88 replies to this topic

#41 Bergy_Berg

Bergy_Berg

I don't even read comics.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:09 PM

Change is scary. It may just be best for us to hide in our bunkers and avoid all internets.

#42 Nihlium

Nihlium

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:Those things.You know what I'm talking about. Yeah, all of that stuff.

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:15 PM

I think having a main continuity like Marvel 616 would be o.k.; what the rules of that universe would be is up to those setting up the site.

As for the continent of Khazan, it could exist in some form but as Landon said, it shouldn't be the focal point of everything.

#43 Soberguy

Soberguy

Kneel before Zod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:28 PM

Shared Universe. Clean Slate. If people wanna carry over ideas/characters from the FPL, that's cool. Let's just not go into things with preconceived notions about X Y and Z already existing.

Character Wiki from which writers pull characters for stories. People create characters in a more functional format (Not a FPL character write-up). They're posted for all to see, so if they see Soandso in a story, they can look them up/click a link to the Wiki and get a general idea of what the character's about. Characters in the Wiki are free to use by anyone working on stories, but peeps are encouraged to talk with the creator if they wanna DO things with/to them. And if you just wanna make a character without worrying about stories, you can do that too.

Serialized stories released on a schedule. Instead of focusing all of the writing on the character write-ups, shift the focus to storytelling. Someone wants to write a story. They release a chapter on some sort of regular basis. Maybe it's a serialized story. Maybe they're just short stories with the same cast of characters. Play it like each story is an issue of a comic or an episode of a series or something. Maybe even play it where you have actual "series" or something.

Have a small group of editors who look over stories before they go "public" to make sure stuff doesn't contradict other stuff. Like, there'll still be boards for people to post rough drafts, bounce around ideas, and so on, but there'll be, like, an official WordPress site where the "final" stories get posted for public consumption.

That a rough sketch of the idea I've been brainstorming the past few days.

I like this, Landon.  Similiar to my thoughts on how things should work.  Create a character or team to anchor a series on and write stories as "issues".  If you want to introduce new characters, just create different "titles" or incorporate them into your stories.  After a while you'd build up a nice little supporting cast and rogues gallery to draw from.  You could then collaborate with other writers for cross-over events or guest stars or using each others villains.  Just like real comics, only the writing is amateur and no one can draw worth a damn.  So like, a Rob Liefeld comic.

If you people crave the competition angle, maybe have readers rate individual isses released in a given month to see which comes out on top - kind of like issue sales.  Maybe let people subscribe to certain titles as well, to encourage people to contribute regularly to keep their subscribers up.

Even I might awaken from my slumber to engage in such an endeavour.  Keep me posted via Twitter.

#44 Tarvius

Tarvius

Ironwolverorschach Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:03 PM

Just some friendly advice about the new place without revealing too much about it: 

1. It's a blank slate. We're starting from scratch both in terms of continuity and in terms of site functionality from a technical standpoint. The sooner you drop any preconceived notions about what you think will happen in terms of story or how similar you want it to be to the current FPL and realize that we're starting fresh the better. 

2. We're not moving the FPL. I can say with some amount of certainty that the new place is hardly anything like the current incarnation of the FPL. Like I said it's a new idea, yes we've carried over elements of the FPL but it's a completely new format. 

3. Collaboration is key. With the new systems, open lines of creative communication are key to the sites functionality. Sure you can isolate yourself and just create for yourself and not worrying about anyone else but that wont help the site nor will it really contribute to anything. Besides I think you'll have a lot more fun if you work with other creators. 

4. Give it time. We're trying a lot of new things here. Likewise we're working with new programs that we're not 100% familiar with. It's going to take time to get up to speed. Just give it a chance

5. Let Khazan die a noble death. Khazan has been picked at, probed, twisted, pestered, molded, and sculpted by the masterful minds of the FPL since 1999. It has had enough. (See advice #1)

6. Conceptual creativity is king when it comes to character sheets. This will make a lot more sense once you guys have a chance to see the new place. 

#45 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:55 PM

Is there any way to abandon stories that you may not want to keep afloat?

#46 Bergy_Berg

Bergy_Berg

I don't even read comics.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:56 PM

I'd suggest the nuclear option.

As in, you nuke the characters.

#47 Ivan

Ivan

Canon Fodder

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 05:29 PM

Yeah the Berglar has the right idea.  Take off and Nuke the site from orbit.  It's the only way to be sure.

The best advice is to get rid of everything.  Don't start planning to remake your old or current or conceptual FPL characters.  Don't plan to port storylines, locations, plot devices, organizations, proper nouns, casual mentions, or cleverly subtle oblique references regarding your old stuff.  

No Khazan, in any way, shape, or form, not even as an accidental misspelling of the last name of the Academy Award Winning director of On The Waterfront.

Also, to chime in to the earlier discussion, the FPL definitely limits creativity, but only if you care about votes. :D

#48 deojusto

deojusto

I am One with the Ferret.

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:39 PM

This all sounds pretty great. Tarv and Landon, both you guys deserve friggin statues for stepping up to the plate like this; seriously like with horses and swords and stuff. 

I echo a lot of what other people have said, and I've been following the discussion, but I'm mostly going with the flow here. However if there is some financial expenditure involved in setting the site up, I would be willing to chip in via paypal or something.  

#49 Tarvius

Tarvius

Ironwolverorschach Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:49 PM

Nah, I haven't really done anything except for agree with Landon and get too excited about things. Also, there's a group of us working on everything who all deserve credit as well. Although it's mostly Landon (especially if this thing fails, then it's definitely all Landon). 

Thank you for the compliment though. 

#50 Darkender

Darkender

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:36 PM

Yeah, I'll probably be fine with whatever you guys decide. I'll just be grateful for something.

#51 Updatedude

Updatedude

Don't feed him after midnight

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 01:11 AM

Where everyone else is like "don't bother bringing your pre-conceived notions", me, personally, I'll be reworking a lot of my old stuff into the new place. It helps that a lot of my stuff ain't reliant on Khazan Kontinuity.

We're starting on a blank slate, so things will probably be low key at the beginning, but eventually, I can see things becoming more publicly fantastical. It depends on the contributors.

#52 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:23 AM

Nah, I haven't really done anything except for agree with Landon and get too excited about things. Also, there's a group of us working on everything who all deserve credit as well. Although it's mostly Landon (especially if this thing fails, then it's definitely all Landon). 

Thank you for the compliment though.

Don't be shy Tarv. Take all arguments to Tarvius. He is in charge of complaints and PiƱa Coladas.

#53 Lawman

Lawman

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Writing, Anime, Comic books, Video games, Play by post RPGs

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:07 AM

So... I'm guessing this new project is sort of an open source world-building community, where things such as characters, lore and stuff are basically added to a shared universe database where users are free to draw upon to write their own stories, no? Okay, maybe as one who hasn't been in the FPL since 2006 I'm not really one to be saying this... but I suppose we're doing away with the whole competitive angle such as voting-based matches and stuff?

#54 Updatedude

Updatedude

Don't feed him after midnight

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:25 AM

So... I'm guessing this new project is sort of an open source world-building community, where things such as characters, lore and stuff are basically added to a shared universe database where users are free to draw upon to write their own stories, no? Okay, maybe as one who hasn't been in the FPL since 2006 I'm not really one to be saying this... but I suppose we're doing away with the whole competitive angle such as voting-based matches and stuff?

Unfortunately, we lack the expertise/resources to implement that competitive aspect. I suppose we can do things manually with forum polls and such, but that's probably not a long term solution.

#55 Landon

Landon

The Main Character

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:26 AM

Yeah. The site we're setting up is less about the characters and more about writing stories. There probably won't be any sort of "this guy fights this guy, so VOTE" things, at least on an official level. If it does take place it'd be informal polls on the message board or something like that.

#56 Lawman

Lawman

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Writing, Anime, Comic books, Video games, Play by post RPGs

Posted 30 July 2013 - 08:07 AM

Not to sound like I'm among those having preconceived notions about this new site and stuff, but for once I'm actually glad that my FPL characters have always been mostly self-contained, not too deeply interwoven into Khazanian lore - it actually makes it easy for them to be ported over into alternate settings with the right tweaks. ^^

#57 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:18 AM

Better get your tweakers out!

#58 Peypeypeypey

Peypeypeypey

The truthiness will set you free

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 04:10 PM

I've always meant to get more involved in the FPL, but never got around to it. This new idea intrigues me

#59 Darkender

Darkender

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:48 PM

Ugh. All this time I've been interweaving my characters as deep into Khazan as possible. <_<

I do plan on bringing two characters over into the new launch.

#60 Ivan

Ivan

Canon Fodder

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 09:37 PM

I'm porting all the Alpha Sentinels and the entire SLJ command structure.  I'm sorry if that seems like an obviously terrible idea, my characters and ego are much too important for me to try and do something, you know, useful.

Ugh.  Looks like the biggest preconceived notion of all will be making the transition to the new FPL.

The worst thing this site ever did was convince people that having an idea is enough.

(Sorry all, just being bitchy.  It's hard to watch this vision of a fresh start get blown apart by people insisting on clinging to tired old ideas.  I realize this is just my bias, and that y'all looooove your old stuff so much that you can't stand to part with it.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users