gives it a grade of [A] - As usual, great recap and developments here!
SCORE
Team Luthor and Lexo Skel-Suit 5000: 4
Iron Man: 11
FPA: 4.0

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users