• Please log in to reply
304 replies to this topic

#81 Venom 2009

Venom 2009

Released the Kraken

• CBUB Character Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 831 posts
  • Interests:Godzilla, Monsters/Kaijus, Zeiram, Anime, Digimon, Dragon Ball Z, Ikki Tousen, Sailor Moon, Yu-Gi-Oh, Cartoons, Fan Fictions, Movies, TV Shows, and MST3K.

Posted 26 July 2013 - 06:55 PM

Is there a link to this Haven site?

#82 DSkillz

DSkillz

'Member me?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,216 posts
  • Interests:Surfing the 'Net, playing and watching basketball, reading, playing video games, writing, going to the movies, watching TV, traveling

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:35 PM

What about doing a kickstarter to get money for the EF?

Not to discourage everyone, but if we wanted to put up enough money to run things they way Fox has done, it would be much easier said than done. Fox himself has said on a couple of occasions that it's costed him around $2,000 in U.S. dollars a month to maintain EF. If, say, thirty of us were to try to fit that bill, we'd each have to put up about $67 U.S. dollars a month. Break that down to forty people, that's $50 dollars monthly. That's a lot, especially considering almost the bulk of EF regulars are in high school and college. 

Props to Fox for keeping up with the costs as long as he did (and to do it monthly? Damn, I want his job! :D). As someone who helps manage his grandmother's finances, I know how tough that can be.

#83 bigballerju

bigballerju

The Last Son of Krypton

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,316 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Women, Comics, Games, Music, Clubs, Movies, and more.

Posted 26 July 2013 - 08:26 PM

Heh I wish I had 2,000 a month. The bills I wouldn't have to worry about.

#84 ViceCityMobster86

ViceCityMobster86

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:11 PM

Similar but different in a few ways.

Would it have a database and win/loss record for characters? I can help research characters for the starting database. Would be kind of cool having a fresh start for win/loss records.

What about doing a kickstarter to get money for the EF?

I would be for that, I would try to give as much as I can. Would be nice if there was another option, maybe people can volunteer to run this site for Fox, I would sign up to help. Since time, not money seems to be the issue.

#85 DSkillz

DSkillz

'Member me?

• Administrators
  • 5,216 posts
  • Interests:Surfing the 'Net, playing and watching basketball, reading, playing video games, writing, going to the movies, watching TV, traveling

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:12 AM

^Don't you just love when someone misses the point? :rolleyes: 

If one reads the OP, time, money, and motivation are the key factors for EF's apparent end here.

#86 ViceCityMobster86

ViceCityMobster86

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 12:24 AM

I had not reread it. It did read the whole thing shortly after it was posted.

#87 Shockwave

Shockwave

Herr Han Shot first.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts
  • Interests:Video games, movies, writing

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:32 AM

It?  I KNEW IT!  YOU'VE BEEN A BOT THIS WHOLE TIME!

#88 badpierce

badpierce

Part of the Rag-Tag Fugitive Fleet

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts
  • Interests:Comics, Football, xbox, Sci fi

Posted 27 July 2013 - 01:21 PM

When I was in a panic after the site went down last week and doing random web searches to find out what happened, I stumbled on a website that puts a price tag on websites. The EF was about $5000. I would assume that would be in possible profit from possible advertising but I really don't know how any of that works. Kudos to Fox for not selling out or charging us all this time.  

#89 skykorean

skykorean

Kneel before Zod

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,206 posts
  • Interests:Video games,Comics, World of Darkness, and still god...deal with it.

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:38 PM

Well I am going to say my own bit and then head off. I personally did really nothing on the cbub battles or the Fpl groups. I was an rp since I started back in 2007 I think or was it 2008. Either way I enjoyed my time here meeting awesome people that I rped along side with. People which shared a common interested in, this was a great place to hang out. I thing I realized was that I might have spend my time here unwisely not really getting to know that many people. Oh well hopefully we will meet again. Personally I am not going to give up rping so you guys might find me on other rp sites. 

It was a fun couple of years. Also thanks Serge have an awesome time doing what you want :D.

#90 granobulax

granobulax

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Location:I live in my own little world. It's ok, they know me here.
  • Interests:Anything other than work and college.

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:09 PM

Just when I was planning a return to CBUB / FPL I get word from Treacherous that the site is closing down. I haven't been on in some time so I don't have much right to really say anything here but I just wanted to throw out here that this site helped me to get through some of the toughest times I have been through in my life. In a truly dark time in my life, the creative writing from these sites really helped to keep me afloat. I made it through and now am engaged to be married again and have a beautiful new daughter, Melody.

I got to meet some great guys in Las Vegas at an FPL convention and I've gained some truly great friends in Treacherous and Tarvius. I'm going to truly miss the CBUB and FLP.

Thanks everyone for all the wonderful memories.

Grano

#91 ND7

ND7

I am One with the Ferret.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 4,518 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 09:56 PM

Just when I was planning a return to CBUB / FPL I get word from Treacherous that the site is closing down. I haven't been on in some time so I don't have much right to really say anything here but I just wanted to throw out here that this site helped me to get through some of the toughest times I have been through in my life. In a truly dark time in my life, the creative writing from these sites really helped to keep me afloat. I made it through and now am engaged to be married again and have a beautiful new daughter, Melody.

I got to meet some great guys in Las Vegas at an FPL convention and I've gained some truly great friends in Treacherous and Tarvius. I'm going to truly miss the CBUB and FLP.

Thanks everyone for all the wonderful memories.

Grano

That'll do, Grano. That'll do. ::) That being said, it's a pleasure to see you post again and happy to hear about your real life stuff. :) In fact was a pleasure knowing all of you. 

#92 Soberguy

Soberguy

Kneel before Zod

• Members
  • 2,214 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 12:59 PM

I knew you people couldn't survive without me.

#93 Incredible Hulk

Incredible Hulk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:Bowling, reading

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:49 PM

Have been with this site as long as some but I enjoyed it while it lasted. Going to miss to this great site. Hopefully someone can find or make a good site we can all migrate to before the complete shutdown. Also could someone post any link(s) to similar website(s) that several people from this site are using if any.

#94 Nova Force Nova

Nova Force Nova

Deadpan Snarker

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 14,957 posts
  • Interests:Interesting stuff.

Posted 29 July 2013 - 01:50 PM

http://www.electricf...electricferret/

#95 Kal2400

Kal2400

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 02:37 PM

darn man just when i got back into the site darn.

#96 Z451

Z451

Kneel before Zed

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 2,232 posts
  • Interests:Superheroes, Supervillains,
    Superhumans.

Scfi, Fantasy and Mystery, and everything in between.

Posted 29 July 2013 - 08:23 PM

Would it have a database and win/loss record for characters? I can help research characters for the starting database. Would be kind of cool having a fresh start for win/loss records.

I would be for that, I would try to give as much as I can. Would be nice if there was another option, maybe people can volunteer to run this site for Fox, I would sign up to help. Since time, not money seems to be the issue.

Yup. In fact, it is in devlopment on pey's website now http://electricferret.freeforums.net/

#97 Artemis Entreri

Artemis Entreri

Part of the Rag-Tag Fugitive Fleet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,165 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:47 PM

So very sadden by this. I've met many good friends here. This was my place to escape and enjoy other super creative minds like my own...

Serge, we never spoke but I want to sincerely thank you for this oppurtunity to explore my writing with good friends!!! My good sir you are very appreciated!!!

#98 RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Elder Predator

• Members
  • 5,866 posts
  • Interests:Alien, Predator, Alien vs Predator, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Terminator, Robocop, Highlander, Street Fighter, Dead or Alive, Soul Calibur, Dragonball Z, Darkstalkers, Rocky Balboa, Rambo, Psylocke, She-Hulk, Tifa Lockheart, Martial Arts, Tang Soo Do, Shotokan, Kyokushin, Shaolin, Wing Chun, Jeet Kun Do, Deadliest Warrior

Posted 30 July 2013 - 03:02 AM

So I just got a notice in my Yahoo Email and it was from DSkillz, saying that ElectricFerret was shutting down. I know I said that I had no plans on coming back but I just finished settling down in my new home, and am trying to get a job in order to better improve my financial situation.. however this is something I had to say my thoughts on.

ElectricFerret was once a place where I felt I could be accepted. Like a lot of people have said that it was a community but I felt as if in the past year or so that feeling of community was becoming a clique more and more. But I don't want to talk about that, I already had left this place on a bad note, but I feel as if I can get a second chance on leaving it on a much better note.

I am genuinely surprised to know that this wonderful site is now shutting down. I've read Serge's reasons to do it, and I completely understand and respect his decision. Having a site around for fifteen years is a long time and a show of dedication to a hobby. I have had several friends from this site, some people whose friendship I valued very much. People whom I've felt like I could trust. There have been many laughs shared, many great works of fan-fiction works I enjoyed reading on the CBUB, and some of the personalities of members I will never really forget. Some of the members here were really friendly, and to those whom I have some good standing with, don't be a stranger... keep in touch. If you want to exchange contacts, just hit me up with a PM.

I am really sorry to see that ElectricFerret is leaving. I've looked around the forum and heard that Pey's trying to port everything over but in my opinion.. there is only one ElectricFerret and it's this place. There maybe imitators out there but this was once the place to be and I enjoyed my time and some of the people I interacted with.

All good things must come to an end, and it's a shame for this place to go... Goodbye, farewell, may life be good to all of you and best wishes.

-Rakai'Thwei

#99 Lawman

Lawman

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Writing, Anime, Comic books, Video games, Play by post RPGs

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:53 AM

I was active on the FPL from roughly 2000 to 2006, and had some fond memories of the site, the discussions on the forums and the characters I've created. While I hadn't been part of the community since then, having moved on to other stuff, this still comes off as somewhat saddening. All I can say at this point is to thank you, Serge, for your wonderful dedication to this site, and for the FPL being such a wonderful way to spend my free time during those 6 years.

Thank you, the rest of you for our discussions in the forums and #fpl. I can't believe that we've gotten this far in so short a period of time. I still remember back in 2001-2003 how it felt like SO long back then, but now it seemed like so brief a span of time... but it was good while it lasted.

#100 Omega11

Omega11

Evil Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts

Posted 30 July 2013 - 02:06 PM

Wow, this makes me sad.

I first became aware of electricferret back around issue #34 X-Men vs Justice League(anyone know about when that was?). I commented on a few issues and voted and commented on some user matches but was mostly a lurker and didn't participate in the forums until much, much later.

I always intended to write a match eventually but my laziness and procrastination skills won out, and now it's too late.

But on the other hand I've always enjoyed debating matches and most of the people on here are a lot of fun. I'm going to miss this place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users