Match 2315 Raistlin Majere vs. Voldemort

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_callisto_*

Guest_callisto_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2009 - 12:20 AM

Somewhere in the vast realm of Dragonlance heaven, the now complete collection of deceased Heroes of the Lance sit together under the shade of a massive vallenwood tree, enjoying each other's company in a picnic. A de-aged Tanis sits cuddled together with his lovely wife Laurana, talking peacefully with a likewise younger version of Goldmoon and Riverwind. Across from them sits Tika Waylan Majere, the perky redhead enjoying a light conversation with the knight Sturm Brightblade, both trying futilely to ignore the sounds of Tika's husband Caramon, who's engorging himself on everything within arm's reach while trading tales of battle with the burly dwarf Flint Fireforge. Last but certainly not least, the lively Tasslehoff sits off in the corner with Raistlin, bugging the eerie black mage to no end.

"Tasslehoff..." Raistlin sighed after receiving the unth request by the kender to see one of his magic tricks. "For the last time, I'm not going to cast any spells for you. My stock of ingredients is somewhat limited by this realm, and until I can find a reasonable means of obtaining further components, I'm not going to waste my most powerful spells on the futile task of holding a kender's attention span."

"PLEASE RAISTLIN!" Tas persisted, pleading desperately to see one of his oh so admired spells. "Just one fireball, for old time's sake!"

"Tas, when have I ever cast fireball around you Tas?"

"Well...never, come to think of it." The kender laughed heartily. "All the more reason you should cast one now though!"

"No, Tasslehoff..."

"Tas," Tanis smiled wearily, sensing the black mage's temper rising. "he's not going to break any time soon. Why don't you tell Caramon and Flint one of your stories from the Chaos Wars. I know they're just dying to hear it."

"Like hell I am!" Flint roared suddenly, glaring at his laughing comrade. "The last thing I want right now is to hear one of the kender's long-winded fairy tales!"

"They're not fairy tales!" Tasslehoff huffed, clearly offended by the accusation. "I really did help defeat Chaos! I did it with Palin and Uma! It's actually a funny story when you think about it. See..."

And so the kender went off on one of his endless stories, much to the grief of the tired dwarf. Tanis smiled devilishly as he glanced back at Raistlin, who was enjoying his reclaimed solitude. He had to hand it to the mage; it wasn't too long ago he would have pummeled Tas with unimaginable death threats to keep him quiet. Raistlin had really taken a new leaf since settling in the other world...it reminded him of old times.

"What are you thinking of Tanis?" Laurana asked, drawing her husband away from his thoughts.

"Oh, just thinking about how happy I am to be re-united with my friends and family." He smiled happily at her. She smiled back gently.

"Well isn't this a lovely picture." A cheery, offbeat voice called some distance away. The heroes' attention was drawn to it instantly, and the sight they saw was recognized instantly by all of them: the elderly, gray-cloaked wizard Fizban.

"FIZBAN!" Tasslehoff cried, leaping from his seat in the grass to welcome one of his dearest friends. "You're just in time! You can vouch for me that I was there during the Chaos Wars, can't you? That I helped defeat Chaos!"

"Tasslehoff, quit bothering Paladine with your hair-brained stories!" Flint hollared. "The gods have better things to do than babysit kender!"

"What's that?" Fizban said, his eyes widening suddenly. "Paladine's here, you say?! Where is he? Oh, me and him go way back, you know. As far as the begining of time, in fact. Did I ever tell you about the time..."

"Perhaps you could enchant us with your stories some other time, old one." Raistlin said politely, rising slowly from his spot in the grass. "I believe you came here for a reason?"

"Oh, quite right." Fizban grinned, pulled back to reality once more. "I actually came to speak to you, Raistlin. I've met the most interesting person just now who I thought you might like to meet!"

"Really now?" Raistlin said, a bit wary of this invitation. He knew the old, playful avatar of Paladine liked to speak indirectly, and wasn't sure how to interpret this message.

"Yes, he's on his way over right now!" Fizban smiled innocently. "Quite the angry fellow though, so you might want to be careful. Says he came from another dimension, after being killed by some boy and sent to hell. Not the abyss, mind you, but another kind of hell. You aught to trade stories with him if you get the chance. He's a wizard like you, though I've never seen magic the way he's cast it."

"How do you mean?" Raistlin asked, curious now despite getting the feeling that this was no simple meeting of friends.

"Well, he uses a wand to cast his spells. It's the strangest thing, though it seems to be the only thing he needs to cast magic. No other ingredients or components or anything!"

"Interesting..."

"Why, there he is now!" Fizban smiled, pointing into the sky where a snake-faced wizard in black robes came soaring down toward the group of friends.

"Interesting..." Raistlin repeated, his hands moving instinctively to his pouches as he grabbed ingredients for one of his spells.

"I think it might be a good idea if we moved out of the way." Tanis said to the others, rising from his seat and helping Laurana up as the others rose too. "This doesn't look like it's going to be a polite meeting."

"Damn cut-throat wizards." Flint grumbled as he walked a safe distance away with the others. "Always trying to blow each other's heads off for some confound reason or another!"

"This is going to be exciting!" Tas smiled, oblivious to the dangerous situation as usual. "I just love watching Raistlin cast his spells. I hope he uses fireball, that one's my favorite!"

"Oh, I imagine that spell will come up eventually." Fizban smiled, though his face was remarkably more aged and serious than it had been a moment ago. "I just hope it will be enough..."

And so, as the Heroes of the Lance sat down to watch the nearing Voldemort, an epic battle of mages would quickly unfold.

#2 super1mm

super1mm

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 12:28 AM

This story is set in a somewhat unrealistic timeline, since Paladine is still a god and Raistlin and the other Heroes of the Lance are all already dead (even though Raistlin went to the other world at pretty much the same time Paladine gave up his god status), but I just love the way the story rolled out as I started typing. If you can ignore that slight plothole, I think it's a pretty good story. If you aren't familiar with Raistlin's character, then I'd suggest you read up on it before voting, as he's one of the most powerful wizards of his world (if not THE most powerful). I personally think this would be a pretty even match, though there are some deciding factors I'll leave you all to think of.

#3 TheJ0ke

TheJ0ke

Nuked the fridge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 03:47 AM

almost perfect setup and great character choice. its also very nice to see someone using the dragon lance characters (great job on the characterization) and not putting old voldy in an unfair/stupid match.
hard to say but i think voldy wins because he can use spells much more easily/quickly and can apparate (teleport for non-hp readers) around the battlefield.

#4 Hugo Fowl

Hugo Fowl

I am One with the Ferret.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,162 posts
  • Interests:Discworld, Hellsing, Kingdom Hearts, writing, RP's, drama, etc.

Posted 01 December 2009 - 09:44 PM

I second that. Plus, unless he can knock that wand out of his hands, this fight will de-evolve into a stamina match. How long will ol' Rai's ingredients last in this fight? I'm also guessing Avada Kedavera is useless here too........

#5 victim36

victim36

Don't feed him after midnight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:40 PM

I agree with Hugo. The issue really boils down to who can keep going the longest. I like Raistlin, but he has limited supplies. Voldermort just needs his wand to cast everything.
Voldermort, by still being alive when Raist runs out of components.

#6 super1mm

super1mm

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:27 PM

Raistlin's reliance on components is one of the issues I was hoping to see brought up, but I'd personally think that his superior abundance and quality of spells would more than make up for it. Voldemort's a powerful wizard and all, but as has been mentioned, his death spell presumably wouldn't work on someone whose already dead, and aside from that one I don't think he has as many spells as Raistlin does of epic power. Raistlin defeated ALL the gods in one timeline, and the only reason he didn't do it in the main one is because Caramon and Tas convinced him not to (IIRC), so he'd still logically have all of the necessary spells to do so with. If those spells can take down gods, I'd think they could take down Voldemort.

#7 TheJ0ke

TheJ0ke

Nuked the fridge

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 09:10 PM

Raistlin's reliance on components is one of the issues I was hoping to see brought up, but I'd personally think that his superior abundance and quality of spells would more than make up for it. Voldemort's a powerful wizard and all, but as has been mentioned, his death spell presumably wouldn't work on someone whose already dead, and aside from that one I don't think he has as many spells as Raistlin does of epic power. Raistlin defeated ALL the gods in one timeline, and the only reason he didn't do it in the main one is because Caramon and Tas convinced him not to (IIRC), so he'd still logically have all of the necessary spells to do so with. If those spells can take down gods, I'd think they could take down Voldemort.

that depends, r voldemort's horcruxes still active?
either way i think that ol' voldy could block or at the very least dogde most of raist's spells (ie apparating/disapparating) long enough for raist to run out of ingredients and stamina.
being the most powerful dark wizard ever (in hp that is) im sure voldy knows a spell that would immobalize or imprison raist.

#8 zig7

zig7

SPOOOON!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 05:10 PM

First off, it seems like everyone is assuming that Voldemort's spells will work the way they work back in the HP universe. This may not necessarily be true, but since we have no evidence one way or the other, I will make the same assumption.

I'm not sure if Voldemort could block Rastlin's spells like he can back in the HP universe. It seems to me like spells in the HP universe which are blockable are usually the ones which are just a "beam of energy for lack of a better term" which causes some effect upon striking the target. Whereas most of Rastline's spells will involve conjuring up the energy in some physical form and then directing it towards the target, such as a fireball, lightning bolt, ect... I believe that it is just as likely if not more likely that these kinds of attacks will not be blockable by Voldemort's normal wand waving method.

Secondly, I'm not sure if Rastlin had time to cast any defensive spells or if he has any magic defensive items. If not then he is definitely at a disadvantage, because of how fast Voldemort can cast spells.

However in the book Brothers in Arms, Rastlin does learn how to cast some spells without the use of the proper components. The closest thing I could find to a reference to this is in a review of the book here under the Lord Sivart review. Just search for the word components to find it. However he also points out that this ability seems to leave Rastlin in later books, so I'm not sure how that works out. If anyone has any more information about this then please let me know. In any case if he can cast any spells without the components then it would probably be simple ones like magic missile.

Finally, I'm not sure how the power levels of the two magics would equal out. Sure HP magic has stuff that can kill instantly and do some other crazy stuff, but hasn't magic users in Dragonlance done stuff like manipulate time and other crazy things? I'm not so sure if anything in HP can compare to that. But again, I don't remember the later books very well, so I could have forgotten things.

#9 supersaynboy

supersaynboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:41 PM

WOW....You guys are WAY off...Lol

Voldemort wouldn't even be able to hurt Raistin. Voldemort couldn't even beat Harry Potter. You think Potter would beat Raistlin? Or you think Raistlin couldn't kill Potter. One fireball and Potter is incinerated.
Could Voldemort beat in essence, God and Satan? No

By the end of the series Raistlin does need not spell components or time to cast spells. He can do them automatically and without "chanting"

Raistlin defeated ALL the Gods in the series. He defeated Takhisis, Queen of Darkness(Satan) He defeated Paladine(God) By the end there was nothing left. He would have ruled over a dead world, alone. He saw the future of this, and therefore did not proceed with his plans, basically saving humanity....and sparing the Gods. lol

Voldemort is powerful but there is in NO way he can be compared to a GOD.

And Raistlin not only became a God, but defeated ALL other Gods as well.

Raistlin feats are also unbelievably greater than anything Voldemort ever did.

Raistlin all the way.

#10 DSkillz

DSkillz

'Member me?

• Administrators
  • 5,216 posts
  • Interests:Surfing the 'Net, playing and watching basketball, reading, playing video games, writing, going to the movies, watching TV, traveling

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:57 PM

Bumping one of the oldest matches in the archives, heh...

Welcome to electricferret, supersaynboy. Hope you enjoy your time here. In the future, though, if you want to discuss an old match or matchup, please open up a new topic on the matter in the forums. Thank you.

#11 supersaynboy

supersaynboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:58 PM

But there is no final match results.

Also, how can i tell if it is an old match?

#12 supersaynboy

supersaynboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 03:59 PM

Btw, how come in some of the matches, there are "final results" so quick?

#13 supersaynboy

supersaynboy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:01 PM

December, 2009?????????????? LMAO Holy crap!

Ok, I gotcha.

Gonna have to mess around here a bit until i learn the ropes. Figure out the set up.

#14 DSkillz

DSkillz

'Member me?

• Administrators
  • 5,216 posts
  • Interests:Surfing the 'Net, playing and watching basketball, reading, playing video games, writing, going to the movies, watching TV, traveling

Posted 05 May 2012 - 04:05 PM

But there is no final match results.

Yes, there is. Just check the profiles of one character for their win/loss record and look for the final vote against the other. If you see more than one final vote against the same character, though, the vote for this match might be tricky to determine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users