Quack.

#62 Landon

Landon

The Main Character

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:23 PM

I don't mind if people have ideas they want to bring over into the new place. I just want everyone to be clear that, yeah, we're not just taking the decade-plus of pseudo-history that's existed in the FPL and saying "All that stuff's already established." Once we get going, if someone were to say "Hey, I like that Young Sentinels idea RP, let's write something using some of those characters we liked," that'd be cool. Stuff like that just isn't automatically assumed to exist.

In the end we'll probably end up with a mix of the old and the new (more new, I hope), and by mixing the two it'll give whatever old ideas we had a new perspective.

#63 Bergy_Berg

Bergy_Berg

I don't even read comics.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 10:56 PM

I cannot be expected to leave all 3 and a half of my characters behind. That just will not do.

#64 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:20 PM

I think perhaps a period of time during which the FPL is completely off limits might be in order. Six months? Three months? Just so that we get to a completely untainted creation and get off the ground first before anyone decides to bring back characters. 

#65 Nihlium

Nihlium

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:Those things.You know what I'm talking about. Yeah, all of that stuff.

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:48 PM

I agree with Psuedo's idea. Build a sort of foundation for the new site first using fresh characters, and then after the site has its own identity tweak fpl era characters to fit inside the new site if you wish.

#66 Tarvius

Tarvius

Ironwolverorschach Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:08 AM

You all give me headaches. 

I would like for most things to be new but I imagine that everyone is going to try and bring their ideas from the FPL into the new place. I would like to see them ingrained properly and rebooted rather than just copied over verbatim. At least try to be a part of the new continuity. Like I'd be cool if Ivan wanted to bring Marjus Voyce over but I'd really prefer if he rebuilt him from scratch to better fit the new place's collaborative continuity. So not just copy/pasting his old character sheet but making "new" Marjus Voyce to better fit this new place. Like he'd have Marjus' essence but he wouldn't be the Marjus Voyce that appears in his current character sheet. That'd be cool with me, but like I said I'd much rather have people bring new characters, new ideas and new stories to the place. 

#67 Updatedude

Updatedude

Don't feed him after midnight

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:29 AM

Don't worry y'all, you can port your stuff over if you like, or create new stuff. All you have to do is not assume it's got the exact same structure as the old FPL. Remember, clean slate.

Here's an example, you can probably port over a superhero type with minimal hassle. I'm personally planning to create some super crook types as well.

But if you say this guy is a Sentinel, and then you imply/assume that the Sentinels are a world wide police force who administrate all the small teams as well as have their own A-Team, then at this point, that's probably gonna have to go through some scrutiny. You'll have to write up (or just port over) a bunch of fics to establish this setup. Once you do, it'll be hunky dory.

I think the only "rules" we have at the moment is that Khazan won't be our main locale and no "silly" characters like a ball of death or a voltron knock off or a sugar junkie hulk. Who knows, if this thing takes off and we get a lot of stories going, it might make sense to have a Nexus of All Realities type thing going, but at the moment, because we're going with a blank slate, that concept is a little too far out there, unless you're able to back it up with a bunch of fics).

#68 Updatedude

Updatedude

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:40 AM

We're starting with a blank slate and things are fairly low key right now. But I really don't mind if we grow to become fantastical. But let the growth be organic and natural. If what really works; if what everyone ends up wanting to do is low key Dresden/Potter/whatever stuff, so be it. But if we get a good writer like Mediaman showing up and he likes things grandiosed and is able to back it up with fics, then sure.

The thing is, don't worry about it too much guys. I think it's kinda sounding like the new site guys are saying "don't bother creating or contributing anything, because we got everything covered... erm, why are we letting you guys in again?". But that's not the case. All we're trying to say is, this is a clean slate. A new sandbox. You've got all this new freedom, so why not use it rather than arbitrarily limit yourselves with preconceptions?

#69 Tarvius

Tarvius

Ironwolverorschach Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:50 AM

It almost seems strange theorizing about things like this now. I mean, the site is a "blank slate" so to speak so talk of "we want this and don't do that but you can do this other thing," is really just speculation. I don't even know what my thoughts will be with all this stuff in the future let alone trying to control a site full of people. I'm inclined to take on a relaxed attitude and deal with continuity stuff as it's presented. Like right now I'd much rather prefer people bring new stuff to the table but if that's not the direction the site wants to go in so be it; I can adapt. That's the give and take of the new place for you and sort of what I meant by dropping your preconceived notions. There's going to be a bit of compromise and a bit of push and shove when it comes to establishing continuity.  Like updatedude said it's a new sandbox  and kicking sand at someone and knocking their sandcastle over isn't cool. 

#70 Updatedude

Updatedude

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 02:58 AM

...kicking sand at someone and knocking their sandcastle over isn't cool. 

Erm, yes it is. I mean, metaphorically, maybe not. But in actuality? Heck yes it's cool.

#71 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 31 July 2013 - 06:52 AM

It is fun to jump in a sandbox. Just don't pour water in it.

#72 Sincere Poet

Sincere Poet

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 07:36 AM

But water in the sand makes it easier to mold, plus natural disasters for your miniature sand civilization!

#73 Landon

Landon

The Main Character

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:31 AM

That isn't a sandbox. It's a litter box.

#74 Sincere Poet

Sincere Poet

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 08:38 AM

Well.. I did grow up poor so that does explain a lot.

#75 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 09:09 AM

Explains the poop.

#76 deojusto

deojusto

I am One with the Ferret.

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 12:37 PM

I'm personally letting everyone on my roster perish in flames. Becki, the Angels, Infinium, all of 'em. Murder your darlings and start anew.    

#77 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 31 July 2013 - 01:49 PM

I think you'll all have a good idea once you get in the sandbox.

#78 Nihlium

Nihlium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:Those things.You know what I'm talking about. Yeah, all of that stuff.

Posted 01 August 2013 - 02:22 PM

I think we should have a launch party (fic/rp) for the new site to pump everybody up. That way we would enter the new era with a bang.  

#79 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 03:46 PM

If you run it, I'll join.

#80 Nihlium

Nihlium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 01 August 2013 - 04:27 PM

I've never been in a rp much less ran one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users