#1 FoxFingers

FoxFingers

webmaster

• Electric Ferret
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:52 PM

Hey all.

So, it's been 15 years working on this website.  Online since the Internet was young in 1997, it's been a good run with the electricferret, but all things must come to an end.  I am retiring from working on the existing interactive website areas of electricferret. 

Fifteen years is a loooong time folks, and I cannot do this anymore.  The personal time requirements needed to administrate, code, support and generally maintain the website are more than I can continue to expend.  And, as you know, this entire website is a completely non-profit endeavor for me, so besides the time and work that goes into its maintenance and production on my personal off hours, it is also an ongoing personal financial drain to me.

The interactive portions of the website will be closing down.  Here's the schedule.

Now - New registrations closed

by Aug 24th-25th - all CBUB / FPL functions closed down (matches, character creator, etc.)

The Forums - I do want you guys to be able to communicate and what not so I will close that out last.  

The Electricferret domain will continue to exist and serve Non Interactive content.  Things like the CBUB back issues and the FPL Character Database.  Basically, the existing things which do not require me to deal with the Login, Authentication and Maintenance of users or put any additional time or code into the website.  I have a lease on this server for the next 10 months, so the stuff will be up at least that long for your reference.

Thanks all.  Peace

-serge

#2 Tarvius

Tarvius

Ironwolverorschach Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:56 PM

Thank you for everything Serge. Best of luck to you. 

#3 AVP vs The Terminator

AVP vs The Terminator

Will never see the Adult Board

• CBUB Character Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,068 posts
  • Interests:Comics. Movies. Video Games. TV.

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:16 PM

tumblr_meagpxA39j1rz1azxo1_500.jpg

#4 Nova Force Nova

Nova Force Nova

Deadpan Snarker

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 14,957 posts
  • Interests:Interesting stuff.

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:17 PM

What Tarv said...wait, Tarv? HAI TARV!

But yes, it's been a hell of a run for my 5+ years. Thanks for all of it.

#5 thanosisawesome

thanosisawesome

Nuking the site from orbit

• Members
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:19 PM

Well. It was fun while it lasted. Thanks for everything.

#6 Landon

Landon

The Main Character

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:20 PM

The Ferret's been my online home since 1998. I've made quite a few good friends through this place.

So yeah, Thanks.

As for the boards, I'm gonna look into seeing what I need to do to host some over at my website. The fight-making and character-making stuff won't be there, but people'll be able to keep in touch.

#7 Mr.Wronkite123

Mr.Wronkite123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Super Smash Bros.
    Animation
    TV
    Interwebs

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:29 PM

:'( Aw, well. It was fun while it lasted... :)

#8 corvette1710

corvette1710

The Bastard Child of Sarcasm and Hypocrisy

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 5,202 posts
  • Interests:Stuff. Durr.

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:35 PM

Well... it had to happen eventually, I suppose.

#9 bigballerju

bigballerju

The Last Son of Krypton

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 9,316 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Women, Comics, Games, Music, Clubs, Movies, and more.

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:39 PM

CBUB had a great run. Thanks for the great site. I just realized I have been here for years now. I enjoyed my time here.

#10 deojusto

deojusto

I am One with the Ferret.

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • 4,023 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:42 PM

Ah mannnnnnnnnnnnn, 

Still, it was all good times. The FPL helped hone me as a writer, and I met a lot of cool people. I'm sad to see it go.  Goodbye to all y'all, though I should probably do more personal goodbyes to some of you guys.  

#11 Tarvius

Tarvius

Ironwolverorschach Man

• Members
  • 1,742 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:42 PM

First off, Hi Nova. 

Also, since everybody else is doing it... 

Was active around the site from 2007-2011 in various capacities. Had a lot of fun during my peak years, received some great advice, and most importantly made some fantastic friends. 

That'll do Ferret. That'll do. 

#12 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:48 PM

Wow, ElectricFerret in one way or another has been a place for me to hang out on the internet for 6-7 years now. I loved this place and it helped me with my writing a lot. This place got me a lot of As and I met a lot of grand people here. I hope Khazan continues on in one way or another, even without the Fight SetUps and the MatchUps, Khazan was all about a bunch of friends getting together to tell stories. 

Perhaps we should make an email address thread for people to keep in touch? 

#13 KevinDWolf93

KevinDWolf93

A fluffy puppy with a heart of gold!

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 12,353 posts
  • Interests:Mythology and other lore, reading, writing, Werewolves/wolves, weapons, science fiction, fighting, 19th/20th century literature (ex. Moby Dick, Call of the Wild, Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:53 PM

Mmhmm: Ima try and not leave with regrets of stuff I shoulda done. SO much for all the time in the world :P. Who knows where all the stuff will go from there though: I'm sure some nut will do something to honor what's come before elsewhere...may be me but who knows! Regardless it's been a good 5 or so years, give or take a few months before this very forum got remodeled. Pretty much ox you have no idea how much I(possibly a few others) owe you. So just think of a really big number and keep adding, I hope you do some awesome ok? Cause you deserve it.

@Pseudo- Yeah, even if FPL will be closing it's doors I think there' other ways to closure to those threads and such. Landon's idea sund sinteresting and email to see if anybody can whip up something of a successor would be awesome as a community. Still, I learned a lot from a lot of guys and I'm happy for that much. I certainly don't want to just move on from you guys if you don't plan to though. I'm still technically on-call for internet life at Treach's fiction whim if he ever needs that called in.

PPS: HI TARViS!

#14 Nova Force Nova

Nova Force Nova

Deadpan Snarker

• CBUB Character Admin
  • 14,957 posts
  • Interests:Interesting stuff.

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:59 PM

How ya been Tarv? Good I hope.

Also, could use some more members on Facebook...or could connect via Twitter, or email as Pseudo suggested. And then all the 3 or 4 various offshoots of EF...possibilities.

#15 Updatedude

Updatedude

Don't feed him after midnight

• FPL Undercards Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:03 PM

Tis sad, a few of us have been here HELLA long. But in the end, I wanna say, thank you very much. There ain't many websites that can produce sentimental value, but you've succeeded with EF.

#16 LoneWolf

LoneWolf

Believes Han shot first

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,287 posts
  • Interests:Comics from the 90's. Movies. RPG's.

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:06 PM

It is clear what this means. We need to find a new place and a way to identify CBUBers. Anyone have other good sites with comics/fanfiction and stuff?

#17 Confession FPT

Confession FPT

The Cacti Guy

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts
  • Interests:Lucha Libre, baby!

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:07 PM

I've been on this website since I was in 6th grade...I'm now in college. This site has been here for me and been awesome through some of the toughest parts of my life...I will miss this...and you all. Thank you Serge. 

#18 Ivan

Ivan

Canon Fodder

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:09 PM

Yeah, been around since 1999.

Fox, will any older version of the FPL architecture be available?  Even, like, the 2002 version would be totally awesome, but I don't know if you have copies of any of that stuff.

#19 ThreeDark

ThreeDark

Hobbit

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 811 posts
  • Interests:cacoethes scribendi

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:11 PM

What's said is said. Honestly it's been about five more years than I expected, in the long run. You've done a great job here, Serge. Good luck and take care.

Also the MG forums will have an essay form that must be passed with an above average grade in order to successfully apply for membership.

#20 KevinDWolf93

KevinDWolf93

A fluffy puppy with a heart of gold!

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 12,353 posts
  • Interests:Mythology and other lore, reading, writing, Werewolves/wolves, weapons, science fiction, fighting, 19th/20th century literature (ex. Moby Dick, Call of the Wild, Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:19 PM

link me!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users