• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Sir Exal

Sir Exal

Still Here, somehow.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • Interests:Promising myself I'll change and then never doing it.

Posted 29 November 2009 - 11:18 PM

O-kah. Here we go with the promised RP. (Thanks to whoever voted for Sector General, BTW. But this, I think, is the most solid choice.)

Anyway, The Queen of Autumn Leaves is an urban fantasy RP You’re all peoples living presumably normal lives before you venture into the realm of Faerie, I world of intense violence, passionate emotions, and unimaginable creatures. But I’ve given away too much.

You characters live in Vogeline, a midsize suburb of Indianapolis, Indiana. Vogeline is the kind of
beautiful town poets used to write odes to, with large parks, rolling hills, and basically, just the kind of place that makes one yen to spend time outside. Vogeline is known mostly for the Bull Arts and Literature University, whose campus takes up much of the area, and is perhaps at is heart a small college town. It’s the slightly simpler time of fall 2000, the first week of November, a wonderful, mild fall just beginning to wind down.

Write up your character sheet as such:

Name:

You’re probably either a teen or young adult.

Appearance:
Several sentences on what your character looks like, their normal clothes, hair color, etc.

Personality: A paragraph for ow your character acts, his/her hobbies, extracurriculars, and so on.

Friends/Relatives: I feel many RP makers leave this out; I want to know who factors largely into your character’s life, friends and family, and anyone else if they fall in a different category.

Strengths: Two or three things your character is skilled in or just good at. You should probably mention why as well.

Weaknesses: Naturally, two or three things your character isn’t so hot at. These do not have to be crippling flaws, but they should be somewhat notable.

Important Incident: This is significant. The world of fae does not permit passage easily; however, once Faerie touches you, it leaves an indelible, invisible mark on your soul. And once Faerie has been witnessed, the odds of the world embracing you once again rise immensely.

This is an event in your character’s past where they, in some way, shape, or form, encountered a creature of the faewild. This event could be meaningless or life-changing, be engraved into your character’s memory or have been dismissed as easily as a dream (faerie, after all, has a innate etherealness to it). The only important thing is that it happened.

-/-

Two last notes: One, only four characters are to be let in; any more is too complicated. One slot is set aside for someone who participated in the initial try; one slot is reserved for someone knew. Other than that, have at it.

Second, the faewild is an unforgiving place. Your mistakes and stupidity will have consequences. Think of that before you post.

#2 Hugo Fowl

Hugo Fowl

I am One with the Ferret.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,162 posts
  • Interests:Discworld, Hellsing, Kingdom Hearts, writing, RP's, drama, etc.

Posted 30 November 2009 - 02:32 PM

Name: Samuel Slade

Appearance: No real favorites, but I do have a black trench that I'm fond of. That and my hat. If you saw more than that, it probably means your dead. If you do see more and are still breathing congrats, you've just made friends with Samuel Slade, psycho Irishman. Its a pleasure to meet you.

Posted Image

Personality: My momma always said my mouth would get me in trouble. Its like a bottomless pit of insults and one-liners that won't shut up! But what the heck, I've been accused of worse. Besides, its my way of coping with the trauma of my youth and serves a purpose merely to hide the shattered heart that yearns for love.....NAH! Or we could say I've always been an all-around a**-hole. That works too.

Friends/Relatives: I don't really keep in touch with my folks, other then a phone call now and then. I do however, know this other guy who I like to call for a favor now and then. His username is MyLittlePony666, but I just call him Jimbo. Best hacker in the world I know, though he does it more for the kicks then for business. What else can you expect from a guy who calls himself MyLittlePony666? He's co-owner of a bar called the Kickback with his wife, Meredith. She may talk tough, but between you and me shes a big softie. Just don't let her catch you calling her that.

Strengths: So anyway, I knew that I'd have to toughen up a bit so I can be prepared so I started learning kendo and marksmanship. I fancy myself pretty good with blades and firearms in general now. But for the special cases, I bring out my big boys. My favorite sword is a custom-made Katana with a high iron content, I call her Reaper. My "boomstick" on the other hand comes with two kinds of bullets, iron and silver. What? You never know what else may be out there. But on the whole, I like to depend on my knowledge and brains to come up with the plans.

Weaknesses: I really hate heights. Seriously. You can blame that on me climbing the church steeple in my youth and getting stuck there. Also, I'm not really much of a fistfighter, I never learned and what I do know comes from youtube.

Important Incident: So anyway, my momma always said I'll be good at something. What I didn't know that what I was good at, was scorned on a day-to-day basis by most people. But I suppose it all started with that "hellish, decadent tv show" as my preacher daddy liked to say. Naturally, I loved it. I always caught Supernatural, the X-files and all those crazy shows whenever I could. Of course at my high school, to admit to such made you worse then the geekiest nerd alive. It didn't help matters that I was the geekiest nerd alive at the school. I was pretty much a social leper save for this one friend of mine who stood up for me whenever I couldn't. Her name was Isabelle Fleur. It did wonders for my masculinity.
So anyway, we were out at our secret hideout in what the kids referred to as "the wild", which now that I think of it was a pretty fitting name. There was just some quality to it that seemed to defy all the conventions and trappings of civilization and brought our hidden fantasies to life. Whether knight or pirate, ghoul or mad scientist, whatever you wanted to be there, you could. And it was ours, or so I was led to believe.
So it was a day like any other, me and her were just chilling in our place when she turned to me and asked "do you believe in fairy's?" This is what you call a trick question. On the one hand, I could just say no and incur her possible wrath and might kill a fairy into the bargain. I did read Peter Pan after all. But, if I said yes and word got out I could add gay to the heady list of monikers I was becoming known by. What the heck, I couldn't say no to a friend. Goodbye manhood.

"Yes."

The big smile on her face was totally worth it. She started getting all excited and began to start chattering about seeing some around in the woods and that they invited her over to their world for the day. I thought it was another game and played with her for the rest of that day. If only I knew.
For a three days I didn't see her at school and when I went to her house, her mom was just as frantic. Apparently, to cover her escapade she told her mom that she was gonna stay over at my house. If Hell hath no fury as a woman scorned, it hath also no demon as an angry mother. The police were brought into it, the woods were searched again and again and an all points bulletin was posted in every state. I knew it would never work. I knew that somehow, I don't know how, she somehow entered a realm I only could view in my imagination, and my WoW game. I knew that the only way I could ever get her back was to study my enemy, and when they came out....make them pay. So, that's basically my life story and the reason I'm currently driving my trailer, listening to a Best of Queen tape on the highway. I'm looking for my friend, even if I have to drive down the Pit itself. I always knew I'll be good at something, I just never knew it'll be monster hunting. Eric Kripke, eat your heart out.

-/-

So am I in?

#3 Shilane

Shilane

SPOOOON!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Interests:Drawing comics and pinups. At times, writing. Being a Spriest. Stuff. Mr. Graves <3

Posted 30 November 2009 - 06:37 PM

Name: Guinevere "Gwen" Necthana

Occupation: Associate Professor of Compartitive World Literature, Specialty Pagan Culture

Appearance: Although she's always held that she was of Irish decent, there's little doubt that there was some Scandinavian blood mixed in at some point. While her brothers and sisters are a mix of blondes and redheads with thousands of freckles between them, Gwen's hair is so platinum it borders on white. She hasn't a single freckle to her name and while her siblings all sport bright green eyes, her eyes are the blue-grey of winter morning skies. Her skin reflects her Irish heritage in its own way though, pearly white and translucent enough for prominent veins to show blue just under the surface. She has the androgyny that high end fashion seeks which gets her teased to no end by her sisters who used to say she was shemale. She will wear any colour that looks good on her although she has a habit of favouring black, much to her mother's dismay. She has a great love for suit vests and a good dress shirt and she'll more often than not wearing some combination of the two with a good pair of black slacks or jeans. It's an odd sense of style with its highly feminine blouses and heels coupled with man chic vests and blazers and slacks that show just how long and slender her legs are. But she makes it look good and it suits her androgynous appearance. She doesn't have much of a body but she's lean and athletic, having participated in cross country while in school. She wears a size two and is five foot ten inches tall.

Personality: Some people call her dour, which she finds a bit unfair. She simply has very little commentary to give and isn't prone to giving compliments unless she feels they're earned. She feels the same about criticism, although she feels that criticism and insight are earned much more frequently. She isn't in any way mean spirited and is in fact very thoughtful. She just isn't an extrovert and doesn't reveal much about herself and people tend to find that unappealing and think her secretive or snobbish. She'd be more open if people would simply asked her questions but they tend not to because they find her taciturn nature intimidating. This paradox tends to be a source of irritation for her when it creates interpersonal issue with people in her department or with her students but otherwise not much gets her down. She has a quick temper and it is intense but very few things will trigger it so most have never seen her furious. Her other emotions tend to come off as muted and people mistake a quiet smile for only mild amusement or happiness when she in fact is probably overjoyed. She doesn't get many second dates as a result.

She doesn't seek excitement in her life and so she tends to be a bit of a homebody, preferring to read and write and play board games rather than going out to a bar. She does go out though, mostly to the Starbucks near the campus where she reads, to the library, out shopping for clothes, in search of supplies for her multitude of stay at home hobbies, and the occasional long solitary walk through the park. But there isn't much thrill to her life. She does come alive when she teaches and some have found it jarring to see her become so animated when she tells her students tales from the Dionysus' coming into his godhead or of Blessed Elua's wanderings. She runs a cooking club with a few of her friends and they occasionally teach people how to bake around the holidays. Red Velvet cake is usually a big hit. Otherwise, she has little social life to speak of and no love life whatsoever.

Friends/Relatives:
Gwen is blessed with an enormous family that contains her parents, a grandmother, more uncles and aunts and cousins than are worth naming and her seven siblings. Her parents are Conor and Moira Necthana. Her siblings, from oldest to youngest, are Conor and Aiden (twins), Liadan, Finbar, Galen, Padriac, and Aine. Her grandmother is Fola Bridei, and it was she who put the stories of faerie and old Erin in Gwen's head. Gwen is her father's favourite of all his children and her mother's favourite in the kitchen. The only cousin worth mentioning is Liam, a second cousin that she is very much attached to, who lived with them for several years as a child when his father and mother were incarcerated. They are best friends and he is the co-founder of her cooking club. Gwen also shares a particularly strong bond with her eldest brothers, Conor and Aiden, and they are fiercely protective of her. She loves her sisters Aine and Liadan very much but doesn't have very much in common with either of them and they don't speak much. She and Padriac find it impossible to get along and he is often outright mean to her. He's mean to everyone though. She, Galen and Finbar get along well enough although have little in common as Galen is a research scientist and has passion only for his sharks and Finbar is guitarist for a punk band that still hasn't made it. She has very few friends outside of her family and the only two that are notable are Natasha Coleman from the Illustration Department and David Harris, a barista from the Starbucks who has a true appreciation for coffee and baked goods.

Strengths: Knowledge is probably her greatest strength, being a walking encyclopedia of Early European history, folklore from all over the world, religion and literature. She's an excellent chef thanks to her mother's years of training and is skilled in all sorts of domestic things like sewing and cleaning. An odd list of skills but she does know how to get a wine stain out of a silk blouse without ruining it. She's also a good communicator, for one so disinclined to talk socially, making her the most diplomatic of the Necthana clan and quite good at mediating disputes between her siblings. She used to hold a record for cross country but it's long since been destroyed by someone younger and faster than her. But she's still a good runner and jogs frequently with Natasha.

Weaknesses: Her greatest weakness would be her naivety. She's known no real hardship in her life and has been sheltered all her life against people who would try to use her by her brothers and Liam. This makes her incredibly easy to manipulate because part of her truly believes that everyone is a good person. She's prone to taking things at face value and believing in the good will of strangers. She's been lucky so far to have the three men in her life to ward off unseemly men and other indecent folk. She's swift enough and in shape but she's not strong by any means. She probably couldn't throw a punch to save her life and wouldn't even know where to begin in a fight. She's not stupid but she's not particularly smart either, at least when it comes to the hard sciences and math. She's fair with arithmetic but beyond that she finds math to be a bit of a struggle. As Galen puts it, she's a source of knowledge, not wisdom. She's more than a bit of a follower, used to having Liam and Aiden being the decisive members of their little clique. She doesn't think very well on her feet and is ill prepared for dealing with crises outside of the home or classroom. When Conor hit a pedestrian with his car and gave Gwen the phone to call the paramedics, she was so helpless that she couldn't even do that and Finbar had to snatch the phone from her. She's somewhat useless as anything besides a scholar and a housewife.

Important Incident: There are plenty of deer in Indiana, even deer farmers who uses them as stock for hunting season. But never had Gwen seen a white stag before in her life. Liam, Gwen, Aiden, Finbar and Conor were often in the woods just over the hill from their family estate, scrambling over fallen trees and rocks, playing hide and seek and doing what unruly children would. Throughout their childhood, they roamed that small patch of woods and hills, learning every little cave, which trees were the best for climbing and where raspberries grew in the late summer. They thought they knew everything about those woods.

When Gwen was twelve, making the twins just shy of their twenty-first birthday, they came across the white stag. Or rather, they chased it like foolhardy children. It was Thanksgiving and they were restless from being locked up inside of a house brimming with relatives. They made their escape after the pumpkin pie and went racing for the hills, giggling and chattering about Aunt Sibeal's painful impulse to pinch their cheeks if they got too close. As they penetrated the first stand of trees, they saw movement in the distance. It was late, dark even with the nearly full moon and they couldn't discern what it was. It frightened Gwen and she pulled on Conor's arm, whining that they should go back and stick to the garden. But the boys were a bit drunk and it made them a bit more intrepid than usual. With a pleading Gwen in tow, the five of them made their way deeper into the woods, following the slowly moving shape through the dim light. It didn't take long to make it to a clearing where there was only the thinnest veil of trees separating this edge of the woods from a meadow that met a gently sloping hill to the east. The Necthana children stumbled out from the woods just in time to watch their quarry disappear back into the darkness on the far side of the clearing. It was an enormous stag, larger than any buck Gwen had seen her father bring home. It had a thick coat, more luxurious than what the local fare wore even in the depths of winter. Pure white and calm, it plodded back into the forest, vanishing as the shadows cast by the trees absorbed it. Their night vision was ruined by the moonlight that streamed into the clearing. Why were the woods so dark?

Their wonder ended in anxiety as the oldest boys started to sober up and in the still of the night, every little sound filtered into the clearing. Gwen had already been scared and the boys began to feel wary of the rustling in the woods that they could not see. Perhaps it was the stag coming back to the clearing. Or maybe it was wolves. Finbar turned suddenly to the groups back and sucked in his breath sharply. It didn't even matter what he saw, it was enough to send them running. Liam near dragged Gwen behind him by her wrist as they made for the meadow. She was too slow and stumbled, wrenching her arm from his grip. Conor was the first to turn and scoop her up effortlessly, breaking out in a dead run back to the lights of their home. Looking over his shoulder, Gwen swore she saw the figure of a woman standing at the edge of the woods, dark haired and pale skinned.

In the end, they laughed at their foolishness and disregarded what they saw and heard, attributing it to alcohol and a child's imagination. There was no woman and the stag was just one of those albino deer that show up but rarely. They shrugged of their grandmother's warning that the white stag was a messenger from the Otherworld and should be heeded. Gwen and Finbar believed for a time, having not been inebriated at the time, but like a lot of childhood beliefs, it melted away as they became full fledged teenagers and had other things to worry about. Later, Gwen and Finbar would have a moment of doubt as he confessed that he what he saw in the clearing that night behind them was was a woman with skin like Gwen's and hair like the night sky. At the time, he thought her to be fey, but had long since discarded the notion. When Gwen told him that she thought she saw a woman as they fled, they were overcome by the coincidence and awkwardly waved it away as nonsense. It bothered them both for about a week before the memory faded again to the back of their minds and life continued as normal.

#4 Kinetic War

Kinetic War

Don't feed him after midnight

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • Interests:This article is too long. Consider splitting it into separate articles.

Posted 01 December 2009 - 01:14 PM

Awww, no Sector General? I'm sure you could have pulled that off quite nicely. Oh well, no need to complain, as this sounds great too.

-----

Name: Jake Marvin

Appearance: A young man with pale blue eyes and a light brown hair he keeps neatly combed. He also has a short chin beard. His body is well-toned as a result of an active nature. Jake's dressing style is smart casual, usually he's wearing a t-shirt beneath an unbuttoned semi-formal shirt. Black is his colour of choice in pants, and in true Seinfeld-style, he always wears white sneakers. His most striking feature is his constant smile.

Personality: Outgoing and social, but not very hard-working. Jake loves to have fun and party, and being the center of attention comes naturally to him. His philosophy is "If you don't like what you're doing, don't do it!". He feels life is too short to waste on boring stuff, and he might go to great lengths to show that all he really cares about is having a good time. Especially at parties, Jake has the tendency to take things too far in an effort to impress or entertain his peers. He objects to most rules and regulations, which he feels are there to chain him down, not because they might have a real use. There are very few people who can talk sense into Jake when he's going overboard. These are usually the people he looks up to, most likely father figures of sorts. Jake loves playing sports. He's always practising at least two sports at any given period in his life, but he gets bored easily, which is why he changes hobbies very frequently. At the beginning of the story, Jake's just taken up basketball and parkour. When he has time over from his other activities, Jake can be found in his messy university apartment, practicing guitar. He's not particularly good yet, a fact his roommate can verify.
Due to Jake's immature, disoriented nature and a bit macho attitude, his personal life is a mess. He has never had a real job or a real relationship, and he ignores his strengths as an entertainer, particularly in the area of singing. He has the beautiful voice of a tenor, but his childhood experiences with very 'manly' stepdads has made him think singing is for sissies. He has trouble with the creative side of his personality, which struggles to show itself from behind the macho side of Jake's personality. His greatest fear is being labeled as a wuss.

Friends/Relatives: As a typical fun-loving guy, Jake has many buddies to hang out with at the campus, but very few true friends. He still keeps in touch with his childhood friend Brad Rayner, who lives and works as a newspaper reporter in Atlanta, but they rarely see each other anymore. His mother lives alone in a suburb of Jacksonville, Florida, Jake's birth place. Jake still goes to visit her during his holidays. Jake never knew his real father, but he has a long line of stepfathers, all of whom he's more or less happy to have lost contact with. At the University, he has befriended his music teacher, a 45-year-old German professor named Bruno Muller. He's one of the few people Jake is actually willing to listen to. They occasionally go out for drinks and a game of darts at the local pub. The relationship between Jake and his roommate Floyd, a painter and an introvert, is strained at best.

Strengths: Jake has excellent body coordination due to his love for different kinds of sport activities, and he keeps in shape. Though calling Jake a 'slacker' would be an understatement, he has shown considerable talent in singing, talking and entertaining in general. His music teacher recognizes his gift for entertainment, but has a hard time convincing Jake to cultivate his skills, as Jake sees singing and dancing as "girls' stuff".

Weaknesses: Jake's very short attention span makes concentrating on a given task very difficult, almost impossible for him, unless it's something he thoroughly enjoys. Though he's trying to present himself as very tough and manly, he tends to be very naive and trusting, generous even, something mean-spirited individuals often take advantage of. His most defining weakness, however, is his unconscious but very strong fear of rejection, which is a major factor in most of his problems.

Important Incident: One day, at the age of seven, Jake came home from school a bit earlier than usual due to a teacher getting sick. As he entered the hallway, he happened to overhear a heated verbal exchange his mother and her new boyfriend were having about Jake, a conversation that has, thankfully, been erased from his memory. He ran away in tears and hid under a shrub he often used as his personal hiding place. Unbeknowst to him, a small, ethereal being that had often watched him play there saw what happened and decided to console the sad little boy. It made itself visible and took the form of a young human girl, yet still maintaining its magical aura. It encountered the crying Jake under the bush and calmed him down by taking him on a trip to see the wonders of another world, a place of fantasy and magic, where he wouldn't be hurt by the evil that men do. During the journey, Jake was overwhelmed by the strange world beneath ours, and would forever have an unconscious longing to return there again. The Fairie that Jake knew only as an eight-year old girl named Pixie brought him back under his favourite shrub in the evening. Before vanishing, she gave him a small kiss on the forehead as he drifted off into peaceful sleep. Since then, Jake has had the unconscious habit of touching this spot whenever in doubt, in order to see the situation more clearly. Jake has all but forgotten about the incident, which is only occasionally shown to him in dreams. He usually forgets about these dreams before he wakes up, leaving only a lingering feeling of inner peace and tranquility. If he happens to have such a dream on the night before an exam, he usually gets a better score than he otherwise would.

#5 Sir Exal

Sir Exal

Still Here, somehow.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:05 AM

Fowl: No. No, no no no and no.

I don't know if I didn't make this clear, but this is not a battle-centric RP. And even if it was, these are not battle-hardened warriors. These are normal young adults who get dragged into faerie. I don't mind a little cynicism. I don't mind a drifter. I don't mind a little badassness. But I'm not taking Roland the muthafukkin' gunslinger into a quiet urban fantasy setting...at least not as a player.

Actually, I like the Incident. I really like it. But I don't see it turning someone into a Harrison Ford character. Make him a Shia LaBoeuf character or something. And the weapons, christ! How does this guy even make a living? Monsters don't exist. QoAL!world is the exact same belief level as real life.

Shilane: Good. I like it, mostly.

But...I've never been to Ireland, but somehow I don't think they believe in fey as deeply as say, Catholicism. I don't mind the crackpot grandma, but to believe so much of it...enh. As I said, belief of fey is no larger in this world. Not huge. Besides that, (and mind this too, Hugo) the world of fey rarely allows glimpses into its true nature. Very rarely would it allow such a long stare. Fey isn't more apparent if you believe.

If you're married to the Incident, I can make it work, but to make it a little more low-key would be nice.

Kinetic: Excellent. The only question I have is where does he go to school if he's 24?

#6 Shilane

Shilane

SPOOOON!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Interests:Drawing comics and pinups. At times, writing. Being a Spriest. Stuff. Mr. Graves <3

Posted 02 December 2009 - 05:02 AM

Mmmm... I see what you're saying. It did occur to me that they would be very devoutly Catholic rather than pagan and that the folklore would be viewed more as just stories than an actual religion. It's sort of complicated because I meant for them to be a more old fashioned Irish family. Yes, they are Catholic and go to mass the whole nine yards but at the same time don't think it hurts to remember the old ways. It's really hard to explain. It's like how a super modern Japanese family that goes to church can still do little things to appease spirits and participate in Shinto rituals and superstitions. It's sort of more that it's part of their heritage and culture than just their religion. You put out the oatcakes for brownies and keep the stories in mind, just in case. I'm open to talk about it more to see if we can flesh it out so that we're both happy with it.

As for the incident, I hate it and plan to rework it. It's really too much. I crinkle my nose at how easy it is to get Mary-Suey with it. I'll make edits in the morning when I'm not dead.

#7 Kinetic War

Kinetic War

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  • Interests:This article is too long. Consider splitting it into separate articles.

Posted 02 December 2009 - 06:01 AM

Kinetic: Excellent. The only question I have is where does he go to school if he's 24?

Too much? I intended to convey the idea that Jake was sort of 'late for life': that he spent a year or two after high school just slacking around, staying at his mother's place, probably involved in some failed get-rich-quickly schemes with his pals back in Jacksonville, before getting his act together and enrolling in a university of his choice. I envisioned Jake's major to be Music History, a subject that would make sense given his natural inclination towards the arts, while still being 'serious' enough to not jeopardize his precious macho attitude.

But, I confess I know next to nothing about the practice of the schooling system in the US, having never lived, much less studied there, so anything you suggest is fine by me. Would an age around 20 to 22 seem more appropriate?

#8 Hugo Fowl

Hugo Fowl

• Members
  • 7,162 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:26 PM

@ Exal: My bad. I didn't see the setting until I scrolled down and thought this RP was Supernatural-esque. I'll tone it down, thanks for the constructive criticism.

#9 Hugo Fowl

Hugo Fowl

• Members
  • 7,162 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 02:15 PM

Vogeline, a midsize suburb of Indianapolis, Indiana. Vogeline is the kind of
beautiful town poets used to write odes to, with large parks, rolling hills, and basically, just the kind of place that makes one yen to spend time outside. Vogeline is known mostly for the Hall Arts and Literature University, whose campus takes up much of the area, and is perhaps at is heart a small college town. It’s the slightly simpler time of fall 2000, the first week of November, a wonderful, mild fall just beginning to wind down.

Name: James H. Ooke

Occupation
: At the time of this story, he is working in a bar off-campus called the Jolly Roger. A pirate-centric place for the students to have fun in their off-time.

Appearance: He is a person of medium build with deep-set eyes and a perpetual smirk in the corner of his mouth. Its not quite certain what ethnicity he is, as he seems to blend all sorts of traits from every culture, though he has said when asked that his mother was Cherokee. In dress, he's fond of his red trench coat and his Tampa bay buccaneers cap that he wears at a perpetual crooked angle.

Personality: By day, he takes several classes and by night, he works at the Jolly Roger to help pay for his tuition. He's generally a quiet person, and doesn't really go out of his way to meet people, giving him a queer reputation at the school. The one class where he surprises people however, is in drama where he sheds his identity and pulls on a new one at will. If he feels really comfortable around you, then his joking nature comes out and he will be your friend for life.

Friends/Relatives
: He's estranged from his parents and haven't seen them for four years. But he has made friends with his boss "Barbecue" who lets him stay for free in his house above the bar. He's also on good terms with a nursing student, one Jennifer Syn who works part-time as a waitress whom he has a crush on.

Strengths
: There are very few things that could induce James to come out of his shell. One of them is the arts, he is a notable hand at acting and music. The second is a fencing club that he visits every Friday and Saturday to boost his confidence.

Weaknesses
: He has ADHD and this quality makes some classes harder for him to concentrate as he refuses drugs to boost himself. He's embarrassed at this defect as well, which makes it harder for him to know people.

Important Incident: It was a long time ago boss, that happened when I was maybe....13? No, 14 years old when it happened. See, I was pretty much a social leper in high school save for this one friend of mine who stood up for me whenever I couldn't. Her name was Isabelle Fleur. It did wonders for my masculinity. Stop laughing Barbecue, I'm not gonna finish until-fine.
So anyway, we were out at our secret hideout in what the kids referred to as "the wild", which now that I think of it was a pretty fitting name. There was just some quality to it that seemed to defy all the conventions and trappings of civilization and brought our hidden fantasies to life. Whether knight or pirate, ghoul or mad scientist, whatever you wanted to be there, you could. And it was ours, or so I was led to believe.
So it was a day like any other, me and her were just chilling in our place when she turned to me and asked "do you believe in fairy's?" This is what you call a trick question. On the one hand, I could just say no and incur her possible wrath and might kill a fairy into the bargain. I did read Peter Pan after all. But, if I said yes and word got out I could add gay to the heady list of monikers I was becoming known by. What the heck, I couldn't say no to a friend. Goodbye manhood.

"Yes."

The big smile on her face was totally worth it. Oh for the love of-?! Stop laughing man, I was just a kid! So where was I? She started getting all excited and began to start chattering about seeing some around in the woods and that they invited her over to their world for the day. I thought it was another game and played with her for the rest of that day. If only I knew. Well see, that's where it gets interesting.
For three days I didn't see her at school and when I went to her house, her mom was just as frantic. Apparently, to cover her escapade she told her mom that she was gonna stay over at my house. If Hell hath no fury as a woman scorned, it hath also no demon as an angry mother. The police were brought into it, the woods were searched again and again and an all points bulletin was posted in every state. I knew it would never work.
Look, maybe she did run away from home. Maybe she did go somewhere, but its been six years now and for the life of me, she hasn't even said goodbye. I-she was my friend. So to make a long story short, I dropped out of school and bummed around the states until I realized I had to clean up my life. So here I am. No, I haven't spoken to my parents in years. Why? Well, lets just say I want to be something when I walk back through that door till then, I'm working on it. Hey by the way boss, thanks. I really needed that talk.

-----------------------------------------------------

Is this more believable?

#10 Sir Exal

Sir Exal

Still Here, somehow.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 03:24 PM

The Fantastic Mr. Fowl: Better. Much better. If I have any specific gripes I'll post later but pretty much solid all around. The tone change is a little annoying, and I think you can do a better job writing the incident.

Shilane-lagh: Yes, but keep in mind fae is not Shinto. It's not like believing in paganism, it's like going all apeshit Native American totem gods. Good for crazy grandparents, not so much for the 'enlightened' next generations.

Also, I thought about it, and could you tone down her knowledge of the lore? Most urban fantasy has a 'stranger in a strange land' feel, and we lose that when one character's like, "ooh! That's a Selkie! That's a Cait Sith!" etc. She can still be knowledgeable, but not an expert in it.

War! Unh!: What threw me was the "student council" line; doesn't exist in college, at least not in the US. Also, an age of 24 implies he was 'fooling around' for three to six years, which, while not unheard of, is a little odd for someone who doesn't have other problems (especially if he enrolls out-of-state).

#11 Kinetic War

Kinetic War

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 04:56 PM

@ Exal: Duly noted. I've made the needed edits to the post, and I took the liberty of adding a few details I felt would be useful. I think a character with a Peter Pan syndrome of sorts might fit well in this kind of a story.

#12 Shilane

Shilane

SPOOOON!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 08:45 PM

I think I have a lot of reworking to do to make this more what you'd like my character to be so I'll probably repost the entire profile when I'm done with it. I still feel like taking away her heritage and culture is weird but I'll try to tone it down a bit. Would it make more sense if I mentioned that her family is Irish immigrants rather than Americanized Irish who have been here for several generations? I don't want to be too pushy about it since it's your game and all but at the same time, the folklore and holidays of Celtic mythology are still a very big deal in Ireland and very much a part of the culture. Thoughts? Also, when you say you want her knowledge toned down, do you want me to just make her something else other than a professor of folklore?

#13 Sir Exal

Sir Exal

Still Here, somehow.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 11:42 PM

I don't think you have to change that much, I just don't think she should think of the fey folklore as fact. It's fantasy, and even if you do leave the oatcakes out it's like leaving the stockings out for Santa Claus. A silly tradition done for tradition's sake.

Just tone down the certainty in Faerie and, as you said, change the incident a bit. Otherwise, I really do like it.

And re: her topic; her current one's fine, just take out the emphasis on Eastern European Folklore (but it's fine if she's studied the topic a bit).

#14 Shilane

Shilane

SPOOOON!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:14 PM

I tweaked bits of her profile and reworked the incident. Let me know what you think.

#15 Magnus

Magnus

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 03 December 2009 - 11:32 PM

*Enter character here*

Will be posted tomorrow when not dead on feet.

#16 geomease

geomease

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 09:04 AM

Finally a reason to come back to the boards. Disregard or delete this post I did a major overhaul on Hoshie renaming him and changing a number of things.

#17 Sir Exal

Sir Exal

Still Here, somehow.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 10:51 PM

*edits for cleaning up Mine*

Actually, Geordin, now that I look at him, she seems a little...light compared to James, Jake and Gwen. Howzabout you put in a paragraph of his life (say, expounding on his parents' death and sister's guardianship). Otherwise is fine. And is Hoshi his first or last name?

Otherwise, we got the four, RP to start soonish. And Magnus, if'n you wanna post a character and join in, I can squeeze you in fine.

#18 geomease

geomease

Cannon Fodder

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 09:50 AM

Awww ok, I was hoping to allude or expand on that in game a bit but I can do that. I would like to keep some things a bit vague.

Name: Sammy Mine (first name is Sammy)

Occupation: unsure what you want us to put here, so I’ll edit this later.

Appearance: Thick shiny black hair with brown eyes, about 4’8 feet 95 lb, whitish yellow skin, American Japanese decent, rather small frame and effeminate appearance, lacks many distinguishing male characteristics such as broad shoulders or dense musculature.

Personality: Shy and reserved, has an intense fear of public humiliation and thus tries to avoid conflict with people by submitting in a confrontation. Rarely prone to violent behavior, though seeing people he cares about mistreated gets him angry he rarely speaks out for fear of being hurt or humiliated as a result. Has an interest in building models and constructing small things such as pocket watches and small mechanics. While Sammy is often the victim of bullies he rarely ever complains about his predicaments feeling it’s simply easier to accept the bad luck and give in rather than try to fight back and risk getting hurt or humiliated. Sammy also sometimes has a habit of misunderstanding social stipulations which can often lead to some potentially embarrassing situations where he misreads events in his life.

Friends/Relatives: When Sammy was 3 years old he and his parents got into a car accident. Tragically they both died on route to the hospital though Sammy miraculously survived the accident relatively unharmed. His older sister Jade, who had moved out shortly after turning 18, came to take custody of Sammy rather than let him go into the system. Jade has been raising him alone ever since he was 3 years old, despite not being an expert on child rearing she seems to have done a decent job and cares for him very much. Sammy seems very attached to Jade and while he is a bit embarrassed to admit it he has come to see her as a mother figure in his life.

His older sister Jade is strong willed and often sticks up for Sammy while trying to encourage him to stand up for himself. His sister works very hard to provide for both her and Sammy and although she never got a chance to finish college because she had to come take care of Sammy she always treated her little brother as if he were her own son. He has only a few friends at school and mostly sticks to himself. One of his friends is a girl name Maria who he has had a crush on since 2nd grade, but he’s too afraid to act on it for fear of rejection. His best friend’s name is Jason, a transfer student from out of state. He became friends with Jason quickly after he entered Junior High. Jason seems confident and strong and for some reason likes to stick close to Sammy. Jason protects Sammy from the various bullies that try to pick on him.

Strengths: has an intimate familiarity with small mechanical devices and can tell when something is broken and is easily able to fix it. Has a strong empathetic side enabling him to understand the emotions and feelings of others, which enables him to easily connect on an emotional level with people. He is also an especially easy person to talk to, he always makes sure to listen to what people have to say and makes a great ear when someone has something need to talk through.

Weaknesses: His aforementioned fear of public humiliation being his foremost weakness, his secondary weakness is his lack of physical prowess, he’s fairly weak physically due to his small effeminate frame so he isn’t suited to things like fighting or athletics. He also has an embarrassing tendency of running like a little girl elbows in and forearms waving out to the sides.

Incident: Every summer Sammy would be sent off to summer camp by his sister Jade so she could take a second job to help bring in some extra money for the next school year. He’d be sent off to camp Wannahockawitz which was an outdoorsy type of camp. While Sammy had a bit of difficulty being outdoors in the wilderness Jade thought it was good for him to get outside more often to toughen him up a bit. While he’d always feel a bit out of place the other camp members were usually pretty nice and the counselors were always really kind.

One day on the last day of his summer vacation at camp, before his first day of Junior High School, he happened to come across a small red fox with it’s leg caught in an iron bear trap. Sammy being naturally empathetic freed the small creature quickly. The small fox sniffed Sammy for a few second before turning around, and for a split second flashing 3 tails and up and vanished before his eyes. Sammy thinking he was simply seeing things decided to brush it off as a daydream. Out of curiosity he looked it up to reveal that he had dreamed about a Kitsune, which is just plain silly. Why would a Japanese fox spirit be all the way out in the middle of nowhere in Indiana right?

#19 Sir Exal

Sir Exal

Still Here, somehow.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 03:48 PM

Well done. To begin soon.

#20 Sir Exal

Sir Exal

Still Here, somehow.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 12:10 AM

Prologue posted in the RP board. By the way, suggested reading:

The War For the Oaks, Emma Bull

Tithe, Emma Black

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users