8 replies to this topic

#1 Ivan

Ivan

Canon Fodder

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 03:23 AM

I understand that the team forums were erased, which makes sense, because nobody was using them.

However, did anybody save the SLJ, AoM, and Syndicate information stored in those threads?  I can't seem to find any of it, and it would be a major pain to rewrite all of it again!

#2 treacherous

treacherous

Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the Hammer

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,777 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and stuff.

Posted 20 July 2013 - 07:48 AM

Not entirely true, I referred to those topics often. There was really no reason to respond to them as they were merely FYI. Maybe they are in the FAQ?

#3 Ivan

Ivan

Canon Fodder

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 08:54 PM

It looks like two of them were folded into the general topic board, and the third has just disappeared..

Sentinels of Liberty and Justice

The Angels of Mercy

The third thread, which may have been called "The Advantages of Syndication" seems to have disappeared (I believe the opening line was "It's true, crime is a deregulated industry.")  

I will try to get a new Syndicate write-up done this week.

#4 Ivan

Ivan

Canon Fodder

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:21 PM

Here is the rough draft of The Syndicate:

It’s true, crime is a deregulated industry.  By definition, you don’t need anyone’s permission to rob a bank, sell drugs, or murder your enemies.  There are thousands of criminal empires in the world; illicit fiefdoms where individuals survive by being clever, or brutal, or both.  The most successful of these enterprises realized long ago that survival in a world of supercops and vigilante heroes requires more than that, though.  It requires cooperation, strategy, and diplomacy.

The Syndicate represents a council of the most prosperous criminal empires in Khazan.  This “Congress of Crime” is comprised of representatives from dozens of the city’s most notorious groups of criminals, all collectively focused on working together to ensure that they don’t put one-another out of business.  Among the Syndicate there are more conservative factions which favor maintenance of the status quo and more progressive factions which favor expansion and action, and as in any democracy the wheel of change turns slowly.  Every participating organization can send two members to the Syndicate High Council- one voting representative and one non-voting representative.  The Syndicate High Council is attended by a Deputy Secretary who has no voting or legislative power, but simply runs the procedural and organizational aspects of the meetings.  The current Deputy Secretary is Mr. Twist, a man with an extraordinary talent for numbers, who exhibits overwhelming politeness.  This is part of his charm: although he has no real power in The Syndicate, Mr. Twist commands the respect of so many important, powerful people that he can afford to be nice to everyone.

The hierarchy is headed by the Syndicate High Council, but there is a separate group simply referred to as The Body which is comprised of five councilors.  These five individuals are tasked with enforcing the Syndicate’s decisions.  This is done by keeping tabs on the various member organizations within The Syndicate and ensuring they are abiding by the agreed-upon decisions.  The balance of that is maintained financially- The Body’s operating budget comes entirely from taxes levied against member groups, ensuring that while they all agree oversight of their competitors is necessary, they enjoy a measure of control over The Body’s purse strings which helps dissuade personal agendas.  The de facto spokesman for The Body is councilor Dawkins, known as “Dodger,” who runs an upscale art gallery in Villa Lobos and does contract work as one of the best professional appraisers in Khazan.  There are four additional spots open on The Body for any creators who wish to specifically have their characters involved in the internal politics of The Syndicate.

A note on terminology:  "The Syndicate" is an umbrella term which refers to the collective proper noun of the organization and all its constituents.  Any individual who is a member of any criminal organization which participates in The Syndicate is by default a part of The Syndicate.  By contrast, the term "Syndicate High Council" refers to those Syndicate members who represent their respective organizations and actually sit on the council.

#5 Ivan

Ivan

Canon Fodder

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:23 PM

Going to try to redo the other team information write-ups to be more concise and open.

#6 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:39 PM

I propose a tournament for the Body spots!! Each person running has to have some interesting goal they want for the Syndicate. Not necessary a character sheet that would run in the FPL - they don't have to have powers. Who's with me? Who wants to make this tournament happen!

#7 Nihlium

Nihlium

I like it on Omicron Ceti III, Jim

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:Those things.You know what I'm talking about. Yeah, all of that stuff.

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:13 PM

I'd definitely would be interested in that (not that surprising). I think it's obvious who I would put in the tourny (Mr.Styx).

#8 Ivan

Ivan

Canon Fodder

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:41 PM

That's cool, but the councilors who serve the Syndicate Body shouldn't have agendas- they're the Internal Affairs type of folks who make sure everyone else is playing by the rules.  They also serve as judge and jury in the case of any disagreements between Syndicate members that can't be solved legislatively.

#9 Pseudonym

Pseudonym

Aqualad

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:44 PM

Ah, I see. I completely misinterpreted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users