83 replies to this topic

#81 Ivan

Ivan

Canon Fodder

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:52 PM

You're talking about The Beatles and Nirvana, presumably because none of you have ever heard of Elvis Costello?  Heh.  It is interesting that people are alternately praising and bashing The Beatles, but nobody is registering an opinion on, say, The Stones or Queen or The Smiths or The Clash or Radiohead or even Oasis, all the hindsight that makes The Beatles worth listening to, because so much of rock history is a kind of reactionary modernity.  You're clinging to the symbolic aspect of The Beatles as a Popular Band, without understanding anything.

More to the point, the entire structure of this argument has been "Well, man, music doesn't NEED ____ to be good," which is so stupid because you're being anti-essentialist, while naively clinging to the notion that an objective litmus for qualitative "good" exists anywhere in art.  

#82 comic_book_fan

comic_book_fan

Believes Han shot first

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:57 PM

You're talking about The Beatles and Nirvana, presumably because none of you have ever heard of Elvis Costello?  Heh.  It is interesting that people are alternately praising and bashing The Beatles, but nobody is registering an opinion on, say, The Stones or Queen or The Smiths or The Clash or Radiohead or even Oasis, all the hindsight that makes The Beatles worth listening to, because so much of rock history is a kind of reactionary modernity.  You're clinging to the symbolic aspect of The Beatles as a Popular Band, without understanding anything.

More to the point, the entire structure of this argument has been "Well, man, music doesn't NEED ____ to be good," which is so stupid because you're being anti-essentialist, while naively clinging to the notion that an objective litmus for qualitative "good" exists anywhere in art.  

the stones are great queen was good had some great songs  I have never heard of the smiths  the clash had some good songs and Radiohead was mentioned earlier in the discussion  don't much care fore oasis either way.

#83 silversurfer092

silversurfer092

Yeezus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:38 PM

If you're talking to me, I'm actually a real big fan of The Smiths. Queen is okay, Oasis is a control freak who wishes he was Paul McCartney (but has put out some good music, so touche). Radiohead has some cd's I love and some I don't care for, and I like some Clash songs too. I've heard of Elvis Costello but never checked him out. I'm clinging to the symbolic aspect of The Beatles because that's the one most easily understood or most well known by everyone else. Do you think people talking about how modern music is total shit have ever heard of The Smiths or Radiohead? I'd bet that they don't.

It's rather my definition of music is the actual music. The sounds made by instruments and vocal chords, not the words that someone is saying. I like lyrics, my favorite album is my favorite album because of the lyrics. But to me, the music, the actual music, is the important part in music.

#84 force_echo

force_echo

Pretentious, Obnoxious, Annoying...humanity's last hope

• CBUB Match Judges
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,750 posts
  • Interests:Anything Interesting

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:28 PM

Complaining about "bad taste"  on a site where people read superhero comics, watch shonen anime, and listen to corporate rock?  

Achievement Unlocked:  Irony

And first person shooters, don't forget about them. Despicable things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users