88 replies to this topic

#21 Landon

Landon

The Main Character

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:46 PM

That's pretty much where I want things to go, yes.

#22 Updatedude

Updatedude

Don't feed him after midnight

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 07:38 AM

There's probably no need to be overly strict on contradictions, but naturally, try to keep it to a minimum.

Just throwing this out there, but Piranha Girl, Unicorn Boy and Kurio Kaufmann are free for use. These guys wouldn't need too many changes (if any) to fit into whatever world's being done.

Hmm, I need to find that write up I did for the guy who took over Africa. I was fairly pleased with him at the time.

#23 Nihlium

Nihlium

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:Those things.You know what I'm talking about. Yeah, all of that stuff.

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:18 AM

I like the idea, it allows more creative freedom than the fpl (when it comes to character creation); I'd be willing to get involved, but if this is the path we're going down we should start collecting as much as we can.

#24 Darkender

Darkender

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:32 PM

Yeah I felt the recent creation system, while I appreciated the update, put a certain creative restraint on me. I'm willing to throw my hat in to help with this new 'fpl' anyway needed. 

#25 Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Interests:I like reading comics, watching movies, and doing other teenage activities. Football rules.

Star Wars is on my list of favorite movies, along with Matrix and Independence Day.

I am learning to write comic scripts. My goal in life is to become a comic writer for Marvel Comics.

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:38 PM

I'd be willing to migrate to another location, as well.

#26 Magnetrex

Magnetrex

Slang for sucks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Interests:Chilling out, maxing, relaxing all cool and all shooting some b-ball outside of the school.

Posted 27 July 2013 - 06:56 PM

Count me in as well. I've written so much new material lately & I'll be damned if they will go to waste.

#27 Nihlium

Nihlium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:Those things.You know what I'm talking about. Yeah, all of that stuff.

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:24 PM

Looks like we might have a nice little community.

#28 Landon

Landon

The Main Character

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:28 PM

We're working on the new joint. We should be able to go public within the week.

#29 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 06:49 PM

That's hella cool. I'm so excited!

#30 Nihlium

Nihlium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 07:42 PM

Guess I have to get back to my unfinished projects now.

#31 KevinDWolf93

KevinDWolf93

A fluffy puppy with a heart of gold!

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,353 posts
  • Interests:Mythology and other lore, reading, writing, Werewolves/wolves, weapons, science fiction, fighting, 19th/20th century literature (ex. Moby Dick, Call of the Wild, Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)

Posted 28 July 2013 - 10:45 PM

Heh for sure! *insert my body is ready joke*.

One bit on the rule of thumb thing; I figure we wanna keep light on events we're bringing over but as updatedude said about characters, would it be better to transplant certain things like that or at least make them a given. For example, let's say Dayshift (assuming SLJ is a thing still in this new continuity) is something a guy wants to incorporate into a storyline. Am I right in assuming we first want to clear that all of the following exists, but would it be helpful if we have a writeup of those events for reference if allowed? Would that sort of go under the wiki idea or would it being in fic form be preferable where we streamline the events for guys to read.

Id say more, but I want to make sure I am actually making sense before I go on.

#32 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 28 July 2013 - 11:12 PM

I would be wary of porting anything that you don't own. For instance, Becki Bloom is Deo's. If he wants to bring her, cool. If not, that's fine too.

We'll probably remake a young Superhero team eventually. That's the kind of thing that's interesting to fans of comics. Zach will find a place there, wherever that is.

The thing I like most about this format is that it allows Fluid characters who can grow and change through their stories more than a sheet would. 

#33 Updatedude

Updatedude

Don't feed him after midnight

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:10 AM

I'm just going to say that the current incarnation of the FPL, from a technical standpoint, is really good. Heck, it brought guys like me outta "hiatus/retirement". It does NOT limit creativity. Part of the creative process is working within the restraints of any given format. A TV series with a limited time frame per episode for instance, would limit how much detail you can cram in, but gives you access to sound, music, actor charisma, visuals and cliffhangers become easier and more effective to pull off. On the other hand, a novel is good for monologues, filling in background and motivations, and bringing attention to details that can be missed in a visual media. It's all pros and cons.

I mean, we're gonna leave here soon. But that ain't no reason to knock the FPL. No offense meant to anybody, but this place has sentimental value for me. It's been my main page for 15 years. The old CBUB was arguably the best fight site on the internet. Other sites might have been more popular, but this place had the snazziest presentation.

#34 Nihlium

Nihlium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:28 AM

Don't get me wrong, I love the current FPL as much as the first time I stumbled across it years ago, when Kits were still a thing and it took a few days for a character to be added to the database. What I meant when I said "it allows more creative freedom" was that in a FPL/wiki hybrid format, editing and adding to a characters story would be easier than it was now. At least I hope it will be.

#35 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 29 July 2013 - 09:23 AM

We're working on the new joint. We should be able to go public within the week.

New joint... Key Word is New. NEW! Not a direct port.

#36 Landon

Landon

The Main Character

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:21 AM

I'll say this:

Sentinels, Angels of Mercy, Syndicate, and Fallen won't be automatically transferred. If anything, it'd be best if we simply start from scratch if we need teams/organizations. I know I won't be transferring KALI over to the new place, at least not in its current form.

#37 Nihlium

Nihlium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 10:39 AM

I agree. Some of the teams needed a reboot anyway. I'm sure some teams will make a comeback in some form or another (I'm almost sure there will be reincarnation of the SLJ.). I'm guessing Khazan won't exist in this new "fpl", at least not in its current form so alot of characters will have to remain in the past or be rewritten.   

I know the Creed will be reborn, and Mr.Styx will also rise from the ashes so there will be some kind of crime organization even if the Syndicate wont exist.

#38 Landon

Landon

The Main Character

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:47 AM

The only thing I'm putting my foot down on is "No Khazan." That's a uniquely FPL/CBUB thing and is best left there. Everything else is still up for discussion.

#39 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:42 PM

I'd be fine with calling it something different and changing the setting entirely. But if you mean 'no' to the idea of a nexus of creative possibility then, I don't know. It's not very inviting if there's already a tough, tight continuity in some sense.

#40 Landon

Landon

The Main Character

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:04 PM

Getting rid of a focal point such as Khazan will broaden the world. It will encourage people to use locations other than one central "connected to everything" city. Khazan's more of a crutch than anything.

That doesn't mean alternate worlds/dimensions/times can't exist. All it means is that there isn't once central point where all of these worlds collide.

And there WILL be certain types of characters that just plain won't work. Sack Full of Spiders? No. The thing we're building is geared more towards the actual story writing aspect of things. You can probably write something about some dude running around with a sack filled with spiders, but the actual Sack wouldn't be an entry in the character database.

Basically, the act of character creation isn't going to be the main aspect of the new place. It's using those characters and actually writing stories.

It's gonna be different, and it's possible that some people might not jive with it. But yeah, we aren't just moving to a new site and resuming as-is. We're taking this opportunity to refine things more towards a shared-universe fiction thing rather than "a place where you make a dude then watch him fight." Things might be a bit more confining, but at the same time we're trying to do something with a more concrete end goal. I think most of y'all will dig it once you shake off your FPL expectations. It won't be BETTER, just different.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users