Photo
- - - - -

Match 14540 Doctor Octopus vs. Golem Of Prague

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:51 PM

This is part of an arc; the last chapter is at Team Luthor vs. Luke Cage vs the Gargoyle Clan.

This is the wrap up of the Question vs. Chameleon.

The Question has kidnapped Owen Burnett and forced him to reveal the Chameleon's hideout (Chameleon had been working for David Xanatos.) Now he bursts through the door of Chameleon's office in a theatrical warehouse, thrusting Owen's handcuffed body before him.

Chameleon ducked aside as Owen stumbled past him and crashed to the floor. He fired but the Question ducked aside with uncanny reflexes. The faceless man's hand shot out, trapping his gun hand and twisting his arm in a painful hold.

Chameleon stamped down on the Question's foot and the grip slackened. Chameleon pulled away, firing again but his target continued to evade him. He grabbed a canister off a work table and tossed it to the floor where it erupted in a cloud of thick smoke. Chameleon fired twice more, then felt a stab of pain as someone chopped his wrist and he lost the gun. Question's hand appeared out of the smoke to slam into his jaw.

"Bad tactics," the faceless man said. "If you're going to use a smoke screen, don't give away your position. Now talk! Where is the Creeper?"

The smoke cleared and Question saw that the man he had a grip on was not Chameleon, but Owen Burnett. A quick glance was enough to confirm that the real Owen was still on the floor, his hands zip-tied behind his back. The distraction was enough for the Chameleon. He punched question in the face, followed by another blow to the midsection. That broke the mysterious crimefighter's grip on him and he lunged out the door.

Question followed the false Owen onto the catwalk.

"This is about the Creeper," Chameleon called back as he fled. "What does that laughing lunatic matter to you?"

"All you need to know is that it'll go badly for you unless you tell me."

Question was gaining but chameleon had another card to play. He clambered to the guard rail and tensed his body for a leap to the next catwalk.

"Don't be a fool," Question shouted. "You'll never make it."

"Oh, won't I? We'll see."

The Chameleon leaped, and his fingers brushed the railing before slipping loose. He gave a terrified scream and plummeted to the floor. He disappeared from view among the many costume racks but Question heard the thud as he hit. He raced to the nearest stairs and made his way down.

Chameleon lay, broken and unmoving on the concrete floor. His Owen mask had come off in the fall and lay beside him. The Questing hurried to his side and put two fingers against his neck. The body was still warm but there was no sign of a pulse. Death must have been instantaneous.

The Question rose and shook his head.

"Suck a needless death," he said. "And he died leaving my question unanswered. Where is the creeper?"

"Ooooh! I like it!" Joker raised the scepter and blasted another target with a plasma bolt.

"I'm glad you approve," Tinkerer said. "I hope you'll tell the Big Man how happy you are with my work."

"Big Man… Yes, I will have to talk to him about this, I suppose."

"Hey, Mista' J." Harley Quinn had entered the side leading four people: a distinguished looking man with a forked, gray beard, a regal woman in her early forties, an athletic young man of about twenty, and a pretty blonde girl, still in her teens.

"Oh goodie!" the Joker said. "The Walkers, and just in time."

"We're here," the bearded man said. "Now, what is this all about?"

"Why, you're my gang, of course," Joker replied with a grin that fairly dripped malice.

"I don't want to burst your balloon," the younger man said, "but we've already got a gang: us!"

"Now, Jack," the aristocratic woman said. "What my son means, Mr. Joker, is that we are all part of a business; a family business to be exact. We've never needed to go outside the family before, and I don't see why we should now."

Joker's face took on a look of exaggerated disappointment.

"Not family? Me? Are you sure? Maybe I'm that uncle that nobody likes to mention."

"Don't anger the man, my dear," the bearded man said to his wife, sotto vocco. "He has a deadly reputation."

"I've got lots of goodies for you," Joker continued. "Tools and weapons that'll make you even more effective than you've been. I've even worked up a new name, a motif, and costumes."

"I don't see--" Mrs. Walker was cut off as her husband squeezed her arm painfully.

"Yer gonna be the Royal Flush Gang!" Harley said, execution a pirouette.

"Yesssss…" Joker said. "Mr. Walker, you'll be the King, and your lovely wife will be Queen. Jack will be… well, he'll be out Jack, and little Melanie will be our perfect Ten."

"That doesn't make a Royal Flush," Jack said. "You're missing an ace, unless that's you or your girlfriend."

"I've already got my card, kid; and the Joker beats any card in the deck. But your point is well taken. Mr. Mason if you would?"

"My pleasure," Tinkerer said. He took a remote control out of his pocket and pressed a button. A round section of floor slid aside and a costumed man, at least seven feet tall and powerfully built, rose from it.

"Here's our Ace!" Joker said. "I keep him down there so I'll always have an Ace in the hole."

He let out a peal of maniacal laughter while the Walkers looked at each other uneasily.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"So, what do you think?" Misty Knight asked. She and Colleen were sitting in a hot tub in one of the most exclusive spas in Monte Carlo.

"I think this feels so good it's got to be sinful," Colleen replied.

"I mean what do you think about this job?"

Colleen sighed. "I think our employer likes danger. I think that she's going to keep getting into situations where we need to come to her rescue. I think one or both of us is going to get hurt before long."

"Yeah," Misty said, "but the money sure is good."

"No argument there."

"And Fox has got to slow down a little; I mean the sister's pregnant."

Colleen shook her head and said nothing.

"Hey girls, how's the water?" Fox Xanatos said, as she strolled up to the tub.

"Just about perfect," Misty said.

"Say," she continued as Fox stepped in, "How much longer are we staying in Monaco? Not that I'm complaining, mind you, but…"

"But we need to keep on the move to keep the competition guessing?"

"It would be smart," Colleen said.

"Tomorrow morning I've got a private jet taking us to Japan," Fox said. "Wel'll have a little stopover there, then on to Australia to visit my mother, then on home."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The man dressed all in white pulled three crescent shaped blades from his belt and hurled them with deadly speed and precision at the human-sized targets as they popped up. He struck each one over the heart.

"Excellent job!" David Xanatos said from the control room above.

"This is a nice little Hogan's Alley you've got, Mr. Xanatos," Marc Spector said. "And the weapons; I've never seen anything like these throwing blades for balance and penetrating power. The grapple gun is pretty amazing too, and they tell me the cape has limited gliding capability."

"Wait until you have a chance to use the vehicle," Xanatos said. "It's a flying wing with a crescent moon design."

"That's something I've been meaning to ask," Spector said. "What's with the moon motif? And why silver? I mean, the costume's impregnated with silver fibers, the truncheon's silver over titanium, the throwing blades are plated with silver. Why?"

"Do you believe in monsters, Mr. Spector?"

"Most of the monsters I've seen have been the human kind," Spector said. "But if you mean things that aren't natural… I've been to some pretty remote parts of the world and seen a few things I couldn't explain."

"Yes, I thought you'd be more open minded than most. You see, Mr. Spector, I'm a wealthy man and, like most wealthy men, I have enemies. That's all part of the game and I accept it. but I'm married now, and we recently found out my wife is pregnant."

"Congratulations."

"Thank you. It's something that makes me happier than I'd ever expected. At the same time, it opens up a vulnerability that I never thought I'd have to deal with."

"Your enemies are after your wife?"

"Yes," Xanatos said, "and they have some unorthodox methods available to them. jost two days ago, Fox was attacked by what can only be described as a pair of werewolves. Her bodyguards saved her, but bullets had no effect. If this happens again, I need someone who it specially equipped for the job."

"Okay, I'm starting to see," Spector said. "You want a knight in shining armor, but the armor, and the weapons need to be silver."

"Exactly," Xanatos said. "And I've chosen you to be mu Moon Knight."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Octopus, come out with your hands up!"

Otto Octavius chuckled at the image. "Hands up" meant something entirely different for him than for anyone else on earth. It was a foolish thing for the officer to say, but the very fact that the police were trying to stop him was evidence of their idiocy. Mere humans couldn't hope to stand up to his amazing arms.

He dropped the last of the money into the large satchel. It was heavy enough that it was hard to hold with his human arms, but he needed his mechanical appendages free for more important work. He used two of then to lift the massive vault door, which he had torn off earlier. Then, he flung it out onto the street, crushing a squad car and sending the police scurrying.

With a laugh, Octavius let his artificial limbs lift him and carry him out of the bank. Once outside, he grabbed a parked car and hurled it at the most organized group of police. Clearly outclassed, the police withdrew, hoping to regroup.

"Fools!" Octavius shouted. "Tremble before me as soon, all the world shall tremble before the omnipotent arms of Otto Octavius!"

He started to lift another car when a stony hand grabbed his arm, halting it.

"Golem!" The cry came from a man standing across the street. "Subdue him!"

********************************************************************************

Dr Octopus is the version seen in Spectacular Spider-man. Like the version of Spidey in the cartoom, he is not as powerful as the more powerful comic book versions. His arms seem to be able to lift somewhere in the 3-5 ton range.

SM108c163_1210029609-000.jpg

The Golem is the version seen in Gargoyles. It is commanded by Max Loew (the man across the street) and is immensely strong, though not terribly fast. It was seen to crush a car with a single blow, overpower a hovercraft, and subdue Goliath with one hand. No weapon used against it did any damage. For the purposes of this arc, this is the same golem that appeared in Jonny Quest, the Real Adventures. That golem was shown to be able to withstand artillery hits and overturned a tank.

Golem.png

#2 Callisto

Callisto

Goddess

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,497 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:51 PM

Learn More About
Doctor Octopus
Read more about Doctor Octopus at Wikipedia
Official Site: Marvel Entertainment Links: Wikipedia Marvel.com IMDb

Golem Of Prague
Read more about Golem Of Prague at Wikipedia
Official Site: Alpha Video Links: Wikipedia Silent Era.com enotes

#3 leroypowell3

leroypowell3

Part of the Rag-Tag Fugitive Fleet

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:10 PM

Going off of the fight parameters Doc Ock looses. I've never seen Gargoyles so I can't speak to that but I remember that Golem from Johnny Quest. A weak Doctor Octopus won't be able to destroy it.

#4 Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:26 PM

It's hard pinning down the Golem's strength level. Here's the Gargoyles episode if anyone wants a better estimate.

#5 Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:55 PM

And here's a good Octopus fight from SSM

#6 Bergy_Berg

Bergy_Berg

I don't even read comics.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:02 PM

Damn, this is a nice arc.

#7 JohnnyChany

JohnnyChany

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:18 AM

I am amazed by your vast knowledge of the Gargoyles universe. I loved that show and even I didn't remember the golem episode!

#8 Dinsdale Piranha

Dinsdale Piranha

• CBUB Match Judges
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 03:06 PM

It's one of my favorites. I fell in love with the golem legend when Marvel did a 4 issue run of golem adventures in Strange Tales.

#9 Callisto

Callisto

Goddess

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,497 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:38 AM

Match Final Results
USER RATINGS
JohnnyChany gives it a grade of [A] -
leroypowell3 gives it a grade of [A] -
SCORE