• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 Nihlium

Nihlium

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:Those things.You know what I'm talking about. Yeah, all of that stuff.

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:56 AM

The  end of Electricferret means there is a chance that the FPL will go along with it; if we allow it to. Unlike the Cbub, FPLers will be hard pressed to find a substitute for the website we have dedicated countless hours to. With the end of the FPL we will lose vast amounts of lore created by the likes of Ivan, and see memorable characters like Landon Hex, De Luca and Zombie Girl fade away into the shadows of the internet. I don't think we should allow the end of this great website bring about the death of the FPL.  

I think we should somehow agree on a single location to transplant the FPL and all of its content (at least the content seen as acceptable by the community.) so that we can continue to expand the world we dedicated so much time to.

#2 Mr. Graves

Mr. Graves

Excellent Host

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:06 PM

If nothing else, I've still got a large chunk of my hard drive where I keep some of the old FPL writings (at least the ones that aren't still available on the internet). The characters and such posted on the site should still be here for several months, so we'll have time to grab whatever memories we want to hold onto.

#3 Landon

Landon

The Main Character

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:20 PM

Speaking of old FPL writing stuff, do you think you could scrounge up copies of Crusade and Reunion, Graves? Between my desktop dying on me and the Wayback Machine not having all of the old Naze Nani site, I'm missing chunks of both.

I have some ideas for carrying on the spirit of the FPL. They wouldn't include a character generator, but I'm all for keeping the whole shared universe thing going.

If and when things do move on, I'd rather things start with a clean slate. No Khazan. No baggage. Just start from scratch and go from there.

#4 ViceCityMobster86

ViceCityMobster86

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:58 PM

CBUB can't really be fully replaced, just thought I would put that out there. Losing this site is going to suck for all of us.

#5 Mr. Graves

Mr. Graves

Excellent Host

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:13 PM

Hrm, I'll check. I'm not sure I saved the stuff that as far as I knew was still online.

#6 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:47 PM

CBUB can't really be fully replaced, just thought I would put that out there. Losing this site is going to suck for all of us.

Who are you?  You can be replaced.

#7 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:07 PM

*sigh* Now for the arduous task of saving these old characters.  I only have a few saved.  I never tried to grow attached to my characters.

#8 KevinDWolf93

KevinDWolf93

A fluffy puppy with a heart of gold!

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 12,353 posts
  • Interests:Mythology and other lore, reading, writing, Werewolves/wolves, weapons, science fiction, fighting, 19th/20th century literature (ex. Moby Dick, Call of the Wild, Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:43 PM

Heh, by contrast I don't like throwing away ideas so wherever this place goes I got my brain to semi give me stuff. Presuming we all figure out where and when we will be doing said move(seriously I am hearing like 3 ideas that seem solid enough and no two people are acknowledging more than 1) it shouldn't be that hard to move past a character generator. Still, if ya'll need help in cataloging this junk lemme know. Participating is fun.

#9 Landon

Landon

The Main Character

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 05:56 PM

I just don't want anything to automatically carry over into whatever replaces the FPL. Just because X and Y existed in the FPL doesn't mean they have to be a thing in the new joint. If people brainstorm some stuff and say "Hey, X and Y were cool, let's use them in the new place," then yeah, that's cool.

So yeah, I wanna hear what Tarv and Treach have up their sleeves. Haven't had a chance to talk to them much about this.

#10 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:02 PM

Tarv will feel you in. This little iPhone is annoying to hold long conversations. Until later.

#11 Nihlium

Nihlium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:Those things.You know what I'm talking about. Yeah, all of that stuff.

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:20 PM

I agree with you Landon; creating a doppelganger of the FPL would be impossible, and to try and do that would probably make for a......"Flawed" community/site. If/When a new FPL inspired site is formed only the best and/or most dynamic aspects should be integrated into it. As for the content; creating lore from scratch would quite difficult but I would be willing to chip in if that would be the plan for the "new fpl". 

#12 Tarvius

Tarvius

Ironwolverorschach Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 07:03 PM

Tarv will feel you in. This little iPhone is annoying to hold long conversations. Until later.

I will do no such thing. 

Seriously though, the appropriate conversations with the right people will take place. No plans have been put into motion as of yet, just talking. 

#13 KevinDWolf93

KevinDWolf93

A fluffy puppy with a heart of gold!

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 12,353 posts
  • Interests:Mythology and other lore, reading, writing, Werewolves/wolves, weapons, science fiction, fighting, 19th/20th century literature (ex. Moby Dick, Call of the Wild, Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:19 PM

roger dodger

#14 treacherous

treacherous

• Administrators
  • 15,777 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:11 AM

Feel him in Tarv! Feel him in real good!

#15 Bergy_Berg

Bergy_Berg

I don't even read comics.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:34 AM

I want Tarv to feel me in!

#16 Tarvius

Tarvius

Ironwolverorschach Man

• Members
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:37 PM

My last comment wasn't meant to stop anyone from discussing or resolving this issue. I'm obviously not going to stop people from going to other places or making other plans. I just meant to say that that's what I'm doing for the issue. I'm not even sure if anything I'm doing will come to anything. As for everyone else you have to make your own path with this issue. Just thought I should clear that up. 

Good luck to everyone 

#17 Magnetrex

Magnetrex

Slang for sucks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 524 posts
  • Interests:Chilling out, maxing, relaxing all cool and all shooting some b-ball outside of the school.

Posted 26 July 2013 - 02:46 PM

This website needs to be saved somehow in some way. I always thought that Electricferret needed to have a Youtube account and possibly post some FPL or CBUB animations that will draw in thousands, perhaps, maybe a million views thus generating some advertising revenue. I always see other websites that do this sort of thing where they start off on Youtube and manage become a success with their own website and small business. I'm just saying that this site does have the potential to become something even greater.  

#18 Landon

Landon

The Main Character

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 03:03 PM

Shared Universe. Clean Slate. If people wanna carry over ideas/characters from the FPL, that's cool. Let's just not go into things with preconceived notions about X Y and Z already existing.

Character Wiki from which writers pull characters for stories. People create characters in a more functional format (Not a FPL character write-up). They're posted for all to see, so if they see Soandso in a story, they can look them up/click a link to the Wiki and get a general idea of what the character's about. Characters in the Wiki are free to use by anyone working on stories, but peeps are encouraged to talk with the creator if they wanna DO things with/to them. And if you just wanna make a character without worrying about stories, you can do that too.

Serialized stories released on a schedule. Instead of focusing all of the writing on the character write-ups, shift the focus to storytelling. Someone wants to write a story. They release a chapter on some sort of regular basis. Maybe it's a serialized story. Maybe they're just short stories with the same cast of characters. Play it like each story is an issue of a comic or an episode of a series or something. Maybe even play it where you have actual "series" or something.

Have a small group of editors who look over stories before they go "public" to make sure stuff doesn't contradict other stuff. Like, there'll still be boards for people to post rough drafts, bounce around ideas, and so on, but there'll be, like, an official WordPress site where the "final" stories get posted for public consumption.

That a rough sketch of the idea I've been brainstorming the past few days.

#19 Tarvius

Tarvius

Ironwolverorschach Man

• Members
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 05:14 PM

I'm in support of Landon's idea and am willing to help in any way possible. 

#20 Ivan

Ivan

Canon Fodder

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:44 PM

Yeah, and maybe a standing rule that story elements can't be edited out for contradicting an idea someone else has for the future that they may or may not ever get around to implementing... if someone beats you to the punch on an idea:  they say there is a base on the moon, your future plot idea you talked about in chat one time needs the moon to be a hologram, the moonbase takes it because that story is actually finished and accessible to the community, whereas one night's plot from two years ago that nobody ever did anything with is not.

To balance this we could create some starting circumstances that everyone can jive with, like "Yeah there is a moon, just one, and it has a normal lunar cycle just like the one we have on Earth, and some astronauts when there once."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users