Photo

Continuing CBUB (Not Electric Ferret, ya'll had better already changed that name or I'm stabbing someone's eyeballs)

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Peypeypeypey

Peypeypeypey

The truthiness will set you free

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:48 PM

If anyone's interested, I recreated a very basic layout of Electricferret so that people can still get on in some degree. It's very rough, and not nearly as good as the real electricferret, but it's a way to stay in touch, at least, and still has rumbles and whatnot. 

http://electricferret.freeforums.net/

P.S. Fox, if you have any objection to me doing this for any reason, I'll take it down

#2 KevinDWolf93

KevinDWolf93

A fluffy puppy with a heart of gold!

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,353 posts
  • Interests:Mythology and other lore, reading, writing, Werewolves/wolves, weapons, science fiction, fighting, 19th/20th century literature (ex. Moby Dick, Call of the Wild, Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:50 PM

Im game if no one thinks it's inappropriate(as a sort of business as usual way of moving past I mean).. Regardless, props for such a very quick response time pey x. Looks real similar layout.

#3 Ivan

Ivan

Canon Fodder

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:07 PM

Dear CBUB:  

CBR, Comic Vine, KillerMovies, Screw Attack... all these sites are virtually identical to what you do on this site, with the possible exception that one or two people on those sites have actually read the comics about which they're arguing.  You might try signing up for one or all of those.

#4 Nova Force Nova

Nova Force Nova

Deadpan Snarker

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 14,957 posts
  • Interests:Interesting stuff.

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:26 PM

I can't speak for all of you but that's not what drew me in here. It was the people. The community. Those sites are all good indeed but EF is more small and close-knit to me, to the point you know the majority of the regulars. I like all those others very much but it just doesn't have that special factor about it. Meh, look at me. So melodramatic. Is it alright to keep that niche in a site like the one posted above? Or find a corner in the bigger ones? Either or? Is that alright?

#5 Mercenaryblade

Mercenaryblade

Mercenary Captain

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 5,441 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing, fencing, and more.

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:45 PM

I'm game, I feel the same as Nova

#6 sirmethos

sirmethos

A Man of the People

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 8,142 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:00 AM

Dear CBUB:  

CBR, Comic Vine, KillerMovies, Screw Attack... all these sites are virtually identical to what you do on this site, with the possible exception that one or two people on those sites have actually read the comics about which they're arguing.  You might try signing up for one or all of those.

CBR, ComicVine, KillerMovies, ScrewAttack, and several others, may have an identical base purpose(debating comics battles) but they are far from identical(I'm already signed up for all of the above, and more).

The main difference, is that all of those sites have a bizarre obsession with "feats", something that CBUB has (fortunately)moved on from(though we seem to be heading back in that direction again).

Most of those sites are also much larger.  The very fact that EF is a smaller community, is a large part of why it's the main 'home' for a lot of us.

It's kinda like living in a small town, rather than in a large city.  In terms of community, I prefer the small town.

#7 Ivan

Ivan

Canon Fodder

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:28 AM

I think you can collectively take the EF community with you to those sites- I followed some friends from the FPL to a now-defunct creative writing based social networking site called Consummating.com, and we had our close-knit group and made new friends (one guy even met his wife there!)  I understand the social aspect of the site.  The FPL has had conventions in Vegas, I've attended two of them.  I've- at the very least- had dinner with a dozen or so people from this website.  Many of them have moved on from the FPL but we've stayed in touch- one electricferret alumnus even got his novel published and nominated for a John W. Campbell award.  

The basic functionality of this place exists elsewhere.  You can take the family with you when you move.

#8 xLEGACYx

xLEGACYx

King of Kings

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,250 posts
  • Interests:manipulating the minds of inmates

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:32 AM

I like it and have signed up.  Thanks Peypeypeypey!

Personally I encourage others to do the same so we can have some similar to what we have here.  The site looks well done for such short notice.

#9 Mr.Wronkite123

Mr.Wronkite123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Super Smash Bros.
    Animation
    TV
    Interwebs

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:30 AM

Just registered. Thanks Pey... :)

#10 Buzz Line

Buzz Line

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Interests:The behavior and habitat of fauna. History. Cultures. Fiction?

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:53 AM

The thing that CBUB had over other sites was a database full of done votes, built in references and (until recently I guess) an encouragement for descriptive scenarios. There was even a novelty in looking at a character's records. (A one off Power Puff Girl robot vs ]Metroid Space Pirates?) Personally, I liked the CBUB better when there 25-70 votes on a topic and the userbase was bigger overall. Now there are less people out to manipulate the system so that "their" choices win, fewer people typing up uninspired to non existant scenarios, fewer recurrences of the topics that always seem to recurr (you really think you can do a better Goku vs Superman than Serge? Get better arguments than those that broke the site?) but for all those benefits we lost a lot in feed back and variety.

Warcry's stuff had a strange energy to it, Caesar Speaks was a professional writer and pretty funny to boot, there was an English teacher who occassionally stopped by, it was just fun times. Some users had a thing for characters I did not ever think to much indepth about, like RakaiThwei's and some other's thing for predators. I got suggestions on pacing, suggestions on new things to try, critcism for misuse of character and setting, I hoped this place would eventually build up that kind of userbase again but oh well.

Anyway, I am going to sign up, Peypeypeypey, so if the FPL ever gets back up and running let me know, on the off chance I may see what I was missing there.

#11 comic_book_fan

comic_book_fan

Believes Han shot first

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:00 AM

I signed up.

#12 Hayesmeister5651

Hayesmeister5651

That guy with poo brains

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 7,047 posts
  • Interests:Things

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:44 PM

I can't speak for all of you but that's not what drew me in here. It was the people. The community. Those sites are all good indeed but EF is more small and close-knit to me, to the point you know the majority of the regulars. I like all those others very much but it just doesn't have that special factor about it. Meh, look at me. So melodramatic. Is it alright to keep that niche in a site like the one posted above? Or find a corner in the bigger ones? Either or? Is that alright?

Agreed.  I don't even come here for fights anymore, I come for the community.

#13 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:23 PM

I come here for fights with the community.

#14 Nova Force Nova

Nova Force Nova

Deadpan Snarker

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 14,957 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 01:35 PM

I beat you surfer.

#15 DSkillz

DSkillz

'Member me?

• Administrators
  • 5,216 posts
  • Interests:Surfing the 'Net, playing and watching basketball, reading, playing video games, writing, going to the movies, watching TV, traveling

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:45 PM

Big kudos to you for giving this a try, 4pey. Keeping up an entire community, however small, is a pretty big task, and I hope you're up for it.

#16 Peypeypeypey

Peypeypeypey

The truthiness will set you free

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:49 PM

Thanks for that. I hope so, too. I'm considering delegating power to people, but the question is who. Whom? I'm pretty sure it's whom

Also, thanks for all the positive feedback, guys.

#17 Nova Force Nova

Nova Force Nova

Deadpan Snarker

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 14,957 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 02:52 PM

Me.

Mwahahahahahaha.

#18 xLEGACYx

xLEGACYx

King of Kings

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,250 posts
  • Interests:manipulating the minds of inmates

Posted 25 July 2013 - 03:15 PM

Me.

Mwahahahahahaha.

i actually wouldn't mind that as long as you strayed away from your more lazy days. Jk

Kainboa would be another good one I saw sign up for the new site if he would accept the responsibility

#19 KidStranglehold

KidStranglehold

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,855 posts
  • Interests:Writing,Video games,Sports,women.

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:11 PM

Electricferret is really going bye bye? :blink:

F*ck I missed a lot.

#20 KidStranglehold

KidStranglehold

Believes Han shot first

• Members
  • 2,855 posts
  • Interests:Writing,Video games,Sports,women.

Posted 25 July 2013 - 04:13 PM

Just made an account. Waiting for confirmation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users